Smart people choose Free Software - Linux

This is a discussion on Smart people choose Free Software - Linux ; Jeremy Fisher wrote: > Invisible unattributed poster wrote: >> It clones Unix, it clones the Windows UI, but it never does >> anything new. Like Windows clones the Mac, which cloned Xerox, you mean? > "it clones the Windows UI" ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: The Smartest People choose what works best for them.

    Jeremy Fisher wrote:
    > Invisible unattributed poster wrote:

    >> It clones Unix, it clones the Windows UI, but it never does
    >> anything new.

    Like Windows clones the Mac, which cloned Xerox, you mean?

    > "it clones the Windows UI"

    Actually, it doesn't. The basic paradigms for graphical interfaces are
    well established, and were certainly not established by Windows. There
    is undoubtedly "cloning" going on across the whole industry, but it is
    equally attributable to /all/ parties.

    Indeed, there have been almost no genuinely original ideas from /any/
    software platform in decades, but at least some of us try to actually
    /create/ something (however unoriginal) rather than just harvest
    so-called "IP" then falsely claim "innovation" and "rights", like
    Microsoft does:

    "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products."

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...9286351,00.htm

    > Listen very carfully Linux is not WINDOWS!, Linux is not trying to be
    > Windows, Linux is not the same as Windows.

    Thank God. Although it /would/ be if certain people had their way (de
    Icaza). More to the point, people invariably use Linux to get /away/
    from Windows. What exactly would be the point of that, if Linux was just
    a "Windows clone"? Our troll friend seems to have missed that.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    18:02:53 up 86 days, 15:38, 4 users, load average: 0.09, 0.25, 0.16

  2. Re: The Smartest People choose what works best for them.

    ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 16 March 2008 18:03 : \____

    > Jeremy Fisher wrote:
    >> Invisible unattributed poster wrote:

    >>> It clones Unix, it clones the Windows UI, but it never does
    >>> anything new.

    > Like Windows clones the Mac, which cloned Xerox, you mean?
    >
    >> "it clones the Windows UI"

    > Actually, it doesn't. The basic paradigms for graphical interfaces are
    > well established, and were certainly not established by Windows. There
    > is undoubtedly "cloning" going on across the whole industry, but it is
    > equally attributable to /all/ parties.
    >
    > Indeed, there have been almost no genuinely original ideas from /any/
    > software platform in decades, but at least some of us try to actually
    > /create/ something (however unoriginal) rather than just harvest
    > so-called "IP" then falsely claim "innovation" and "rights", like
    > Microsoft does:
    >
    > "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products."
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...9286351,00.htm
    >
    >> Listen very carfully Linux is not WINDOWS!, Linux is not trying to be
    >> Windows, Linux is not the same as Windows.

    > Thank God. Although it /would/ be if certain people had their way (de
    > Icaza). More to the point, people invariably use Linux to get /away/
    > from Windows. What exactly would be the point of that, if Linux was just
    > a "Windows clone"? Our troll friend seems to have missed that.

    Yesterday, in BN.com, someone brought it to my attention that Novell has the
    ability to change Mono licensing... long story short... projects that are
    based on Mono can have their ownership bent. This had me worried because of
    seniors who predict that Microsoft might acquire Novell as its value declines
    (which it already does).

    Guess who produly wrote an article about Mono last night (promoting
    MonoDevelop)? Maureen O'Gara, the woman who loves SCO and does crusades.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
    04:05:01 up 52 days, 13:59, 4 users, load average: 1.18, 1.25, 1.25

  3. Re: The Smartest People choose what works best for them.

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Yesterday, in BN.com, someone brought it to my attention that Novell
    > has the ability to change Mono licensing

    Yes. I confronted de Icaza about that directly, in Message-ID:
    :

    "When a developer contributes code to the C# compiler or the Mono
    runtime engine, we require that the author grants Novell the right to
    relicense his/her contribution under other licensing terms.

    This allows Novell to re-distribute the Mono source code to parties that
    might not want to use the GPL or LGPL versions of the code.

    Particularly embedded system vendors obtain grants to the Mono runtime
    engine and modify it for their own purposes without having to release
    those changes back."

    This would essentially preclude anyone from protecting their
    contributions, to the core of Mono, from being exploited in such a way
    that destroys the intended freedom of that contribution. Effectively,
    this is a GPL circumvention device, in the vein of Tivoisation.

    That does not seem at all consistent with the principles of Free Software.
    Needless to say, I never did get a response from de Icaza. I don't think
    there /can/ be any response, other than dumping Mono.

    > Guess who produly wrote an article about Mono last night (promoting
    > MonoDevelop)? Maureen O'Gara, the woman who loves SCO and does
    > crusades.

    Ah yes. Here's what Wiki-P has to say about Maureen O'Partner(sic):

    During the first week of May 2005, Maureen O'Gara, a writer for Linux
    Business News, wrote an exposé aiming to unmask Pamela Jones. The
    article included alleged but unverified personal information about
    Jones[12] including a photo of Jones' supposed house and purported
    addresses and phone numbers for Jones and her mother. After a flood of
    emailed complaints to the publisher, lobbying of the site's advertisers,
    and claims of a denial-of-service attack launched against the Sys-Con
    domain, Linux Business News' publisher Sys-Con issued a public apology,
    and dropped O'Gara and her LinuxGram column. G2 Computer Intelligence, a
    news publication company owned by O'Gara, appears in bankruptcy filings
    as a creditor[18] of SCO Operations, a subsidiary of The SCO Group.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groklaw

    This MO looks chillingly familiar. I wonder if Maureen O'Partner is
    actually flatfish? S/h/it does claim to be female, after all.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    11:47:40 up 87 days, 9:23, 4 users, load average: 4.09, 4.53, 4.76

  4. Re: The Smartest People choose what works best for them.

    ____/ [H]omer on Monday 17 March 2008 11:48 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday, in BN.com, someone brought it to my attention that Novell
    >> has the ability to change Mono licensing

    > Yes. I confronted de Icaza about that directly, in Message-ID:
    > :
    >

    > "When a developer contributes code to the C# compiler or the Mono
    > runtime engine, we require that the author grants Novell the right to
    > relicense his/her contribution under other licensing terms.
    >
    > This allows Novell to re-distribute the Mono source code to parties that
    > might not want to use the GPL or LGPL versions of the code.
    >
    > Particularly embedded system vendors obtain grants to the Mono runtime
    > engine and modify it for their own purposes without having to release
    > those changes back."
    >
    > This would essentially preclude anyone from protecting their
    > contributions, to the core of Mono, from being exploited in such a way
    > that destroys the intended freedom of that contribution. Effectively,
    > this is a GPL circumvention device, in the vein of Tivoisation.
    >
    > That does not seem at all consistent with the principles of Free Software.
    >

    > Needless to say, I never did get a response from de Icaza. I don't think
    > there /can/ be any response, other than dumping Mono.
    >
    >> Guess who produly wrote an article about Mono last night (promoting
    >> MonoDevelop)? Maureen O'Gara, the woman who loves SCO and does
    >> crusades.

    > Ah yes. Here's what Wiki-P has to say about Maureen O'Partner(sic):
    >

    > During the first week of May 2005, Maureen O'Gara, a writer for Linux
    > Business News, wrote an exposé aiming to unmask Pamela Jones. The
    > article included alleged but unverified personal information about
    > Jones[12] including a photo of Jones' supposed house and purported
    > addresses and phone numbers for Jones and her mother. After a flood of
    > emailed complaints to the publisher, lobbying of the site's advertisers,
    > and claims of a denial-of-service attack launched against the Sys-Con
    > domain, Linux Business News' publisher Sys-Con issued a public apology,
    > and dropped O'Gara and her LinuxGram column. G2 Computer Intelligence, a
    > news publication company owned by O'Gara, appears in bankruptcy filings
    > as a creditor[18] of SCO Operations, a subsidiary of The SCO Group.
    >

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groklaw
    >
    > This MO looks chillingly familiar. I wonder if Maureen O'Partner is
    > actually flatfish? S/h/it does claim to be female, after all.

    That's slander in Wikipedia. There was never a DDOS attack. Even Sys-Con said
    it was a lie.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
    roy pts/2 cg093a.halls.man Sun Mar 16 08:12 still logged in

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2