[That's the one John cited yesterday and the one that got the author some hate
mail (he complained to the chief editor).]

Don't fork Linux because of Linus

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently read a blog entry on InfoWorld.com that urged the Linux community
| to fork the kernel into desktop and server versions because, according to the
| author, all Linus Torvalds cares about is big iron. Sorry, but that's both
| wrong and stupid.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119256

Related:

The value of an independent Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Isn't this what we want? Aren't we better off having the OS vendor separate
| from the application vendor separate from the database vendor? Do we really
| want our consolidating, integrating industry to leave us with fewer choices,
| not more? *
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-975...547-1017_3-0-5

Memo to Con Kolivas: why not roll your own?

,----[ Quote ]
| Kolivas, according to the interview, came up against three of the big guns in
| the kernel project - Torvalds, Andrew Morton and Ingo Molnar - when trying to
| lobby for his patches. *
|
| With free and open source software, there is a way out, if Kolivas really
| wants to put his improvements out there and prove his point. Follow de
| Raadt's example and fork the project. *
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?o...10&Itemid=1091

Fork a kernel, kill an "OS" and revolutionize the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Free Software is about restoring the freedom of computer users. But now that
| we have it, why not take things to the next level? Let's make a desktop
| operating system which will be truly irresistible, then conquer the desktop
| and make computers really fun again. *
`----

http://www.nuxified.org/article/fork...ze_the_desktop

Oracle's mixed messages on "compatibility" with Red Hat Enterprise Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| No offense, Oracle, but if it looks like a fork, smells like a fork, and acts
| like a fork, it's a fork, and "fully compatible" is simply not a credible
| guarantee. You can't change someone else's code and crown it "fully
| compatible." *
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9772650-16.html

Oracle claims no Linux ulterior motive

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle is using LinuxWorld to try and calm concerns its Enterprise Linux and
| Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) will fork Red Hat and fragment the Linux
| market. *
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...e_uln_red_hat/

Oracle's got a giant Red Hat fork coming, says spaceman

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle's assault on Linux looks to take the shape of a fork in the near
| future, according to Canonical founder and Ubuntu chief Mark Shuttleworth.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07..._oscon_ubuntu/

Is Unbreakable a long-term Linux play?

,----[ Quote ]
| After initial cynicism I have been forced to rethink my opinion on a couple
| of occassions, notably Oracle's patent pledge, the naming of customers and
| the naming of partners, although I remain unconvinced that OEL is a long-term
| strategy for the company as opposed to an attempt to disrupt the market. *
|
| Linux is clearly a long-term commitment. Oracle Enterprise Linux? Not sure.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/...eakable_1.html

Ubuntu chief: Oracle Linux has 'tactical value'

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle has the ability to support Linux, and doing so could
| have "tactical value" for the database company, the founder
| of Ubuntu Linux--and a potential Oracle partner--said Friday.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6128...8259&subj=news

Shuttleworth: Oracle-Ubuntu partnership only a matter of time

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.c...226514,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/yht7mk