[News] Microsoft must 'change its illegal behavior' - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft must 'change its illegal behavior' - Linux ; [Microsoft "smacked down", summary of recent news...] Neelie Kroes, the European competition commissioner, said the problem is what Microsoft has done with its market power. "Let me be clear, ladies and gentlemen, there is one company that will have to ...

  1. [News] Microsoft must 'change its illegal behavior'

    [Microsoft "smacked down", summary of recent news...]

    Neelie Kroes, the European competition commissioner, said the problem
    is what Microsoft has done with its market power.

    "Let me be clear, ladies and gentlemen, there is one company that will
    have to change its illegal behavior as a result of this ruling, and
    that is Microsoft," Kroes said at a news conference.

    Kroes called the court's decision "bittersweet," saying that "the
    court has confirmed the commission's view that consumers are suffering
    at the hands of Microsoft." She called on Microsoft to "desist from
    engaging in its anti-competitive conduct."

    Microsoft paid the $600 million antitrust fine long ago. And the
    ruling doesn't require the company to stop selling the full version of
    Windows in Europe, just to offer an alternative version without the
    media player. Demand for that alternative version has been tepid, at
    best.

    [Immediate financial impact on MS is small...]

    However, the Monday ruling also leaves open the possibility of
    additional fines. Kroes already fined the company an additional $351
    million in July 2006, saying that it hadn't adequately prepared the
    technical documentation for server rivals.

    Since then, Kroes has threatened further fines -- potentially totaling
    more than $1.5 billion -- over the terms Microsoft has proposed for
    the licenses. In addition to reasonable pricing, Kroes wants the terms
    to be amenable to companies that distribute open-source software....

    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...ml?source=mypi

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft must 'change its illegal behavior'

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Tuesday 18 September 2007 15:22 : \____

    > [Microsoft "smacked down", summary of recent news...]
    >
    > Neelie Kroes, the European competition commissioner, said the problem
    > is what Microsoft has done with its market power.
    >
    > "Let me be clear, ladies and gentlemen, there is one company that will
    > have to change its illegal behavior as a result of this ruling, and
    > that is Microsoft," Kroes said at a news conference.
    >
    > Kroes called the court's decision "bittersweet," saying that "the
    > court has confirmed the commission's view that consumers are suffering
    > at the hands of Microsoft." She called on Microsoft to "desist from
    > engaging in its anti-competitive conduct."

    > Microsoft paid the $600 million antitrust fine long ago. And the
    > ruling doesn't require the company to stop selling the full version of
    > Windows in Europe, just to offer an alternative version without the
    > media player. Demand for that alternative version has been tepid, at
    > best.
    >
    > [Immediate financial impact on MS is small...]
    >
    > However, the Monday ruling also leaves open the possibility of
    > additional fines. Kroes already fined the company an additional $351
    > million in July 2006, saying that it hadn't adequately prepared the
    > technical documentation for server rivals.
    >
    > Since then, Kroes has threatened further fines -- potentially totaling
    > more than $1.5 billion -- over the terms Microsoft has proposed for
    > the licenses. In addition to reasonable pricing, Kroes wants the terms
    > to be amenable to companies that distribute open-source software....
    >

    > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...ml?source=mypi

    Action in Japan, maybe Korea, and the United States to follow.

    Microsoft foresees more suits in Japan

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A legal battle between Microsoft and Japanese anti-monopoly authorities
    | is likely to conclude next year and might lead to lawsuits or other
    | patent infringement complaints against the U.S. software company,
    | an executive said Thursday.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft has been slapped with hefty fines by European Union regulators,
    | who have said Microsoft broke competition laws and abused its dominant
    | market position.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/...apan_microsoft

    This set an important precedence.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
    Tasks: 125 total, 1 running, 124 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie