P4 HT distro recommendations - Linux

This is a discussion on P4 HT distro recommendations - Linux ; Anyone with recommendations for preferably mainstream distros with good support for P4 540 HT processors? The main focus is virtualisation (using VMware), but I wouldn't mind something with a bit of eye-candy for the odd pointless demo,...

  1. P4 HT distro recommendations

    Anyone with recommendations for preferably mainstream distros with
    good support for P4 540 HT processors?

    The main focus is virtualisation (using VMware), but I wouldn't mind
    something with a bit of eye-candy for the odd pointless demo,

  2. Re: P4 HT distro recommendations

    On Sep 18, 11:36 am, seani wrote:
    > Anyone with recommendations for preferably mainstream distros with
    > good support for P4 540 HT processors?
    >
    > The main focus is virtualisation (using VMware), but I wouldn't mind
    > something with a bit of eye-candy for the odd pointless demo,

    Oh, and I made a mess of my order and ended up with a 32-but P540,
    rather than a 64-bit P541. Any first-hand experience on swapping these
    out, and whether its worth it or not?

  3. Re: P4 HT distro recommendations

    seani writes:

    > On Sep 18, 11:36 am, seani wrote:
    >> Anyone with recommendations for preferably mainstream distros with
    >> good support for P4 540 HT processors?
    >>
    >> The main focus is virtualisation (using VMware), but I wouldn't mind
    >> something with a bit of eye-candy for the odd pointless demo,

    > Oh, and I made a mess of my order and ended up with a 32-but P540,
    > rather than a 64-bit P541. Any first-hand experience on swapping these
    > out, and whether its worth it or not?

    You're asking in the wrong place. Most of the "advocates" here only
    tinker with Linux in the evening and use Windows during the day.

    Personally, I have no idea what a 64 bit P541 is and google didn't help
    much.

  4. Re: P4 HT distro recommendations

    Hadron wrote:

    > seani writes:
    >
    >> On Sep 18, 11:36 am, seani wrote:
    >>> Anyone with recommendations for preferably mainstream distros with
    >>> good support for P4 540 HT processors?
    >>>
    >>> The main focus is virtualisation (using VMware), but I wouldn't mind
    >>> something with a bit of eye-candy for the odd pointless demo,

    >> Oh, and I made a mess of my order and ended up with a 32-but P540,
    >> rather than a 64-bit P541. Any first-hand experience on swapping these
    >> out, and whether its worth it or not?
    >>

    > You're asking in the wrong place. Most of the "advocates" here only
    > tinker with Linux in the evening and use Windows during the day.
    >
    > Personally, I have no idea what a 64 bit P541 is and google didn't help
    > much.

    You didn't look very far did you?

    Pentium 4 540/541 HT CPU on a 'Prescott Core'.

    Wikipaedia has a whole list of Intels chips.

  5. Re: P4 HT distro recommendations

    Some Bloke writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> seani writes:

    >>> Oh, and I made a mess of my order and ended up with a 32-but P540,
    >>> rather than a 64-bit P541. Any first-hand experience on swapping these
    >>> out, and whether its worth it or not?
    >>>

    >> You're asking in the wrong place. Most of the "advocates" here only
    >> tinker with Linux in the evening and use Windows during the day.
    >>
    >> Personally, I have no idea what a 64 bit P541 is and google didn't help
    >> much.

    > You didn't look very far did you?

    No. I typed in "64 bit P541" and got a load of Polish back.

    > Pentium 4 540/541 HT CPU on a 'Prescott Core'.
    >
    > Wikipaedia has a whole list of Intels chips.

    Wonderful. Well, you can answer his question then.

    --
    Nessuno vuole la guerra.
    -- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy" (TOS), data astrale 3201.7

  6. Re: P4 HT distro recommendations

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:36:17 +0000, seani wrote:

    > Anyone with recommendations for preferably mainstream distros with
    > good support for P4 540 HT processors?
    >
    > The main focus is virtualisation (using VMware), but I wouldn't mind
    > something with a bit of eye-candy for the odd pointless demo,

    Practically all modern distros do that.

  7. Re: P4 HT distro recommendations

    It was on, or about, Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:55:29 +0100, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Some Bloke wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> seani writes:

    >>> Oh, and I made a mess of my order and ended up with a 32-but P540,
    >>> rather than a 64-bit P541. Any first-hand experience on swapping these
    >>> out, and whether its worth it or not?
    >>>

    >> You're asking in the wrong place. Most of the "advocates" here only
    >> tinker with Linux in the evening and use Windows during the day.

    Another stupid post from the windows advocate & COLA's village idiot,
    Quack.

    >> Personally, I have no idea what a 64 bit P541 is and google didn't help
    >> much.

    > You didn't look very far did you?

    He probably didn't even bother to look.

    > Pentium 4 540/541 HT CPU on a 'Prescott Core'.
    >
    > Wikipaedia has a whole list of Intels chips.

    --
    Quack admits to trolling: "Or are you trolling me back here?"
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:15:07

  8. Re: P4 HT distro recommendations

    ray writes:

    > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:36:17 +0000, seani wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone with recommendations for preferably mainstream distros with
    >> good support for P4 540 HT processors?
    >>
    >> The main focus is virtualisation (using VMware), but I wouldn't mind
    >> something with a bit of eye-candy for the odd pointless demo,

    > Practically all modern distros do that.

    But he is particularly interested in the Hyper Threading
    support. Frankly I know nothing about it or whether, like mmx, it ever
    really worked.

    --
    Conecto, luego existo. No conecto, luego insisto.

  9. Re: P4 HT distro recommendations

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:36:17 +0000, seani wrote:

    > Anyone with recommendations for preferably mainstream distros with
    > good support for P4 540 HT processors?
    >
    > The main focus is virtualisation (using VMware), but I wouldn't mind
    > something with a bit of eye-candy for the odd pointless demo,

    In the end, I opted for a play with a Mint Linux mini-edition (700Mb) as a
    tester - it likely won't stay that way, particularly as this was a beta
    and not promoted for widespread use.

    In brief:

    It ran from the live CD, found my network/soundcard/915 graphics etc, and
    I had an internet enabled desktop in about 30 seconds.

    Turning the 3d rotating desktop nonsense on took about 30 seconds more.

    Once I'd established it "worked", I decided to throw the dice and install
    to disk. This was done by double clicking an icon on the desktop. After
    offering to resize the existing XP Pro partition, it trundled away for 10
    minute, during which I surfed about.

    Once it had finished, rebooted and tested the existing XP Pro
    installation was intact - and it was. Rebooted into Mint and was
    disappointed to see it freeze completely when X starting. Power-cycled
    again, and it recovered itself, but with an 800x600 desktop. A bit of
    fiddling in KDE system settings, allowing adept to update, and another
    reboot, and it's back to 1280x1024 in 3D with the attendant pretty but
    useless effects.

    Downloaded, compiled and installed VMWare - no problems building the
    modules required for my kernel, and it runs up my existing VMs without
    complaint.

    Although I'll zap it again for something marked as something more
    mainstream, it was a pretty good example of how easy this sort of thing
    should be. I had to intervene at most a couple of times in the install
    process, and I had a fully functioning system to use while it did it's
    thing. Excellent.

  10. Re: P4 HT distro recommendations

    Hadron :
    > ray writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:36:17 +0000, seani wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone with recommendations for preferably mainstream distros with
    >>> good support for P4 540 HT processors?
    >>>
    >>> The main focus is virtualisation (using VMware), but I wouldn't mind
    >>> something with a bit of eye-candy for the odd pointless demo,

    >> Practically all modern distros do that.
    >>

    > But he is particularly interested in the Hyper Threading
    > support. Frankly I know nothing about it or whether, like mmx, it ever
    > really worked.

    It works, and any distro with a kernel supporting SMP will support
    hyperthreading.

    --
    Humans do claim a great deal for that particular emotion (love).
    -- Spock, "The Lights of Zetar", stardate 5725.6

    http://www.websterscafe.com

  11. Re: P4 HT distro recommendations

    Handover Phist writes:

    > Hadron :
    >> ray writes:

    >>> Practically all modern distros do that.
    >>>

    >> But he is particularly interested in the Hyper Threading
    >> support. Frankly I know nothing about it or whether, like mmx, it ever
    >> really worked.

    > It works, and any distro with a kernel supporting SMP will support
    > hyperthreading.

    I was reading up on it yesterday. Here's a good review:

    http://www.2cpu.com/articles/41_1.html

    --
    Unix weanies are as bad at this as anyone.
    -- Larry Wall in <199702111730.JAA28598@wall.org>

  12. Re: P4 HT distro recommendations

    Handover Phist wrote:

    > Hadron :
    >> ray writes:

    >>> Practically all modern distros do that.
    >>>

    >> But he is particularly interested in the Hyper Threading
    >> support. Frankly I know nothing about it or whether, like mmx, it ever
    >> really worked.

    > It works, and any distro with a kernel supporting SMP will support
    > hyperthreading.

    Strange that our resident "kernel hacker" knows absolutely nothing about
    these basic things. Which work since several years
    --
    Warning: You have moved the mouse.
    Windows will reboot now to make the change permanent

+ Reply to Thread