Remembering Why I don't like Windows - Linux

This is a discussion on Remembering Why I don't like Windows - Linux ; My wife's niece needed a "new" computer. Her's is getting long in the tooth, a Pentium Celeron 366, and her husband thinks computers are a waste of time. I saw a Gateway E 4100 in a second hand store on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

  1. Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    My wife's niece needed a "new" computer. Her's is getting long in the tooth,
    a Pentium Celeron 366, and her husband thinks computers are a waste of
    time. I saw a Gateway E 4100 in a second hand store on clearance for $125
    with monitor and keyboard. The E 4100 is a 2.4 Ghz with a Hyper Threading
    Pentium 4. Probably not that impressive to most folks reading this, but
    faster than anything I've ever used. My wife, however, has a little newer
    Gateway that runs at 3 Ghz, so she thought this would be great for her
    niece.

    Got the computer home. The old owners had added a video card that didn't
    work -- so I took that out and used the onboard video adapter. Booted okay,
    but pretty slow. Once in XP, programs wouldn't open, flaky behavior,
    couldn't change the refresh rate, etc -- obviously tons of malware -- which
    was fine, I figured I was going to reload XP anyhow. But I'm pretty sure
    that's why the old owners got rid of it. I don't have the Gateway restore
    disk, so I used an XP OEM disk from Dell. Legal, I've got the COA on the
    back of the Gateway, and once XP was loaded (and I got on the Internet) it
    activated fine -- but there was a bit of a hassle getting there.

    XP loaded fine, but the onboard Network card didn't work, the onboard sound
    card didn't work, the USB ports didn't work -- the video card worked but I
    couldn't adjust the refresh rate and it was stuck at 60hz. Ugh. So I needed
    drivers. Wait a minute, I can't get to the Internet. Time to shut off the
    Gateway and boot up my SuSE Dell. Just download the drivers to the portable
    USB drive... oh wait a minute, the USB drive doesn't work because the USB
    ports are down. Alright I'll download the drivers and burn a CD... Then it
    occurred to me. I'll just boot Mint Linux (I had a CD handy) and download
    the drivers to get Windows working. Which I did. Mint Linux had no trouble
    with the network card, the sound card or USB drives. Ahhh yes... this is
    why I like Linux.

    The needed drivers safely downloaded, I booted back into XP. Loaded the
    drivers, starting with the motherboard drivers, rebooted XP five times
    altogether and everything was working fine. Activated XP, started
    downloading updates. It rebooted again (at least this 2.4 mhz machine
    reboots fast) -- got to the 61 file security upgrade marathon Windows XP
    always runs you through. Meanwhile I had downloaded Firefox, AVG
    AntiSpyware and anti-Virus, Flash, even scanned the computer for malware
    (already had 20-some infections). Then I let Windows install the 61
    security patches, rebooted. My Free Anti-Virus software came up
    complaining that it couldn't find its license. Alright, I'll uninstall it
    and download it again.

    Ah crap. Now the network card is down. Why? I haven't got a clue. Tried
    releasing and renewing it. Tried rebooting. Nope, nope. Went into Device
    Manager, removed the network card and let XP find it again. Then released
    and renewed the network card. Success. So, what in the hell in the upgrade
    took down my network card? Sheesh! But I'm used to doing this in Windows.
    I'm used to soundcards that just quit working, until you uninstall and
    reinstall them -- it's a been a pretty good "fix" in Windows for years. I
    don't have to do that in Linux. I don't have to download Anti-Spyware or
    Anti-Virus software. I don't have to search all over the Internet for
    drivers. Unknown to me, Gateway's business machines were sold out to MPC --
    that division didn't become part of Acer. If I had loaded Linux on the
    machine instead of XP, I still wouldn't have known that -- I wouldn't have
    had any reason to learn it.

    At any rate, it's working now... I think. I haven't let it update anymore
    yet, and I have rebooted it again -- and the network card came back up. I'm
    typing this on Google documents. Windows doesn't come with a business Word
    Processor installed and, besides, I want to be able to download this to
    KNode when I get back into Linux.

    What is it you FUDites are saying? Linux is hard to install? Yeah, right.

    And, BTW, this computer has a DVD player installed. What do you think my
    chances are of playing a movie in it right now?

    A few more updates and a few more reboots, installing Nero and PowerDVD and
    the thing is ready to send. Now I'm back using Linux.

    Ahhh.... yes.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  2. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    RonB wrote:

    > Pentium Celeron 366


    Ummm... Celereon 366, that is. One of them that PeoplePC originally gave
    away if you signed for their Internet access.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:00:29 -0500, RonB wrote:
    >My wife's niece needed a "new" computer. Her's is getting long in the tooth,
    >a Pentium Celeron 366, and her husband thinks computers are a waste of
    >time. I saw a Gateway E 4100 in a second hand store on clearance for $125
    >with monitor and keyboard. The E 4100 is a 2.4 Ghz with a Hyper Threading
    >Pentium 4. Probably not that impressive to most folks reading this, but
    >faster than anything I've ever used. My wife, however, has a little newer
    >Gateway that runs at 3 Ghz, so she thought this would be great for her
    >niece.


    >Got the computer home. The old owners had added a video card that didn't
    >work -- so I took that out and used the onboard video adapter. Booted okay,
    >but pretty slow. Once in XP, programs wouldn't open, flaky behavior,
    >couldn't change the refresh rate, etc -- obviously tons of malware -- which
    >was fine, I figured I was going to reload XP anyhow. But I'm pretty sure
    >that's why the old owners got rid of it. I don't have the Gateway restore
    >disk, so I used an XP OEM disk from Dell. Legal, I've got the COA on the
    >back of the Gateway, and once XP was loaded (and I got on the Internet) it
    >activated fine -- but there was a bit of a hassle getting there.


    >XP loaded fine, but the onboard Network card didn't work, the onboard sound
    >card didn't work, the USB ports didn't work -- the video card worked but I
    >couldn't adjust the refresh rate and it was stuck at 60hz. Ugh. So I needed
    >drivers. Wait a minute, I can't get to the Internet. Time to shut off the
    >Gateway and boot up my SuSE Dell. Just download the drivers to the portable
    >USB drive... oh wait a minute, the USB drive doesn't work because the USB
    >ports are down. Alright I'll download the drivers and burn a CD... Then it
    >occurred to me. I'll just boot Mint Linux (I had a CD handy) and download
    >the drivers to get Windows working. Which I did. Mint Linux had no trouble
    >with the network card, the sound card or USB drives. Ahhh yes... this is
    >why I like Linux.


    >The needed drivers safely downloaded, I booted back into XP. Loaded the
    >drivers, starting with the motherboard drivers, rebooted XP five times
    >altogether and everything was working fine. Activated XP, started
    >downloading updates. It rebooted again (at least this 2.4 mhz machine
    >reboots fast) -- got to the 61 file security upgrade marathon Windows XP
    >always runs you through. Meanwhile I had downloaded Firefox, AVG
    >AntiSpyware and anti-Virus, Flash, even scanned the computer for malware
    >(already had 20-some infections). Then I let Windows install the 61
    >security patches, rebooted. My Free Anti-Virus software came up
    >complaining that it couldn't find its license. Alright, I'll uninstall it
    >and download it again.


    >Ah crap. Now the network card is down. Why? I haven't got a clue. Tried
    >releasing and renewing it. Tried rebooting. Nope, nope. Went into Device
    >Manager, removed the network card and let XP find it again. Then released
    >and renewed the network card. Success. So, what in the hell in the upgrade
    >took down my network card? Sheesh! But I'm used to doing this in Windows.
    >I'm used to soundcards that just quit working, until you uninstall and
    >reinstall them -- it's a been a pretty good "fix" in Windows for years. I
    >don't have to do that in Linux. I don't have to download Anti-Spyware or
    >Anti-Virus software. I don't have to search all over the Internet for
    >drivers. Unknown to me, Gateway's business machines were sold out to MPC --
    >that division didn't become part of Acer. If I had loaded Linux on the
    >machine instead of XP, I still wouldn't have known that -- I wouldn't have
    >had any reason to learn it.


    >At any rate, it's working now... I think. I haven't let it update anymore
    >yet, and I have rebooted it again -- and the network card came back up. I'm
    >typing this on Google documents. Windows doesn't come with a business Word
    >Processor installed and, besides, I want to be able to download this to
    >KNode when I get back into Linux.


    >What is it you FUDites are saying? Linux is hard to install? Yeah, right.


    I hope you didn't install WGA. It offers no advantage other than
    making windows update take 5-20 minutes to startup. Use firefox and
    http://windizupdate.62nds.com/ instead. It simply installs the critical
    updates needed and won't disable your computer if microsoft decides you
    haven't paid them enough lately.


  4. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    RonB :
    > AntiSpyware and anti-Virus, Flash, even scanned the computer for malware
    > (already had 20-some infections). Then I let Windows install the 61
    > security patches, rebooted. My Free Anti-Virus software came up


    Lucky bugger, the machine I installed XP on today needed 84.

    Windows installs will always be more difficult than Linux installs. They
    have to be very sure that you aren't stealing anything.

    --
    Hackers do it with all sorts of characters.

    www.websterscafe.com

  5. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    AZ Nomad wrote:

    > I hope you didn't install WGA. *It offers no advantage other than
    > making windows update take 5-20 minutes to startup. *Use firefox and
    > http://windizupdate.62nds.com/ instead. *It simply installs the critical
    > updates needed and won't disable your computer if microsoft decides you
    > haven't paid them enough lately.


    I don't even know what WGA is -- so, I'm afraid, I probably installed it.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  6. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    Wow, Ron. You really need to get your story straight. You contradict
    yourself several times.

    For example:

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:00:29 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > The E 4100 is a 2.4 Ghz with a Hyper Threading
    > Pentium 4. Probably not that impressive to most folks reading this, but
    > faster than anything I've ever used.


    Ok, 2.4 Ghz is faster than anything you've ever used. Wow, that's amazing
    in and of itself.

    > My wife, however, has a little newer Gateway that runs at 3 Ghz, so she
    > thought this would be great for her niece.


    You've never used your wifes computer? I find that hard to believe. But
    there you said 2.4Ghz is faster than anything you've ever used.

    > So I needed
    > drivers. Wait a minute, I can't get to the Internet. Time to shut off the
    > Gateway and boot up my SuSE Dell.


    What, you can't have two computers on at the same time?

    > Alright I'll download the drivers and burn a CD... Then it
    > occurred to me. I'll just boot Mint Linux (I had a CD handy) and download
    > the drivers to get Windows working. Which I did. Mint Linux had no trouble
    > with the network card, the sound card or USB drives. Ahhh yes... this is
    > why I like Linux.


    As is usual with people who make this argument, they take a 6 month old (or
    less) copy of Linux and compare it to a 7 year old copy of Windows, then
    complain because Windows can't find the hardware for devices that didn't
    even exist when it was created.

    I bet if you took a copy of Linux from the same time-frame it wouldn't know
    about the hardware either. But yeah, somehow this is a positive for Linux,
    and a negative for Windows. And, instead of using a version of Windows with
    current drivers you'd rather complain about how something 7 years old
    doesn't know what something 2 years old looks like.

    > even scanned the computer for malware (already had 20-some infections).


    I call bull**** on this. Unless you were off looking for hacked versions
    of programs, going to only to the sites to download the programs you
    mentioned could not have caused you to get any malware. Windows XP will
    not autmatically contract malware simply by being exposed the internet.
    You have to actively visit a site that will exploit a vulnerability you
    haven't patched yet, and installing those programs you mentioned would not
    have done that.

    > I'm
    > typing this on Google documents. Windows doesn't come with a business Word
    > Processor installed


    And you need a word processor to type a message you intend to post to a
    newsgroup? Wordpad would work just fine, as would notepad.

    > and, besides, I want to be able to download this to KNode when I get back
    > into Linux.


    That's a valid reason, but your previous one is bull****.

    > What is it you FUDites are saying? Linux is hard to install? Yeah, right.


    What would you say if I tried to install a 7 year old copy of Linux on a
    recent computer and had all kinds of problems? Who would you blame?

    Think about it.

    > And, BTW, this computer has a DVD player installed. What do you think my
    > chances are of playing a movie in it right now?


    About the same as being able to legally play a DVD on Linux in the US.

    > A few more updates and a few more reboots, installing Nero and PowerDVD and
    > the thing is ready to send. Now I'm back using Linux.


    Why do you need Nero when you only have a DVD-Player? Odd.

  7. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    Handover Phist wrote:

    > Lucky bugger, the machine I installed XP on today needed 84.
    >
    > Windows installs will always be more difficult than Linux installs. They
    > have to be very sure that you aren't stealing anything.


    The second round of updates -- after I updated to SP2 -- required another
    50+ security patches. The only thing I didn't let it load was IE 7.

    Too bad we aren't all using Linux.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  8. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 01:36:45 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > Wow, Ron. You really need to get your story straight. You contradict
    > yourself several times.
    >
    > For example:
    >
    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:00:29 -0500, RonB wrote:
    >
    >> The E 4100 is a 2.4 Ghz with a Hyper Threading
    >> Pentium 4. Probably not that impressive to most folks reading this, but
    >> faster than anything I've ever used.

    >
    > Ok, 2.4 Ghz is faster than anything you've ever used. Wow, that's amazing
    > in and of itself.
    >
    >> My wife, however, has a little newer Gateway that runs at 3 Ghz, so she
    >> thought this would be great for her niece.

    >
    > You've never used your wifes computer? I find that hard to believe. But
    > there you said 2.4Ghz is faster than anything you've ever used.
    >
    >> So I needed
    >> drivers. Wait a minute, I can't get to the Internet. Time to shut off the
    >> Gateway and boot up my SuSE Dell.

    >
    > What, you can't have two computers on at the same time?
    >
    >> Alright I'll download the drivers and burn a CD... Then it
    >> occurred to me. I'll just boot Mint Linux (I had a CD handy) and download
    >> the drivers to get Windows working. Which I did. Mint Linux had no trouble
    >> with the network card, the sound card or USB drives. Ahhh yes... this is
    >> why I like Linux.

    >
    > As is usual with people who make this argument, they take a 6 month old (or
    > less) copy of Linux and compare it to a 7 year old copy of Windows, then
    > complain because Windows can't find the hardware for devices that didn't
    > even exist when it was created.
    >
    > I bet if you took a copy of Linux from the same time-frame it wouldn't know
    > about the hardware either. But yeah, somehow this is a positive for Linux,
    > and a negative for Windows. And, instead of using a version of Windows with
    > current drivers you'd rather complain about how something 7 years old
    > doesn't know what something 2 years old looks like.
    >
    >> even scanned the computer for malware (already had 20-some infections).

    >
    > I call bull**** on this. Unless you were off looking for hacked versions
    > of programs, going to only to the sites to download the programs you
    > mentioned could not have caused you to get any malware. Windows XP will
    > not autmatically contract malware simply by being exposed the internet.
    > You have to actively visit a site that will exploit a vulnerability you
    > haven't patched yet, and installing those programs you mentioned would not
    > have done that.
    >
    >> I'm
    >> typing this on Google documents. Windows doesn't come with a business Word
    >> Processor installed

    >
    > And you need a word processor to type a message you intend to post to a
    > newsgroup? Wordpad would work just fine, as would notepad.
    >
    >> and, besides, I want to be able to download this to KNode when I get back
    >> into Linux.

    >
    > That's a valid reason, but your previous one is bull****.
    >
    >> What is it you FUDites are saying? Linux is hard to install? Yeah, right.

    >
    > What would you say if I tried to install a 7 year old copy of Linux on a
    > recent computer and had all kinds of problems? Who would you blame?
    >
    > Think about it.
    >
    >> And, BTW, this computer has a DVD player installed. What do you think my
    >> chances are of playing a movie in it right now?

    >
    > About the same as being able to legally play a DVD on Linux in the US.
    >
    >> A few more updates and a few more reboots, installing Nero and PowerDVD and
    >> the thing is ready to send. Now I'm back using Linux.

    >
    > Why do you need Nero when you only have a DVD-Player? Odd.


    Hahaha!

    Nice dissection Erik!

    This guy makes Kelsey look like a Nobel Prize winner.

    Rule #1 is that if you are going to make up a "Windows ruined my life"
    story, at least get your facts straight.
    That's where Kelsey screws up every time.

    This guy RonB is a bucket of bolts though

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 01:36:45 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > Windows XP will
    > not autmatically contract malware simply by being exposed the internet.


    Is that so?

    > You have to actively visit a site that will exploit a vulnerability you
    > haven't patched yet, and installing those programs you mentioned would
    > not have done that.


    And how, pray, will the average user be able to know which sites to avoid?

    See:
    http://www.news.com/2100-7349_3-5313402.html


    Don't connect that new PC to the Internet before taking security
    precautions, researchers at the Internet Storm Center warned Tuesday.
    According to the researchers, an unpatched Windows PC connected to the
    Internet will last for only about 20 minutes before it's compromised by
    malware, on average. That figure is down from around 40 minutes, the
    group's estimate in 2003.





  10. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    Erik Funkenbusch writes:

    > Wow, Ron. You really need to get your story straight. You contradict
    > yourself several times.


    RonB is surely HPT? As inept and almost as boring.

    >
    > For example:
    >
    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:00:29 -0500, RonB wrote:
    >
    >> The E 4100 is a 2.4 Ghz with a Hyper Threading
    >> Pentium 4. Probably not that impressive to most folks reading this, but
    >> faster than anything I've ever used.

    >
    > Ok, 2.4 Ghz is faster than anything you've ever used. Wow, that's amazing
    > in and of itself.


    Yup.

    >
    >> My wife, however, has a little newer Gateway that runs at 3 Ghz, so she
    >> thought this would be great for her niece.

    >
    > You've never used your wifes computer? I find that hard to believe. But
    > there you said 2.4Ghz is faster than anything you've ever used.


    And the "I have a woman" pose - a bit of a "He Man" amongst COLA zealots.

    >
    >> So I needed
    >> drivers. Wait a minute, I can't get to the Internet. Time to shut off the
    >> Gateway and boot up my SuSE Dell.

    >
    > What, you can't have two computers on at the same time?


    Or run two lies it seems.

    >
    >> Alright I'll download the drivers and burn a CD... Then it
    >> occurred to me. I'll just boot Mint Linux (I had a CD handy) and download
    >> the drivers to get Windows working. Which I did. Mint Linux had no trouble
    >> with the network card, the sound card or USB drives. Ahhh yes... this is
    >> why I like Linux.

    >
    > As is usual with people who make this argument, they take a 6 month old (or
    > less) copy of Linux and compare it to a 7 year old copy of Windows, then
    > complain because Windows can't find the hardware for devices that didn't
    > even exist when it was created.
    >
    > I bet if you took a copy of Linux from the same time-frame it wouldn't know
    > about the hardware either. But yeah, somehow this is a positive for Linux,
    > and a negative for Windows. And, instead of using a version of Windows with
    > current drivers you'd rather complain about how something 7 years old
    > doesn't know what something 2 years old looks like.


    Thats how they work.

    >
    >> even scanned the computer for malware (already had 20-some infections).

    >
    > I call bull**** on this. Unless you were off looking for hacked versions
    > of programs, going to only to the sites to download the programs you
    > mentioned could not have caused you to get any malware. Windows XP will
    > not autmatically contract malware simply by being exposed the internet.
    > You have to actively visit a site that will exploit a vulnerability you
    > haven't patched yet, and installing those programs you mentioned would not
    > have done that.


    He is a documented liar.

    >
    >> I'm
    >> typing this on Google documents. Windows doesn't come with a business Word
    >> Processor installed

    >
    > And you need a word processor to type a message you intend to post to a
    > newsgroup? Wordpad would work just fine, as would notepad.


    Or Open Office which, as on Linux, is a download away.

    >
    >> and, besides, I want to be able to download this to KNode when I get back
    >> into Linux.

    >
    > That's a valid reason, but your previous one is bull****.
    >
    >> What is it you FUDites are saying? Linux is hard to install? Yeah, right.

    >
    > What would you say if I tried to install a 7 year old copy of Linux on a
    > recent computer and had all kinds of problems? Who would you blame?
    >
    > Think about it.
    >
    >> And, BTW, this computer has a DVD player installed. What do you think my
    >> chances are of playing a movie in it right now?

    >
    > About the same as being able to legally play a DVD on Linux in the US.
    >
    >> A few more updates and a few more reboots, installing Nero and PowerDVD and
    >> the thing is ready to send. Now I'm back using Linux.

    >
    > Why do you need Nero when you only have a DVD-Player? Odd.


  11. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > As is usual with people who make this argument, they take a 6 month old (or
    > less) copy of Linux and compare it to a 7 year old copy of Windows, then
    > complain because Windows can't find the hardware for devices that didn't
    > even exist when it was created.


    But, but, I thought SP2 for XP was only a couple years old!

    >> And, BTW, this computer has a DVD player installed. What do you think my
    >> chances are of playing a movie in it right now?

    >
    > About the same as being able to legally play a DVD on Linux in the US.


    Ah, the old DVD playback is illegal on Linux bull****.

    >> A few more updates and a few more reboots, installing Nero and PowerDVD and
    >> the thing is ready to send. Now I'm back using Linux.

    >
    > Why do you need Nero when you only have a DVD-Player? Odd.


    What, will WMP play DVDs?

    The fact is, unless you have all the vendor CDs, installing XP is a
    royal pain in the ass, even with SP2.

    Been there, done that.

    --
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people
    want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when
    every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary
    gods for mercy.
    -- Bill Gates

  12. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    Robin T Cox wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 01:36:45 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:


    >> Windows XP will not autmatically contract malware simply by being
    >> exposed the internet.

    >
    > Is that so?


    No, it's utter bull****. I've had an XP system infected /before/ the OS
    had even completed /re-installing/!!! Specifically the Blaster worm,
    which caused the infamous "Windows must now restart because the RPC
    service terminated unexpectedly" continuous reboot cycle.

    >> You have to actively visit a site that will exploit a vulnerability
    >> you haven't patched yet, and installing those programs you
    >> mentioned would not have done that.

    >
    > And how, pray, will the average user be able to know which sites to
    > avoid?


    Presumably anything in the Microsoft netblocks, for a start, if just
    installing the OS causes infection. Then again, with Windows chronic
    insecurity, it's just as likely to be an unsolicited incoming attack.

    > See: http://www.news.com/2100-7349_3-5313402.html
    >
    > Don't connect that new PC to the Internet before taking
    > security precautions, researchers at the Internet Storm Center warned
    > Tuesday. According to the researchers, an unpatched Windows PC
    > connected to the Internet will last for only about 20 minutes before
    > it's compromised by malware, on average. That figure is down from
    > around 40 minutes, the group's estimate in 2003.


    More like about 20 seconds, IME.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | 'When it comes to knowledge, "ownership" just doesn't make sense'
    | ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian. http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8
    `----

    Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.23.8-63.fc8
    11:51:18 up 83 days, 9:27, 4 users, load average: 0.05, 0.06, 0.08

  13. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    [H]omer wrote:

    >> See: http://www.news.com/2100-7349_3-5313402.html
    >>
    >> Don't connect that new PC to the Internet before taking
    >> security precautions, researchers at the Internet Storm Center warned
    >> Tuesday. According to the researchers, an unpatched Windows PC
    >> connected to the Internet will last for only about 20 minutes before
    >> it's compromised by malware, on average. That figure is down from
    >> around 40 minutes, the group's estimate in 2003.

    >
    >More like about 20 seconds, IME.


    It's really amazing that M$ hasn't released an XP SP3, or other
    security roll-up release. A new SP2 install is literally years
    behind, until the lengthily update process is done.


  14. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:34:56 -0500, RonB wrote:
    >AZ Nomad wrote:


    >> I hope you didn't install WGA. *It offers no advantage other than
    >> making windows update take 5-20 minutes to startup. *Use firefox and
    >> http://windizupdate.62nds.com/ instead. *It simply installs the critical
    >> updates needed and won't disable your computer if microsoft decides you
    >> haven't paid them enough lately.


    >I don't even know what WGA is -- so, I'm afraid, I probably installed it.

    You might seriously considering starting over. WGA is serious malware.

    With spybot, you can probably remove it. Windows update will break, but
    you can use windizupdate instead. You'll also be denied some bloatware
    like media player 10+, but you can download a full ("redist") copy from
    elsewhere and install it without the WGA check. I think. Or better yet,
    use somebody'e else's media player. Nearly all are superior.


  15. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:17:24 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:
    >On 2008-03-13, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:


    >>> Alright I'll download the drivers and burn a CD... Then it
    >>> occurred to me. I'll just boot Mint Linux (I had a CD handy) and download
    >>> the drivers to get Windows working. Which I did. Mint Linux had no trouble
    >>> with the network card, the sound card or USB drives. Ahhh yes... this is
    >>> why I like Linux.

    >>
    >> As is usual with people who make this argument, they take a 6 month old (or
    >> less) copy of Linux and compare it to a 7 year old copy of Windows, then
    >> complain because Windows can't find the hardware for devices that didn't
    >> even exist when it was created.


    >You're right. Network cards weren't invented until somewhere around
    >'05. USB is even newer than that. And sound cards, hell, those things
    >are so new it's a wonder they work on /anything/ yet.


    You amazing idiot. Where did you get the insane notion that every
    single network card and usb driver uses the same hardware since they
    were first invented?

    XP can't even handle a realtek 8139 without a driver disk and it is the
    most popular network 10/100 network interface used in the last 10 years.

  16. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:44:56 -0500, chrisv wrote:
    >[H]omer wrote:


    >>> See: http://www.news.com/2100-7349_3-5313402.html
    >>>
    >>> Don't connect that new PC to the Internet before taking
    >>> security precautions, researchers at the Internet Storm Center warned
    >>> Tuesday. According to the researchers, an unpatched Windows PC
    >>> connected to the Internet will last for only about 20 minutes before
    >>> it's compromised by malware, on average. That figure is down from
    >>> around 40 minutes, the group's estimate in 2003.

    >>
    >>More like about 20 seconds, IME.


    >It's really amazing that M$ hasn't released an XP SP3, or other
    >security roll-up release. A new SP2 install is literally years
    >behind, until the lengthily update process is done.


    That would mean that XP still exists.

    Microsoft is still at war against hackers with their WGA. They're on probably
    their sixth version and all have been broken. Perhaps microsoft is waiting
    until they make what they think is an unbreakable WGA before they assemble
    a new service pack.

  17. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    Sinister Midget wrote:
    > On 2008-03-13, Erik Funkenbusch
    > claimed:


    >> As is usual with people who make this argument, they take a 6 month
    >> old (or less) copy of Linux and compare it to a 7 year old copy of
    >> Windows, then complain because Windows can't find the hardware for
    >> devices that didn't even exist when it was created.


    Well by all means let's compare "a 6 month old (or less) copy of Linux"
    with the Vole's brand-spanking new Vista, with its chronic lack of
    drivers. However, usually whenever anyone mentions Vista, the Trolls
    suddenly go silent, so it's a pretty short conversation.

    > You're right. Network cards weren't invented until somewhere around
    > '05. USB is even newer than that. And sound cards, hell, those things
    > are so new it's a wonder they work on /anything/ yet.


    Fuddie's just shuffling as usual. The hardware's always either "too new"
    to be supported by XP, or "too old" to be supported by Vista. The funny
    thing is, Linux seems to cope with most of that same hardware, both old
    /and/ new. Indeed, a lot of hardware won't work even with XP, regardless
    of how old or new it is (I can list several examples from personal
    experience). As for Vista ... Windows 7 will probably have come and gone
    before Vista even starts to get anywhere near as much hardware support
    as Linux has /now/.

    It's WinME all over again, only funnier.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | 'When it comes to knowledge, "ownership" just doesn't make sense'
    | ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian. http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8
    `----

    Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.23.8-63.fc8
    14:18:04 up 83 days, 11:53, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.04

  18. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    [H]omer wrote:

    > Well by all means let's compare "a 6 month old (or less) copy of
    > Linux" with the Vole's brand-spanking new Vista, with its chronic
    > lack of drivers. However, usually whenever anyone mentions Vista, the
    > Trolls suddenly go silent, so it's a pretty short conversation.


    What do you want to talk about, [C]lown?




  19. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:43:55 -0400, Linonut wrote:


    > Ah, the old DVD playback is illegal on Linux bull****.


    Depending upon where you live it is.



    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: Remembering Why I don't like Windows

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:43:55 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> As is usual with people who make this argument, they take a 6 month old (or
    >> less) copy of Linux and compare it to a 7 year old copy of Windows, then
    >> complain because Windows can't find the hardware for devices that didn't
    >> even exist when it was created.

    >
    > But, but, I thought SP2 for XP was only a couple years old!


    He didn't install XP with SP2. He installed either the GA or SP1, because
    he admitted he had to install SP2 as a patch later.

    >>> And, BTW, this computer has a DVD player installed. What do you think my
    >>> chances are of playing a movie in it right now?

    >>
    >> About the same as being able to legally play a DVD on Linux in the US.

    >
    > Ah, the old DVD playback is illegal on Linux bull****.


    In the US it is, it violates the DMCA. I agree with everyone that it
    shouldn't, but it does.

    >>> A few more updates and a few more reboots, installing Nero and PowerDVD and
    >>> the thing is ready to send. Now I'm back using Linux.

    >>
    >> Why do you need Nero when you only have a DVD-Player? Odd.

    >
    > What, will WMP play DVDs?


    If you install a codec, but that's beside the point, he installed PowerDVD
    to play DVD's, Nero is pointless if you don't have a burner.

    > The fact is, unless you have all the vendor CDs, installing XP is a
    > royal pain in the ass, even with SP2.


    The only driver you typically need is the network driver, then you can get
    the rest either through Windows Update (80% of the time) or going to the
    vendors site. I don't find that a pain in the ass at all.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast