[News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux - Linux ; You only know good when you've seen bad... ,----[ Quote ] | Paula is not an unintelligent woman. She holds a PhD. in her field and a | famous publication relevant to her profession recently published a paper of | ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

  1. [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    You only know good when you've seen bad...

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Paula is not an unintelligent woman. She holds a PhD. in her field and a
    | famous publication relevant to her profession recently published a paper of
    | hers. No, Paula isn't stupid by any measure. Maybe you can help me with the
    | descriptors here.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Sbe was desperate to have us fix her existing Windows machine. She stated
    | that she had so many viruses on it that it would rarely boot but when it did,
    | it was almost useless. I explained to her that "We don't do Windows" and gave
    | her a brief explanation of what we did and how she could benefit.
    |
    | No sale...she thanked us and hung up.
    |
    | Then called back two days later.
    |
    | She wasn't kidding about the viruses. ClamAV reported 163 viruses active and
    | we lost count of spyware applications somewhere around 400. It was truly a
    | sight to behold. I have never seen viruses fight each other for dominance. I
    | booted the live cd while she sat next to me and for 20 minutes, I showed her
    | how Linux worked. When I thought she was comfortable with it, I let her have
    | the chair.
    `----

    http://wearenixed.blogspot.com/2008/...-seen-bad.html

    Related:

    In zombies we trust

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A little over a year ago, I wrote an editorial where in back-of-the-envelope
    | style (.pdf) I estimated that perhaps 15-30% of all privately owned computers
    | were no longer under the sole control of their owner. In the intervening
    | months, I received a certain amount of hate mail but in those intervening
    | months Vint Cert guessed 20-40%, Microsoft said 2/3rds, and IDC suggested
    | 3/4ths. It is thus a conservative risk position to assume that any random
    | counterparty stands a fair chance of being already compromised. * * *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=661

    Over 50% of corporate desktops infected with malware: IronPort

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The report also reveals that more than 50% of corporate desktops
    | worldwide are infected with some type of spyware with the rate of
    | infection as high as 70% in the United States. Trojans or malicious
    | system monitors represented over 7% of the infections. Rootkits and
    | trick loaders, which reinstall spyware and other obfuscation techniques,
    | make remediation very difficult thus prevention is the key to stopping
    | these threats.
    `----

    http://www.crn-india.com/breakingnew...ies/66870.html

    Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
    | 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
    | the BBC reports.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

  2. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 03:24:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > You only know good when you've seen bad...

    Exactly what most people say after they have tried Linux and gone back to
    Windows.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [Roy Schestowitz misrepresents another article] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux (was: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux)

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 03:24:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > You only know good when you've seen bad...
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Paula is not an unintelligent woman. She holds a PhD. in her field and a
    >| famous publication relevant to her profession recently published a paper of
    >| hers. No, Paula isn't stupid by any measure. Maybe you can help me with the
    >| descriptors here.
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| Sbe was desperate to have us fix her existing Windows machine. She stated
    >| that she had so many viruses on it that it would rarely boot but when it did,
    >| it was almost useless. I explained to her that "We don't do Windows" and gave
    >| her a brief explanation of what we did and how she could benefit.
    >|
    >| No sale...she thanked us and hung up.
    >|
    >| Then called back two days later.
    >|
    >| She wasn't kidding about the viruses. ClamAV reported 163 viruses active and
    >| we lost count of spyware applications somewhere around 400. It was truly a
    >| sight to behold. I have never seen viruses fight each other for dominance. I
    >| booted the live cd while she sat next to me and for 20 minutes, I showed her
    >| how Linux worked. When I thought she was comfortable with it, I let her have
    >| the chair.
    > `----
    >
    > http://wearenixed.blogspot.com/2008/...-seen-bad.html

    Once again, Roy, you misrepresent an article. The article is *NOT*
    positive about linux, and in fact contains good examples of bad advocacy.

    1) The vendor assured his client that Linux was immune to viruses, but lo
    and behold the customer got those viruses anyways running under Wine.

    2) The vendor sold the system as simple and easy to use, but he got calls
    within hours because the customer had ****ed up their system, then refused
    to help them with their problem (basically an RTFM response).

    3) The customers only resort was to go out and buy a new computer, and when
    she ****ed that up (based on the vendors statements to the customer that
    antivirus software was evil) he wants nothing to do with her.

    The title of the article might be "Viruses drive customer to Linux, but
    complexity and vendor arrogance drive them back to windows."

  4. Re: [Roy Schestowitz misrepresents another article] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:03:46 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 03:24:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> You only know good when you've seen bad...
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Paula is not an unintelligent woman. She holds a PhD. in her field and a
    >>| famous publication relevant to her profession recently published a paper of
    >>| hers. No, Paula isn't stupid by any measure. Maybe you can help me with the
    >>| descriptors here.
    >>|
    >>| [...]
    >>|
    >>| Sbe was desperate to have us fix her existing Windows machine. She stated
    >>| that she had so many viruses on it that it would rarely boot but when it did,
    >>| it was almost useless. I explained to her that "We don't do Windows" and gave
    >>| her a brief explanation of what we did and how she could benefit.
    >>|
    >>| No sale...she thanked us and hung up.
    >>|
    >>| Then called back two days later.
    >>|
    >>| She wasn't kidding about the viruses. ClamAV reported 163 viruses active and
    >>| we lost count of spyware applications somewhere around 400. It was truly a
    >>| sight to behold. I have never seen viruses fight each other for dominance. I
    >>| booted the live cd while she sat next to me and for 20 minutes, I showed her
    >>| how Linux worked. When I thought she was comfortable with it, I let her have
    >>| the chair.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://wearenixed.blogspot.com/2008/...-seen-bad.html

    > Once again, Roy, you misrepresent an article. The article is *NOT*
    > positive about linux, and in fact contains good examples of bad advocacy.
    >
    > 1) The vendor assured his client that Linux was immune to viruses, but lo
    > and behold the customer got those viruses anyways running under Wine.
    >
    > 2) The vendor sold the system as simple and easy to use, but he got calls
    > within hours because the customer had ****ed up their system, then refused
    > to help them with their problem (basically an RTFM response).
    >
    > 3) The customers only resort was to go out and buy a new computer, and when
    > she ****ed that up (based on the vendors statements to the customer that
    > antivirus software was evil) he wants nothing to do with her.
    >
    > The title of the article might be "Viruses drive customer to Linux, but
    > complexity and vendor arrogance drive them back to windows."

    And what do you expect form Schestowitz?
    Like I said, decent articles like his Datamation one don't generate hits.

    Deceptive ones like this generate hits and thus income for Schestowitz.

    The guy is obviously a liar and it amazes me how the drones in COLA still
    support him, literally.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    Stevie_Ballmer schreef:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 03:24:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> You only know good when you've seen bad...

    >> Exactly what most people say after they have tried Linux and gone back to
    >> Windows.

    Of course they do, most people only have an IQ of 100. Obviously
    GNU/Linux requires some more intelligence.

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  6. Re: [Roy Schestowitz misrepresents another article] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux (was: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux)

    Erik Funkenbusch writes:

    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 03:24:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> You only know good when you've seen bad...
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Paula is not an unintelligent woman. She holds a PhD. in her field and a
    >>| famous publication relevant to her profession recently published a paper of
    >>| hers. No, Paula isn't stupid by any measure. Maybe you can help me with the
    >>| descriptors here.
    >>|
    >>| [...]
    >>|
    >>| Sbe was desperate to have us fix her existing Windows machine. She stated
    >>| that she had so many viruses on it that it would rarely boot but when it did,
    >>| it was almost useless. I explained to her that "We don't do Windows" and gave
    >>| her a brief explanation of what we did and how she could benefit.
    >>|
    >>| No sale...she thanked us and hung up.
    >>|
    >>| Then called back two days later.
    >>|
    >>| She wasn't kidding about the viruses. ClamAV reported 163 viruses active and
    >>| we lost count of spyware applications somewhere around 400. It was truly a
    >>| sight to behold. I have never seen viruses fight each other for dominance. I
    >>| booted the live cd while she sat next to me and for 20 minutes, I showed her
    >>| how Linux worked. When I thought she was comfortable with it, I let her have
    >>| the chair.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://wearenixed.blogspot.com/2008/...-seen-bad.html

    > Once again, Roy, you misrepresent an article. The article is *NOT*
    > positive about linux, and in fact contains good examples of bad advocacy.
    >
    > 1) The vendor assured his client that Linux was immune to viruses, but lo
    > and behold the customer got those viruses anyways running under Wine.
    >
    > 2) The vendor sold the system as simple and easy to use, but he got calls
    > within hours because the customer had ****ed up their system, then refused
    > to help them with their problem (basically an RTFM response).

    Yup. Listen to the arrogant prick:

    ,----
    | she called me a bit after 9 pm. Long story short, she decided to go 733t
    | on me and hack her xorg file. While I was glad she got over her fear of
    | the command line, I wasn't particularly happy with the fact that she
    | hadn't backed up her original xorg.conf.
    `----

    As I pointed out ages ago, the web holds far too many disjoint "how
    tos". And people WILL misuse them. God knows I did when learning the
    Linux ropes.

    Got to love his attitude. On one had "RTFM" on the other its "No! RTFOM"
    wher "O" stands for "Other".

    Typical "advocates".

  7. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    ____/ ml2mst on Thursday 13 March 2008 10:35 : \____

    > Stevie_Ballmer schreef:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Exactly what most people say after they have tried Linux and gone back to
    >>> Windows.
    >>>

    > Of course they do, most people only have an IQ of 100. Obviously
    > GNU/Linux requires some more intelligence.

    Probably less unless you are used to certain workflow, applications, and habits
    in Windows.

    >> Ca...Ching!

    Indeed. All those Microsoft shills are beginning to be exposed. Elsewhere, it
    turns out that Stephen Walli still has Microsoft as its client while he
    infiltrates FOSS companies. Me and another person sort of interrogated him.
    Microsoft uses 'covert ops' tactics on the face of it. It just can't leave its
    #1 rival alone to work without harassment.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "We should dedicate a cross-group team to come up with ways to leverage Windows
    technically more."
    --Jim Allchin, Microsoft
    13:00:01 up 48 days, 22:54, 7 users, load average: 0.45, 0.54, 0.99

  8. Re: [Erik the Weasel Lies Again!]

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > I don't know if you do these because you expect nobody else will read
    > it for themselves. But I've come to expect that we need to parse every
    > word and check every statement you make because they're so often
    > filled with lies and inaccuracy that every syllable is suspect until
    > jibed with facts.

    LMAO! You're owned, Gidget.

    Talk about red-tinged anger. Funkenbusch makes mincemeat of you lying cola
    orangutans every time he posts.

  9. Re: [Erik the Weasel Lies Again!]

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:34:06 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >

    >> I don't know if you do these because you expect nobody else will read
    >> it for themselves. But I've come to expect that we need to parse every
    >> word and check every statement you make because they're so often
    >> filled with lies and inaccuracy that every syllable is suspect until
    >> jibed with facts.

    > LMAO! You're owned, Gidget.
    >
    > Talk about red-tinged anger. Funkenbusch makes mincemeat of you lying cola
    > orangutans every time he posts.

    Yea.
    Erik and Alexander along with Tim Smith as the DH are destroying the COLA
    nuts.

    One nut at a time.

    I can only imagine the IM's going back and forth between Roy, Mark and crew
    attempting to regroup and flood the place with FUD after Mark Kent's
    outing.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:04:15 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Indeed. All those Microsoft shills are beginning to be exposed.

    You can say that again Roy Schestowitz.

    First we have you getting caught trolling on multiple ISP's
    Then we have you Roy Schestowitz admitting you are sponging off Mark Kent's
    ISP connections.

    Then we have Mark Kent, the rabid anti patent, person being exposed for
    doing the exact opposite and in fact a Microsoft partner during his day
    job.

    So yes, you Microsoft shills *ARE* being exposed.

    It's sure starting to look like you guys have been working as reverse
    trolls to make real Linux advocates look like idiots.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    Oh and by the way Roy's web page is to be avoided!
    He has imbedded "HTML/IFRAMEREF GEN" in it.
    An extremely malicious Trojan!

    Geese!

    Chris

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:04:15 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Indeed. All those Microsoft shills are beginning to be exposed.

    > You can say that again Roy Schestowitz.
    >
    > First we have you getting caught trolling on multiple ISP's
    > Then we have you Roy Schestowitz admitting you are sponging off Mark
    > Kent's
    > ISP connections.
    >
    > Then we have Mark Kent, the rabid anti patent, person being exposed for
    > doing the exact opposite and in fact a Microsoft partner during his day
    > job.
    >
    > So yes, you Microsoft shills *ARE* being exposed.
    >
    > It's sure starting to look like you guys have been working as reverse
    > trolls to make real Linux advocates look like idiots.
    >

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: [Sinister Midget can't read and then blames the writer]

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:05:57 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-03-13, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:
    >> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 03:24:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> http://wearenixed.blogspot.com/2008/...-seen-bad.html

    >> Once again, Roy, you misrepresent an article. The article is *NOT*
    >> positive about linux, and in fact contains good examples of bad advocacy.
    >>
    >> 1) The vendor assured his client that Linux was immune to viruses, but lo
    >> and behold the customer got those viruses anyways running under Wine.
    >>
    >> 2) The vendor sold the system as simple and easy to use, but he got calls
    >> within hours because the customer had ****ed up their system, then refused
    >> to help them with their problem (basically an RTFM response).
    >>
    >> 3) The customers only resort was to go out and buy a new computer, and when
    >> she ****ed that up (based on the vendors statements to the customer that
    >> antivirus software was evil) he wants nothing to do with her.
    >>
    >> The title of the article might be "Viruses drive customer to Linux, but
    >> complexity and vendor arrogance drive them back to windows."

    > And /you/ needed to spread FUD, so /you/ mischaracterized what
    > happened.
    >
    > I don't see where he told her linux can't get virusrs. I /did/ see
    > where he didn't believe her at first.

    From the article:

    "I've got another virus. I thought you told me I couldn't get a virus".

    Now, what were you saying?

    > Where did you find that he told her it was "easy to use"? It is for
    > people with more sense than a brick, but I don't see where you found
    > that he told her that.

    I inferred that, given the "can't get viruses" pitch, otherwise she would
    be unlikely to bit if he told her she'd have steep learning curve.

    > /SHE/ farted with her xorg.conf without a backup:

    Perhaps, but this is not something that typically happens with Windows,
    which she was used to. If you changed your resolution, and it didn't work,
    it would default back to the last setting. This is jus one of the many
    ways that Linux fails the end user. Yes, there are dozens of X GUI config
    tools, but none of them are standard, and all of them use different
    interfaces to do (essentially) the same easy 60% of the configuration work
    possible, and in my experience, these apps are usually poorquality,
    crashing when they find anything out of place.

    > How is it complex when you ignore what you're told? I think you should
    > also call Windwoes "complex" because she had all of the viruses and
    > various bits of spyware on her Windoze box after the years and years of
    > being told to be careful about what you click on.

    The point was the he sold her Linux as a solution to her problems.
    Clearly, it wasn't.

    > /SHE/ destroyed her backup:

    Why would she think that copying extra files to a disk would destroy it?
    Unless you know how CD-R and DVD-R's work, that's not logical.

    > To add insult to injury, she's such a dolt that this happened, and she
    > begged to be rescued:

    She's the customer. That's how he makes his living. He sold her the
    solution, he has the obligation to see it through. That's another problem
    that people that push Linux on others often create. Convince them to go
    through the pain and cost of a migration, then fail to support them when
    things go wrong.

    They can't just take it to Best Buy to get it fixed, most techs won't have
    any idea how to fix it. So the person that convinced them holds the
    responsibility of either solving their problems, or finding someone for
    them to do it.

    > Of course, you wanted to blame /that/ on linux, too. Or on the guy
    > installing linux, for rightly telling her Norton is crap. But how did
    > you put it? Oh, like this:
    >
    >> 3) The customers only resort was to go out and buy a new computer, and when
    >> she ****ed that up (based on the vendors statements to the customer that
    >> antivirus software was evil) he wants nothing to do with her.

    > Both wrong information (the computer wasn't replaced because she
    > "****ed that up"

    You still have reading comprehension problems. I said, her only resort was
    to replace the computer, *AND WHEN* she "****ed that up", not because she
    "****ed that up".

    In other words, if you could actually read, you'd realize that I wasn't
    saying it was replaced because she ****ed up the new computer. That makes
    no logical sense.

    > and, he never told her "antivirus was evil", but that
    > Norton was awful) and a mischaracterization of what the article
    > actually says.

    To an end user, they know classes of programs by the names of common ones.
    So, for a typical end users all antivirus is "their norton", all OS's are
    "their microsoft", etc.. So when a tech tells them Norton is evil, he's
    saying to her "antivirus is evil", or rather his exact words where "the
    Antichrist"

    Of course if you had any real experience supporting end users, you'd
    understand this sort of thing.

    > Typical of you. Such rabid, knee-jerk anti-Roysim flows through your
    > veins that you can't even be bothered read through your red-tinged
    > anger and avoid making an ass of yourself every time he posts anything
    > that you/your masters deem threatening. You can't make yourself avoid
    > lying when trying to accuse Roy of lying by a simple reading of what's
    > there.

    Roy *DID* in fact misrepresnt the article as a user switching to Linux, but
    failed to mention that she became frustrated enough with it, and the lack
    of support she recieved that she bought a new computer with Windows.

  13. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:25:21 -0400, Chris S. wrote:
    >
    >> Oh and by the way Roy's web page is to be avoided!
    >> He has imbedded "HTML/IFRAMEREF GEN" in it.
    >> An extremely malicious Trojan!
    >>
    >> Geese!
    >>
    >> Chris

    > You mean this one:
    >
    > www.schestowitz.com ?

    Yep! Yhat one!

    > or
    >
    > www.boycottnovel.com ?
    >
    > This seems to have been reported by others as well:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....057dc9e9db2135
    >
    > This comes as no surprise at all.
    >

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: [Sinister Midget can't read and then blames the writer]

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:41:27 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > Roy *DID* in fact misrepresnt the article as a user switching to Linux, but
    > failed to mention that she became frustrated enough with it, and the lack
    > of support she recieved that she bought a new computer with Windows.

    Notice how the Linux advocates get caught up in dissecting words and
    somehow manage to miss the entire point of the post?

    It's either done out of ignorance or on purpose.
    I suspect the latter.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:07:26 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > The Vista machine did not get viruses in short order, she destroyed it by
    > deleting files required to boot.

    I wonder if she is related to Kelsey?
    Sounds like they might be sisters.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    ____/ Chris S. on Thursday 13 March 2008 21:27 : \____

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>* Chris S. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>> Yep! Yhat one!

    >> Where? I cannot find IFRAMEREF in the main page. What page is it on?
    >>
    >> Did you put something on his pages?

    > It's NOT visable. It's a transparent HTML piece of code. Just opening the
    > main
    > page will invoke it. My OneCare caught it and "cleaned" it. Your Milage may
    > Vary.

    This was found last night. My very out-of-date installation of phpBB got
    exploited (first time any of my software gets exploited in 7 years of running
    sites on BSD and Linux). I've cleaned most stuff up, but I'm styill working
    with the Web host to get rid of what's left. Script kiddies snuck in extra
    markup that points to some other domain (via iframe) -- whatever it actually
    does. This will be resolved by the weekend.

    Thanks for the headsup, Chris.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | How I learned to stop worrying and love GNU/Linux
    22:05:04 up 49 days, 7:59, 7 users, load average: 3.43, 2.08, 1.81

  17. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    * Chris S. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>* Chris S. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>> Yep! Yhat one!

    >> Where? I cannot find IFRAMEREF in the main page. What page is it on?
    >>
    >> Did you put something on his pages?

    > It's NOT visable. It's a transparent HTML piece of code.

    Sure it is, sure it is. Yeah, it is invisible when you "view page
    source", uh huh.

    > Just opening the main page will invoke it. My OneCare caught it and
    > "cleaned" it. Your Milage may Vary.

    --
    Unfortunately, many programs are so big that there is no one individual who
    really knows all the pieces, and so the amount of code sharing you get isn't

  18. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    > ____/ Chris S. on Thursday 13 March 2008 21:27 : \____
    >
    >>> Did you put something on his pages?

    >> It's NOT visable. It's a transparent HTML piece of code. Just opening the
    >> main page will invoke it. My OneCare caught it and "cleaned" it. Your
    >> Milage may Vary.

    > This was found last night. My very out-of-date installation of phpBB got
    > exploited (first time any of my software gets exploited in 7 years of running
    > sites on BSD and Linux). I've cleaned most stuff up, but I'm styill working
    > with the Web host to get rid of what's left. Script kiddies snuck in extra
    > markup that points to some other domain (via iframe) -- whatever it actually
    > does. This will be resolved by the weekend.
    >
    > Thanks for the headsup, Chris.

    Well, good, at least /he/ wasn't the one doing the damage.

    I think.

    --
    Well, it seems to me that he did have an education to get there. It happened to
    be mine, not his. -- Gary Kildall on the selection of Gates to give the

  19. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    ____/ Linonut on Thursday 13 March 2008 22:54 : \____

    >> ____/ Chris S. on Thursday 13 March 2008 21:27 : \____

    >>> It's NOT visable. It's a transparent HTML piece of code. Just opening the
    >>> main page will invoke it. My OneCare caught it and "cleaned" it. Your
    >>> Milage may Vary.

    >> This was found last night. My very out-of-date installation of phpBB got
    >> exploited (first time any of my software gets exploited in 7 years of
    >> running
    >> sites on BSD and Linux). I've cleaned most stuff up, but I'm styill working
    >> with the Web host to get rid of what's left. Script kiddies snuck in extra
    >> markup that points to some other domain (via iframe) -- whatever it actually
    >> does. This will be resolved by the weekend.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the headsup, Chris.

    > Well, good, at least /he/ wasn't the one doing the damage.
    >
    > I think.

    The main page is not affected, but some others still have the