[News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux - Linux ; ____/ Linonut on Friday 14 March 2008 17:05 : \____ > * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo: > >> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:12:53 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote: >> >>> This was found last night. My very ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 47 of 47

  1. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    ____/ Linonut on Friday 14 March 2008 17:05 : \____

    > * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:12:53 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> This was found last night. My very out-of-date installation of phpBB got
    >>> exploited (first time any of my software gets exploited in 7 years of
    >>> running
    >>> sites on BSD and Linux). I've cleaned most stuff up, but I'm styill
    >>> working with the Web host to get rid of what's left. Script kiddies snuck
    >>> in extra markup that points to some other domain (via iframe) -- whatever
    >>> it actually does. This will be resolved by the weekend.

    >> So, in other words, Roy's own web site became one of those "zombies" he
    >> always accuses Microsoft software of being.
    >>
    >> That's priceless.

    > Only if you don't like Roy.

    It's not a zombie. An iframe was injected which made contact with another site.
    The issue is now resolved. It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that tens
    of hundreds of thousands of sites are affected, including Windows ones. I know
    this from my Web host. It's chaos and the press publishes a lot of articles
    about it at the moment.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Disk quota exceeded; sig discontinued"

  2. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:56:34 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Linonut on Friday 14 March 2008 17:05 : \____
    >
    >> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> So, in other words, Roy's own web site became one of those "zombies" he
    >>> always accuses Microsoft software of being.
    >>>
    >>> That's priceless.

    >> Only if you don't like Roy.

    > It's not a zombie. An iframe was injected which made contact with another site.
    > The issue is now resolved. It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that tens
    > of hundreds of thousands of sites are affected, including Windows ones. I know
    > this from my Web host. It's chaos and the press publishes a lot of articles
    > about it at the moment.

    You have been reported as a trojan site.
    Good luck.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:56:34 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Linonut on Friday 14 March 2008 17:05 : \____
    >
    >> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> So, in other words, Roy's own web site became one of those "zombies" he
    >>> always accuses Microsoft software of being.
    >>>
    >>> That's priceless.

    >> Only if you don't like Roy.

    > It's not a zombie. An iframe was injected which made contact with another site.
    > The issue is now resolved. It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that tens
    > of hundreds of thousands of sites are affected, including Windows ones. I know
    > this from my Web host. It's chaos and the press publishes a lot of articles
    > about it at the moment.

    No, of course it's not a Zombie, because that would make you a hypocrite.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_computer

    "A zombie computer (often shortened as zombie) is a computer attached to
    the Internet that has been compromised by a hacker, a computer virus, or a
    trojan horse."

    Gee, that sounds like what you described that happened.

    "Generally, a compromised machine is only one of many in a "botnet""

    Wow, didn't you just say there "It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out
    that tens of hundreds of thousands of sites are affected"? That seems to
    apply too.

    "and will be used to perform malicious tasks of one sort or another under
    remote direction"

    And what was your site doing? Infecting other computers? Boy, I'm
    struggling here to understand how your server was not a zombie.

    Oh yeah, if it was, it would make you a hyporcite, therefore it can't be.
    Right?

  4. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    On 2008-03-14, chrisv claimed:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >>* Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>>
    >>> That's priceless.

    >>Only if you don't like Roy.

    > Well, when you get your ass handed to you as often as Fuddie does, any
    > little "victory" is something to be savored.

    Even if it /is/ an empty one. Roy admitted he knew he had a problem. He
    took responsibility, so no points for Der FUDmeister.

    If it had been a WinDOS box he could have shifted the blame somewhere
    else and the Windummies would have lined up nodding their heads like
    bobble dolls.

    --
    Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funeral.

  5. Re: [News] Windows Viruses Drive People to GNU/Linux

    ____/ Sinister Midget on Saturday 15 March 2008 01:08 : \____

    > On 2008-03-14, chrisv claimed:
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>>* Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>>Only if you don't like Roy.

    >> Well, when you get your ass handed to you as often as Fuddie does, any
    >> little "victory" is something to be savored.

    > Even if it /is/ an empty one. Roy admitted he knew he had a problem. He
    > took responsibility, so no points for Der FUDmeister.
    >
    > If it had been a WinDOS box he could have shifted the blame somewhere
    > else and the Windummies would have lined up nodding their heads like
    > bobble dolls.

    The problem is with other sites. My domain had nothing malicious other than a
    link that got injected by a hack (already resolved by the way). If there is a
    link to report here, it's the 'pinoc' thing, which need to be blocked (already
    done, at DNS level).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Programmer: a device to convert coffee beans into code (Paul Erdos slant)
    Cpu(s): 25.6%us, 4.0%sy, 1.0%ni, 64.7%id, 4.3%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  6. Re: [Erik the Weasel Lies Again!]

    [H]omer espoused:
    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> I don't understand how you can be so willing to make yourself such a
    >> reviled fool. Unless you're paid by quantity rather than quality.

    > Fuddie is definitely getting worse, by quite a margin. Indeed, AFAICS
    > /all/ the Trolls seem to be bitching like schoolgirls ATM. The Vole must
    > be in deep pain for its minions to be acting with such desperation.

    Things do seem to be getting very nasty at the moment.

  7. Re: [Erik beat some "advocates" about the head again]

    [H]omer wrote:

    > Fuddie is definitely getting worse, by quite a margin. Indeed, AFAICS
    > /all/ the Trolls seem to be bitching like schoolgirls ATM. The Vole
    > must be in deep pain for its minions to be acting with such
    > desperation.

    *Evil* minions. Don't forget the 'evil' part.

    You must have been distracted by the great Windows games and software you're
    using, you "free software advocate" you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3