[News] Hundreds of Linux Distributions Are Not So Different After All - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Hundreds of Linux Distributions Are Not So Different After All - Linux ; Schism ,----[ Quote ] | When someone says a recent Linux Distro is 100 times better than another | recent Linux distro, I worry a little that schism has lead to computer | religion. Taken on its face, examined rationally, ...

  1. [News] Hundreds of Linux Distributions Are Not So Different After All

    Schism

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When someone says a recent Linux Distro is 100 times better than another
    | recent Linux distro, I worry a little that schism has lead to computer
    | religion. Taken on its face, examined rationally, you have to ask "how can
    | that be?". They all feed off the same kernel stock, and pull in the same sets
    | of office projects and same GUI projects and so forth.
    `----

    http://on-being-open.blogspot.com/2007/09/schism.html

    Related:

    Why Having 500+ Distros is a Good Thing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Perhaps next time the author might think about what they're
    | saying...because limiting the number of distros out there is
    | absolutely NOT the way to go to accomplish anything other
    | than limiting innovation.
    `----

    http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/arc...ood-Thing.html

  2. Re: [News] Hundreds of Linux Distributions Are Not So Different AfterAll

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | When someone says a recent Linux Distro is 100 times better than another
    > | recent Linux distro, I worry a little that schism has lead to computer
    > | religion. Taken on its face, examined rationally, you have to ask "how can
    > | that be?". They all feed off the same kernel stock, and pull in the same sets
    > | of office projects and same GUI projects and so forth.
    > `----

    The final packages differ though, since the distro maintainers make
    choices about dependencies and build flags, that can make a radical
    difference between the same packages in different distros.

    Many also provide their own patch sets, which may or may not work their
    way back upstream in the short term. Red Hat in particular are quite
    prolific in that area, as are others (I assume).

    /Creating/ software is only one half of the story; /building/,
    integrating and testing it, is the other.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    00:49:29 up 40 days, 23:44, 2 users, load average: 0.22, 0.27, 0.22

+ Reply to Thread