$80 Tiny Computer Runs Linux, Development Tools, Controls, and Servers

,----[ Quote ]
| US embedded hardware OEM KwikByte is shipping a low-cost, tiny embedded
| system designed for general purpose computing, embedded controls, and
| database/web servers. KwikByte demonstrated the system running open-source
| packages such as Apache, MySQL, and PostgreSQL within a Debian environment.

Basic and Cheap PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Several new computers unveiled in recent months have something in common
| besides their budget-minded price tag: All come preloaded with the Linux
| operating system instead of Microsoft's Windows. *

Norhtec to Release Yet Another Sub-$300 Linux UMPC

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Barnes, the Gecko laptop will be announced soon, and will hit
| the market at a sub-$300 price tag, in order to compete with the other
| 7-inchers of its kin. *

The £99 laptop: how can it be so cheap?

,----[ Quote ]
| A new laptop computer for just £99 sounds like the kind of offer found in a
| spam e-mail or on a dodgy auction website. But the British company Elonex is
| launching the country’s first sub £100 computer later this month and hopes to
| be making 200,000 of them by the summer. It will be aimed at schoolchildren
| and teenagers, and looks set to throw the market for budget laptops wide
| open. * *
| Called the One, it can be used as a traditional notebook computer or, with
| the screen detached from the keyboard, as a portable “tablet” – albeit
| without the planned touchscreen that Elonex had to abandon to hit its £99
| price tag. Wi-fi technology lets users access the internet or swap music (and
| homework) files between computers wirelessly. * *
| [...]
| The secret is simple: open-source software. The One runs on Linux, which is a
| rival to Windows but completely free to use. Open-source software can be
| freely swapped or modified by anyone who wants it. In the past such operating
| systems (there are several of them) have been outgunned by the more
| sophisticated Windows programs. However, an open-source operating system is
| ideal for low-cost devices as it performs well on less powerful, cheaper
| hardware. * * *

Low-cost laptops make PC makers mull margins

,----[ Quote ]
| “Computers have been an exception. If you look at consumer electronics, a DVD
| player was about $800 10 years ago – now they sell for $20,” she says. “The
| [computer] industry has been able to keep the price flat by focusing on
| gazillion-gigahertz machines running really bloated software and that’s
| worked for years since the IBM PC revolution.” * *
| [...]
| OLPC found a strong uptake for a “give one, get one” campaign it launched in
| North America in November. It discovered consumers were willing to pay $400
| for an XO – the price meant another XO would be given free to a
| developing-world child. It is now launching OLPC America to extend the cheap
| laptop concept for children in the US. * *

How will Linux win the OS wars? From the bottom up!

,----[ Quote ]
| So therefore, best way to win the war of the operating systems is not to go
| after the high end market. *

Linux Has Won, Windows is Gone

,----[ Quote ]