BENEFITS: Open-source software worth considering

,----[ Quote ]
| Simplicity and features matter, but it’s also worth looking to see which
| programs are “open source” - that is, anybody can download, read and rewrite
| the source code that makes them tick.
|
| You don’t have to be a programmer to benefit from that freedom: Open-source
| programs often get security fixes and other improvements faster than their
| commercial counterparts. Compare, for instance, the progress of Mozilla
| Firefox versus Microsoft’s Internet Explorer.
`----

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Sa...=1037645509005

Open Source GridGain 2.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| GridGain 2.0 is open source software licensed under LGPL and Apache 2.0
| licenses.
`----

http://www.gridtoday.com/grid/2208433.html

BPM + ECM = BPP

,----[ Quote ]
| Which all sounds eminently sensible. It also shows how rich open source
| enterprise solutions are becoming, with the prospect of ever-richer ones in
| the future, as more of these cross-company hookups are put in place to solve
| business problems.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...14&entryid=586

Related:

Open source to hit $22 billion by 2010. What this means for Red Hat and Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| Interestingly, this number jumps to $41 billion if you add in the $19 billion
| that enterprises will invest in internal open-source development instead of
| wasting it on proprietary software licenses, according to Morgan Stanley... *
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...tfd.blogs.item

European spend on open source software hits 22bn Euros

,----[ Quote ]
| Rishab Ghosh, a senior researcher at the UN University in Maastricht,
| will tell the Open Ireland conference in Dublin that the spend in the
| US on free/libre or open source software (FLOSS) stands at 36bn
| Euros and accounts for 20pc of software spend in the US.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/...yid=single7850

Open source funding: the complete picture

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to VC funding, we also took a look at the amounts raised
| by open source vendors via initial public offerings. These figures
| are not included in the totals of $1.89bn or $2.02bn, but for those
| that are interested, between them Red Hat, VA, Caldera, Mandriva,
| Turbolinux and Trolltech raised $319.9m via their IPOs.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/...rce_fun_2.html

Why do vendors invest in open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Harvard Business School has published the preliminary draft
| an interesting report that confirms one thing we probably could
| have guessed - that vendors invest in open source for economic,
| rather than altruistic, reasons - and calculates a number of
| things we probably couldn't - such as the fact that vendors
| invested $2bn in open source software between 1995 and 2005.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/...o_vendors.html

Source of the revolution

,----[ Quote ]