Portable Eec PC is easy on wallet

,----[ Quote ]
| In the world of mobile computing, industry giants such as Sony, Toshiba, HP,
| and Dell, put out powerful notebooks on the market that are equal to the
| performance of a desktop PC.
`----

http://www.guampdn.com/apps/pbcs.dll...1024/LIFESTYLE

Linux Thin Client: Considering the Network

,----[ Quote ]
| Much information already exists concerning methods for deploying networks and
| hardware using thinclients. However, in this excerpt from David Richard's
| book, we shall try to clarify those essential differences between using a
| network with personal computers and thin clients. Certain network designs
| prove to be very stable and provide the best possible solution.
`----

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/thinclientnetwork.shtml

Yesterday:

Power-sipping thin client runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| VXL Instruments has introduced an "entry-level" thin client device that runs
| Linux. The Itona TC 2331-LI operates fanlessly, uses a 1GHz Via C7 processor,
| supports touchscreen monitors with up to 1680 x 1050 resolution, and uses
| only 11 watts of power, says VXL. *
`----

Related:

GNU/Linux thin-clients

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been looking for a good GNU/Linux thin-client for my employer,
| a school district in the US. We have scores of aging desktops
| (primarily Intel PII 350 MHz and PIII 800 MHz systems) and looking
| more into the mobile arena for most computing needs.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...x_thin-clients

HP unveils thin clients fat enough to run native apps

,----[ Quote ]
| The only difference is in the operating system and the price: the HP Compaq
| t5375 with Debian Linux 4.0 costs £302, excluding VAT, while the Windows XP
| Embedded-based t5370 costs £432, excluding VAT. *
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1...9292381,00.htm

Is Linux Worth the Effort?

,----[ Quote ]
| I've spent the better part of the past 2 weeks banging away on 2 LTSP servers
| for our school district. I find myself lamenting to those around me, and
| being an otherwise cranky guy as well. This morning it dawned on me that
| people probably think I'm having such a hard time because I'm using Linux
| instead of the "norm" -- but that's just not the case. * *
|
| Tomorrow morning, about 1200 people are going to log into thin clients strewn
| around the school district here in northern Michigan. I am using K12LTSP as
| my distribution, because the support is incredible, and it's designed for
| schools. The problem for me, however, is that Linux is so darn powerful, my
| users are overwhelmed by it. * *
|
| [...]
|
| Is it all worth it? Oh, heck yeah. Instead of managing 250 workstations, I'll
| be managing 2. I like that kind of math. There are still a couple hundred
| Macintosh computers, and handfuls of Windows PCs -- but I'd like not to think
| about those for a bit, and bask in my thin client glory. *
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005992

New thin client series runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Acropolis updated its Linux-based thin-client OS earlier this month.
| Its NLX (New LinuX) 5 OS is based on Debian, and is available on an
| IDE flash plug-in module suitable for turning old PCs into modern
| thin clients.
`----

World's lowest cost Linux thin client?

,----[ Quote ]
| Bangkok-based Norhtec has unveiled a sub-$85 mini-PC claimed to be the most
| affordable Linux thin client system to date. The "ultra-low-power"
| MicroClient JrSX is based on a 300MHz x86-compatible SoC (system-on-chip) and
| includes both CompactFlash and 2.5-inch hard drive storage options, along
| with 10/100Mbps Ethernet networking. * *
`----

CLI Announces a $199 Thin Client

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, Computer Lab International (CLI), a leading provider of
| thin client and text terminal products, announced a promotional
| offer that lowers the pricing barrier to entry on CLI thin clients.
|
| [...]
|
| Product features include:
| - Cost-effective, easy-to-use, and highly reliable, stable,
| and secure Mandrake Linux operating system
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=245

Athena Thin Clients Introduces New Open Source Embedded Linux Using Debian
2.6

,----[ Quote ]
| Athena development engineers are the first to build a Linux Thin
| Client based on Debian kernel 2.6. This new Linux version carries
| the name NLX 5 where NLX stands for New LinuX.
`----

http://www.cgidir.com/news/press/070...inClients.html

Low-cost thin client runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The fanless DIT6040A runs Devon's Linux-based "Devon Terminal
| Operatiing System" (DeTOS) on a 400MHz Via Eden processor.
`----

Wyse strips down thin client computers

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers can choose a zero client configuration for use with Wyse
| provisioning software, or with a minimum of 128MB Flash or DDR2 RAM to
| support Windows CE, Windows XP embedded or Linux. *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...d_2007_lineup/

Vista Aiding Linux Desktop, Strategist Says *

,----[ Quote ]
| For example, a number of companies have moved back to Windows XP after
| deploying Vista, Crawford said, before quoting Scott Granneman, an author, *
| entrepreneur and adjunct professor at Washington University in St. Louis, as
| saying, "To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your
| Windows box, you just have to work on it." *
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000616

HP launches Linux desktop in Australia

,----[ Quote ]