[News] [Rival] OOXML a Desparate "Embrace, Extend and Extinguish" Tool - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] OOXML a Desparate "Embrace, Extend and Extinguish" Tool - Linux ; Implementation-defined (Not really) ,----[ Quote ] | Here begins the lesson on Embrace, Extend and Extinguish (EEE). Classically, | this technique is used to perpetuate vendor lock-in by introducing small | incompatibilities into a standard interface, in order to prevent ...

  1. [News] [Rival] OOXML a Desparate "Embrace, Extend and Extinguish" Tool

    Implementation-defined (Not really)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here begins the lesson on Embrace, Extend and Extinguish (EEE). Classically,
    | this technique is used to perpetuate vendor lock-in by introducing small
    | incompatibilities into a standard interface, in order to prevent effective
    | interoperability, or (shudder) even substitutability of competing products
    | based on that interface. This EEE strategy has worked well so far for
    | Microsoft, with the web browser, with Java, with Kerberos, etc. It is
    | interesting to note that this technique can work equally well with
    | Microsoft's own standards, like OOXML.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | So, by failing to include this in their conformance clause, OOXML's use of
    | the term "implementation-defined" is toothless. It just means "We don't want
    | to tell you this information" or "We don't want to interoperate". Conformant
    | applications are not required to actually document how they extend the
    | standard. You can look at Microsoft Office 2007 as a prime example. Where is
    | this documentation that explains how Office 2007 implements
    | these "implementation-defined" features? How is interoperability promoted
    | without this?
    `----

    http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/03/...ot-really.html

    Related:

    Expert Testimony of Ronald Alepin in Comes v. Microsoft - Embrace, Extend,
    Extinguish

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | You'll hear some emails read aloud, one of Bill Gates's, an email from
    | 1996 about Java, where he says he was losing sleep over how great
    | Java was, and you'll see a strategy he suggested -- "fully
    | supporting Java and extending it in a Windows/Microsoft way".
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Well, when applets are cross-platform, it expands the number of
    | applications that are available to you so you can go to a website.
    | And if you have a Linux computer or a Macintosh computer or a Windows 3.1
    | computer, you can get an application and it will run.
    |
    | You don't have to either select a specific application or hope that the
    | independent software vendor or the website created the application for your
    | platform. So it would increase the number of applications available to you.
    `----

    Comes v. Microsoft Resumes Today

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Ronald Alepin, an independent consultant and former CTO for Fujitsu,
    | disputed the idea that Microsoft had been an innovator in the field.
    | He said that interoperability protocols were developed by companies
    | other than Microsoft, and that Microsoft has simply extended the
    | protocols and then refused to disclose the extensions. In so doing,
    | he told the court, Microsoft "has hijacked standard
    | interoperability protocols agreed by the entire industry."
    `----

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] OOXML a Desparate "Embrace, Extend and Extinguish" Tool

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 03:47:59 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/03/...ot-really.html

    From that article:

    "However, ISO standards like ISO/IEC 9899:1999 go one step further and make
    an additional statement in their conformance clause, something that is
    distinctly missing from OOXML:

    An implementation shall be accompanied by a document that defines all
    implementation-defined and locale-specific characteristics and all
    extensions."

    Ok, so where's the document that accompanies OpenOffice that defines all
    their extensions to the ISO ODF? I searched their web site, and downloaded
    the application. Doesn't seem to be there.

    Rob likes to use the old process "Do as I say, not as I do".

+ Reply to Thread