[News] IBM and IBM VP Moves Beyond Windows and to GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] IBM and IBM VP Moves Beyond Windows and to GNU/Linux - Linux ; Life after Windows, Day 1 ,----[ Quote ] | This last weekend I wiped the second half of the laptop hard drive and | installed the IBM internal Open Client for Linux. It has everything I need | for work: ...

  1. [News] IBM and IBM VP Moves Beyond Windows and to GNU/Linux

    Life after Windows, Day 1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This last weekend I wiped the second half of the laptop hard drive and
    | installed the IBM internal Open Client for Linux. It has everything I need
    | for work: Lotus Notes, Lotus Symphony, Lotus SameTime, and a couple of ways
    | to get through the firewall. The Windows partition remains on the machine,
    | for now, but I plan to live on the Red Hat Linux client as best I can (see
    | below).
    `----

    http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=2105

    IBM fills PCs with eastern promise

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has long been striving for some love from Russia, by vying for
    | contracts with established institutions and teaching IT in schools. But IBM’s
    | move, which cheaply outsources manufacturing, is now offering the massive and
    | developing Eastern market, an open source alternative.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...liminates-vole

    Recent:

    Notebook: IBM’s Linux desktop installs; Notes evolution; Data center stats

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Just for context IBM doesn’t have any specific policy on Linux desktop
    | adoption and no quota or deadline to migrate more users. Walicki noted that
    | IBM has a role-based PC policy. The data center folks and firmware people
    | will use Linux. Your average cubicle dweller has a choice of Windows or
    | Linux. * *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=7386

    IBM to offer Linux machines

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The machines, it was announced, will come with Red Hat's Linux distro, and
    | will come pre-loaded with software from IBM, including its Lotus Symphony *
    | suite.
    `----

    http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/2950...Linux-machines

    Lotus Notes 8.5 to fully support Ubuntu Linux 7.0 in mid-2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We're doing pilots with customers now," Satyadas said. "Some of the requests
    | came from big companies" with as many as 100,000 users that are interested in
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | moving to Ubuntu Linux on the desktop.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "Linux is cool now," he said. "We use it ourselves. We are able to offer a
    | secure, rich and cost-effective Microsoft alternative."
    `----

    http://computerworld.com/action/arti...&intsrc=kc_top

    Related:

    Survey Says … Linux Desktop Is Ever More Popular

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Okay, now lets tie this all back in together. Novell claimed several months
    | back in a video ad that Desktop Linux users accounted for upwards of
    | 30,000,000 different people. That's 30 million. Recent statements made by
    | some Novell representatives indicate that they expect there are upwards of
    | 50,000,000 Desktop Linux users. Microsoft has never contested the number of
    | Desktop Linux users, and if anything the deal Microsoft signed with Novell
    | was tacit agreement that Microsoft believed those numbers to be accurate.
    `----

    http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/11/d...-vs-linux.html

    Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
    | a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
    | Linux distribution of choice. *
    `----

    http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/p...19940,p,0.html

    Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DesktopLinux.com, which is a Web site devoted to, obviously, desktop Linux,
    | has finished a survey that found more than a doubling of Linux desktop users
    | in the past year. *
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatc...es/013576.html

    Desktop Linux on the Rise, Linux Foundation Reports

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For starters, almost 20,000 self-selected users filled out this year's survey
    | compared with fewer than 10,000 in 2006's survey.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In those businesses and organizations that have deployed Linux desktops, 39.5
    | percent are running Linux on more than half of their machines.
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594

  2. Re: [News] IBM and IBM VP Moves Beyond Windows and to GNU/Linux

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 03:17:46 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Life after Windows, Day 1
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| This last weekend I wiped the second half of the laptop hard drive and
    >| installed the IBM internal Open Client for Linux. It has everything I need
    >| for work: Lotus Notes, Lotus Symphony, Lotus SameTime, and a couple of ways
    >| to get through the firewall. The Windows partition remains on the machine,
    >| for now, but I plan to live on the Red Hat Linux client as best I can (see
    >| below).

    What he neglects to tell you is that the current officially supported
    platform for IBM'ers is Windows XP and that the Linux platform is "as is".

    He's also not telling you how much software does NOT work with the Linux
    load.
    Actually he does, see the part about the Windows partition remaining?
    That's so he can use all the *other stuff* that the Linux version doesn't
    support.

    IOW more half truths from the Linux camp.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (in real life Gary Stewart)

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:16:05 +0100, Ana Thema wrote:

    You ****ing hypocrite. How about not nymshifting yourself, so I can keep
    your repetitive contentless dimwitted bitching filtered out?

    In the meantime, I'm going to have to filter out your whole ISP. I've only
    had to that with extreme assholes. Nice going.

+ Reply to Thread