Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores - Linux

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores - Linux ; "Andy" stated in post fr643f$20j$1@news.albasani.net on 3/11/08 8:13 AM: > http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0 > > > > NEW YORK (AP) ‹ Computers that run the Linux operating system instead of > Microsoft Corp.'s Windows didn't attract enough attention from Wal-Mart > customers, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 107

  1. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    "Andy" stated in post fr643f$20j$1@news.albasani.net
    on 3/11/08 8:13 AM:

    > http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >

    > NEW YORK (AP) ‹ Computers that run the Linux operating system instead of
    > Microsoft Corp.'s Windows didn't attract enough attention from Wal-Mart
    > customers, and the chain has stopped selling them in stores, a
    > spokeswoman said Monday.
    >
    > "This really wasn't what our customers were looking for," said Wal-Mart
    > Stores Inc. spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien.
    >
    > To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    > Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    > about 600 stores starting late in October.

    Very, very few people are looking for a fractured user experience... why
    would they?

    --
    Is Swiss cheese made out of hole milk?

  2. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    Andy wrote:
    > http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >

    > To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    > Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    > about 600 stores starting late in October.

    If Wal-Mart is still selling any machines in that price range, they
    aren't running Vista, which means that Linux will get another crack at
    those machines when XP support ends.

  3. Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0

    NEW YORK (AP) — Computers that run the Linux operating system instead of
    Microsoft Corp.'s Windows didn't attract enough attention from Wal-Mart
    customers, and the chain has stopped selling them in stores, a
    spokeswoman said Monday.

    "This really wasn't what our customers were looking for," said Wal-Mart
    Stores Inc. spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien.

    To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    about 600 stores starting late in October.

  4. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    Matt writes:

    > Andy wrote:
    >> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >>

    >> To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    >> Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    >> about 600 stores starting late in October.
    >>

    > If Wal-Mart is still selling any machines in that price range, they
    > aren't running Vista, which means that Linux will get another crack at
    > those machines when XP support ends.

    Do read the article and come back with something that make some sense
    and is relevant. You sound almost like Liarnut with that reply.

  5. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:32:58 -0500
    :
    > Andy wrote:
    >> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >>

    >> NEW YORK (AP) — Computers that run the Linux operating system instead
    >> of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows didn't attract enough attention from
    >> Wal-Mart customers, and the chain has stopped selling them in stores,
    >> a spokeswoman said Monday.
    >>
    >> "This really wasn't what our customers were looking for," said
    >> Wal-Mart Stores Inc. spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien.
    >>
    >> To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    >> Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    >> about 600 stores starting late in October.
    >>

    > I smell MS bribery at work here, 'cause everyone really wants Linux (700
    > cola "advocates" told me so).

    No bribery. People want an easy-to-use machine, and
    Microsoft Windows is easy to use. Why? Because we've
    all been brainwashed in such details as Ctrl-Alt-Del,
    don't read strange messages, and firewalls (all good
    practices, BTW, regardless of OS; it's just that Windows
    is more stringent about us using them). However, a
    squeaky-clean brain does allow for filling it with the
    most unsubstantiated drivel, to the point where we all
    love Big Brother. Also, Microsoft does try; an old ad for
    one of its more, erm, interesting products, is partially
    reproduced here:

    http://www.guidebookgallery.org/ads/...es/bob/helpful

    (No doubt *someone* thought this sort of thing was a good idea.)

    Besides, an entire ecology is now winding around Microsoft
    (and has been for over a decade), in a manner similar
    to vines being supported by a large bole -- which sounds
    suspiciously like The Vole, but which is actually the trunk
    of a tree. Uproot Microsoft, and one damages this ecology,
    to the tune of billions of dollars per year, just to work
    around Windows' shortcomings.

    Might as well legislate Microsoft a la "Ma Bell" and have
    done with it, with the proviso of course that we document,
    open up, and standardize large chunks of Windows in the
    process.

    We can always break Microsoft up later.

    :-)

    [rest snipped]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.

  6. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:32:58 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Andy wrote:
    >> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >>

    >> NEW YORK (AP) — Computers that run the Linux operating system instead
    >> of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows didn't attract enough attention from
    >> Wal-Mart customers, and the chain has stopped selling them in stores,
    >> a spokeswoman said Monday.
    >>
    >> "This really wasn't what our customers were looking for," said
    >> Wal-Mart Stores Inc. spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien.
    >>
    >> To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    >> Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    >> about 600 stores starting late in October.
    >>

    > I smell MS bribery at work here, 'cause everyone really wants Linux (700
    > cola "advocates" told me so).
    >
    > Wal-Mart should have displayed those bad-boy Linux machines running X-Moto
    > on a 30" LCD.
    > http://linux.softpedia.com/screenshots/X-Moto_2.jpg LMAO!!! Linux Format
    > magazine Hot Pick!
    >
    > Then they could put a Vista machine next to it running BioShock on a measly
    > 22" LCD.
    > http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/bioshock/images.html
    >
    > Who could resist Linux then?

    You sure know how to wound a Linux advocate when he is down DFS

    They should have had 6 kernel compiles each in it's own CLI going
    simultaneously on all sides of a rotating cube.

    Now *THAT* is something average people might be interested in.

    BTW Walmart dumping Linux was predicted by the Windows supporters from the
    very first day Walmart announced it.

    Kudos to Walmart though for trying the concept and being on the cutting
    edge.

    The truth is, average people are just not interested in Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    Andy wrote:
    > http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >

    > NEW YORK (AP) — Computers that run the Linux operating system instead
    > of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows didn't attract enough attention from
    > Wal-Mart customers, and the chain has stopped selling them in stores,
    > a spokeswoman said Monday.
    >
    > "This really wasn't what our customers were looking for," said
    > Wal-Mart Stores Inc. spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien.
    >
    > To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    > Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    > about 600 stores starting late in October.

    I smell MS bribery at work here, 'cause everyone really wants Linux (700
    cola "advocates" told me so).

    Wal-Mart should have displayed those bad-boy Linux machines running X-Moto
    on a 30" LCD.
    http://linux.softpedia.com/screenshots/X-Moto_2.jpg LMAO!!! Linux Format
    magazine Hot Pick!

    Then they could put a Vista machine next to it running BioShock on a measly
    22" LCD.
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/bioshock/images.html

    Who could resist Linux then?

  8. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:18:26 -0500
    <3pxBj.2293$9O.1348@bignews3.bellsouth.net>:
    > Matt wrote:
    >> Andy wrote:
    >>> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >>>

    >>> To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    >>> Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    >>> about 600 stores starting late in October.
    >>>

    >> If Wal-Mart is still selling any machines in that price range, they
    >> aren't running Vista, which means that Linux will get another crack at
    >> those machines when XP support ends.

    > In 2014.

    2038, you mean. Microsoft Windows Vista will last at least
    that long, and Linux will have to work through (time_t)
    0x7fffffff on 32-bit hardware. We'll see come late
    Monday, January 18th, 2038; the actual time is 3:14:08 UTC
    2038-01-19; this translates into 22:14:08 or 10PM on the
    East Coast and 7PM on the West, here in the US. (There's
    10904 or so days left, so no need to hurry unnecessarily.
    But don't say I for one didn't warn you.)

    One hopes 64-bit is the norm by then; certainly it's
    out now, and will probably be the norm in 3 years time,
    as Vista replaces XP as the dominant desktop platform.
    Presumably, Windows does not have the 32-bit time
    switchover problem, as SYSTEMTIME is roughly analogous to
    struct tm and breaks up the time into manageable chunks
    (year, month, day of week, day, hour, minute, second,
    milli), and FILETIME uses a pair of DWORDs, giving it
    64 bits to play with.

    Switch over to Windows now, avoid the rush. ;-) That way,
    you'll only have to worry about script kiddies making your
    machine a zombie...

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Insert random misquote here.

  9. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:32:58 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Andy wrote:
    >>> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >>>

    >>> NEW YORK (AP) - Computers that run the Linux operating system instead
    >>> of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows didn't attract enough attention from
    >>> Wal-Mart customers, and the chain has stopped selling them in stores,
    >>> a spokeswoman said Monday.
    >>>
    >>> "This really wasn't what our customers were looking for," said
    >>> Wal-Mart Stores Inc. spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien.
    >>>
    >>> To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    >>> Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    >>> about 600 stores starting late in October.
    >>>

    >> I smell MS bribery at work here, 'cause everyone really wants Linux (700
    >> cola "advocates" told me so).
    >>
    >> Wal-Mart should have displayed those bad-boy Linux machines running
    >> X-Moto
    >> on a 30" LCD.
    >> http://linux.softpedia.com/screenshots/X-Moto_2.jpg LMAO!!! Linux
    >> Format
    >> magazine Hot Pick!
    >>
    >> Then they could put a Vista machine next to it running BioShock on a
    >> measly
    >> 22" LCD.
    >> http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/bioshock/images.html
    >>
    >> Who could resist Linux then?

    > You sure know how to wound a Linux advocate when he is down DFS
    >
    > They should have had 6 kernel compiles each in it's own CLI going
    > simultaneously on all sides of a rotating cube.
    >
    > Now *THAT* is something average people might be interested in.
    >
    > BTW Walmart dumping Linux was predicted by the Windows supporters from the
    > very first day Walmart announced it.
    >
    > Kudos to Walmart though for trying the concept and being on the cutting
    > edge.
    >
    > The truth is, average people are just not interested in Linux.

    Were interested but not in going back 15 years to the command prompt to type
    in arcane lines of code! I tried Umbutu and after 3 evenings of cutting and
    pasting from the forums I got wireless networking going. Then I discovered
    that I couldn't play an MP3 but could play a DVD. Had to install a few
    players to get a simple MP3 to play and have control of FF and the things
    that Winamp does with ease. I couldn't set a play list or shuffle. Then I
    tried to look at my other window machines to share files etc. WOW was that
    fun mounting and un-mounting drives etc....enough back to windows and
    clicking to get most things done!

    My two cents, Rich

  10. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    Matt wrote:
    > Andy wrote:
    >> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >>

    >> To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    >> Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    >> about 600 stores starting late in October.
    >>

    > If Wal-Mart is still selling any machines in that price range, they
    > aren't running Vista, which means that Linux will get another crack at
    > those machines when XP support ends.

    In 2014.

  11. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    * Andy peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >

    > NEW YORK (AP) — Computers that run the Linux operating system instead of
    > Microsoft Corp.'s Windows didn't attract enough attention from Wal-Mart
    > customers, and the chain has stopped selling them in stores, a
    > spokeswoman said Monday.
    >
    > "This really wasn't what our customers were looking for," said Wal-Mart
    > Stores Inc. spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien.
    >
    > To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    > Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    > about 600 stores starting late in October.

    And now for the rest of the story....

    Paul Kim, brand manager for Everex, said selling the gPC online was
    "significantly more effective" than selling it in stores.

    Wal-Mart sold out the in-store gPC inventory but decided not to
    restock, O'Brien said. The company does not reveal sales figures for
    individual items.

    --
    The worst programs are the ones where the programmers doing the original
    work don't lay a solid foundation, and then they're not involved in the

  12. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:17:42 -0500, Rich wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>> I smell MS bribery at work here, 'cause everyone really wants Linux (700
    >>> cola "advocates" told me so).
    >>>
    >>> Wal-Mart should have displayed those bad-boy Linux machines running
    >>> X-Moto
    >>> on a 30" LCD.
    >>> http://linux.softpedia.com/screenshots/X-Moto_2.jpg LMAO!!! Linux
    >>> Format
    >>> magazine Hot Pick!
    >>>
    >>> Then they could put a Vista machine next to it running BioShock on a
    >>> measly
    >>> 22" LCD.
    >>> http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/bioshock/images.html
    >>>
    >>> Who could resist Linux then?

    >> You sure know how to wound a Linux advocate when he is down DFS
    >>
    >> They should have had 6 kernel compiles each in it's own CLI going
    >> simultaneously on all sides of a rotating cube.
    >>
    >> Now *THAT* is something average people might be interested in.
    >>
    >> BTW Walmart dumping Linux was predicted by the Windows supporters from the
    >> very first day Walmart announced it.
    >>
    >> Kudos to Walmart though for trying the concept and being on the cutting
    >> edge.
    >>
    >> The truth is, average people are just not interested in Linux.
    >>

    > Were interested but not in going back 15 years to the command prompt to type
    > in arcane lines of code! I tried Umbutu and after 3 evenings of cutting and
    > pasting from the forums I got wireless networking going. Then I discovered
    > that I couldn't play an MP3 but could play a DVD. Had to install a few
    > players to get a simple MP3 to play and have control of FF and the things
    > that Winamp does with ease. I couldn't set a play list or shuffle. Then I
    > tried to look at my other window machines to share files etc. WOW was that
    > fun mounting and un-mounting drives etc....enough back to windows and
    > clicking to get most things done!
    >
    > My two cents, Rich

    Exactly the experience that many noobs to Linux encounter.

    But if you go into the Linux groups they will call you an idiot for not
    being able to make Linux work.

    I think the proof is in the pudding and the fact that despite being free,
    desktop Linux hovers below 1 percent of market share and has done so for
    many years.

    Even the BBC recently had it pegged a 0.8 percent.

    Linux advocates need to stop the denial and start figuring out what is
    wrong with Linux that is keeping it at so low a desktop market share.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:22:48 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > Paul Kim, brand manager for Everex, said selling the gPC online was
    > "significantly more effective" than selling it in stores.

    Yea, and how many were returned.
    I'll bet a good portion of people didn't realize they weren't buying a
    Windows machine.

    Could you imagine the look on their faces when they turn the thing on and
    see Linux?

    I'd hate to be the Walmart help line person taking that call.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:32:58 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Andy wrote:
    >>> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >>>

    >>> NEW YORK (AP) - Computers that run the Linux operating system
    >>> instead of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows didn't attract enough
    >>> attention from Wal-Mart customers, and the chain has stopped
    >>> selling them in stores, a spokeswoman said Monday.
    >>>
    >>> "This really wasn't what our customers were looking for," said
    >>> Wal-Mart Stores Inc. spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien.
    >>>
    >>> To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    >>> Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    >>> about 600 stores starting late in October.
    >>>

    >> I smell MS bribery at work here, 'cause everyone really wants Linux
    >> (700 cola "advocates" told me so).
    >>
    >> Wal-Mart should have displayed those bad-boy Linux machines running
    >> X-Moto on a 30" LCD.
    >> http://linux.softpedia.com/screenshots/X-Moto_2.jpg LMAO!!! Linux
    >> Format magazine Hot Pick!
    >>
    >> Then they could put a Vista machine next to it running BioShock on a
    >> measly 22" LCD.
    >> http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/bioshock/images.html
    >>
    >> Who could resist Linux then?

    > You sure know how to wound a Linux advocate when he is down DFS

    I'm cruel that way...

    > They should have had 6 kernel compiles each in it's own CLI going
    > simultaneously on all sides of a rotating cube.
    >
    > Now *THAT* is something average people might be interested in.

    Can you imagine the excitement? Crowds gathered around, everyone ooohhhing
    and aaahhhing as ./configure and make do their magic and hundreds of lines
    of meaningless text scroll past. Then a little girl's voice pops up and
    asks excitedly "Can it play my Barbie software?" Then [H]omer turns around
    and rudely shouts at her, spittle and cornchips flying out of his piehole
    "No little girl! It can't play your ****ing Barbie software! Now ****
    off!"

    heh...

    > BTW Walmart dumping Linux was predicted by the Windows supporters
    > from the very first day Walmart announced it.
    >
    > Kudos to Walmart though for trying the concept and being on the
    > cutting edge.

    MicroCenter had Linux systems on display for a long time - they were also
    low-end junk (and they ran Linspire, which had a real Windows knockoff
    look-n-feel to it I thought).

    > The truth is, average people are just not interested in Linux.

    Neither are below-average people or above-average people

  15. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    newso6kv0n4s6bn.1a6m6d8l0vvwa$.dlg@40tude.net...
    > Linux advocates need to stop the denial and start figuring out what is
    > wrong with Linux that is keeping it at so low a desktop market share.

    What is wrong with Linux is that the only thing it has going for it is that
    it is "free". But as always, you get what you pay for. There is "free"
    food and housing available in most cities also, however I choose to pay for
    better solutions rather than settling for the "free" solutions.

  16. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    "Bob Campbell" wrote in message
    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > newso6kv0n4s6bn.1a6m6d8l0vvwa$.dlg@40tude.net...
    >> Linux advocates need to stop the denial and start figuring out what is
    >> wrong with Linux that is keeping it at so low a desktop market share.

    > What is wrong with Linux is that the only thing it has going for it is
    > that it is "free". But as always, you get what you pay for. There is
    > "free" food and housing available in most cities also, however I choose to
    > pay for better solutions rather than settling for the "free" solutions.

    I agree but with some reservations. Linux may very well be the best
    free -product- out there. But the public perception has always been what you
    describe... that you get what you pay for.

    It doesn't help that when Linux desktops are sold, it is typically installed
    on the slowest/cheapest/worst computers at the store. Most people, even if
    they are on a budget, are somewhat value conscious. When buying something
    like a desktop and shelling out a few hundred bucks, people don't want to
    buy the cheapest computer on the shelf. They feel better if they spend a
    'little more' and get what they perceive as being better quality machine and
    a overall better value. These machines typically have MS-Windows so what's
    implied the message here? Could people read the tea-leaves here and conclude
    that Linux is for the bottom-end cheapo stuff and Windows is more of a
    high-end upgrade?

  17. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    Hadron wrote:
    > Matt writes:
    >
    >> Andy wrote:
    >>> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >>>

    >>> To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    >>> Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    >>> about 600 stores starting late in October.
    >>>

    >> If Wal-Mart is still selling any machines in that price range, they
    >> aren't running Vista, which means that Linux will get another crack at
    >> those machines when XP support ends.

    > Do read the article and come back with something that make some sense
    > and is relevant. You sound almost like Liarnut with that reply.

    Show that it doesn't make sense or is irrelevant.

  18. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    Matt writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Matt writes:

    >>> If Wal-Mart is still selling any machines in that price range, they
    >>> aren't running Vista, which means that Linux will get another crack at
    >>> those machines when XP support ends.

    >> Do read the article and come back with something that make some sense
    >> and is relevant. You sound almost like Liarnut with that reply.

    > Show that it doesn't make sense or is irrelevant.

    It's hyperbole and guess work.

    Nonsense in other words.

    Fact : they tried to sell them and failed. What was it their man said
    "People simply dont want it" or something similar.

    Making things up doesn't change that.

    Address the issues and you MIGHT find a solution.

    Or is 2014 now the year of Linux?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast