Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores - Linux

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores - Linux ; amicus_curious wrote: > > "Matt" wrote in message > news:MSwBj.5909$7d1.2067@news01.roc.ny... >> Andy wrote: >>> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0 >>> >>> >>> >> >>> To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system, >>> Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex ...

  1. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> Andy wrote:
    >>> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >>>

    >>> To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    >>> Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    >>> about 600 stores starting late in October.
    >>>

    >> If Wal-Mart is still selling any machines in that price range, they
    >> aren't running Vista, which means that Linux will get another crack at
    >> those machines when XP support ends.

    > Why would you think that is so? Vista Home is the same price,
    > apparently, as XP Home for the OEMs and will work just fine on the same
    > hardware. It doesn't offer much of any advantage, but it is for sale
    > and works as before. Current Walmart advertising seems to offer Vista
    > machines across the board.
    >
    > Rather than hypothesizing or trying to derive an answer, it is a lot
    > easier and more accurate to just look it up.

    There is no $200 computer fit to run Vista.

  2. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    * Steven Friel Jr. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> I wonder what they make of Vista, then.

    > I wonder why you left out the best part of my post - "I agree but with some
    > reservations. Linux may very well be the best free -product- out there. But
    > the public perception has always been what you describe... that you get what
    > you pay for."

    Because it wasn't, at all the best part, in my opinion.

    > Anywho - What do they make of Vista? Dunno. I don't run Vista but I've been
    > in those consumer electronic stores and I checked it out. As far as the
    > display-demo machines go it ran pretty well. They don't put Vista on the
    > 1.2Ghz Celeron machines but the machines I tried it on actually ran pretty
    > decent.

    It tried it, and it took 20 seconds to come back from the screen-saving
    mode. Bleh.

    > The point I'm trying to make and don't take this as a cheap shot against
    > Linux is this. Most people don't know that much about computers. They go to
    > the store and they are going to be very impressionable based on what they
    > see. So they see all the "nice" computers, the expensive top-of-the-line
    > computers that come with the big monitors and everything. They see all those
    > computers running Windows. But over in the corner by the "bargain closeout
    > section" they see a $199 computer running Linux. What are people going to
    > think when they see that?

    Oh, I agree in many ways with what you say. Unfortunately, people
    perceive value in price. And, when there's no one to correct them, they
    may indeed think it "has to be bad" because it is "so cheap".

    > Or let's use the tired old car analogy but with a twist. Say you know
    > nothing about cars or tires. You go car shopping at a bunch of different
    > dealerships and all the $600 clunkers in the lot have Goodyear tires. But
    > the nice cars, the cars by BMW, Lexus, Benz all have Michelin tires. Most
    > people are going to see this and think that Goodyear tires are crap and that
    > Michelin tires are superior.
    >
    > That's the point I'm getting at. Linux needs to associate itself with
    > quality in the eyes and minds of the consumer. If the only place people see
    > Linux is on the el-cheapo computers then they're going to make the mental
    > association with Linux and inferior systems. I ain't saying it's fair or
    > accurate. But it is what it is.

    Well, at this point, any progress on the home consumer progress is good.

    Microsoft's influence is powerful. It continues to be powerful. I have
    personally been quite surprised at how powerful, even in the face of
    numerous MS screwups.

    --
    About 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but people don't pay
    for the software. Someday they will, though. As long as they are going to

  3. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    * Steven Friel Jr. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Now Toyota, Nissan and the rest have trounced them, and it will be the
    >> same in computing. As we speak, the MS dominance of world computing is
    >> history.

    > Yeah... but no too. One thing is that Toyota, Nissan, Honda and all trounced
    > them because the public perception (and statistics) show that these are now
    > the companies who are building the high quality cars that people want.
    > Survey after survey and study after study show that American cars made by
    > the likes of Ford and GM are worse.

    You mean, like.... Vista?

    --
    I really had a lot of dreams when I was a kid, and I think a great deal of
    that grew out of the fact that I had a chance to read a lot.

  4. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    "Matt" wrote in message

    > There is no $200 computer fit to run Vista.

    And you know that? How?

  5. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    Jim Richardson wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:58:23 +0100,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Matt writes:

    >>> Show that it doesn't make sense or is irrelevant.

    >> It's hyperbole and guess work.
    >>

    > oh! the irony! Hadron of all people, chiding someone else for hyperbole.

    That's a cracker, isn't it! LOL

    --
    Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
    Linux systems: PCLOS 2007,Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10.

  6. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    On 2008-03-11 11:13:58 -0400, Andy said:

    > http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >

    > [quote]
    > NEW YORK (AP) Computers that run the Linux operating system instead
    > of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows didn't attract enough attention from
    > Wal-Mart customers, and the chain has stopped selling them in stores, a
    > spokeswoman said Monday.
    >
    > "This really wasn't what our customers were looking for," said Wal-Mart
    > Stores Inc. spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien.

    Not a big surprise, average "Joe Blows" won't touch it, it's not
    Windows. That's all MOST people know.

    Me? Ditched that POS Windows 9 years ago and never looked back!

  7. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt

    wrote
    on Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:21:28 GMT
    :
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >> "Matt" wrote in message

    >>> If Wal-Mart is still selling any machines in that price range, they
    >>> aren't running Vista, which means that Linux will get another crack at
    >>> those machines when XP support ends.

    >> Why would you think that is so? Vista Home is the same price,
    >> apparently, as XP Home for the OEMs and will work just fine on the same
    >> hardware. It doesn't offer much of any advantage, but it is for sale
    >> and works as before. Current Walmart advertising seems to offer Vista
    >> machines across the board.
    >>
    >> Rather than hypothesizing or trying to derive an answer, it is a lot
    >> easier and more accurate to just look it up.

    > There is no $200 computer fit to run Vista.

    Define "fit", "run", and "Vista".

    [1] Fit: suitable for the task. See "run".
    [2] Run: execute commands. A lot of computers will be able to run
    Vista's commands. How fast is another question.
    [3] Vista: Ah, the big question mark. Home Basic is pretty, erm, basic;
    the requirements therefor are probably 512 MB if that. Ultimate would
    probably require 2 GB to run smoothly, and 1 GB to just run.

    If one throws Aero into the mix things get even more interesting.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...uirements.mspx

    Looking at Dell, I'm not seeing a $200 system. RAM is
    apparently running $50/GB, give or take. Hard drives are
    running $0.50/GB, maybe. Therefore the system requirements
    will be at least $70, in those areas.

    Processors are far more difficult to characterize.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. It'll Fix Everything(tm).

  8. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:11:01 +0000 (UTC), the wharf rat wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Rich wrote:
    >>
    >>going but no one ever thought of putting this in a bundle and click here to

    > Think of Linux as the manual transmission of the desktop. You need
    > to spend a little time learning how to start it without stalling but once
    > you get the idea you'll never have to wait for some dumb piece of machinery
    > to downshift so you can merge from an on-ramp.

    Until the first time you are stuck on a 60 degree incline and have to get
    moving from a standstill and the car behind you is 6 inches from your rear
    bumper.

    There is a reason why many of the sports cars now come the DSG type
    transmissions most of which which can be shifted totally manually, usually
    by paddles, or automatically.

    No clutch needed.

    (Note I'm a clutch person myself, I'm just saying the average person
    doesn't want one, even the average sports car driver hence the DSG
    transmissions which typically can be shifted manually)

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Who needs wallmart?

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:19:50 GMT, 7 wrote:

    > Andy wrote:
    >
    >> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >>

    >> NEW YORK (AP) ? Computers that run the Linux operating system instead of
    >> Microsoft Corp.'s Windows didn't attract enough attention from Wal-Mart
    >> customers, and the chain has stopped selling them in stores, a
    >> spokeswoman said Monday.
    >>
    >> "This really wasn't what our customers were looking for," said Wal-Mart
    >> Stores Inc. spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien.
    >>
    >> To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    >> Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    >> about 600 stores starting late in October.
    >>

    > Who needs wallmart when Ausus alone is due to ship 5 million Linux EEE PCs?
    >
    > Sounds like wallmart isn't run very well.

    You guys did.
    When the Walmart deal was first announced you and the COLA gang were
    squealing like a bunch of school girls.

    I predicted at that point the experiment would fail.
    And as usual, I am correct.

    Now that Walmart has failed at selling Linux systems, like the typical
    Linux advocate you go into sour grapes mode.

    As for Asus, if they were selling that many Linux Eee notebooks why do they
    need to release a Windows version?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Who needs wallmart?

    7 wrote:

    > Who needs wallmart when Ausus alone is due to ship 5 million Linux EEE
    > PCs?
    >
    > Sounds like wallmart isn't run very well.

    Let's face it, the Everex computer wasn't much of a machine. You can buy
    superior machines -- used -- on eBay for half the price and load your own
    Linux.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  11. Re: Who needs wallmart?

    RonB wrote:
    > 7 wrote:

    >> Who needs wallmart when Ausus alone is due to ship 5 million Linux
    >> EEE PCs?
    >>
    >> Sounds like wallmart isn't run very well.

    > Let's face it, the Everex computer wasn't much of a machine. You can
    > buy superior machines -- used -- on eBay for half the price and load
    > your own Linux.

    What I'd like to know is, how can a system so popular that it quickly
    sold-out in all 600 Wal-Mart stores it was sold in, somehow be denounced
    as something that "really wasn't what our customers were looking for"?

    That seems like a rather obvious contradiction, doesn't it?

    Sweaty's grease-gun has been working overtime again.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    00:47:14 up 81 days, 22:23, 5 users, load average: 0.02, 0.11, 0.06

  12. Re: Who needs wallmart?

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:47:46 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> 7 wrote:

    >>> Who needs wallmart when Ausus alone is due to ship 5 million Linux
    >>> EEE PCs?
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like wallmart isn't run very well.

    >> Let's face it, the Everex computer wasn't much of a machine. You can
    >> buy superior machines -- used -- on eBay for half the price and load
    >> your own Linux.

    > What I'd like to know is, how can a system so popular that it quickly
    > sold-out in all 600 Wal-Mart stores it was sold in, somehow be denounced
    > as something that "really wasn't what our customers were looking for"?
    >
    > That seems like a rather obvious contradiction, doesn't it?
    >
    > Sweaty's grease-gun has been working overtime again.

    They don't mention how many were returned........

    Do some research on the typical Walmart shopper.
    IOW demographics etc.

    One of the other posters hit the nail on the head in that people don't know
    what they are buying.
    If you read or in this case *read* the Walmart descriptions for the various
    systems they sold it was not obvious to the noob that these were not
    Windows machines.

    The reviews on the Walmart site were also highly hot and cold with very few
    middle of the road reviews.

    The geeks loved Linux and were using these machines for home servers,
    Internet mail etc for grandma and so forth. Many installed different
    versions of Linux on them.

    The other people were like WTF did I buy?

    They are all gone now, but I got the impression that for people who knew
    what they were buying, it was a good deal.

    For the average person though, they felt like they got mislead.

    I suspect the return rate was enormous on these things.

    --

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >>
    >> There is no $200 computer fit to run Vista.

    > And you know that? How?

    Obviously the only way to know is to check the price and OS of all
    computers for sale anywhere in the world.

    I have done that, and there were none.

    In case I missed any, I would like to know about it.

  14. Re: Who needs wallmart?

    [H]omer wrote:

    > What I'd like to know is, how can a system so popular that it quickly
    > sold-out in all 600 Wal-Mart stores it was sold in, somehow be denounced
    > as something that "really wasn't what our customers were looking for"?
    >
    > That seems like a rather obvious contradiction, doesn't it?

    I guess means "it really wasn't what we *wanted* our customers to be looking
    for."

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  15. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    "Rick" stated in post 13tdt97f7cjqbb9@news.supernews.com
    on 3/11/08 2:09 PM:

    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:51:35 -0400, Steven Friel Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>> * Steven Friel Jr. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> I wonder what they make of Vista, then.

    >> I wonder why you left out the best part of my post - "I agree but with
    >> some reservations. Linux may very well be the best free -product- out
    >> there. But the public perception has always been what you describe...
    >> that you get what you pay for."

    > And then there's ... If it's free, it's for me.

    Does not seem to hurt Firefox or AVG or Spybot or ... well... what *does* it
    hurt?

    --
    "Innovation is not about saying yes to everything. It's about saying NO to
    all but the most crucial features." -- Steve Jobs

  16. Re: Wal-Mart Ends Test of Linux in Stores

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > I'd hate to be the Walmart help line person taking that call.

    I always found it rather amusing that Walmart decided to try and sell a
    computer with an "alien" OS, when their electronics clerks don't even know
    jack about Windows.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Please write your complaint legibly in this box -->[].

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  17. Re: Who needs wallmart?

    Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer Moshe Goldfarb wrote on behalf of
    micoshaft corporation:

    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:19:50 GMT, 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Andy wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >>>

    >>> NEW YORK (AP) ? Computers that run the Linux operating system instead of
    >>> Microsoft Corp.'s Windows didn't attract enough attention from Wal-Mart
    >>> customers, and the chain has stopped selling them in stores, a
    >>> spokeswoman said Monday.
    >>>
    >>> "This really wasn't what our customers were looking for," said Wal-Mart
    >>> Stores Inc. spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien.
    >>>
    >>> To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    >>> Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    >>> about 600 stores starting late in October.
    >>>

    >> Who needs wallmart when Ausus alone is due to ship 5 million Linux EEE
    >> PCs?
    >>
    >> Sounds like wallmart isn't run very well.

    > You guys did.
    > When the Walmart deal was first announced you and the COLA gang were
    > squealing like a bunch of school girls.
    >
    > I predicted at that point the experiment would fail.
    > And as usual, I am correct.
    >
    > Now that Walmart has failed at selling Linux systems, like the typical
    > Linux advocate you go into sour grapes mode.
    >
    > As for Asus, if they were selling that many Linux Eee notebooks why do
    > they need to release a Windows version?

    I have heard asstroturfers are turning to fraud and have been asked by
    micoshaft to buy and return PCs to tell wallmart to it wasn't
    what they wanted.

    If this is true, its a serious case market manipulation by an encumbant
    monopolist and needs the full force of the law to fall upon micoshaft
    and their windummies.

  18. Re: Who needs wallmart?

    Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer Moshe Goldfarb wrote on behalf of
    micoshaft corporation:

    > On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:47:46 +0000, [H]omer wrote:
    >
    >> RonB wrote:

    >>> Let's face it, the Everex computer wasn't much of a machine. You can
    >>> buy superior machines -- used -- on eBay for half the price and load
    >>> your own Linux.

    >> What I'd like to know is, how can a system so popular that it quickly
    >> sold-out in all 600 Wal-Mart stores it was sold in, somehow be denounced
    >> as something that "really wasn't what our customers were looking for"?
    >>
    >> That seems like a rather obvious contradiction, doesn't it?
    >>
    >> Sweaty's grease-gun has been working overtime again.

    > They don't mention how many were returned........
    >
    > Do some research on the typical Walmart shopper.
    > IOW demographics etc.
    >
    > One of the other posters hit the nail on the head in that people don't
    > know what they are buying.

    I have heard asstroturfers are turning to fraud and have been asked by
    micoshaft to buy and return PCs to tell wallmart it wasn't
    what they wanted.

    Is this true Mr. Goldfart?

    If this is true, its a serious case market manipulation by an encumbant
    monopolist and needs the full force of the law to fall upon micoshaft
    and their windummies.

  19. Re: Who needs wallmart?

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:19:50 GMT, 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Andy wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    >>>

    >>> NEW YORK (AP) ? Computers that run the Linux operating system instead of
    >>> Microsoft Corp.'s Windows didn't attract enough attention from Wal-Mart
    >>> customers, and the chain has stopped selling them in stores, a
    >>> spokeswoman said Monday.
    >>>
    >>> "This really wasn't what our customers were looking for," said Wal-Mart
    >>> Stores Inc. spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien.
    >>>
    >>> To test demand for systems with the open-source operating system,
    >>> Wal-Mart stocked the $199 "Green gPC," made by Everex of Taiwan, in
    >>> about 600 stores starting late in October.
    >>>

    >> Who needs wallmart when Ausus alone is due to ship 5 million Linux EEE PCs?
    >>
    >> Sounds like wallmart isn't run very well.

    > You guys did.

    Yup. Remember the squeals of delight and the sage pronouncements of Joe
    Public finally being exposed to a superior OS?

    > When the Walmart deal was first announced you and the COLA gang were
    > squealing like a bunch of school girls.

    You do remember! You could almost hear the COLA headbangers signing off
    "The War Is Over" in their Tux diary.

    > I predicted at that point the experiment would fail.

    Yup. Me too.

    > And as usual, I am correct.

    Yup. It wasn't difficult to guess though. Walmart is a shoddy ill run
    place selling generally shoddy goods using shoddy staff. Or it was in
    Germany. The chance of them having anyone who could shift a Linux system
    when someone asks for a "Windows PC" was virtually nil.

    > Now that Walmart has failed at selling Linux systems, like the typical
    > Linux advocate you go into sour grapes mode.

    Yup. Everyone else's fault.

    > As for Asus, if they were selling that many Linux Eee notebooks why do they
    > need to release a Windows version?

    Surely it's all about choice?

  20. Re: Who needs wallmart?

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 03:16:22 GMT, 7 wrote:

    > Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer Moshe Goldfarb wrote on behalf of
    > micoshaft corporation:

    >>> Who needs wallmart when Ausus alone is due to ship 5 million Linux EEE
    >>> PCs?
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like wallmart isn't run very well.

    >> You guys did.
    >> When the Walmart deal was first announced you and the COLA gang were
    >> squealing like a bunch of school girls.
    >>
    >> I predicted at that point the experiment would fail.
    >> And as usual, I am correct.
    >>
    >> Now that Walmart has failed at selling Linux systems, like the typical
    >> Linux advocate you go into sour grapes mode.
    >>
    >> As for Asus, if they were selling that many Linux Eee notebooks why do
    >> they need to release a Windows version?

    > I have heard asstroturfers are turning to fraud and have been asked by
    > micoshaft to buy and return PCs to tell wallmart to it wasn't
    > what they wanted.
    >
    > If this is true, its a serious case market manipulation by an encumbant
    > monopolist and needs the full force of the law to fall upon micoshaft
    > and their windummies.

    Off your meds again Michael?