[News] OpenOffice.org Blocks Tivoization, Goes v3! - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] OpenOffice.org Blocks Tivoization, Goes v3! - Linux ; OpenOffice.org goes to LGPLv3 ,----[ Quote ] | You may recall that a team from Sun devoted a great deal of time to the | process of drafting the GPLv3. Our engagement was not just the monitoring | exercise that ...

  1. [News] OpenOffice.org Blocks Tivoization, Goes v3!

    OpenOffice.org goes to LGPLv3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | You may recall that a team from Sun devoted a great deal of time to the
    | process of drafting the GPLv3. Our engagement was not just the monitoring
    | exercise that I suspect it was for many of the corporate participants. It was
    | always my hope that Sun would use the license for significant software
    | projects.
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/o...goes_to_lgplv3

    This ought to shut up the remaining critics who say that "only small projects
    choose GPLv3". Qt, Samba, SugarCRM...

    Related:

    A Quick Guide to GPLv3

    http://www.fsf.org/licensing/license...ide-gplv3.html

    Mark Webbink On: GPLv3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This week Mark Webbink, former Red Hat General Counsel discusses the GPLv3
    | and talks about the limits of sharing, the mellowing out of Linus Torvalds, *
    | and issues with the LGPLv3.
    `----

    http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.c...plv3/#comments

    Sun tiptoes into GPLv3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun Microsystems will release its xVM Ops Center virtualisation management
    | application under the General Public Licence version 3 (GPLv3), the company
    | revealed at the Oracle OpenWorld conference in San Francisco. *
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...-tiptoes-gplv3

    Why does Microsoft seem scared of GPLv3?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is extremely keen to avoid "legal debate" over whether its recent
    | partnerships with Linux firms such as Novell, Xandros, and Linspire, mean
    | Redmond must assume any of the new licenses' legal obligations. *
    `----

    FSF Says GPLv3 Means Microsoft Patent Protection for All

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's covenant not to sue users of Novell's SUSE Linux
    | Enterprise will be extended to all General Public License v3
    | users as soon as Novell includes GPLv3 code within its Linux
    | distribution, according to the Free Software Foundation.
    `----

    http://www.computerwire.com/industri...5-9939E5829EFC

  2. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org Blocks Tivoization, Goes v3!

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > OpenOffice.org goes to LGPLv3
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| You may recall that a team from Sun devoted a great deal of time to the
    >| process of drafting the GPLv3. Our engagement was not just the monitoring
    >| exercise that I suspect it was for many of the corporate participants. It was
    >| always my hope that Sun would use the license for significant software
    >| projects.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/o...goes_to_lgplv3
    >
    > This ought to shut up the remaining critics who say that "only small projects
    > choose GPLv3". Qt, Samba, SugarCRM...

    It's a happy moment indeed, and although I know we have several folk who
    are not in agreement yet, I sincerely hope that over time, they'll begin
    to see the advantages of GPLv3. v2 has too many loopholes which enable
    BSDisation of the GPL.