InfoWorld: Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It! - Linux

This is a discussion on InfoWorld: Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It! - Linux ; http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...tml?source=rss It's over. The magic is gone. The dream is dead. The egg has fallen off the wall and no amount of "sudo" super glue can put his pieces back together again. I'm referring, of course, to the not-so-recent departure ...

  1. InfoWorld: Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...tml?source=rss

    It's over. The magic is gone. The dream is dead. The egg has fallen
    off the wall and no amount of "sudo" super glue can put his pieces
    back together again.

    I'm referring, of course, to the not-so-recent departure of Con
    Kolivas from the Linux kernel development community. Con - that
    champion of all things desktop centric - hung-up his keyboard this
    summer, the victim of an ideological rift within the Linux community.

    On one side, you have Linus Torvalds and his true Linux "geekerati"
    underlings. These guys are mostly concerned with promoting Linux
    within the enterprise - i.e. Projects involving lots of parallel CPUs,
    massive storage and high-end TPC results. On the other side you have
    guys like Con who made it their mission to bring Linux on par with
    Windows and Mac OS X in the desktop arena. Things like smooth playback
    of digital content and better memory management for interactive users
    are what fuel their inner Linux fires.

  2. Re: InfoWorld: Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!

    "John Bailo, Texeme.Construct" wrote in message
    news:1190069103.872024.102100@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...

    > http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...tml?source=rss
    >

    > It's over. The magic is gone. The dream is dead. The egg has fallen
    > off the wall and no amount of "sudo" super glue can put his pieces
    > back together again.
    >
    > I'm referring, of course, to the not-so-recent departure of Con
    > Kolivas from the Linux kernel development community. Con - that
    > champion of all things desktop centric - hung-up his keyboard this
    > summer, the victim of an ideological rift within the Linux community.
    >
    > On one side, you have Linus Torvalds and his true Linux "geekerati"
    > underlings. These guys are mostly concerned with promoting Linux
    > within the enterprise - i.e. Projects involving lots of parallel CPUs,
    > massive storage and high-end TPC results. On the other side you have
    > guys like Con who made it their mission to bring Linux on par with
    > Windows and Mac OS X in the desktop arena. Things like smooth playback
    > of digital content and better memory management for interactive users
    > are what fuel their inner Linux fires.

    It's no wonder that linux is the most un-friendly OS out there. Everyone
    involved with linux is too busy creating their own distro or writing yet
    another text editor instead of actually working on things that users care
    about.

  3. Re: InfoWorld: Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!

    ____/ John Bailo, Texeme.Construct on Monday 17 September 2007 23:45 : \____

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...tml?source=rss

    > It's over. The magic is gone. The dream is dead. The egg has fallen
    > off the wall and no amount of "sudo" super glue can put his pieces
    > back together again.
    >
    > I'm referring, of course, to the not-so-recent departure of Con
    > Kolivas from the Linux kernel development community. Con - that
    > champion of all things desktop centric - hung-up his keyboard this
    > summer, the victim of an ideological rift within the Linux community.
    >
    > On one side, you have Linus Torvalds and his true Linux "geekerati"
    > underlings. These guys are mostly concerned with promoting Linux
    > within the enterprise - i.e. Projects involving lots of parallel CPUs,
    > massive storage and high-end TPC results. On the other side you have
    > guys like Con who made it their mission to bring Linux on par with
    > Windows and Mac OS X in the desktop arena. Things like smooth playback
    > of digital content and better memory management for interactive users
    > are what fuel their inner Linux fires.

    Surely this man does not know what he writes about because he does not take
    account of the *full* story. Linus and other kernel developers have weighed in
    on this issue. I like CK, but the CK patch was apparently very inelegant and
    Con, being someone who is not the most professional developer (he is in
    medicine), needed some help from others. CFS seemed like the way to go whilst
    the CK patch became a bit of a burden. Linus had to find a polite way and
    resolution to end this and Ingo worked on CFS. CK's patch, which is
    peripheral, was bound to become irrelevant at this stage. It was only a matter
    as time. As I understand it, Con decided to leave and he made a big stink
    about by blaming big companies and other kernel hackers. The APC interview
    (Australian site... that's where Con lives) had people hear just one side of
    the story.

    Forking Linux ius a huge task (and therefore expensive). It won't happen any
    time soon. Tweaks and patches thatbare vendor-specific are more likely. Just
    watch Oracle.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Falsity implies anything

  4. Re: InfoWorld: Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!

    Professor Dungby wrote:

    [snip trollery]

    What?

  5. Re: InfoWorld: Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:41:01 -0400, Professor Dungby wrote:

    > "John Bailo, Texeme.Construct" wrote in message
    > news:1190069103.872024.102100@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    >>
    >> http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...hives/2007/09/

    desktop_linux_s.html?source=rss

    >> It's over. The magic is gone. The dream is dead. The egg has fallen off
    >> the wall and no amount of "sudo" super glue can put his pieces back
    >> together again.
    >>
    >> I'm referring, of course, to the not-so-recent departure of Con Kolivas
    >> from the Linux kernel development community. Con - that champion of all
    >> things desktop centric - hung-up his keyboard this summer, the victim
    >> of an ideological rift within the Linux community.
    >>
    >> On one side, you have Linus Torvalds and his true Linux "geekerati"
    >> underlings. These guys are mostly concerned with promoting Linux within
    >> the enterprise - i.e. Projects involving lots of parallel CPUs, massive
    >> storage and high-end TPC results. On the other side you have guys like
    >> Con who made it their mission to bring Linux on par with Windows and
    >> Mac OS X in the desktop arena. Things like smooth playback of digital
    >> content and better memory management for interactive users are what
    >> fuel their inner Linux fires.

    > It's no wonder that linux is the most un-friendly OS out there.

    So you have no experience with Linux?

  6. Re: InfoWorld: Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!

    ____/ bob on Tuesday 18 September 2007 10:32 : \____

    > On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:41:01 -0400, Professor Dungby wrote:
    >
    >> "John Bailo, Texeme.Construct" wrote in message
    >> news:1190069103.872024.102100@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    >>>
    >>> http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...hives/2007/09/

    > desktop_linux_s.html?source=rss
    >>>

    >>> It's over. The magic is gone. The dream is dead. The egg has fallen off
    >>> the wall and no amount of "sudo" super glue can put his pieces back
    >>> together again.
    >>>
    >>> I'm referring, of course, to the not-so-recent departure of Con Kolivas
    >>> from the Linux kernel development community. Con - that champion of all
    >>> things desktop centric - hung-up his keyboard this summer, the victim
    >>> of an ideological rift within the Linux community.
    >>>
    >>> On one side, you have Linus Torvalds and his true Linux "geekerati"
    >>> underlings. These guys are mostly concerned with promoting Linux within
    >>> the enterprise - i.e. Projects involving lots of parallel CPUs, massive
    >>> storage and high-end TPC results. On the other side you have guys like
    >>> Con who made it their mission to bring Linux on par with Windows and
    >>> Mac OS X in the desktop arena. Things like smooth playback of digital
    >>> content and better memory management for interactive users are what
    >>> fuel their inner Linux fires.

    >> It's no wonder that linux is the most un-friendly OS out there.

    > So you have no experience with Linux?

    No, but he's an expert in... errr... "Dung"... apparently. Must be Scott Nudds
    with his feces fetish.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
    Tasks: 125 total, 1 running, 124 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  7. Re: InfoWorld: Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!

    On 2007-09-17, Professor Dungby wrote:

    > "John Bailo, Texeme.Construct" wrote in message
    > news:1190069103.872024.102100@57g2000hsv.googlegro ups.com...
    >>
    >> http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...tml?source=rss
    >>

    >> It's over. The magic is gone. The dream is dead. The egg has fallen
    >> off the wall and no amount of "sudo" super glue can put his pieces
    >> back together again.
    >>
    >> I'm referring, of course, to the not-so-recent departure of Con
    >> Kolivas from the Linux kernel development community. Con - that
    >> champion of all things desktop centric - hung-up his keyboard this
    >> summer, the victim of an ideological rift within the Linux community.
    >>
    >> On one side, you have Linus Torvalds and his true Linux "geekerati"
    >> underlings. These guys are mostly concerned with promoting Linux
    >> within the enterprise - i.e. Projects involving lots of parallel CPUs,
    >> massive storage and high-end TPC results. On the other side you have
    >> guys like Con who made it their mission to bring Linux on par with
    >> Windows and Mac OS X in the desktop arena. Things like smooth playback
    >> of digital content and better memory management for interactive users
    >> are what fuel their inner Linux fires.
    >>

    > It's no wonder that linux is the most un-friendly OS out there. Everyone
    > involved with linux is too busy creating their own distro or writing yet
    > another text editor instead of actually working on things that users care
    > about.

    You mean like media servers or video players or video editors?

    Con can whine all he likes. Meanwhile, the rest of us that are
    actually interested in what he's whining about are quite effectively
    using Linux in practice.

    Short of allowing Linux to do a BeOS style spinning cube video demo
    I'm not sure what he can do for me.

    --

    It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.

    They brought us the email virus.

    In my Atari days, such a notion would have |||
    been considered a complete absurdity. / | \

+ Reply to Thread