MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux) - Linux

This is a discussion on MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux) - Linux ; Who's the King of R&D? When R&D Magazine presented its annual survey ranking the World's Best R&D Companies in October, 2007, several companies got to share the spotlight. The magazine's editors compared data such as patents received, R&D headcount, and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

  1. MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    Who's the King of R&D?

    When R&D Magazine presented its annual survey ranking the World's Best
    R&D Companies in October, 2007, several companies got to share the
    spotlight. The magazine's editors compared data such as patents
    received, R&D headcount, and new-product sales for 130 R&D-intensive
    companies. Then they surveyed readers to get additional input. IBM
    (IBM) ranked No.1 overall. When it came to which company's R&D has the
    strongest influence on society, however, Microsoft (MSFT) won the top
    spot.

  2. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, raylopez99

    wrote
    on Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:26:30 -0800 (PST)
    <28c1c4ef-6ea0-4de7-a7fb-6353a35f9142@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>:
    > Who's the King of R&D?
    >
    > When R&D Magazine presented its annual survey ranking
    > the World's Best R&D Companies in October, 2007,
    > several companies got to share the spotlight. The
    > magazine's editors compared data such as patents
    > received, R&D headcount, and new-product sales for
    > 130 R&D-intensive companies. Then they surveyed readers
    > to get additional input. IBM (IBM) ranked No.1 overall.
    > When it came to which company's R&D has the strongest
    > influence on society, however, Microsoft (MSFT) won the
    > top spot.


    And remember, this automatically makes Microsoft Windows
    Vista(tm) the best solution out there for desktop machines.

    Yeah.

    Pull the other one. It squirts prune juice. (At least, it
    looks a bit like prune juice, colorwise.)

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  3. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Who's the King of R&D?
    >
    > When R&D Magazine presented its annual survey ranking the World's Best
    > R&D Companies in October, 2007, several companies got to share the
    > spotlight. The magazine's editors compared data such as patents
    > received, R&D headcount, and new-product sales for 130 R&D-intensive
    > companies. Then they surveyed readers to get additional input. IBM
    > (IBM) ranked No.1 overall. When it came to which company's R&D has the
    > strongest influence on society, however, Microsoft (MSFT) won the top
    > spot.



    For once I totally agree with this assessment of microsoft. It has literally
    driven the world mad with BSOD, LOCKUPS, WORMS, VIRUS, MALWARE, BACKDOORS,
    BROKEN UPDATES and to top it all off... VISTA. That is an influence of epic
    proportions... Only MSFT could have done that...


    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  4. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    In article
    <28c1c4ef-6ea0-4de7-a7fb-6353a35f9142@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    raylopez99 wrote:
    > When R&D Magazine presented its annual survey ranking the World's Best
    > R&D Companies in October, 2007, several companies got to share the
    > spotlight. The magazine's editors compared data such as patents
    > received, R&D headcount, and new-product sales for 130 R&D-intensive
    > companies. Then they surveyed readers to get additional input. IBM
    > (IBM) ranked No.1 overall. When it came to which company's R&D has the
    > strongest influence on society, however, Microsoft (MSFT) won the top
    > spot.


    Keep in mind that almost no one here actually keeps up with research.
    You won't find many who read peer-reviewed journals, conference
    proceedings, and things like that. They have no clue what is going on
    in the world of research.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > Pull the other one. It squirts prune juice. (At least, it
    > looks a bit like prune juice, colorwise.)


    You squirt prune juice out of your nips? ugh




  6. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > In article
    > <28c1c4ef-6ea0-4de7-a7fb-6353a35f9142@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >> When R&D Magazine presented its annual survey ranking the World's Best
    >> R&D Companies in October, 2007, several companies got to share the
    >> spotlight. The magazine's editors compared data such as patents
    >> received, R&D headcount, and new-product sales for 130 R&D-intensive
    >> companies. Then they surveyed readers to get additional input. IBM
    >> (IBM) ranked No.1 overall. When it came to which company's R&D has the
    >> strongest influence on society, however, Microsoft (MSFT) won the top
    >> spot.

    >
    > Keep in mind that almost no one here actually keeps up with research.
    > You won't find many who read peer-reviewed journals, conference
    > proceedings, and things like that. They have no clue what is going on
    > in the world of research.


    Tim's now a sock puppet for Se˝or Dopez!

    --
    We will never make a 32-bit operating system.
    -- Bill Gates, At the launch of MSX[3]

  7. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Tue, 4 Mar 2008 22:38:26 -0500
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> Pull the other one. It squirts prune juice. (At least, it
    >> looks a bit like prune juice, colorwise.)

    >
    > You squirt prune juice out of your nips? ugh
    >


    I didn't say nipples. ;-) And it only looks like prune juice.

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    New Technology? Not There. No Thanks.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  8. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    Linonut writes:

    G> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In article
    >> <28c1c4ef-6ea0-4de7-a7fb-6353a35f9142@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    >> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>> When R&D Magazine presented its annual survey ranking the World's Best
    >>> R&D Companies in October, 2007, several companies got to share the
    >>> spotlight. The magazine's editors compared data such as patents
    >>> received, R&D headcount, and new-product sales for 130 R&D-intensive
    >>> companies. Then they surveyed readers to get additional input. IBM
    >>> (IBM) ranked No.1 overall. When it came to which company's R&D has the
    >>> strongest influence on society, however, Microsoft (MSFT) won the top
    >>> spot.

    >>
    >> Keep in mind that almost no one here actually keeps up with research.
    >> You won't find many who read peer-reviewed journals, conference
    >> proceedings, and things like that. They have no clue what is going on
    >> in the world of research.

    >
    > Tim's now a sock puppet for Se├▒or Dopez!


    Yuk Yuk!

  9. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:27:20 -0800,
    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article
    ><28c1c4ef-6ea0-4de7-a7fb-6353a35f9142@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >> When R&D Magazine presented its annual survey ranking the World's Best
    >> R&D Companies in October, 2007, several companies got to share the
    >> spotlight. The magazine's editors compared data such as patents
    >> received, R&D headcount, and new-product sales for 130 R&D-intensive
    >> companies. Then they surveyed readers to get additional input. IBM
    >> (IBM) ranked No.1 overall. When it came to which company's R&D has the
    >> strongest influence on society, however, Microsoft (MSFT) won the top
    >> spot.

    >
    > Keep in mind that almost no one here actually keeps up with research.
    > You won't find many who read peer-reviewed journals, conference
    > proceedings, and things like that. They have no clue what is going on
    > in the world of research.
    >




    "Keeps up with research" is about as vague and meaningless a phrase as
    "knowing science"


    I keep up with research in some areas. Areas that interest me, I would
    expect that many others do.


    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFHzv5Fd90bcYOAWPYRAoakAKDOnAQrOnNlvQJxTMLHQF wDTwDyWACfYXGh
    iiXyYBGKlGt998197ETW3GM=
    =gZ+L
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

    --
    Jim Richardson http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
    Gravity is unforgiving.

  10. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> On Mar 5, 12:01*am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>> > Who's the King of R&D?

    >>
    >>> Let's rephrase this last bit: "When it came to which technological
    >>> company has the strongest influence on society, however, Microsoft (MSFT)
    >>> won the top spot." This has nothing to do with R&D.

    >>
    >> Pace R&D Magazine, which knows R&D.

    >
    > Obviously they do not. They know big sponsors, though.



    What does a documentation monkey know about R&D? Seriously. The rest of
    your post indicates sweet f*ck all.

    >
    >>> We all know that Microsoft is
    >>> technologically incompetent, and usually very bad at predicting what
    >>> people want -- and even if this dinosaur finally cottoned on to a trend,
    >>> after the nimbler companies have proven a huge market potential for one
    >>> new product or another, what they come up with is best described as
    >>> eye-watering crap, either in a technological sense or as a product per
    >>> se, or both (Zune, anyone? Or WHS? Or XBox?).

    >>
    >> And your point is? That MSFT is not an early adopter? Neither are
    >> the Japanese, yet they are good in consumer electronics R&D.

    >
    > Microsoft always comes up last when it comes to new developments. And
    > not


    The facts do not back you up. Your irrational hatred of them blinds you
    to the facts.

    Here:

    http://research.microsoft.com/resear...s/default.aspx

    Try reading. Embarrassed? No? Bloody hell, I would be.


    > only that, they always come up with the most pathetic crap as well in
    > response to new developments. Then they fight their way forward, throwing
    > around big bags of cash, and start claiming they were in the forefront with
    > their "awwr-and-deee" all the time. And those suckers from Pace R&D


    You're a loony.


    *snip vitriol and dribble from Dicky Rasker*

  11. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    On Mar 5, 2:58*pm, Hadron wrote:

    > Here:
    >
    > http://research.microsoft.com/resear...s/default.aspx
    >
    > Try reading. Embarrassed? No? Bloody hell, I would be.
    >
    > > only that, they always come up with the most pathetic crap as well in
    > > response to new developments. Then they fight their way forward, throwing
    > > around big bags of cash, and start claiming they were in the forefront with
    > > their "awwr-and-deee" all the time. And those suckers from Pace R&D

    >
    > You're a loony.
    >
    > *snip vitriol and dribble from Dicky Rasker*


    Good one Hadron. Dicky Rasker is so stoopiid that he thought "Pace"
    was the formal name of the magazine, when in fact it simply means
    "Except for". I'm not expecting Dicky, an EFL student, to know Latin,
    but at least he can stop pretending to be a know-it-all. And he still
    didn't know what "network effects" are, as his pathetic example
    proved.

    Let's face it--this forum is only good for flaming. Nobody from the
    Linux side can put up a decent argument. The facts speak for
    themselves (res ipsa loquitar): 1% market share speaks volumes. 'nuff
    said.

    RL

  12. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Mar 5, 2:58┬*pm, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Here:
    >>
    >> http://research.microsoft.com/resear...s/default.aspx
    >>
    >> Try reading. Embarrassed? No? Bloody hell, I would be.
    >>
    >> > only that, they always come up with the most pathetic crap as well in
    >> > response to new developments. Then they fight their way forward,
    >> > throwing around big bags of cash, and start claiming they were in the
    >> > forefront with their "awwr-and-deee" all the time. And those suckers
    >> > from Pace R&D

    >>
    >> You're a loony.
    >>
    >> *snip vitriol and dribble from Dicky Rasker*

    >
    > Good one Hadron. Dicky Rasker is so stoopiid that he thought "Pace"
    > was the formal name of the magazine, when in fact it simply means
    > "Except for".


    Strange then that it was *you* who intriduced the "Pace R&D Magazine" into
    the thread

    > I'm not expecting Dicky, an EFL student, to know Latin,
    > but at least he can stop pretending to be a know-it-all.


    Well, you certainly don't know latin at all.
    "Pace" does *not* mean "Except for"

    > And he still
    > didn't know what "network effects" are, as his pathetic example
    > proved.


    Even if he know nothing at all, it would still be more than you know

    > Let's face it--this forum is only good for flaming. Nobody from the
    > Linux side can put up a decent argument.


    At least they are not so consistently wrong like you are

    > The facts speak for
    > themselves (res ipsa loquitar): 1% market share speaks volumes. 'nuff
    > said.
    >


    Oh yes. The thing speaks (for) itself. You are clueless

    --
    Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore
    perseverare. [Cicero, Philippica 12, 2]


  13. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    Hadron wrote:

    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mar 5, 12:01┬*am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>>> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>>> > Who's the King of R&D?
    >>>
    >>>> Let's rephrase this last bit: "When it came to which technological
    >>>> company has the strongest influence on society, however, Microsoft
    >>>> (MSFT) won the top spot." This has nothing to do with R&D.
    >>>
    >>> Pace R&D Magazine, which knows R&D.

    >>
    >> Obviously they do not. They know big sponsors, though.

    >
    >
    > What does a documentation monkey know about R&D? Seriously. The rest of
    > your post indicates sweet f*ck all.
    >
    >>
    >>>> We all know that Microsoft is
    >>>> technologically incompetent, and usually very bad at predicting what
    >>>> people want -- and even if this dinosaur finally cottoned on to a
    >>>> trend, after the nimbler companies have proven a huge market potential
    >>>> for one new product or another, what they come up with is best
    >>>> described as eye-watering crap, either in a technological sense or as a
    >>>> product per se, or both (Zune, anyone? Or WHS? Or XBox?).
    >>>
    >>> And your point is? That MSFT is not an early adopter? Neither are
    >>> the Japanese, yet they are good in consumer electronics R&D.

    >>
    >> Microsoft always comes up last when it comes to new developments. And
    >> not

    >
    > The facts do not back you up. Your irrational hatred of them blinds you
    > to the facts.
    >
    > Here:
    >
    > http://research.microsoft.com/resear...s/default.aspx
    >
    > Try reading. Embarrassed? No? Bloody hell, I would be.


    This is very embarrassing indeed. Here we have a company with an
    astronomical bank account and a veritable army of employees, bragging about
    gazillions of R&D projects they appear to be working on, yet consistently
    failing to come up with even one decent, halfway popular product in many,
    many years. Even their product turns out to be a half-baked, bloated botch
    job after no less than five years of development and billions of dollars in
    cost. This is incompetence on a colossal scale.

    If this enumeration of their "R&D efforts" shows one thing, it's that
    Microsoft is all hat and no cattle. And Pace R&D Magazine fell for it.


    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  14. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    Peter K├Âhlmann wrote:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> On Mar 5, 2:58┬*pm, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here:
    >>>
    >>> http://research.microsoft.com/resear...s/default.aspx
    >>>
    >>> Try reading. Embarrassed? No? Bloody hell, I would be.
    >>>
    >>> > only that, they always come up with the most pathetic crap as well in
    >>> > response to new developments. Then they fight their way forward,
    >>> > throwing around big bags of cash, and start claiming they were in the
    >>> > forefront with their "awwr-and-deee" all the time. And those suckers
    >>> > from Pace R&D
    >>>
    >>> You're a loony.
    >>>
    >>> *snip vitriol and dribble from Dicky Rasker*

    >>
    >> Good one Hadron. Dicky Rasker is so stoopiid that he thought "Pace"
    >> was the formal name of the magazine, when in fact it simply means
    >> "Except for".


    "Pace" (Latin) means "Except for"?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA......etc
    The words 'Foot' & 'Mouth' come to mind.


    > Strange then that it was *you* who intriduced the "Pace R&D Magazine" into
    > the thread
    >
    >> I'm not expecting Dicky, an EFL student, to know Latin,
    >> but at least he can stop pretending to be a know-it-all.

    >
    > Well, you certainly don't know latin at all.
    > "Pace" does *not* mean "Except for"


    He called someone "stoopiid" & then posts that. Oh, the irony! LOL

    >> And he still
    >> didn't know what "network effects" are, as his pathetic example
    >> proved.

    >
    > Even if he know nothing at all, it would still be more than you know
    >
    >> Let's face it--this forum is only good for flaming. Nobody from the
    >> Linux side can put up a decent argument.

    >
    > At least they are not so consistently wrong like you are
    >
    >> The facts speak for
    >> themselves (res ipsa loquitar): 1% market share speaks volumes. 'nuff
    >> said.
    >>

    >
    > Oh yes. The thing speaks (for) itself. You are clueless
    >


    --
    Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.4
    Linux systems: PCLOS 2007,Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10.
    Testing: Mandrake One 2008.1 Beta2
    -- On 64bit systems --

  15. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    Hadron wrote:

    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Richard Rasker writes:
    >>>
    >>>> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Mar 5, 12:01┬*am, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>>>>> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>>>>> > Who's the King of R&D?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Let's rephrase this last bit: "When it came to which technological
    >>>>>> company has the strongest influence on society, however, Microsoft
    >>>>>> (MSFT) won the top spot." This has nothing to do with R&D.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Pace R&D Magazine, which knows R&D.
    >>>>
    >>>> Obviously they do not. They know big sponsors, though.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> What does a documentation monkey know about R&D? Seriously. The rest of
    >>> your post indicates sweet f*ck all.
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>> We all know that Microsoft is
    >>>>>> technologically incompetent, and usually very bad at predicting what
    >>>>>> people want -- and even if this dinosaur finally cottoned on to a
    >>>>>> trend, after the nimbler companies have proven a huge market
    >>>>>> potential for one new product or another, what they come up with is
    >>>>>> best described as eye-watering crap, either in a technological sense
    >>>>>> or as a product per se, or both (Zune, anyone? Or WHS? Or XBox?).
    >>>>>
    >>>>> And your point is? That MSFT is not an early adopter? Neither are
    >>>>> the Japanese, yet they are good in consumer electronics R&D.
    >>>>
    >>>> Microsoft always comes up last when it comes to new developments. And
    >>>> not
    >>>
    >>> The facts do not back you up. Your irrational hatred of them blinds you
    >>> to the facts.
    >>>
    >>> Here:talk
    >>>
    >>> http://research.microsoft.com/resear...s/default.aspx
    >>>
    >>> Try reading. Embarrassed? No? Bloody hell, I would be.

    >>
    >> This is very embarrassing indeed. Here we have a company with an
    >> astronomical bank account and a veritable army of employees, bragging
    >> about gazillions of R&D projects they appear to be working on, yet
    >> consistently failing to come up with even one decent, halfway popular
    >> product in many,

    >
    > Oh dear me. You really are loopy. Most of those R&D projects are about
    > long term investment in CS - nothing to do with individual "for sale"
    > projects.


    "Long term investment in CS" is pointless at the speed at which everything
    is developing. And even then, shouldn't Microsoft's R&D efforts from ten
    years ago have led to some tangible result by this time?

    > But do you stand corrected? You said they do no R&D and that page
    > clearly shows you to be lying.


    Nowhere I said that Microsoft didn't do R&D. I just said that their R&D
    doesn't seem to produce any worthwhile results at all, and most certainly
    hasn't had any impact on society in many, many years. The only thing that
    has sigificantly impacted society is their ill-begotten monopoly.
    Or can you mention even one innovative, popular Microsoft product from the
    past ten years? You can blab about "long term investment" all you want, but
    if billions of dollars in R&D of one of this huge company don't lead to
    even one successful new product in over a decade, they're obviously doing
    something wrong. But I strongly suspect that all those dozens of R&D
    projects are just the usual vapourware, designed to give the impression of
    innovation, without anything actually happening.

    And oh, I checked out several of these projects chosen at random, and my
    suspicions are largely confirmed: many projects have "last updated" dates
    from years ago, and nothing seems to be happening at the moment. It's not
    exactly the brewing pot of innovation Microsoft wants us to believe.

    > Your reading on the success of that R&D (which is invariably tainted and
    > biased since you're a COLA loon) is immaterial.


    *Which* success? I can't find any evidence or even vague indications of any
    of Microsoft's R&D projects leading to success.

    > And more than 90% of the computer market in the world and no sign of it
    > changing despite all your drivel.


    This is not the result of recent R&D, but of milking the old monopolistic
    cash cow.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  16. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Oh dear me. You really are loopy. Most of those R&D projects are about
    >> long term investment in CS - nothing to do with individual "for sale"
    >> projects.

    >
    > "Long term investment in CS" is pointless at the speed at which everything
    > is developing. And even then, shouldn't Microsoft's R&D efforts from ten
    > years ago have led to some tangible result by this time?
    >


    And things are developing at speed how?

    The research done by MS has contributed to oodles of advances. But don't
    let your refusal to believe the facts in any way taint your claims!


  17. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    Hadron wrote:

    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>> Oh dear me. You really are loopy. Most of those R&D projects are about
    >>> long term investment in CS - nothing to do with individual "for sale"
    >>> projects.

    >>
    >> "Long term investment in CS" is pointless at the speed at which
    >> everything is developing. And even then, shouldn't Microsoft's R&D
    >> efforts from ten years ago have led to some tangible result by this time?
    >>

    >
    > And things are developing at speed how?
    >
    > The research done by MS has contributed to oodles of advances.


    Certainly. Bob comes to mind, and Clippy

    > But don't
    > let your refusal to believe the facts in any way taint your claims!


    Well, maybe he can live without such "advances" as Bob or Clippy. Or the
    XP "search dog"

    --
    Hardware, n.:
    The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.


  18. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    Peter K÷hlmann wrote:

    >Hadron trolled:
    >>
    >> But don't
    >> let your refusal to believe the facts in any way taint your claims!

    >
    >Well, maybe he can live without such "advances" as Bob or Clippy. Or the
    >XP "search dog"


    Poor Hadron. So desperate to defend his beloved Micro$oft Corp...
    What a "true Linux advocate" he is.

    Of course, Richard is right. What good is bragging about R&D if it
    results in ****e like Visduh?


  19. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    "Peter K÷hlmann" stated in post
    fqoq5e$rtc$02$2@news.t-online.com on 3/6/08 6:04 AM:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker writes:
    >>
    >>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>> Oh dear me. You really are loopy. Most of those R&D projects are about
    >>>> long term investment in CS - nothing to do with individual "for sale"
    >>>> projects.
    >>>
    >>> "Long term investment in CS" is pointless at the speed at which
    >>> everything is developing. And even then, shouldn't Microsoft's R&D
    >>> efforts from ten years ago have led to some tangible result by this time?
    >>>

    >>
    >> And things are developing at speed how?
    >>
    >> The research done by MS has contributed to oodles of advances.

    >
    > Certainly. Bob comes to mind, and Clippy
    >
    >> But don't
    >> let your refusal to believe the facts in any way taint your claims!

    >
    > Well, maybe he can live without such "advances" as Bob or Clippy. Or the
    > XP "search dog"


    Hey, those are "choices". How can they be bad? LOL!


    --
    When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
    When God changes your mind, that's faith.
    When facts change your mind, that's science.


  20. Re: MSFT wins "Who's the King of R&D?" (no mention of Linux)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Wed, 5 Mar 2008 22:09:37 -0500
    :
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >>>> We all know that Microsoft is
    >>>> technologically incompetent,

    >
    > Yet given a choice, 94 of 100 users will choose MS, 5 will choose Mac, and 1
    > (if that) will choose Linux.
    >


    Actually, 99 out of 100 would choose windows. The 5 Macs
    are because the PCs are out of stock; the 1 Linux guy is
    me. ;-)

    Clearly, Dell needs to get its act together and start
    selling PCs at a lower cost, in order to blow Apple out
    of the water.

    >
    >
    >>>> and usually very bad at predicting what
    >>>> people want --

    >
    > People want Gnome and Ubuntu, dammit! You can tell by the gigantic sales of
    > Dell Ubuntu systems.


    People want Vista, you mean.

    [rest snipped]

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast