In Canada

The theory ...
http://www.songwriters.ca/studio/proposal.php

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/
"The Songwriters Association of Canada proposal to fully legalize
peer-to-peer file sharing by adding a $5 levy to the monthly Internet
bill ... many Canadians arguing that they don't download music and
should not be asked to pay $60 per year in order to do so... While we
all pay for services we don't use (my tax dollars support museums in
other cities that I don't visit or schools that my kids don't attend),
there are times when such systems are necessary for broader policy
reasons...universally affordable broadband access is one"

The facts...
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2728/196/

"Random House and other leading book publishers have announced that they
are dropping DRM for their audiobook sales. Random House experimented
with DRM-free audiobooks in the fall on eMusic and could not find a
single instance where a DRM-free book later appeared on a P2P system."