Bain, Huawei to Resubmit $2.2B Bid For 3Com: Report

,----[ Quote ]
| Within the next several weeks, Bain Capital and China's Huawei plan to
| reapply for U.S. approval for a planned buyout of 3Com, The Wall Street
| Journal reported on Friday.
|
| The $2.2 billion transaction would still leave Huawei with 16.5 percent of
| the company and Bain holding the rest, said the Journal citing people
| familiar with the matter.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/breaking...le.php/3731296

Related:

3Com Acquisition Under Investigation

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. Department of Defense uses 3Com intrusion detection products, and
| Chinese hackers have targeted the agency, McCotter said. "Given this and
| other instances of communist China's persistent cyber warfare against us,
| approving this sale would be an abject abdication of CIFUS' duty to protect
| America's vital defense technologies from enemy acquisition," he said. * *
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...stigation.html

3Com's CEO sees company as a US-Asia trendsetter

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: Has your Linux strategy helped against competitors?
|
| ER [Edgar Masri]: We have an open strategy, which is open source based on
| Linux. Many networking companies are starting to do that, but I believe we *
| have an 18-month head start. We recognize customers want open architecture
| and source, mainly in small and medium businesses. We also have the Open
| Services Networking architecture. One very large customer wanted better
| network monitoring and had made a clear choice about the application it
| wanted to use, and said we were doing it better than other providers. * * *
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1001666527

3Com Brings Enterprise-Caliber IP Telephony to SMBs

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of 3Com's commitment to providing the platform and support for
| clients to implement best-of-breed Open Source solutions, the company also is
| launching the 3Com Asterisk Appliance, an Open Source voice-over-IP (VoIP)
| system based on Digium's Asterisk Appliance. *
`----

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-3com-...01/2980799.htm

3Com ‘reenters’ RP, bets on open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Orcun Tezel, technical director of 3Com South Asia, explained that although
| 3Com routers and switches now come with pre-integrated open-source
| applications, its Open Services Networking (OSN) further
| allows "best-ofbreed" applications to run on the Linux-based platform. *
`----

http://www.mb.com.ph/INFO20070904101906.html

3Com chooses an open strategy

,----[ Quot ]
| The OSN infrastructure runs on Linux.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/commun...2030960,00.htm

3Com, IBM extend VOIP/messaging interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
| The VCX/Sametime interoperability also extends to 3Com and IBM
| software running on stand-alone servers. (3Com ships VCX systems
| on a Linux-based appliance, and IBM's Sametime runs on a variety
| of operating systems and server hardware).
`----

3Com: Turnaround Depends on IBM Deal

,----[ Quote ]
| And that open source voice over IP system, called Asterisk, has reached
| its tipping point. But instead of ignoring such threats, 3Com appears
| ready to embrace them. In fact, I hear that 3Com plans to address
| the Asterisk market within the next few months.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...3_id.html?.v=1

3Com Evaluating Askerisk Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| The manager politely danced around the question, then indicated that
| 3Com planned to address Asterisk without necessarily competing with
| the open source system. Sounds like 3Com is piecing together a
| strategy to embrace Asterisk. Could there be a partnership or
| acquisition around the corner?
|
| [...]
|
| Supporting Asterisk would propel 3Com?s open platform strategy
| forward.
`----

http://techiqmag.com/2007/02/26/3com...risk-strategy/

3Com touts open source

,----[ Quote ]
| 3Com's OSN module is a Linux-based server blade that fits into
| the company's 6000 series routers. It is designed to run
| applications that benefit from being close to the network
| layer, the company says.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...rss-linux-news

3Com introduces first 'open services' product

,----[ Quote ]
| Launched at the end of last year, OSN is basically an effort to bring
| some server capabilities into network appliances by using a
| Linux-based server blade, as well as to allow users to plug
| open-source modules into the appliance.
|
| [...]
|
| Interestingly, there is a twist in 3Com's adoption of open source:
| Its founder, Metcalfe, was once known to be anti-open source.
| Fortunately, Metcalfe has since become a convert in line with the OSN.
`----

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detail...611.Q01&irec=0

Networks finally learning to work together

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/commun...2017006,00.htm