Re: [News] Another Look at Innovative Capabilities of Linux-powered OLPC, Eee PC - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Another Look at Innovative Capabilities of Linux-powered OLPC, Eee PC - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz espoused: > Coming to a watering hole near you: OLPC's mesh networking > > ,----[ Quote ] >| James Cameron works for a computer company in support for enterprise Linux >| customers, and is deeply immersed in electronics, ...

  1. Re: [News] Another Look at Innovative Capabilities of Linux-powered OLPC, Eee PC

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Coming to a watering hole near you: OLPC's mesh networking
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| James Cameron works for a computer company in support for enterprise Linux
    >| customers, and is deeply immersed in electronics, radio and software
    >| engineering. For the past two years Cameron has devoted his diverse technical
    >| talents to testing the wireless network component of the One Laptop Per Child
    >| project.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...7;fp;16;fpid;1
    >
    > Hands-on with the 9-inch Eee PC
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| If you hadn't guessed from the headline, and as rumored just an hour ago,
    >| there's 9-inches of LCD on this thing. Actually, 8.9, but who's counting?
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| No word yet on US pricing, but we're trying to pry it out of them.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/h...9-inch-eee-pc/

    Umm, E399 is awfully inexpensive for a laptop of such specification...
    2008 is going to be a very interesting year in the linux laptop world.

  2. Re: [News] Another Look at Innovative Capabilities of Linux-powered OLPC, Eee PC

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 March 2008 09:38 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Coming to a watering hole near you: OLPC's mesh networking
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| James Cameron works for a computer company in support for enterprise Linux
    >>| customers, and is deeply immersed in electronics, radio and software
    >>| engineering. For the past two years Cameron has devoted his diverse
    >>| technical talents to testing the wireless network component of the One
    >>| Laptop Per Child project.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...7;fp;16;fpid;1
    >>
    >> Hands-on with the 9-inch Eee PC
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| If you hadn't guessed from the headline, and as rumored just an hour ago,
    >>| there's 9-inches of LCD on this thing. Actually, 8.9, but who's counting?
    >>|
    >>| [...]
    >>|
    >>| No word yet on US pricing, but we're trying to pry it out of them.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/h...9-inch-eee-pc/

    > Umm, E399 is awfully inexpensive for a laptop of such specification...
    > 2008 is going to be a very interesting year in the linux laptop world.

    Big companies like H-P and Acer are working on low-cost ones. That might be the
    first time large companies (with all due respect to Asustek) enter this market
    and realise that the overpriced laptop/desktop is a dying market that deserves
    maybe 50% of the market, not much more. It will hit them in the pocket, but
    it's good for the customers.

    "Race to the bottom..." (Without Vista)

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Stand for nothing and you will fall for anything"

  3. Re: [News] Another Look at Innovative Capabilities of Linux-powered OLPC, Eee PC

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 March 2008 09:38 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Coming to a watering hole near you: OLPC's mesh networking
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...7;fp;16;fpid;1
    >>>
    >>> Hands-on with the 9-inch Eee PC
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/h...9-inch-eee-pc/

    >> Umm, E399 is awfully inexpensive for a laptop of such specification...
    >> 2008 is going to be a very interesting year in the linux laptop world.

    > Big companies like H-P and Acer are working on low-cost ones. That might be the
    > first time large companies (with all due respect to Asustek) enter this market
    > and realise that the overpriced laptop/desktop is a dying market that deserves
    > maybe 50% of the market, not much more. It will hit them in the pocket, but
    > it's good for the customers.
    >
    > "Race to the bottom..." (Without Vista)

    Asus seem to be appearing in numbers at the moment. I've two Asus mini
    machines here now, one doing mythtv and the other one as my desktop.
    Frankly, I've more confidence in these than I have in some of the
    "major" manufacturers producing something good. Asus have a lot of
    reasons to be very linux-compatible, HP, Acer and others are probably
    still being pulled from pillar to post.

  4. Re: [News] Another Look at Innovative Capabilities of Linux-powered OLPC, Eee PC

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 March 2008 13:44 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 March 2008 09:38 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> Umm, E399 is awfully inexpensive for a laptop of such specification...
    >>> 2008 is going to be a very interesting year in the linux laptop world.

    >> Big companies like H-P and Acer are working on low-cost ones. That might be
    >> the first time large companies (with all due respect to Asustek) enter this
    >> market and realise that the overpriced laptop/desktop is a dying market that
    >> deserves maybe 50% of the market, not much more. It will hit them in the
    >> pocket, but it's good for the customers.
    >>
    >> "Race to the bottom..." (Without Vista)
    >>

    > Asus seem to be appearing in numbers at the moment. I've two Asus mini
    > machines here now, one doing mythtv and the other one as my desktop.
    > Frankly, I've more confidence in these than I have in some of the
    > "major" manufacturers producing something good. Asus have a lot of
    > reasons to be very linux-compatible, HP, Acer and others are probably
    > still being pulled from pillar to post.

    Early talks about the Eee with Windows XP show that the cost would /DOUBLE/.
    And that's after Microsoft discount. Oh, dear.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you

  5. Re: [News] Another Look at Innovative Capabilities of Linux-powered OLPC, Eee PC

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Early talks about the Eee with Windows XP show that the cost would
    > /DOUBLE/.

    Do they now? And where's your link for this silly claim?

  6. Re: [News] Another Look at Innovative Capabilities of Linux-powered OLPC, Eee PC

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 March 2008 13:44 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 March 2008 09:38 : \____

    >>> Big companies like H-P and Acer are working on low-cost ones. That might be
    >>> the first time large companies (with all due respect to Asustek) enter this
    >>> market and realise that the overpriced laptop/desktop is a dying market that
    >>> deserves maybe 50% of the market, not much more. It will hit them in the
    >>> pocket, but it's good for the customers.
    >>>
    >>> "Race to the bottom..." (Without Vista)
    >>>

    >> Asus seem to be appearing in numbers at the moment. I've two Asus mini
    >> machines here now, one doing mythtv and the other one as my desktop.
    >> Frankly, I've more confidence in these than I have in some of the
    >> "major" manufacturers producing something good. Asus have a lot of
    >> reasons to be very linux-compatible, HP, Acer and others are probably
    >> still being pulled from pillar to post.

    > Early talks about the Eee with Windows XP show that the cost would /DOUBLE/.
    > And that's after Microsoft discount. Oh, dear.

    But don't forget you'd also need to licence Microsoft Office and some
    kind of Anti-Virus ware which would cost £loads more and the anti-virus
    would slow the machine down something rotten.

  7. Re: [News] Another Look at Innovative Capabilities of Linux-powered OLPC, Eee PC

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 March 2008 16:40 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 04 March 2008 13:44 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> Asus seem to be appearing in numbers at the moment. I've two Asus mini
    >>> machines here now, one doing mythtv and the other one as my desktop.
    >>> Frankly, I've more confidence in these than I have in some of the
    >>> "major" manufacturers producing something good. Asus have a lot of
    >>> reasons to be very linux-compatible, HP, Acer and others are probably
    >>> still being pulled from pillar to post.

    >> Early talks about the Eee with Windows XP show that the cost would /DOUBLE/.
    >> And that's after Microsoft discount. Oh, dear.
    >>

    > But don't forget you'd also need to licence Microsoft Office and some
    > kind of Anti-Virus ware which would cost £loads more and the anti-virus
    > would slow the machine down something rotten.

    Oh, yeah... I didn't even think about it. But the reviewer from ZDNet (he saw
    this in CEBIT) actually complained about the weight and size. It's like a...
    laptop... just heavy and expensive. No Linux, no favourable scale and price.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Steve Ballmer is even monkier than his moniker suggests
    run-level 2 2008-01-24 14:06 last=