[News] The Google and Linux Affair in Desktop PCs - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] The Google and Linux Affair in Desktop PCs - Linux ; Googly Eyed ,----[ Quote ] | After an excruciatingly long time, it looks like Linux is finally taking | hold. But maybe we should rename it the Google Operating System because, | clearly, the big Daddy Warbucks of search is ...

  1. [News] The Google and Linux Affair in Desktop PCs

    Googly Eyed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After an excruciatingly long time, it looks like Linux is finally taking
    | hold. But maybe we should rename it the Google Operating System because,
    | clearly, the big Daddy Warbucks of search is the wind beneath the wings of
    | Linux these days.
    |
    | Google’s new Android initiative has a toehold on cell phones, and the company
    | has long promoted open source on the web, where your browser is basically
    | your OS. Now that’s the rallying point for Linux developers on the desktop,
    | as per new machines like the Asus (asus.com) Eee PC 4G mini laptop, Everex
    | (everex.com) gPC TC2502 and Zonbu (zonbu.com) PCs. The search giant didn’t
    | build them, but you’d never know it from booting one up.
    `----

    http://www.entrepreneur.com/magazine...ch/190156.html

    Days ago:

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *

    | to go with that. Perhaps Google on that layer, although frankly speaking,
    | most of what we have there is upside. We're small and they're big. (With)
    | most things, we're big and the other guy is small, so we have more to lose
    | than gain. In this case, we have more to gain than to lose with Google. * *
    `----

    Related:

    FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
    | hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
    | deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
    | Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
    | computers pass their shelf life.
    `----

    Can Google and Linux Topple Microsoft?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The story had a certain flair. In early March, the chief information
    | officer of the Federal Aviation Administration, David Bowen, was
    | reportedly considering forsaking Microsoft Windows and Office in
    | favor of the Linux operating system and the Web-based Google Apps
    | Premium office suite.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] The Google and Linux Affair in Desktop PCs

    > FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
    >| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
    >| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
    >| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
    >| computers pass their shelf life.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=197800480

    March 2007. Any followup available? I'd be surprised if "the FAA"
    would ultimately feel comfortable using Google Apps.

    --
    I laid out memory so the bottom 640K was general purpose RAM and the upper
    384 I reserved for video and ROM, and things like that. That is why they

  3. Re: [News] The Google and Linux Affair in Desktop PCs

    ____/ Linonut on Tuesday 04 March 2008 14:51 : \____

    >> FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux
    >> Combo
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
    >>| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
    >>| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
    >>| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
    >>| computers pass their shelf life.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=197800480

    > March 2007. Any followup available? I'd be surprised if "the FAA"
    > would ultimately feel comfortable using Google Apps.

    They had some problems (probably Windows or something) later on:

    Major Flight Delays Caused By Glitch, Dense Fog

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | AMR Corp.'s American Airlines spokesman Tim Wagner acknowledged the
    | computer troubles and said the nation's largest carrier experienced
    | about 50 cancellations on the East Coast, with LaGuardia departures
    | being hit the hardest.
    `----

    http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_159145243.html

    If they moved to Linux, assuming it's not from Red Hat EL or Novell, you
    probably wouldn't even hear about it. Nobody knew just how much Fedora was
    using, until recently when someone took many photos there.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you

  4. Re: [News] The Google and Linux Affair in Desktop PCs

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ Linonut on Tuesday 04 March 2008 14:51 : \____
    >
    >> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And
    >>> Linux Combo
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=197800480

    >> March 2007. Any followup available? I'd be surprised if "the FAA"
    >> would ultimately feel comfortable using Google Apps.

    Anybody that can sit there with a straight face and say Google Apps/Docs are
    as good as MS Office belongs in cola "advocating" Linux.

    > They had some problems (probably Windows or something) later on:

    Yeah. Probably.

    > Major Flight Delays Caused By Glitch, Dense Fog
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> AMR Corp.'s American Airlines spokesman Tim Wagner acknowledged the
    >> computer troubles and said the nation's largest carrier experienced
    >> about 50 cancellations on the East Coast, with LaGuardia departures
    >> being hit the hardest.

    > `----
    >
    > http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_159145243.html

    Done (no page). Is that because it's another year-old story you're
    recycling because you're fresh out of lies for the day?

    > If they moved to Linux, assuming it's not from Red Hat EL or Novell,
    > you probably wouldn't even hear about it. Nobody knew just how much
    > Fedora was using, until recently when someone took many photos there.

    And we still don't know how much Fedora "was using".

+ Reply to Thread