[News] The Beauty of KDE SuperKaramba Combined with Plasma - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] The Beauty of KDE SuperKaramba Combined with Plasma - Linux ; SuperKaramba and Plasma Packages ,----[ Quote ] | With the great intro provided about Plasma Packages to get Apple's Dashboard | Widgets running, it follows a screenshot that shows SuperKaramba - yes, it | works with legacy *.skz files. `---- ...

  1. [News] The Beauty of KDE SuperKaramba Combined with Plasma

    SuperKaramba and Plasma Packages

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With the great intro provided about Plasma Packages to get Apple's Dashboard
    | Widgets running, it follows a screenshot that shows SuperKaramba - yes, it
    | works with legacy *.skz files.
    `----

    http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3305

    Wow.

    Quote for the day:

    "Don’t encourage new, cross-platform Java classes, especially don’t help get
    great Win 32 implementations written/deployed. [...] Do encourage
    fragmentation of the Java classlib space."

    --Ben Slivka, Microsoft

    Yesterday:

    Plasma Packages

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here's another of the topics I was going to show in the screencast: Packages.
    | The test case was getting Apple's Dashboard Widgets to work out of the box.
    `----

    http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/03/plasma-packages.html

    KDE Commit Digest - Issue 99 - 24th February 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ivan Čukić presents a new tool, Puck, the Plasma UI Compiler:
    | This time I'm not talking about Lancelot per se, although you get screenshots
    | of it, but rather of a tool that is being created to ease it's development
    | and development of other Plasma-based applications.
    |
    | The name of the tool is "Puck" (Danny's idea) which could stand for Plasma UI
    | Compiler K. Puck is a tool for converting XML-based UI definition into C++
    | Plasma code.
    `----

    http://commit-digest.org/issues/2008-02-24/

  2. Re: [News] The Beauty of KDE SuperKaramba Combined with Plasma

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > SuperKaramba and Plasma Packages
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | With the great intro provided about Plasma Packages to get Apple's
    > Dashboard
    > | Widgets running, it follows a screenshot that shows SuperKaramba - yes,
    > it
    > | works with legacy *.skz files.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3305
    >
    > Wow.

    Wow - Is that FUGLY. If it's "beauty" that's supposed to lure new users
    over then seeing this thing will have them running for Vista or a Mac.

    Exactly what part of that screenshot is supposed to be impressive anyway?

  3. Re: [News] The Beauty of KDE SuperKaramba Combined with Plasma

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Troy Kirkland

    wrote
    on Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:23:56 -0500
    <47cc36af$0$25999$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> SuperKaramba and Plasma Packages
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | With the great intro provided about Plasma Packages to get Apple's
    >> Dashboard
    >> | Widgets running, it follows a screenshot that shows SuperKaramba - yes,
    >> it
    >> | works with legacy *.skz files.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3305
    >>
    >> Wow.

    > Wow - Is that FUGLY. If it's "beauty" that's supposed to lure new users
    > over then seeing this thing will have them running for Vista or a Mac.
    >
    > Exactly what part of that screenshot is supposed to be impressive anyway?

    None. Everyone should just use Microsoft Windows Vista and shut up. :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because Windows' Blue Screen Of Death is just
    way too frightening to novice users.

  4. Re: [News] The Beauty of KDE SuperKaramba Combined with Plasma

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Troy Kirkland
    >
    > wrote
    > on Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:23:56 -0500
    > <47cc36af$0$25999$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    >>
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>> SuperKaramba and Plasma Packages
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> Dashboard
    >>> yes,
    >>> it
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3305
    >>>
    >>> Wow.

    >> Wow - Is that FUGLY. If it's "beauty" that's supposed to lure new users
    >> over then seeing this thing will have them running for Vista or a Mac.
    >>
    >> Exactly what part of that screenshot is supposed to be impressive anyway?
    >>

    > None. Everyone should just use Microsoft Windows Vista and shut up. :-P

    So can you explain the part of the screenshot that's so very beautiful and
    should get a "Wow" response from people? It looks lame, very lame to me.

  5. Re: [News] The Beauty of KDE SuperKaramba Combined with Plasma

    "Troy Kirkland" wrote in message
    news:47cc4e41$0$26085$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    > So can you explain the part of the screenshot that's so very beautiful and
    > should get a "Wow" response from people? It looks lame, very lame to me.

    It will get a "Wow!" response from some of the Linux fans. No one else will
    see it. The "Wow!" factor in their minds is created whenever something that
    is not Windows is seen, since it doesn't remind them of their failure in the
    marketplace and so bum them out.

  6. Re: [News] The Beauty of KDE SuperKaramba Combined with Plasma

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Troy Kirkland

    wrote
    on Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:04:28 -0500
    <47cc4e41$0$26085$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in message
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Troy Kirkland
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:23:56 -0500
    >> <47cc36af$0$25999$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    >>>
    >>> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >>> Wow - Is that FUGLY. If it's "beauty" that's supposed to lure new users
    >>> over then seeing this thing will have them running for Vista or a Mac.
    >>>
    >>> Exactly what part of that screenshot is supposed to be impressive anyway?
    >>>

    >> None. Everyone should just use Microsoft Windows Vista and shut up. :-P

    > So can you explain the part of the screenshot that's
    > so very beautiful and should get a "Wow" response
    > from people? It looks lame, very lame to me.

    It is lame. Rounded corners should be shot on sight,
    there's so much wasted space one can drive a truck through
    the widget/display edges, way too many colors and fonts
    used, and of course the icons are all far too big.

    The ideal display would be along the lines of a Motif or
    Athena XAW widget affair, with the modification that the
    XAW toggle buttons (which are visually indistinguishable
    from XAW Command [button] widgets) would be replaced with
    something that looks more like Motif, except without the
    pseudo-3D highlighting (one gets either an open or a filled
    diamond), and the scrollbars would behave like modern ones.

    That way, not only does one get a display system that
    works on far cheaper monochrome units, one can also print
    it out without shading/dithering tricks.

    Of course, since Microsoft Windows Vista didn't go that
    route, we might as well use it, even though it does have
    rounded corners, many colors, and a lot of fonts.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #2239120:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = p; strcpy(p,q); }

  7. Re: [News] The Beauty of KDE SuperKaramba Combined with Plasma

    "amicus_curious" writes:

    > "Troy Kirkland" wrote in message
    > news:47cc4e41$0$26085$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >>

    >> So can you explain the part of the screenshot that's so very
    >> beautiful and should get a "Wow" response from people? It looks
    >> lame, very lame to me.
    >>

    > It will get a "Wow!" response from some of the Linux fans. No one else
    > will see it. The "Wow!" factor in their minds is created whenever
    > something that is not Windows is seen, since it doesn't remind them of
    > their failure in the marketplace and so bum them out.

    I must admit that I fail to see whats so wow. Its yet another disjoint
    effort from what I can gather.

    First question asked?

    ,----
    | I guess this has been asked before, but what's the reason you keep
    | developing superkaramba as separate API instead of porting good widgets
    | over to plasma dataengines/visualisations?
    `----

    People trying to be big dogs in small compounds I am afraid.

  8. Re: [News] The Beauty of KDE SuperKaramba Combined with Plasma

    On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:23:56 -0500, Troy Kirkland wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> SuperKaramba and Plasma Packages
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| With the great intro provided about Plasma Packages to get Apple's
    >> Dashboard
    >>| Widgets running, it follows a screenshot that shows SuperKaramba - yes,
    >> it
    >>| works with legacy *.skz files.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3305
    >>
    >> Wow.

    > Wow - Is that FUGLY. If it's "beauty" that's supposed to lure new users
    > over then seeing this thing will have them running for Vista or a Mac.
    >
    > Exactly what part of that screenshot is supposed to be impressive anyway?

    That is ugly looking.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: [News] The Beauty of KDE SuperKaramba Combined with Plasma

+ Reply to Thread