Linux game engine - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux game engine - Linux ; Are there any companies developing great linux game engines?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

  1. Linux game engine

    Are there any companies developing great linux game engines?

  2. Re: Linux game engine

    "allen.darrin@gmail.com" writes:

    > Are there any companies developing great linux game engines?

    What sort of Engine?

    According to Rexx they all do.

    But they don't.

    Very few are writing cross platform engines using OpenGL anymore. ID are
    one of the last.

    As far as OSS goes there are plenty of "behind the curve" ones if you
    wish to study them.

    Google for "open source game engines"

  3. Re: Linux game engine

    schreef in bericht
    > Are there any companies developing great linux game engines?

    Yes, Google for Babala for Linux, pong3D for Linux, AIT Trains, Circus
    Linux, simple Mahjongg, Linux doom, Xsokoban, TuxMath Scrabble, Xpipeman,
    Xdemineur a.s.o.
    Paranoid Cola regulars like Tattoo Vampire especially like "Xbill": "Squish
    the evil Bills before they infect your computers with the Windows virus."
    http://linux-7110.sourceforge.net/ho...tBookXbill.png
    --
    PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Linux game engine

    On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 06:30:14 -0800 (PST), allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:

    > Are there any companies developing great linux game engines?

    When it comes to games, Linux is like an Etch a Sketch and Windows is like
    a Rembrandt.

    Until a company can figure out how to sget Linux users to pay for games,
    especially games they probably already own Windows versions of, gaming and
    Linux is mostly dead. There are exceptions, but they are few compared to
    what is offered fto Windows users.

    See Loki for details.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Linux game engine

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 11:09:39 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 06:30:14 -0800 (PST), allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any companies developing great linux game engines?

    > When it comes to games, Linux is like an Etch a Sketch and Windows is
    > like a Rembrandt.
    >
    > Until a company can figure out how to sget Linux users to pay for games,
    > especially games they probably already own Windows versions of, gaming
    > and Linux is mostly dead. There are exceptions, but they are few
    > compared to what is offered fto Windows users.
    >
    > See Loki for details.

    Unfortunately classic chicken/egg situation.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: Linux game engine

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 16:32:58 -0000, Rick wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 11:09:39 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 06:30:14 -0800 (PST), allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are there any companies developing great linux game engines?

    >> When it comes to games, Linux is like an Etch a Sketch and Windows is
    >> like a Rembrandt.
    >>
    >> Until a company can figure out how to sget Linux users to pay for games,
    >> especially games they probably already own Windows versions of, gaming
    >> and Linux is mostly dead. There are exceptions, but they are few
    >> compared to what is offered fto Windows users.
    >>
    >> See Loki for details.

    > Unfortunately classic chicken/egg situation.

    True.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Linux game engine

  8. Re: Linux game engine

    In article
    <43c4ca64-46e3-4767-b458-32b025b083b3@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    "allen.darrin@gmail.com" wrote:

    > Are there any companies developing great linux game engines?

    Here are some:

    Unreal from Epic
    Torque from GarageGames
    Various engines from Id

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: Linux game engine

    In article ,
    Hadron wrote:
    > Very few are writing cross platform engines using OpenGL anymore. ID are
    > one of the last.

    I don't think that's correct. Have you forgotten consoles? I believe
    that all the major current consoles (including portables) except XBox360
    use OpenGL, and most of the cross platform engines include console
    support. (And many include Mac support, which is also OpenGL).

    --
    --Tim Smith

  10. Re: Linux game engine

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article ,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Very few are writing cross platform engines using OpenGL anymore. ID are
    >> one of the last.

    > I don't think that's correct. Have you forgotten consoles? I believe
    > that all the major current consoles (including portables) except XBox360
    > use OpenGL, and most of the cross platform engines include console
    > support. (And many include Mac support, which is also OpenGL).

    I had hoped so. But the point is about engines which will work on Linux.

  11. Re: Linux game engine

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article
    > <43c4ca64-46e3-4767-b458-32b025b083b3@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    > "allen.darrin@gmail.com" wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any companies developing great linux game engines?

    > Here are some:
    >
    > Unreal from Epic
    > Torque from GarageGames
    > Various engines from Id

    I've kicked the tires on the Torque engine and its one of the better
    cross-platform (though closed source) game engines out there, IMHO. I
    particularly like their physics modeling.

    Currently the real movement in Linux gaming is happening in the
    handheld and mobile arena (where Linux continues to kick Windows
    to the sidelines). I've seen some hints at larger PC game
    companies adding Linux support in the future, but I suspect
    we need a few more quarters of solid desktop growth before we
    see any serious commitment.

    I've been away from COLA for a while, buried in work, property
    renovations, and political activism. What did I miss?

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  12. Re: Linux game engine

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com writes:

    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <43c4ca64-46e3-4767-b458-32b025b083b3@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    >> "allen.darrin@gmail.com" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are there any companies developing great linux game engines?

    >> Here are some:
    >>
    >> Unreal from Epic
    >> Torque from GarageGames
    >> Various engines from Id

    > I've kicked the tires on the Torque engine and its one of the better
    > cross-platform (though closed source) game engines out there, IMHO. I
    > particularly like their physics modeling.
    >
    > Currently the real movement in Linux gaming is happening in the
    > handheld and mobile arena (where Linux continues to kick Windows
    > to the sidelines). I've seen some hints at larger PC game
    > companies adding Linux support in the future, but I suspect
    > we need a few more quarters of solid desktop growth before we
    > see any serious commitment.
    >
    > I've been away from COLA for a while, buried in work, property
    > renovations, and political activism. What did I miss?
    >
    > Thad

    Roy said MS were evil and Liarnut agreed with him.

  13. Re: Linux game engine

    * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> Here are some:
    >>
    >> Unreal from Epic
    >> Torque from GarageGames
    >> Various engines from Id

    > I've been away from COLA for a while, buried in work, property
    > renovations, and political activism. What did I miss?

    Mostly a crap-flood of denouncements of Roy from Tim and Erik.
    I have the rest of 'em plonked pretty thoroughly, so I don't see
    much of their drivel.

    --
    I really had a lot of dreams when I was a kid, and I think a great deal of
    that grew out of the fact that I had a chance to read a lot.

  14. Re: Linux game engine

    Linonut writes:

    > * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Tim Smith wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Here are some:
    >>>
    >>> Unreal from Epic
    >>> Torque from GarageGames
    >>> Various engines from Id

    >> I've been away from COLA for a while, buried in work, property
    >> renovations, and political activism. What did I miss?

    > Mostly a crap-flood of denouncements of Roy from Tim and Erik.
    > I have the rest of 'em plonked pretty thoroughly, so I don't see
    > much of their drivel.

    So why are you answering? Your filtering means you miss any corrections
    to Roys garbage. Which makes you as bad, if not worse, than Roy himself.

  15. Re: Linux game engine

    Hadron wrote:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> I've been away from COLA for a while, buried in work, property
    >>> renovations, and political activism. What did I miss?

    >> Mostly a crap-flood of denouncements of Roy from Tim and Erik.
    >> I have the rest of 'em plonked pretty thoroughly, so I don't see
    >> much of their drivel.

    > So why are you answering? Your filtering means you miss any corrections
    > to Roys garbage. Which makes you as bad, if not worse, than Roy himself.

    *What* ???

    Whenever one thinks Hadron Quark could impossibly come up with an even
    dumber "theory", he chimes in on the spot with something even more lunatic
    than the previous
    --
    There are two kinds of people in this world: the kind that divides
    everybody into two kinds of people, and everybody else

  16. Re: Linux game engine

    * Peter KŲhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>> * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Mostly a crap-flood of denouncements of Roy from Tim and Erik.
    >>> I have the rest of 'em plonked pretty thoroughly, so I don't see
    >>> much of their drivel.

    >> So why are you answering? Your filtering means you miss any corrections
    >> to Roys garbage. Which makes you as bad, if not worse, than Roy himself.

    > *What* ???
    >
    > Whenever one thinks Hadron Quark could impossibly come up with an even
    > dumber "theory", he chimes in on the spot with something even more lunatic
    > than the previous

    What is that? I hear squeaking! Is that Hadron rat around here?
    Where's my arsenic pellets?

    --
    You see, antiquated ideas of kindness and generosity are simply bugs that
    must be programmed out of our world. And these cold, unfeeling machines will

  17. Re: Linux game engine

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>
    >>> * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Mostly a crap-flood of denouncements of Roy from Tim and Erik.
    >>> I have the rest of 'em plonked pretty thoroughly, so I don't see
    >>> much of their drivel.

    >> So why are you answering? Your filtering means you miss any corrections
    >> to Roys garbage. Which makes you as bad, if not worse, than Roy himself.

    > *What* ???

    Liarnut can not comment on what he missed because Liarnut misses most of
    it since he took draconian measures with his new slrn filter knowledge.

    It really is very simple for even you to understand.

    > Whenever one thinks Hadron Quark could impossibly come up with an even
    > dumber "theory", he chimes in on the spot with something even more lunatic
    > than the previous

    I suggest you learn what is meant before commenting. That way you will
    not appear such a fool. Try listening to Radio 4 LW for a while. That
    should help.

  18. Re: Linux game engine

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    > I've been away from COLA for a while, buried in work, property
    > renovations, and political activism. What did I miss?

    The Vole unleashed a couple of its pet Monkeys into the group to try to
    silence us, presumably in reaction to it's recent deluge of brutal
    humiliations (staff exodus, HD-DVD, EU fines, the BRM for OOXML, etc.).
    That didn't work out too well for them, I'm afraid.

    Erik now believes that system administrators exist purely for the
    purpose of fighting Malware.

    Hadron thinks it's hilarious that a fellow hardcore gamer lost the
    prized artwork (created by gaming luminaries and friends) on his Xbox
    360 case, after being assured by the Vole's contracted technicians that
    it would be preserved during a repair.

    DooFuS must have choked on his crayon and died, or something, because I
    haven't even seen a reply to him in days. Either that, or his shilling
    contract expired.

    Attacks on Roy are up 42.14% this week, which means he's pushing all the
    right buttons.

    Tattoo Vampire upgraded his company from Windows to Linux, then got
    married. I'm not sure what the correlation was between those two events,
    other than a happy coincidence.

    My laptop died, and I posted about the excruciating "factory restore"
    process, that felt like it had been designed by a room full of lawyers,
    rather than software engineers.

    Flatty's been "outed" ... again. Expect some ridiculously concocted new
    nym to appear any time now. Apparently he's 37 years old, drives a
    Mustang, and has a daughter attending law school. Presumably her
    daughter's legal aptitude is what secured his release from the mental
    asylum.

    Mark and I are going to start a business exporting the 99 quid Elonex
    One laptops to America, since apparently Elonex don't want to.

    Smith occasionally makes squeaking noises. We try to ignore him, but
    eventually I suppose we might need to deploy the WD40 and duct tape.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    02:11:27 up 73 days, 23:47, 5 users, load average: 0.31, 0.14, 0.09

  19. Re: Linux game engine

    Hadron wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> So why are you answering? Your filtering means you miss any corrections
    >>> to Roys garbage. Which makes you as bad, if not worse, than Roy himself.

    >> *What* ???

    > Liarnut can not comment on what he missed because Liarnut misses most of
    > it since he took draconian measures with his new slrn filter knowledge.
    >
    > It really is very simple for even you to understand.

    And it makes him "as bad, if not worse" if he decides that he will not read
    certain posts?
    Poor Hadron Josip Stalin Quark

    >> Whenever one thinks Hadron Quark could impossibly come up with an even
    >> dumber "theory", he chimes in on the spot with something even more
    >> lunatic than the previous

    > I suggest you learn what is meant before commenting. That way you will
    > not appear such a fool. Try listening to Radio 4 LW for a while. That
    > should help.

    Well, I am not the one with a severe misunderstanding what "censorship" is.
    That would be you
    After all, according to you "not reading every newspaper available
    worldwide" is "censoring" them. Just as deciding not to read every garbage
    posted in newsgroups, but excluding some offenders posts by scoring

    All that is "censorship" the Hadron Quark way.
    --
    Yield to Temptation ... it may not pass your way again.
    -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"

  20. Re: Linux game engine

    On Monday 03 March 2008 11:59 pm, Linonut wrote in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

    > * Peter Köhlmann peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> So why are you answering? Your filtering means you miss any corrections
    >>> to Roys garbage. Which makes you as bad, if not worse, than Roy himself.

    >> *What* ???
    >>
    >> Whenever one thinks Hadron Quark could impossibly come up with an even
    >> dumber "theory", he chimes in on the spot with something even more lunatic
    >> than the previous

    > What is that? I hear squeaking!

    I thought I heard a fart..

    > Is that Hadron rat around here?