Mobilize the gang. PC World savages Linux PCs. - Linux

This is a discussion on Mobilize the gang. PC World savages Linux PCs. - Linux ; ,---- | On Sears.com and Wal-Mart.com -- two sites that sell cheap Linux-based | PCs -- potential buyers post questions like, "Which version of Windows | does this have?" and "Can I run Windows applications on this?" While | either ...

  1. Mobilize the gang. PC World savages Linux PCs.

    ,----
    `----

    ,----

    `----

    --
    Murphy was an optimist.

  2. Re: Mobilize the gang. PC World savages Linux PCs.

    "Hadron" wrote in message

    > ,----
    > | On Sears.com and Wal-Mart.com -- two sites that sell cheap Linux-based
    > | PCs -- potential buyers post questions like, "Which version of Windows
    > | does this have?" and "Can I run Windows applications on this?" While
    > | either the Mirus SITLC420 or the Everex gPC TC2502 might be an option
    > | for technically savvy people who want to dabble in Linux, these machines
    > | are very poor choices for the folks the two stores usually cater to.
    > `----
    >

    > ,----
    > | That's because, despite the rock-bottom prices, neither PC qualifies as
    > | a bargain. They use lowest-of-the-low-end components--you're essentially
    > | paying fair prices for inferior products.
    > |

    > | But more important, while the gPC has a slightly easier-to-use version
    > | of Linux than the Mirus does, I found both Linuxes to be extremely
    > | cumbersome (and I've experimented with Linux distributions before). If
    > | you aren't a die-hard Linux fan, these PCs aren't for you.
    > |

    > http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news
    > `----

    Great article for LINUX World to be running. Even they don't deny the
    obvious.

    --- "True, a huge Linux community online is waiting to help even beginners,
    but if all you know is Windows-like clicking and dragging, all the
    assistance in the world won't make slogging through command-line entries
    seem easy. If your budget's tight, I'd recommend waiting for a deal on a PC
    that costs a bit more--and that runs Windows.

    Friendly for a Linux PC, but still rough around the edges, with crude
    hardware."

  3. Re: Mobilize the gang. PC World savages Linux PCs.

    Hadron wrote:

    > ,----
    > | On Sears.com and Wal-Mart.com -- two sites that sell cheap Linux-based
    > | PCs -- potential buyers post questions like, "Which version of Windows
    > | does this have?" and "Can I run Windows applications on this?" While
    > | either the Mirus SITLC420 or the Everex gPC TC2502 might be an option
    > | for technically savvy people who want to dabble in Linux, these machines
    > | are very poor choices for the folks the two stores usually cater to.
    > `----
    >

    > ,----
    > | That's because, despite the rock-bottom prices, neither PC qualifies as
    > | a bargain. They use lowest-of-the-low-end components--you're essentially
    > | paying fair prices for inferior products.
    > |

    > | But more important, while the gPC has a slightly easier-to-use version
    > | of Linux than the Mirus does, I found both Linuxes to be extremely
    > | cumbersome (and I've experimented with Linux distributions before). If
    > | you aren't a die-hard Linux fan, these PCs aren't for you.

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news
    > `----

    After reading that review I wouldn't buy them either. It smells a lot like
    cashing in by both Sears and Walmart. If they were to sell a decent spec
    system with a decent distro like Ubuntu or Mandriva installed they would be
    worth the price. As it is they need to go back to the bargain bin and try
    again.

+ Reply to Thread