New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations - Linux

This is a discussion on New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations - Linux ; http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/...?page=fullpage Well, acoording to our resident astroturfers and win-shills Tim Smith and Hadron Quark, PS3s are neither linux machines, nor are they used in computerclusters. They are just gaming consoles Wrong on all counts, obviously -- Failure is not an ...

  1. New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/...?page=fullpage

    Well, acoording to our resident astroturfers and win-shills Tim Smith and
    Hadron Quark, PS3s are neither linux machines, nor are they used in
    computerclusters. They are just gaming consoles

    Wrong on all counts, obviously

  2. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    "Peter Köhlmann" wrote in message
    > http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/...?page=fullpage
    >
    > Well, acoording to our resident astroturfers and win-shills Tim Smith and
    > Hadron Quark, PS3s are neither linux machines,

    The PS3 is just as much a "linux machine" as the XBox360 is a "linux
    machine" -

    http://www.free60.org/wiki/Main_Page
    (Oh look... I suppose the XBox360 is also a "linux machine".)

    In it's native shipping form neither the PS3 or the XBox360 runs linux.

    Idiot.

  3. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    Tony Drudge wrote:

    > "Peter Köhlmann" wrote in message

    http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/...?page=fullpage

    >> Well, acoording to our resident astroturfers and win-shills Tim Smith and
    >> Hadron Quark, PS3s are neither linux machines,

    > The PS3 is just as much a "linux machine" as the XBox360 is a "linux
    > machine" -
    >
    > http://www.free60.org/wiki/Main_Page
    > (Oh look... I suppose the XBox360 is also a "linux machine".)

    Oh looky looky, the OE running loser has to introduce a totally
    irrelevent "argument".
    Pray tell, how incredibly stupid do you have to be to bring up the
    XBox-garbage when PS3 is mentioned?
    Did you read anything about those MS landfill-machines in the article?

    > In it's native shipping form neither the PS3 or the XBox360 runs linux.

    The PS3 can run linux without modifications.

    > Idiot.

    Yes, you certainly are. Given your idiotic criteria, there would not be
    *any* PC-linux box as well

    But then, you are just the cretinous teranews nymshifter. A Oxygen thief
    --
    Just out of curiosity does this actually mean something or have some
    of the few remaining bits of your brain just evaporated?

  4. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/...?page=fullpage

    > Well, acoording to our resident astroturfers and win-shills Tim Smith and
    > Hadron Quark, PS3s are neither linux machines, nor are they used in
    > computerclusters. They are just gaming consoles
    >
    > Wrong on all counts, obviously

    All they need do is look at the results at:
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...nge-246664.php

    Or this:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...?qtype=osstats

    Current Active Total
    OS Type TFLOPS* CPUs CPUs
    Windows 179 187920 1941669
    Mac OS X/PowerPC 8 9435 112622
    Mac OS X/Intel 18 5944 40676
    Linux 42 24997 275216
    GPU 29 484 5193
    PLAYSTATION®3 918 31337 444803

    Not too shabby for Linux on the PS3...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  5. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/...?page=fullpage
    >
    > Well, acoording to our resident astroturfers and win-shills Tim Smith and
    > Hadron Quark, PS3s are neither linux machines, nor are they used in
    > computerclusters. They are just gaming consoles
    >
    > Wrong on all counts, obviously

    Huh? Are you stupid? We have bother acknowledged that Linux can be
    installed on a PS3. As in this case. What we have said is that each PS3
    sale is not a Linux Machine. Get it yet fool?

  6. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    Hadron wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann writes:

    http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/...?page=fullpage

    >> Well, acoording to our resident astroturfers and win-shills Tim Smith and
    >> Hadron Quark, PS3s are neither linux machines, nor are they used in
    >> computerclusters. They are just gaming consoles
    >>
    >> Wrong on all counts, obviously

    > Huh? Are you stupid? We have bother acknowledged that Linux can be
    > installed on a PS3. As in this case. What we have said is that each PS3
    > sale is not a Linux Machine. Get it yet fool?

    Like the "linux is perfect" argument which was not claimed either by anyone,
    except by you dishonest swine and DumbFull****?
    Or a lot of other strawmen erected by you astroturfers and win-shills?
    --
    Windows: Because everyone needs a good laugh!

  7. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    * Jerry McBride peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Or this:
    > http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...?qtype=osstats
    >
    > Current Active Total
    > OS Type TFLOPS* CPUs CPUs
    > Windows 179 187920 1941669
    > Mac OS X/PowerPC 8 9435 112622
    > Mac OS X/Intel 18 5944 40676
    > Linux 42 24997 275216
    > GPU 29 484 5193
    > PLAYSTATION®3 918 31337 444803

    Or, normalized, some surprising results:

    OS Type Current Active Total TFLOPs per Active CPU
    TFLOPS CPUs CPUs
    Windows 179 187920 1941669 0.0010
    Mac OS X/PowerPC 8 9435 112622 0.0008
    Mac OS X/Intel 18 5944 40676 0.0030
    Linux 42 24997 275216 0.0017
    GPU 29 484 5193 0.0599
    PLAYSTATION®3 918 31337 444803 0.0293

    However:

    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-PS3

    We stress that one should not divide "current TFLOPS" by "active
    clients" to estimate the performance of that hardware running without
    interruption. Note that if donors suspend the FAH client (e.g. to
    play a game, watch a movie, etc) they enlarge the time between
    getting the WU and delivering the result. This in turn reduces the
    FLOPS value, as more time was needed to deliver the result.

    --
    Gary Kildall was one of the original pioneers of the PC revolution. He was a
    very creative computer scientist who did excellent work. Although we were

  8. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >>

    > http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/...?page=fullpage
    >>>
    >>> Well, acoording to our resident astroturfers and win-shills Tim Smith and
    >>> Hadron Quark, PS3s are neither linux machines, nor are they used in
    >>> computerclusters. They are just gaming consoles
    >>>
    >>> Wrong on all counts, obviously

    >> Huh? Are you stupid? We have bother acknowledged that Linux can be
    >> installed on a PS3. As in this case. What we have said is that each PS3
    >> sale is not a Linux Machine. Get it yet fool?

    > Like the "linux is perfect" argument which was not claimed either by anyone,
    > except by you dishonest swine and DumbFull****?
    > Or a lot of other strawmen erected by you astroturfers and win-shills?

    I have no idea what you are talking about.

    The PS3 as shipped is not a "Linux machine".

    End Of Story.

    What is your problem? I'm still dithering about getting a PS3 and I
    *will* install Linux on it.

  9. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    Linonut writes:

    > * Jerry McBride peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Or this:
    >> http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...?qtype=osstats
    >>
    >> Current Active Total
    >> OS Type TFLOPS* CPUs CPUs
    >> Windows 179 187920 1941669
    >> Mac OS X/PowerPC 8 9435 112622
    >> Mac OS X/Intel 18 5944 40676
    >> Linux 42 24997 275216
    >> GPU 29 484 5193
    >> PLAYSTATION®3 918 31337 444803

    > Or, normalized, some surprising results:
    >

    > OS Type Current Active Total TFLOPs per Active CPU
    > TFLOPS CPUs CPUs
    > Windows 179 187920 1941669 0.0010
    > Mac OS X/PowerPC 8 9435 112622 0.0008
    > Mac OS X/Intel 18 5944 40676 0.0030
    > Linux 42 24997 275216 0.0017

    Linux on a Intel platform? Half the performance of Mac OS? I think these
    numbers are baloney.

    > GPU 29 484 5193 0.0599
    > PLAYSTATION®3 918 31337 444803 0.0293

  10. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    Hadron wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Peter Köhlmann writes:

    http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/...?page=fullpage

    >>> Huh? Are you stupid? We have bother acknowledged that Linux can be
    >>> installed on a PS3. As in this case. What we have said is that each PS3
    >>> sale is not a Linux Machine. Get it yet fool?

    >> Like the "linux is perfect" argument which was not claimed either by
    >> anyone, except by you dishonest swine and DumbFull****?
    >> Or a lot of other strawmen erected by you astroturfers and win-shills?

    > I have no idea what you are talking about.

    Because you are both stupid and dishonest

    > The PS3 as shipped is not a "Linux machine".

    It is shipped as a machine able to run linux. The linux version for it has
    even support by Sony.
    Given your cretinous criteria, no PC is a linux machine either

    > End Of Story.

    Since when do you have been declared group "Blockwart" to be able to finish
    off something?

    > What is your problem? I'm still dithering about getting a PS3 and I
    > *will* install Linux on it.

    Which is of no interest to anyone and has nothing to do with the thread.

    --
    Windows: Because everyone needs a good laugh!

  11. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    Hadron wrote:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> * Jerry McBride peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Or this:
    >>> http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...?qtype=osstats
    >>>
    >>> Current Active Total
    >>> OS Type TFLOPS* CPUs CPUs
    >>> Windows 179 187920 1941669
    >>> Mac OS X/PowerPC 8 9435 112622
    >>> Mac OS X/Intel 18 5944 40676
    >>> Linux 42 24997 275216
    >>> GPU 29 484 5193
    >>> PLAYSTATION®3 918 31337 444803

    >> Or, normalized, some surprising results:
    >>

    >> OS Type Current Active Total TFLOPs per Active CPU
    >> TFLOPS CPUs CPUs
    >> Windows 179 187920 1941669 0.0010
    >> Mac OS X/PowerPC 8 9435 112622 0.0008
    >> Mac OS X/Intel 18 5944 40676 0.0030
    >> Linux 42 24997 275216 0.0017

    > Linux on a Intel platform? Half the performance of Mac OS? I think these
    > numbers are baloney.

    No, they are not. You simply have no idea what those numbers mean.
    Given your incredibly bad reading comprehension, that is no surprise
    --
    Windows isn't unstable. It's spontaneous.

  12. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/...?page=fullpage

    >>> Like the "linux is perfect" argument which was not claimed either by
    >>> anyone, except by you dishonest swine and DumbFull****?
    >>> Or a lot of other strawmen erected by you astroturfers and win-shills?

    >> I have no idea what you are talking about.

    > Because you are both stupid and dishonest
    >
    >> The PS3 as shipped is not a "Linux machine".

    > It is shipped as a machine able to run linux. The linux version for it has
    > even support by Sony.

    > Given your cretinous criteria, no PC is a linux machine either

    And by your ridiculous criteria, every PC ever shipped *IS* a linux machine
    because someone might install and run linux on it.

  13. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/...?page=fullpage

    >>> Like the "linux is perfect" argument which was not claimed either by
    >>> anyone, except by you dishonest swine and DumbFull****?
    >>> Or a lot of other strawmen erected by you astroturfers and win-shills?

    >> I have no idea what you are talking about.

    > Because you are both stupid and dishonest
    >
    >> The PS3 as shipped is not a "Linux machine".

    > It is shipped as a machine able to run linux. The linux version for it has
    > even support by Sony.

    Correct. So?

    > Given your cretinous criteria, no PC is a linux machine either

    Huh? Correct. When it doesn#t have Linux installed on it, it isn't.

    Maybe you mean "Linux capable"? Sorry. I forget you're not a native
    English speaker.

    >> End Of Story.

    > Since when do you have been declared group "Blockwart" to be able to finish
    > off something?

    You can continue the fairy tales, I will finish the true story.

    >> What is your problem? I'm still dithering about getting a PS3 and I
    >> *will* install Linux on it.

    > Which is of no interest to anyone and has nothing to do with the
    > thread.

    Other than the fact that when I buy it its NOT a Linux machine you
    dimwit.

  14. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    Peter Köhlmann writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>
    >>> * Jerry McBride peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Or, normalized, some surprising results:
    >>>

    >>> OS Type Current Active Total TFLOPs per Active CPU
    >>> TFLOPS CPUs CPUs
    >>> Windows 179 187920 1941669 0.0010
    >>> Mac OS X/PowerPC 8 9435 112622 0.0008
    >>> Mac OS X/Intel 18 5944 40676 0.0030
    >>> Linux 42 24997 275216 0.0017

    >> Linux on a Intel platform? Half the performance of Mac OS? I think these
    >> numbers are baloney.

    > No, they are not. You simply have no idea what those numbers mean.
    > Given your incredibly bad reading comprehension, that is no surprise

    You're right, I stupidly just read the "total" on the right
    column. Silly me.

    But still the table as it stands makes no real sense. You could read it
    a 100 ways.

    e.g

    Mac OS/Intel : 18 TFlops on 5944 active CPUs == average 330 cpus for 1 tf
    Linux/Intel : 42 tflops with 24997 active cpus == 594 cpus for 1 tf

    (I refuse to follow the link - I learnt from you)

    But feel free to explain.

  15. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:51:19 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >
    >> http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/...?page=fullpage
    >>
    >> Well, acoording to our resident astroturfers and win-shills Tim Smith and
    >> Hadron Quark, PS3s are neither linux machines, nor are they used in
    >> computerclusters. They are just gaming consoles
    >>
    >> Wrong on all counts, obviously

    > Huh? Are you stupid? We have bother acknowledged that Linux can be
    > installed on a PS3. As in this case. What we have said is that each PS3
    > sale is not a Linux Machine. Get it yet fool?

    As usual, Kohlmann is all over the place making statements that are not
    true and adding on to them when questioned.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  16. Re: New supercomputer is a rack of PlayStations

    Micoshaft Fraudster and asstroturfer Hadron wrote on behalf of micoshaft
    corporation:

    > Peter Köhlmann writes:
    >
    >> http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles

    new-supercomputer-is-a-rack-of-playstations/2008/02/26/1203788327976.html?page=fullpage

    >> Well, acoording to our resident astroturfers and win-shills Tim Smith and
    >> Hadron Quark, PS3s are neither linux machines, nor are they used in
    >> computerclusters. They are just gaming consoles
    >>
    >> Wrong on all counts, obviously

    > Huh? Are you stupid? We have bother acknowledged that Linux can be
    > installed on a PS3.

    Yeah but you haven't acknowledged that you are too stupid to know
    enough about 'games' consoles.

+ Reply to Thread