Ubuntu linux still has major sound and audio problems - Linux

This is a discussion on Ubuntu linux still has major sound and audio problems - Linux ; [quote] I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 but no sound. My sound card is Sound Blaster PCI 128 Vibra (Model CT4730). [-quote] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=706334 RELATED: [quote] "Alsa suddently just stopped working" I've got a problem with alsa that only happened a few ...

  1. Ubuntu linux still has major sound and audio problems

    [quote]
    I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 but no sound.

    My sound card is Sound Blaster PCI 128 Vibra (Model CT4730).

    [-quote]

    RELATED:

    [quote]
    "Alsa suddently just stopped working"

    I've got a problem with alsa that only happened a few days ago. Before then,
    alsa worked fine, and then just suddenly now it doesn't work any more. I'm
    using an hp dv6000 with hda-intel sound, and I tried following the gutsy
    guide for it including compiling the latest alsa drivers but still nothing.

    Any alsa output with movies or music players fails and outputs no sound.
    [-quote]

  2. Re: Ubuntu linux still has major sound and audio problems

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:10:42 -0500, Troy Kirkland wrote:

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...help/1e87a3e8-
    c0e8-49af-980f-9eb6686f42d21033.mspx

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  3. Re: Ubuntu linux still has major sound and audio problems

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:10:42 -0500, Troy Kirkland wrote:

    > [quote]
    > I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 but no sound.
    >
    > My sound card is Sound Blaster PCI 128 Vibra (Model CT4730).
    >
    > [-quote]

    > RELATED:
    >
    > [quote]
    > "Alsa suddently just stopped working"
    >
    > I've got a problem with alsa that only happened a few days ago. Before
    > then, alsa worked fine, and then just suddenly now it doesn't work any
    > more. I'm using an hp dv6000 with hda-intel sound, and I tried following
    > the gutsy guide for it including compiling the latest alsa drivers but
    > still nothing.
    >
    > Any alsa output with movies or music players fails and outputs no sound.
    > [-quote]

    Hey, toll dweeb, why don't you go post in Ubuntu forums... oh, that's
    right, you don;t want help, you just want to piss people off.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: Ubuntu linux still has major sound and audio problems

    Troy Kirkland wrote:

    > PCI 128 Vibra (Model CT4730).

    Did you see this?

    http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/...d.php?t=114955

    You are probably using the wrong driver or perhaps an older version. In the
    mentioned thread, user WSMOUSR2004 get's it to work by using the ens1371
    driver...

    Looking deeper, in the sound driver source code, in the file
    linux/sound/pci/ens1370.c I found the following...

    #ifdef CHIP1371
    MODULE_DESCRIPTION("Ensoniq/Creative AudioPCI ES1371+");
    MODULE_SUPPORTED_DEVICE("{{Ensoniq,AudioPCI ES1371/73},"
    "{Ensoniq,AudioPCI ES1373},"
    "{Creative Labs,Ectiva EV1938},"
    "{Creative Labs,SB PCI64/128 (ES1371/73)},"
    "{Creative Labs,Vibra PCI128},"
    "{Ectiva,EV1938}}");
    #endif

    In the Ubuntu forum you (at least I thin is was you) mention:

    My sound card is Sound Blaster PCI 128 Vibra (Model CT4730).

    The following are the OS configuration related to the sound card:

    Quote:
    ~$ lspci
    00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs Ectiva EV1938

    I would use the alsa drivers in the kernel as they are the most recent.
    Provided you have a current version kernel, enable the required alsa and
    oss modules... compile and install.

    The rest is up to you.

    Also, in:

    They seem to have farggled the sound driver with new updates... Hey...
    backdate them and see if sound comes back... Cutting edge stuff cuts pretty
    deep....

    Also, beaware that the default volume for alsa is MUTE. Use the alsamixer
    tool in a console to see exactly what is turned on and what is turned off.

    You are a windows weeney... but I like helping people none the less.

    HTH

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  5. Re: Ubuntu linux still has major sound and audio problems

    On 2008-02-28, Troy Kirkland wrote:

    > [quote]
    > I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 but no sound.
    >
    > My sound card is Sound Blaster PCI 128 Vibra (Model CT4730).

    Oddly enough, I don't think I've ever used a PCI sound
    card on a PC in all of my years of using them. I guess I
    went straight from ISA to embedded audio.

    [deletia]

    Never had any problems either...

    --
    How did irc manage to get so pretentious about civility |||
    of discourse when it doesn't even allow for the free and / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread