(Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation" against it's workers - Linux

This is a discussion on (Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation" against it's workers - Linux ; IBM cuts pay for workers put on hourly rates http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ers-put-hourly IBM IS CUTTING the wages of 7,600 technical support staff and has admitted many won't make up the difference in overtime. The move is being marked as "retaliation" by the ...

  1. (Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation" against it's workers

    IBM cuts pay for workers put on hourly rates
    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ers-put-hourly

    IBM IS CUTTING the wages of 7,600 technical support staff and has admitted
    many won't make up the difference in overtime.
    The move is being marked as "retaliation" by the firm after workers won a
    legal dispute and it was forced to hand over $65 million in unpaid overtime
    in 2006.

  2. Re: (Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation" against it's workers

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:31:33 -0500, Tony Drudge wrote:

    > IBM cuts pay for workers put on hourly rates
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ers-put-hourly
    >
    > IBM IS CUTTING the wages of 7,600 technical support staff and has admitted
    > many won't make up the difference in overtime.
    > The move is being marked as "retaliation" by the firm after workers won a
    > legal dispute and it was forced to hand over $65 million in unpaid overtime
    > in 2006.

    I wonder how this is effecting Rex?
    I hope he is not one of the people targeted.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: (Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation" against it's workers

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:31:33 -0500, Tony Drudge wrote:

    > IBM cuts pay for workers put on hourly rates
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ers-put-hourly
    >
    > IBM IS CUTTING the wages of 7,600 technical support staff and has admitted
    > many won't make up the difference in overtime.
    > The move is being marked as "retaliation" by the firm after workers won a
    > legal dispute and it was forced to hand over $65 million in unpaid overtime
    > in 2006.

    As soon as IBM can figure out how to get a screwdriver to reach from
    Bangalore to the USA or EU, IBM will be totally out of the US market as far
    as providing local jobs.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: (Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation" against it's workers

    Tony Drudge wrote:

    > IBM cuts pay for workers put on hourly rates

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ers-put-hourly

    > IBM IS CUTTING the wages of 7,600 technical support staff and has
    > admitted
    > many won't make up the difference in overtime.
    > The move is being marked as "retaliation" by the firm after workers won a
    > legal dispute and it was forced to hand over $65 million in unpaid
    > overtime in 2006.

    What happend is a bunch of salaried employees were unhappy because their
    overtime wasn't being paid for. Just like a whole host of us that are paid
    buy a fixed salary rather than on a hourly basis... So they sued and IBM
    lost the case surprisingly. Now, those workers are reclassified as being
    paid by the hour, at a slightly lower rate than before... Their overtime
    makes up the difference. Hope they like the paid overetime. From all
    indications, it'll be pretty much a wash for most of them... nothing
    gained, nothing lost...

    And... Hmmm... IBM employs nearly 500,000 people. This help-desk support
    staff is just a drop in the bucket. Hmmm... $65,000,000 divided by 7,600
    people equals something like $8,600.00 before legal fees. I hope it was
    worth the effort. I'm surprised they still have jobs.

    Nice of IBM to keep them on... unlike the B.S. going on at msft....

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  5. Re: (Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation" against it's workers

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:50:38 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > Tony Drudge wrote:
    >
    >> IBM cuts pay for workers put on hourly rates
    >>

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ers-put-hourly
    >>
    >> IBM IS CUTTING the wages of 7,600 technical support staff and has
    >> admitted
    >> many won't make up the difference in overtime.
    >> The move is being marked as "retaliation" by the firm after workers won a
    >> legal dispute and it was forced to hand over $65 million in unpaid
    >> overtime in 2006.
    >>

    > What happend is a bunch of salaried employees were unhappy because their
    > overtime wasn't being paid for. Just like a whole host of us that are paid
    > buy a fixed salary rather than on a hourly basis... So they sued and IBM
    > lost the case surprisingly. Now, those workers are reclassified as being
    > paid by the hour, at a slightly lower rate than before... Their overtime
    > makes up the difference. Hope they like the paid overetime. From all
    > indications, it'll be pretty much a wash for most of them... nothing
    > gained, nothing lost...
    >
    > And... Hmmm... IBM employs nearly 500,000 people. This help-desk support
    > staff is just a drop in the bucket. Hmmm... $65,000,000 divided by 7,600
    > people equals something like $8,600.00 before legal fees. I hope it was
    > worth the effort. I'm surprised they still have jobs.
    >
    > Nice of IBM to keep them on... unlike the B.S. going on at msft....

    Overtime laws are very specifc WRT the state you live in and what you are
    actually doing.

    Many of these people work with equipment which is what overtime laws were
    meant for. IOW to protect people from getting injured from working too many
    hours.

    IBM pulled a very nasty trick and it just goes to show what a scumbag
    company it is.

    I admire the people for at least trying to get what they deserved.

    That's the difference between me and you Jerry McBride.

    You will back the Linux company to the hilt no matter what.
    I look at the facts and prefer to listen to the little guy.

    FWIW you can read all about what a *great* company, IBM is here:

    Just remember to take off your rose colored glasses.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: (Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation" againstit's workers

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:33:46 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:31:33 -0500, Tony Drudge wrote:
    >
    >> IBM cuts pay for workers put on hourly rates
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir.../ibm-cuts-pay-

    workers-put-hourly

    >> IBM IS CUTTING the wages of 7,600 technical support staff and has
    >> admitted
    >> many won't make up the difference in overtime. The move is being marked
    >> as "retaliation" by the firm after workers won a legal dispute and it
    >> was forced to hand over $65 million in unpaid overtime in 2006.

    > I wonder how this is effecting Rex?
    > I hope he is not one of the people targeted.

    So, you see "Tony Drudge"'s grossly misleading headline, and you don't
    take him to task, you go after Roy.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: (Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation" against it's workers

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:33:46 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:31:33 -0500, Tony Drudge wrote:
    >>
    >>> IBM cuts pay for workers put on hourly rates
    >>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir.../ibm-cuts-pay-

    > workers-put-hourly
    >>>
    >>> IBM IS CUTTING the wages of 7,600 technical support staff and has
    >>> admitted
    >>> many won't make up the difference in overtime. The move is being marked
    >>> as "retaliation" by the firm after workers won a legal dispute and it
    >>> was forced to hand over $65 million in unpaid overtime in 2006.

    >> I wonder how this is effecting Rex?
    >> I hope he is not one of the people targeted.

    > So, you see "Tony Drudge"'s grossly misleading headline, and you don't
    > take him to task, you go after Roy.

    Exactly what part is grossly misleading fool?

    Is IBM not heralded here as being a "linux backer"?
    Is IBM not cutting employee pay?
    Is this not "retaliation" as the article explicitly says?

    Are you too stupid to read and comprehend?

  8. Re: (Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation" againstit's workers

    Tony Drudge wrote:
    > "Rick" wrote in message

    >> workers-put-hourly
    >>> I wonder how this is effecting Rex?
    >>> I hope he is not one of the people targeted.

    >> So, you see "Tony Drudge"'s grossly misleading headline, and you don't
    >> take him to task, you go after Roy.

    > Exactly what part is grossly misleading fool?

    The title, fool.

    > Is IBM not heralded here as being a "linux backer"?

    IBM is an IBM backer. Yes, it does contribute to OSS. Yes it does use
    and promote OSS and Linux for some things, but ti does the same for
    various flavors of Windows.

    > Is IBM not cutting employee pay?

    IBM restructured its pay system to an hourly one from salary(if I have
    understood the situation correctly).

    > Is this not "retaliation" as the article explicitly says?

    The employees are now getting an hourly wage for their "overtime" hours.
    The emplyess wanted to be paid for those hours. There is now a system in
    place to pay for those specific hours.

    > Are you too stupid to read and comprehend?

    I am not stupid at all. You are ver dishonest. You tried to somehow
    smear the Linux community with your headline.

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: (Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation" against it's workers

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:53:13 -0000, Rick wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:33:46 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:31:33 -0500, Tony Drudge wrote:
    >>
    >>> IBM cuts pay for workers put on hourly rates
    >>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir.../ibm-cuts-pay-

    > workers-put-hourly
    >>>
    >>> IBM IS CUTTING the wages of 7,600 technical support staff and has
    >>> admitted
    >>> many won't make up the difference in overtime. The move is being marked
    >>> as "retaliation" by the firm after workers won a legal dispute and it
    >>> was forced to hand over $65 million in unpaid overtime in 2006.

    >> I wonder how this is effecting Rex?
    >> I hope he is not one of the people targeted.

    > So, you see "Tony Drudge"'s grossly misleading headline, and you don't
    > take him to task, you go after Roy.

    His headline is accurate.

    IBM re-classified the employees after they lost the suit.
    It's obviously retaliation.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: (Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation" against it's workers

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > Tony Drudge wrote:
    >> "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> workers-put-hourly
    >>> So, you see "Tony Drudge"'s grossly misleading headline, and you don't
    >>> take him to task, you go after Roy.

    >> Exactly what part is grossly misleading fool?

    > The title, fool.
    >

    >> Is IBM not heralded here as being a "linux backer"?

    > IBM is an IBM backer. Yes, it does contribute to OSS. Yes it does use and
    > promote OSS and Linux for some things, but ti does the same for various
    > flavors of Windows.
    >
    >> Is IBM not cutting employee pay?

    > IBM restructured its pay system to an hourly one from salary(if I have
    > understood the situation correctly).
    >
    >> Is this not "retaliation" as the article explicitly says?

    > The employees are now getting an hourly wage for their "overtime" hours.
    > The emplyess wanted to be paid for those hours. There is now a system in
    > place to pay for those specific hours.

    Perhaps you should take this up with all of the articles that call this move
    "RETALIATION". Apparently Tony isn't the one who made up this term... this
    is EXACTLY what the article says. There are literally THOUSANDS of websites
    that have this or similar stories on this incident where they refer to this
    as IBM's "RETALIATION" against their workers.

    But like Schestowitz... you have secret "inside information" and know
    better. Everyone else is just a tool... you, Schestowitz and the Illuminati
    are the only ones who know what's going on.

    >> Are you too stupid to read and comprehend?
    >>

    > I am not stupid at all. You are ver dishonest. You tried to somehow smear
    > the Linux community with your headline.

    The nuts here in COLA do an admirable job of smearing themselves.

  11. Re: (Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation" againstit's workers

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:53:13 -0000, Rick wrote:

    >> workers-put-hourly
    >>> I wonder how this is effecting Rex?
    >>> I hope he is not one of the people targeted.

    >> So, you see "Tony Drudge"'s grossly misleading headline, and you don't
    >> take him to task, you go after Roy.

    > His headline is accurate.
    >
    > IBM re-classified the employees after they lost the suit.
    > It's obviously retaliation.

    The Linux community had nothing to do with any problem between IBM and
    its workes. The implication was, at the least, dishonest.

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: (Linux backer) IBM cuts employees pay as "retaliation"against it's workers

    "Rick" stated in post 13sgvp8ce0beb4c@news.supernews.com
    on 2/29/08 2:54 PM:

    > Whenever people try to tell me what I think, they invariably get it
    > wrong.

    As do you when you try to tell me what I think - such as when you lie and
    claim I have said the OS X UI is as fractured as that found on PCLOS.

    --
    If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law.
    Roy Santoro, Psycho Proverb Zone (http://snipurl.com/BurdenOfProof)

+ Reply to Thread