{News] IBM chooses embedded Windows OS for new point of sale systems, rejects Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on {News] IBM chooses embedded Windows OS for new point of sale systems, rejects Linux - Linux ; Kier writes: > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:22:30 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote: > >> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:19:25 -0000, El Tux wrote: >> >> >>> I used to have a girlfriend who was blind. >> >> Sounds ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: {News] IBM chooses embedded Windows OS for new point of sale systems, rejects Linux

    Kier writes:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:22:30 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:19:25 -0000, El Tux wrote:
    >>

    >>> I used to have a girlfriend who was blind.

    >> Sounds like the perfect girl for a Linux dweeb.
    >>
    >> What happened?
    >> One of her friends who could see described you to her and she ran away?

    > You know what, flatty, you're a really disgusting specimen of
    > humanity.

    So you'll be going back to chastise Peter Kohlmann and Tattoo "hung like
    a horse" Vampire for their earlier comments I suppose?

  2. Re: {News] IBM chooses embedded Windows OS for new point of salesystems, rejects Linux

    amicus_curious wrote:
    > http://www.ddj.com/blog/embeddedblog...oft_ibm_t.html
    >
    > "Microsoft also announced strong growth of Windows Embedded in the
    > retail market. According to a recent report published by IHL Group, the
    > total number of Windows Embedded Point of Service users in North
    > American grew by 250 percent in 2007. In a second study with RIS News,
    > IHL also found that 63 percent of retailers were seriously considering a
    > Windows Embedded operating system for their next POS purchase."
    >
    > Looks like Linux is just a bridesmaid once again. Alas!

    Why do you care?

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: {News] IBM chooses embedded Windows OS for new point of salesystems, rejects Linux

    Abdul Bonnatari wrote:
    > "amicus_curious" wrote in message
    > news:47c5c8b2$0$2893$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.c om...
    >> http://www.ddj.com/blog/embeddedblog...oft_ibm_t.html
    >>
    >> "Microsoft also announced strong growth of Windows Embedded in the retail
    >> market. According to a recent report published by IHL Group, the total
    >> number of Windows Embedded Point of Service users in North American grew
    >> by 250 percent in 2007. In a second study with RIS News, IHL also found
    >> that 63 percent of retailers were seriously considering a Windows Embedded
    >> operating system for their next POS purchase."
    >>
    >> Looks like Linux is just a bridesmaid once again. Alas!

    > But isn't IBM this big linux champion?

    In certain arenas, yes. In others, no.

    > But isn't IBM doing all good things linux?

    What?

    > But isn't IBM familiar with Linux and anti-MS?

    Yes, and no... IBM is pro-IBM.

    > But isn't Linux better than Windows and doesn't IBM know that?

    For some things, and yes.

    > But... but... but....
    >
    > It looks like linux fell on it's face again. One of the largest companies in
    > the world just snubbed linux and went with Microsoft. Despite Linux being
    > free.

    No, it looks like you are just a troll try to stir up trouble.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: {News] IBM chooses embedded Windows OS for new point of sale systems, rejects Linux

    * amicus_curious peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > http://www.ddj.com/blog/embeddedblog...oft_ibm_t.html
    >
    > "Microsoft also announced strong growth of Windows Embedded in the retail
    > market. According to a recent report published by IHL Group, the total
    > number of Windows Embedded Point of Service users in North American grew by
    > 250 percent in 2007. In a second study with RIS News, IHL also found that 63
    > percent of retailers were seriously considering a Windows Embedded operating
    > system for their next POS purchase."
    >
    > Looks like Linux is just a bridesmaid once again. Alas!

    I doubt it, since IBM uses Linux a lot already.

    More likely, Microsoft gave them a hell of a deal.

    This is funny (inadvertently):

    In a second study with RIS News, IHL also found that 63 percent of
    retailers were seriously considering a Windows Embedded
    operating system for their next POS purchase.

    --
    The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to
    factor large prime numbers.

  5. Re: {News] IBM chooses embedded Windows OS for new point of sale systems, rejects Linux

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    >* amicus_curious peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> http://www.ddj.com/blog/embeddedblog...oft_ibm_t.html
    >>
    >> "Microsoft also announced strong growth of Windows Embedded in the retail
    >> market. According to a recent report published by IHL Group, the total
    >> number of Windows Embedded Point of Service users in North American grew
    >> by
    >> 250 percent in 2007. In a second study with RIS News, IHL also found that
    >> 63
    >> percent of retailers were seriously considering a Windows Embedded
    >> operating
    >> system for their next POS purchase."
    >>
    >> Looks like Linux is just a bridesmaid once again. Alas!

    > I doubt it, since IBM uses Linux a lot already.
    >
    > More likely, Microsoft gave them a hell of a deal.

    More likely IBM selected the tool that was the best fit for the job.

    If someone needs a "hammer" they're not going to buy a "wrench" just because
    it's on sale.

    > This is funny (inadvertently):
    >
    > In a second study with RIS News, IHL also found that 63 percent of
    > retailers were seriously considering a Windows Embedded
    > operating system for their next POS purchase.

    Was the audience a bunch of 6th graders who also think that "poopy" is a
    funny word?

    > --
    > The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way
    > factor large prime numbers.
    > -- Bill Gates, The Road Ahead (1995), hardcover edition (corrected in
    > paperback)

  6. Re: {News] IBM chooses embedded Windows OS for new point of salesystems, rejects Linux

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:14:46 +0000, Kier wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:22:30 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:19:25 -0000, El Tux wrote:
    >>

    >>> I used to have a girlfriend who was blind.

    >> Sounds like the perfect girl for a Linux dweeb.
    >>
    >> What happened?
    >> One of her friends who could see described you to her and she ran
    >> away?

    > You know what, flatty, you're a really disgusting specimen of humanity.

    I'm fairly well convinced that flatty is a manic-depressive. You can see
    the mood swings pretty clearly if you look at his posts over a period of
    months. Twenty years ago I'd have cut him some slack for it, but they
    have all kinds of effective medications nowadays. The holdup isn't lack
    of a cure, but convincing a manic-depressive to stay on meds that
    suppress that oh-so-fun manic phase. The guy clearly needs a little help
    here and I know we don't all want to become enablers. So let's all just
    ignore him until he goes back on his meds...

  7. Re: {News] IBM chooses embedded Windows OS for new point of sale systems, rejects Linux

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:14:46 +0000, Kier wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:22:30 -0500, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:19:25 -0000, El Tux wrote:
    >>

    >>> I used to have a girlfriend who was blind.

    >> Sounds like the perfect girl for a Linux dweeb.
    >>
    >> What happened?
    >> One of her friends who could see described you to her and she ran away?

    > You know what, flatty, you're a really disgusting specimen of humanity.

    It was meant in jest.
    I surely did not mean to make fun of blind people.
    Sorry if it came across that way.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: {News] IBM chooses embedded Windows OS for new point of sale systems, rejects Linux

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:39:37 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Kier wrote:

    >>> Sounds like the perfect girl for a Linux dweeb.
    >>>
    >>> What happened?
    >>> One of her friends who could see described you to her and she ran
    >>> away?

    >> You know what, flatty, you're a really disgusting specimen of
    >> humanity.

    > That's a joke. Some of the "advocates" here on cola - including you Kursing
    > Kier - are the nastiest pieces of trash I've come across online.

    Really? Then you've lived a very sheltered life. And where are you when
    flatfish posts his filthy lies and smears, eh? Nowhere to be seen.

    --
    Kier

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2