OLPC = One Linux Piece of Crap - Linux

This is a discussion on OLPC = One Linux Piece of Crap - Linux ; It's incredible the number and severity of bug reports for this pile of trash. https://dev.laptop.org/query Here is just one example: ************************************************** *************** My XO was running version 653 (I had updated sometime in early February). I attempt to update to ...

  1. OLPC = One Linux Piece of Crap

    It's incredible the number and severity of bug reports for this pile of
    trash.

    https://dev.laptop.org/query

    Here is just one example:

    My XO was running version 653 (I had updated sometime in early February). I
    attempt to update to 656 to get more stable mousepad (erratic), and correct
    the chat behavior. The update fails on account of a server running out of
    space.

    Leaves machine in bad state, which can't be reset via the 'circle' game
    key. For example Typing the letter 'o' in the terminal activity just opens
    a new line.

    XO is unusable.

    I reboot, and use the history of the terminal as follows (since I can't
    type 'o') Typing the letter 'p' with ALT key brings history of terminal
    activity, getting to line 'olpc-update -rv 656' restarts the update with
    the message 'Deleting old incomplet update tmp.QLqEEl' eventually doing the
    'Rsyncing:' lines. Once it gets to the ../drivers/video' I get error:
    'wERROR: Unexpected server greeting: fakeroot, while creating message
    channels: No space left on device' eventually outputing - Creating contents
    for existing tree . . .

    * Performing full rsync

    Rsyncing: . . . etc. .... lots of output to the terminal.

    automatic reboot

    geting firmware

    WOW

    Reboot, to version 656!

    WOW

    I have attempted to use the 'circle' from the game pad, but my original is
    not restored.

    have done a full update to version 'update-1.691' with the aid of #olpc.
    The laptop has the following problems: 1. It enters the 'mouse-erratic'
    mode after performing the gmail activity. 2. Sometimes, when I enter
    information in a password field, then the laptop enters the
    'keyboard-control-character' mode. 3. I am able to restart the XO via the
    checkmark-reboot procedure.

    I am able to use it but reboot is necessary about every hour.

    I feel sorry for whomever buys one of these boat anchors.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: OLPC = One Linux Piece of Crap

    On Feb 27, 8:56 pm, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > It's incredible the number and severity of bug reports for this pile of
    > trash.
    >
    > https://dev.laptop.org/query
    >
    > Here is just one example:
    >
    > ************************************************** ***************

    And this is bug number what?

    Perhaps the reference to February was to February 2005.

  3. Re: OLPC = One Linux Piece of Crap

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:58:07 -0800 (PST), peterwn wrote:

    > On Feb 27, 8:56 pm, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> It's incredible the number and severity of bug reports for this pile of
    >> trash.
    >>
    >> https://dev.laptop.org/query
    >>
    >> Here is just one example:

    > And this is bug number what?
    >
    > Perhaps the reference to February was to February 2005.

    It doesn't matter....Take your pick...

    https://dev.laptop.org/timeline?from...ecision=second

    Here is one along the lines of 6000+ something...

    From 2 days ago in fact:

[...]

+ Reply to Thread