Re: [News] Office Suites Find Duality Online, OpenOffice.org's Bite of Microsoft's Life-critical Asset - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Office Suites Find Duality Online, OpenOffice.org's Bite of Microsoft's Life-critical Asset - Linux ; On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:31:22 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Open Source Guide: Take A Bite Out Of Microsoft's Cash Cow Just make sure you have your penicillin to treat that trichinosis you will get. Open Office is like ...

  1. Re: [News] Office Suites Find Duality Online, OpenOffice.org's Bite of Microsoft's Life-critical Asset

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:31:22 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Open Source Guide: Take A Bite Out Of Microsoft's Cash Cow

    Just make sure you have your penicillin to treat that trichinosis you will
    get.

    Open Office is like Linux, free every day of the year yet it's desktop
    usage doesn't even show up on the radar screen.

    Openoffice is even worse because it works with Windows as well as Linux.

    So, why *are* people still willing to pay for MSOfiice when Openoffice is
    free?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] Office Suites Find Duality Online, OpenOffice.org's Bite of Microsoft's Life-critical Asset

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:31:22 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Open Source Guide: Take A Bite Out Of Microsoft's Cash Cow

    > Just make sure you have your penicillin to treat that trichinosis you will
    > get.
    >
    > Open Office is like Linux, free every day of the year yet it's desktop
    > usage doesn't even show up on the radar screen.
    >
    > Openoffice is even worse because it works with Windows as well as Linux.
    >
    > So, why *are* people still willing to pay for MSOfiice when Openoffice is
    > free?

    It's shame but I suspect (without bothering to look) that its chequered
    development history has led to a bit of a mess in the code base. It is
    slow, buggy and unreliable. If it were not (as COLA advocates claim)
    then surely people would use it on Windows too? I am yet to see it in
    any reasonable sized office. my own experiences of it are mixed. The
    word copy is awful, and presentation SW is ok (despite recent bugs) and
    the spreadsheet is easily good enough for my (light) needs. I use all 3
    regularly enough at this moment but it is no where near the quality of
    Office. Sorry and all that. But its good enough for most I suspect.

+ Reply to Thread