A renewed wish for open document standards

,----[ Quote ]
| Currently, the technology industry is evaluating a proposed ISO standard for
| document formats. Given the importance of a workable standard, Microsoft's
| submission of Office Open XML (OOXML ) as an additional international
| standard has caught the attention of many. In September 2007, the original
| request to ISO was defeated. After further technical analysis of the
| specification along with all the additional data available on OOXML, Google
| believes OOXML would be an insufficient and unnecessary standard, designed
| purely around the needs of Microsoft Office.
`----

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/...-document.html

Related:

Microsoft's OOXML: The No vote

,----[ Quote ]
| "If I want to become a vendor of office productivity tools, if I have to - in
| order to be interoperable with other tools - implement two different
| standards or five or ten different standards, then the cost becomes
| overwhelming." *
|
| Rasmussen said what Google would like to see is further development of ODF in
| lieu of standardising a new format, particularly to enable the ability to
| convert old files to the latest format in full fidelity. *
|
| "I don't believe its true that ODF could not, with a reasonable amount of
| effort, be developed to a state where that could be done.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...93266&rid=-219

Why Google Office Matters And Other Microsoft Competitors Don't

,----[ Quote ]
| If you want to dent the Microsoft Office juggernaut with a
| Web alternative it's going to take enough users to get
| businesses to see it as an alternative. That's why Google's
| Office warrants attention. Google actually has enough users
| and mass to be a threat (someday) to Microsoft Office.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...5_id.html?.v=1

Google Steps Into Microsoft's Office

,----[ Quote ]
| Greg Brandeau is itching to dump the decade-old, homegrown e-mail
| system he manages at Pixar Animation Studios Inc. And the senior
| vice-president for technology at the Walt Disney Co. unit is sure
| about one thing: The replacement won't be Microsoft Corp.'s Exchange
| and Outlook duo, whose e-mail, calendar, and other programs
| dominate corporate computing.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...dex_technology

Why Software Business Models of the Future Probably Won't Come in a Box

,----[ Quote ]
| At a Wharton Leadership Lecture this past December, Ballmer noted
| that the two biggest competitive threats to Microsoft are open
| source software and advertising supported applications. "Right now,
| the emblem of the first one is Linux and the emblem of the second
| one is Google. But it's not the companies, it's the phenomena" that
| present the greatest challenge to Microsoft, said Ballmer.
`----

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/323350.html

Microsoft vs. Google in Office Software: What's The End Game?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...2_id.html?.v=1