6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus - Linux

This is a discussion on 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus - Linux ; http://www.securitypark.co.uk/securi...cle260403.html Linux/Rst-B virus still infecting computers and servers (21/02/2008) Linux users are reminded of the importance of properly securing their systems, following findings from SophosLabs that the Linux/Rst-B virus, which is this week celebrating its sixth birthday, is still infecting ...

  1. 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus

    http://www.securitypark.co.uk/securi...cle260403.html

    Linux/Rst-B virus still infecting computers and servers
    (21/02/2008)
    Linux users are reminded of the importance of properly securing their
    systems, following findings from SophosLabs that the Linux/Rst-B virus,
    which is this week celebrating its sixth birthday, is still infecting
    computers and servers.

    Analysis of malware in Sophos's Linux honeypots has shown almost 70% of the
    infections are due to this six-year-old malicious program. Today, Sophos has
    made freely available a detection tool to help Linux users find out whether
    they are unwittingly infected with this virus.

  2. Re: 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Vernon Wormer

    wrote
    on Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:29:48 -0500

    http://www.symantec.com/security_res...052312-2729-99
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/linuxrstb.html

    > Linux/Rst-B virus still infecting computers and servers
    > (21/02/2008)
    > Linux users are reminded of the importance of properly securing their
    > systems, following findings from SophosLabs that the Linux/Rst-B virus,
    > which is this week celebrating its sixth birthday, is still infecting
    > computers and servers.
    >
    > Analysis of malware in Sophos's Linux honeypots has shown almost 70% of the
    > infections are due to this six-year-old malicious program. Today, Sophos has
    > made freely available a detection tool to help Linux users find out whether
    > they are unwittingly infected with this virus.

    And remember, trolls, today's talking points are:

    [1] Linux systems are clearly insecure,
    as this virus is over 6 years old and still
    infecting systems, whereas Netsky and other
    such viruses aren't a problem anymore, even though
    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/defau...virus_k=101034
    says risk assessment is "medium", instead of the
    "low" assigned to Rst-B.

    [2] Sophos is slow as a snail in releasing a Linux
    detection tool for this virus.

    [3] There is no apparent mention of a Linux eradication tool.
    Oh, the horror.

    So don't delay. Order a copy of Microsoft Windows Vista today.
    You'll be glad you did.

    Well, sort of. See, for instance, the very short list of
    fixes included in Vista's SP1.

    http://www.kadaitcha.cx/vista/ad_hoc/sp1/aboutsp1.html

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #2239120:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = p; strcpy(p,q); }

  3. Re: 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus

    Vernon Wormer wrote:

    > :
    > Vernon Wormer

    Google search in google.news turns up

    Results 1 - 3 of 3 for Vernon Wormer. (0.10 seconds)

    Who the hell is Vernon Wormer? Never posted before, but want everyone to use
    a virus scanning tool for a linux virus? If you look over the pages at
    sophoslabs... I get an uneasy feeling with the whole proposed idea and
    soulition.

    No thanks, it smells funny...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  4. Re: 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:28:58 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > Vernon Wormer wrote:
    >
    >>:
    >> Vernon Wormer
    >>

    > Google search in google.news turns up
    >
    > Results 1 - 3 of 3 for Vernon Wormer. (0.10 seconds)
    >

    > Who the hell is Vernon Wormer? Never posted before, but want everyone to use
    > a virus scanning tool for a linux virus? If you look over the pages at
    > sophoslabs... I get an uneasy feeling with the whole proposed idea and
    > soulition.
    >
    > No thanks, it smells funny...

    Can't attack the post so you attack the poster.

    Typical Linux dweeb.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus

    * Jerry McBride peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Vernon Wormer wrote:
    >
    >> Vernon Wormer

    > Google search in google.news turns up
    >
    > Results 1 - 3 of 3 for Vernon Wormer. (0.10 seconds)
    >
    > Who the hell is Vernon Wormer? Never posted before, but want everyone to use
    > a virus scanning tool for a linux virus? If you look over the pages at
    > sophoslabs... I get an uneasy feeling with the whole proposed idea and
    > soulition.

    Vernon Wormer is the /dean/ of trolls.

    And his wife is a slut.

    --
    This is a fantastic time to be entering the business world, because business
    is going to change more in the next 10 years than it has in the last 50.

  6. Re: 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus

    Jerry McBride wrote:

    > Vernon Wormer wrote:
    >
    >> :
    >> Vernon Wormer
    >>

    > Google search in google.news turns up
    >
    > Results 1 - 3 of 3 for Vernon Wormer. (0.10 seconds)
    >

    > Who the hell is Vernon Wormer? Never posted before, but want everyone to
    > use a virus scanning tool for a linux virus? If you look over the pages at
    > sophoslabs... I get an uneasy feeling with the whole proposed idea and
    > soulition.
    >
    > No thanks, it smells funny...

    It is funny. That "virus" is slightly less "dangerous" than a toddler.

    And "Vernon Wormer" is just the teranews nymshifter. Nymshifts like mad, in
    a vain attempt to escape several killfiles. He is the reason several
    posters are killfiling teranews completely.
    Others keep him out of killfiles because it is rather amusing to see such
    outrageous stupidity

    --
    I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

  7. Re: 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus

    One man's religion is another man's belly laugh.

  8. Re: 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride

    wrote
    <0sud95xff9.ln2@supertux.my.domain>:
    > Vernon Wormer wrote:
    >
    >> :
    >> Vernon Wormer
    >>

    > Google search in google.news turns up
    >
    > Results 1 - 3 of 3 for Vernon Wormer. (0.10 seconds)
    >

    > Who the hell is Vernon Wormer? Never posted before, but want everyone to use
    > a virus scanning tool for a linux virus? If you look over the pages at
    > sophoslabs... I get an uneasy feeling with the whole proposed idea and
    > soulition.
    >
    > No thanks, it smells funny...

    Well, now, everyone should know that Linux is like
    dangerous[*]. Can't be too careful with all of
    them dozen or so Linux viruses known to exist, two of
    them which are apparently running amuck, wreaking havoc.
    (The other one is BadBunny. This compared to the hundreds,
    if not thousands, of known active Windows viruses, which
    are of course relatively safe because they're on Windows,
    I guess.)
    [*] Actually, Linux *is* dangerous -- to Microsoft's
    OS revenue stream. Can't be too careful there, either,
    I guess.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
    while(bit&BITMASK) ;

  9. Re: 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-Bvirus

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:28:58 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > Vernon Wormer wrote:
    >
    >> :
    >> Vernon Wormer
    >>

    > Google search in google.news turns up
    >
    > Results 1 - 3 of 3 for Vernon Wormer. (0.10 seconds)
    >

    > Who the hell is Vernon Wormer? Never posted before, but want everyone to
    > use a virus scanning tool for a linux virus? If you look over the pages
    > at sophoslabs... I get an uneasy feeling with the whole proposed idea
    > and soulition.
    >
    > No thanks, it smells funny...

    I agree. Smells like fish....

  10. Re: 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Vernon Wormer
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:29:48 -0500
    > <47c432eb$0$26024$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    >>
    >> http://www.securitypark.co.uk/securi...cle260403.html

    http://www.symantec.com/security_res...052312-2729-99
    > http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/linuxrstb.html
    >

    >> Linux/Rst-B virus still infecting computers and servers
    >> (21/02/2008)
    >> Linux users are reminded of the importance of properly securing their
    >> systems, following findings from SophosLabs that the Linux/Rst-B virus,
    >> which is this week celebrating its sixth birthday, is still infecting
    >> computers and servers.
    >>
    >> Analysis of malware in Sophos's Linux honeypots has shown almost 70% of
    >> the infections are due to this six-year-old malicious program. Today,
    >> Sophos has made freely available a detection tool to help Linux users
    >> find out whether they are unwittingly infected with this virus.
    >>

    > And remember, trolls, today's talking points are:
    >
    > [1] Linux systems are clearly insecure,
    > as this virus is over 6 years old and still
    > infecting systems, whereas Netsky and other
    > such viruses aren't a problem anymore, even though
    > http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/defau...virus_k=101034
    > says risk assessment is "medium", instead of the
    > "low" assigned to Rst-B.
    >
    > [2] Sophos is slow as a snail in releasing a Linux
    > detection tool for this virus.
    >
    > [3] There is no apparent mention of a Linux eradication tool.
    > Oh, the horror.
    >
    > So don't delay. Order a copy of Microsoft Windows Vista today.
    > You'll be glad you did.
    >
    > Well, sort of. See, for instance, the very short list of
    > fixes included in Vista's SP1.
    >
    > http://www.kadaitcha.cx/vista/ad_hoc/sp1/aboutsp1.html

    Damn! That's a big list... I wonder how much of it they got right?

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  11. Re: 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus

    Linonut writes:

    > * Jerry McBride peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Vernon Wormer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Vernon Wormer

    >> Google search in google.news turns up
    >>
    >> Results 1 - 3 of 3 for Vernon Wormer. (0.10 seconds)
    >>
    >> Who the hell is Vernon Wormer? Never posted before, but want everyone to use
    >> a virus scanning tool for a linux virus? If you look over the pages at
    >> sophoslabs... I get an uneasy feeling with the whole proposed idea and
    >> soulition.

    > Vernon Wormer is the /dean/ of trolls.
    >
    > And his wife is a slut.

    More "Mr Nice" from Liarnut. What a schizo.

  12. Re: 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus

    Do I LOOK like a damn people person?

  13. Re: 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus

    The report at Symantec says it has infected 0-2 sites. I'm not quaking
    in my boots in fear of this virus.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  14. Re: 6 years later - Linux systems still being infected by Rst-B virus

    Jim Richardson :

    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 00:21:26 +0100,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>
    >>> * Jerry McBride peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Vernon Wormer is the /dean/ of trolls.
    >>>
    >>> And his wife is a slut.

    >> More "Mr Nice" from Liarnut. What a schizo.

    > Never seen the movie "Animal House" have you?

    That was totally bugging me! I *knew* I knew that name!

    --
    Regardless of whether a mission expands or contracts,
    administrative overhead continues to grow at a steady rate.

    www.websterscafe.com

+ Reply to Thread