can MS Vista boot ubuntu or other linux from an external hard drivevia USB ? - Linux

This is a discussion on can MS Vista boot ubuntu or other linux from an external hard drivevia USB ? - Linux ; I would like to know if this is a possibility, my mother was sold a compaq PC with vista and only 512 meg, it is very horrible slow machine that should not have been sold like that, but if I ...

  1. can MS Vista boot ubuntu or other linux from an external hard drivevia USB ?

    I would like to know if this is a possibility, my mother was sold a
    compaq PC with vista and only 512 meg, it is very horrible slow
    machine that should not have been sold like that, but if I can boot
    off of linux without blowing away vista that would be a possible good
    solution to look into ...

  2. Re: can MS Vista boot ubuntu or other linux from an external hard drive via USB ?

    "wbsurfver@yahoo.com" wrote in message

    > I would like to know if this is a possibility, my mother was sold a
    > compaq PC with vista and only 512 meg, it is very horrible slow
    > machine that should not have been sold like that, but if I can boot
    > off of linux without blowing away vista that would be a possible good
    > solution to look into ...

    Being able to boot from a CD or USB drive has nothing to do with Vista. It's
    simply a function of your computer's BIOS. Since you will not be booting
    Vista and loading a different OS this in no way, shape or form has anything
    to do with Vista.

  3. Re: can MS Vista boot ubuntu or other linux from an external hard drive via USB ?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, wbsurfver@yahoo.com

    wrote
    on Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:16:28 -0800 (PST)
    :

    > I would like to know if this is a possibility, my mother was sold a
    > compaq PC with vista and only 512 meg, it is very horrible slow
    > machine that should not have been sold like that, but if I can boot
    > off of linux without blowing away vista that would be a possible good
    > solution to look into ...

    One tool you can use is bcdedit. Apparently, the
    'boot.ini' file is no more. A quick Google coughed up

    http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t411005.html

    and

    http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

    (Note the latter's ultra-intuitive URL.)

    A better, if more complex, solution might be to use GRUB,
    which is provided with most Linux distributions.

    A warning:

    http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/about78184.html

    Apparently ntfsresize and their ilk no longer function.
    Thanks, Microsoft. The good news: Vista apparently is
    about as simple to dualboot using GRUB as Windows XP was.

    (I would hope ntfsresize is (a) smart enough to
    realize this, and (b) fixed by now. I can't say.
    I don't have Vista. I don't *want* Vista. This is
    not comp.os.microsoft.windows.vista.fix.repair.kludge, but
    comp.os.linux.advocacy, so hopefully you'll forgive a wee
    bit of bias on my part. ;-) )

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #2239120:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = p; strcpy(p,q); }

  4. Re: can MS Vista boot ubuntu or other linux from an external hard drive via USB ?

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:16:28 -0800 (PST), wbsurfver@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I would like to know if this is a possibility, my mother was sold a
    > compaq PC with vista and only 512 meg, it is very horrible slow
    > machine that should not have been sold like that, but if I can boot
    > off of linux without blowing away vista that would be a possible good
    > solution to look into ...

    Send it to Kelsey.

    Within a week she will have Linux installed on it and have the machine
    setting a new world record for calculating PI to farthest decimal place and
    in record time.

    Seriously, Kelsey is *THAT* good!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: can MS Vista boot ubuntu or other linux from an external hard drive via USB ?

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:16:28 -0800 (PST), wbsurfver@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I would like to know if this is a possibility, my mother was sold a
    > compaq PC with vista and only 512 meg, it is very horrible slow
    > machine that should not have been sold like that, but if I can boot
    > off of linux without blowing away vista that would be a possible good
    > solution to look into ...

    If your BIOS supports booting off USB, then it should be no problem. Even
    if it doesn't, then you can use the Vista boot manager to boot Linux from
    most sources. bcdedit is the tool Microsoft ships, it's a command line
    based tool and not very easy to use. There is, however, a nice GUI tool
    called easybcd out there to make doing this much easier.

+ Reply to Thread