Microsoft challenges Avistar patents .. - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft challenges Avistar patents .. - Linux ; "Microsoft Corporation has filed requests for re-examination of 24 of Avistar's 29 U.S. patents. This follows 6 months of unsuccessful business discussions" "Patented bandwidth management enables thousands of users to access desktop videoconferencing, Voice over IP (VoIP) and streaming media, ...

  1. Microsoft challenges Avistar patents ..

    "Microsoft Corporation has filed requests for re-examination of 24 of
    Avistar's 29 U.S. patents. This follows 6 months of unsuccessful
    business discussions"

    "Patented bandwidth management enables thousands of users to access
    desktop videoconferencing, Voice over IP (VoIP) and streaming media,
    without requiring substantial new network investment or impairing
    network performance"

    http://snipurl.com/20fsh [www_foxbusiness_com]
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/i...493877_12.html

    --

    This reminds me of Wesley Snipes in Blade, will the good vampire succeed
    in killing the bad vampire, or is there little to deside between them.

  2. Re: Microsoft challenges Avistar patents ..

    "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    > "Microsoft Corporation has filed requests for re-examination of 24 of
    > Avistar's 29 U.S. patents. This follows 6 months of unsuccessful business
    > discussions"
    >
    > "Patented bandwidth management enables thousands of users to access
    > desktop videoconferencing, Voice over IP (VoIP) and streaming media,
    > without requiring substantial new network investment or impairing network
    > performance"
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/20fsh [www_foxbusiness_com]
    > http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/i...493877_12.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > This reminds me of Wesley Snipes in Blade, will the good vampire succeed
    > in killing the bad vampire, or is there little to deside between them.
    > Amicus_fuddie, a legal opinion is required .

    Well, I don't disagree with a lot of what you have to say about these
    patents. I would also note that Microsoft has been on the short end of the
    stick far more often than they have made any gain via patent assertion
    activity. I think that anyone who is granted a patent such as these should
    be required to bring the idea to some commercial implementation within some
    reasonable time, say 5 years or less. Failure to demonstrate a commercial
    value of such a patent at the time it was invented would negate its rights
    and render the technology into the public domain. OTOH "real" inventors who
    need protection for their innovations would continue to be shielded against
    copycat providers for a period of time that would allow the original
    inventor to establish themselves as the primary purveyor of the patented
    technology. Of course the inventor could continue to licenses others, but
    it would have to be brought to the market in a timely way.

    These patents under review are very broad and were not so viable when
    patented since the technology to support them did not exist. Dick Tracy
    comics featured the wrist radio in the 1940s, but electronics didn't catch
    up until the 1990s to make cell phones and such possible. A lot of the
    current patent litigation is in the same category.

  3. when did I say what about patents .. ?

    on 26/02/08 14:43 amicus_curious wrote:

    > Well, I don't disagree with a lot of what you have to say about these patents ..

    Where, when did I say what about patents ??

    --

    MS patented X-ray specs, lets you see whay you want to see in print and
    not's what realy there .

  4. Re: Microsoft challenges Avistar patents ..

    on 26/02/08 14:43 amicus_curious wrote:

    > I think that anyone who is granted a patent such as these should be required to bring the idea to some commercial implementation within some reasonable time ..

    How many different ways of utilizing 'bandwidth management' over IP are
    there, must be hundreds. For instance a hack of the broadcast protocol,
    UDP packets or IP tunneling would do it. Does that mean I have to pay
    'revenue' to some patent troll. A retorical question fuddie

    > Dick Tracy comics featured the wrist radio in the 1940s ..

    Does that mean that if 'Dick Tracy' had patented the idea in 1940, we
    would all have to pay him revenue.

  5. Re: Microsoft challenges Avistar patents ..

    > on 26/02/08 14:43 amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> I think that anyone who is granted a patent such as these should be
    >> required to bring the idea to some commercial implementation within some
    >> reasonable time ..

    > How many different ways of utilizing 'bandwidth management' over IP are
    > there, must be hundreds. For instance a hack of the broadcast protocol,
    > UDP packets or IP tunneling would do it. Does that mean I have to pay
    > 'revenue' to some patent troll. A retorical question fuddie
    >
    >> Dick Tracy comics featured the wrist radio in the 1940s ..

    > Does that mean that if 'Dick Tracy' had patented the idea in 1940, we
    > would all have to pay him revenue.

    Not anymore. Any 1940 era patent would have expired. For that matter
    anything before 1988 has expired, too.

    At the time that the subject patents were issued, 1993 apparently, they were
    possibly not commercially viable since supportive microelectronics had not
    evolved to the point where they are at today. If the patent pertained to
    something that would not be viable, say, unless everyone had access to
    10mbps or higher internet, it would be next to worthless in 1993 but would
    have value now. Back then it could not be implemented. Should it be
    patented? I don't think so. It is like someone patenting a use for time
    travel today in the hope that someone would invent time travel within 20
    years so that they would have a lock on using it effectively.

  6. Re: when did I say what about patents .. ?

    > on 26/02/08 14:43 amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Well, I don't disagree with a lot of what you have to say about these
    >> patents ..

    > Where, when did I say what about patents ??

    You are frequently making comments about software patents. It was a general
    observation.

  7. Re: Microsoft challenges Avistar patents ..

    on 26/02/08 15:53 amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message

    >> Does that mean that if 'Dick Tracy' had patented the idea in 1940, we would all have to pay him revenue.

    > Not anymore. Any 1940 era patent would have expired ..

    Sorry for not being clear, suppose 'Dick Tracy' was still alive and he
    patented his 'video Wristwatch' in 2007, citing his old comics as proof
    of originating inventor, do you think we should pay him revenue ..

  8. Re: Microsoft challenges Avistar patents ..

    > on 26/02/08 15:53 amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message

    >>> Does that mean that if 'Dick Tracy' had patented the idea in 1940, we
    >>> would all have to pay him revenue.

    >> Not anymore. Any 1940 era patent would have expired ..

    > Sorry for not being clear, suppose 'Dick Tracy' was still alive and he
    > patented his 'video Wristwatch' in 2007, citing his old comics as proof of
    > originating inventor, do you think we should pay him revenue ..

    Well, Dick Tracy himself was a fictional character, so that could not
    happen. His originator, Chester Gould, I believe is dead, but in any case,
    a patent has to be filed for within one year of the publication of that
    information, so that too cannot happen. If Chester had started selling cell
    phones in 1939, he would have been as rich as Bill Gates, I would imagine.

  9. Re: when did I say what about patents .. ?

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:54:15 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    >> on 26/02/08 14:43 amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, I don't disagree with a lot of what you have to say about these
    >>> patents ..

    >> Where, when did I say what about patents ??
    >>

    > You are frequently making comments about software patents. It was a general
    > observation.

    Another topic Doug Mentohl knows zero about.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread