Microsoft's glasnost on interoperability means more bugs, more exploits

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's decision last week to let everyone snoop through its software
| secrets means vulnerabilities and exploits will almost certainly climb in the
| short term, security researchers said today.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9064500

It might get harder for the monopolist to fool everyone by patching secretly
for dishonest vanity purposes (links below), if patch things _at all_ (or find
flaws).

Related:

Vista SP1 will contain undocumented fixes

,----[ Quote ]
| Interesting email in today mailbag: *“Will SP1 contain undisclosed or
| undocumented security fixes?”
|
| For some people, counting the number of security flaws that one OS has
| compared to another is important because it offers a metric upon which to *
| determine which OS is the most secure (personally, I feel that it’s a bogus
| metric, but I’ll let it slide for now). *However, many claim that Microsoft
| stacks the deck in its favor by not disclosing a full list of vulnerabilities
| that have been patched by omitting to include those discovered and patched
| in-house. * * *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1225

Critical Vulnerability in Microsoft Metrics

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a small subset of all the vulnerabilities, because the
| vulnerabilities that are found through the QA process and the vulnerabilities
| that are found by the security folks they engage as contractors to perform
| penetration testing are fixed in service packs and major updates. For
| Microsoft this makes sense because these fixes get the benefit of a full test
| pass which is much more robust for a service pack or major release than it is
| for a security update. * * *
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/security/200...osoft-metrics/

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX03096.pdf

Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
| fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
| effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
| keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions. *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=316

Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

,----[ Quote ]
| Forget for a moment whether Microsoft is throwing off patch counts
| that Microsoft brass use to compare its security record with those
| of its competitors. What do you think of Redmond’s silent patching
| practice?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=527

Microsoft is Counting Bugs Again