[News] KDE 4 Reviewed by Linux Planet - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] KDE 4 Reviewed by Linux Planet - Linux ; KDE 4: Wow Factor Fully Engaged ,----[ Quote | KDE 4 is in a word, cool. You don't have to take my word for it, though. You | can download your own test drive copy from KDE 4 Live CD. ...

  1. [News] KDE 4 Reviewed by Linux Planet

    KDE 4: Wow Factor Fully Engaged

    | KDE 4 is in a word, cool. You don't have to take my word for it, though. You
    | can download your own test drive copy from KDE 4 Live CD. This is a live
    | openSUSE 10.x CD with KDE 4.x on it. If you like what you see, you can
    | install the live CD snapshot onto your hard drive by going to
    | System->Administrator Settings->Miscellaneous->Live Installer. You can
    | customize the installation by selecting the Change button or you can click
    | Accept to use the default parameters and begin the install process
    | immediately.
    `----

    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6464/1/

    Related:

    KDE 4 Brings Improvements Galore to the Linux Desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The next generation of KDE, the popular Linux desktop environment, has
    | arrived. KDE 4.0 features a completely re-written core with new multimedia
    | libraries, better hardware abstraction and
    | desktop eye candy that puts Windows Vista to shame.
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...brings-im.html

    Fedora Developer Interview: KDE 4

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | KDE 4 is seen by many to be the next big step on the free software desktop,
    | while others think releasing 4.0 in its current condition was misleading and
    | a mistake. Either way, it's an innovative release and inline with Fedora's
    | goal of providing the latest and greatest free software it is set to be the
    | default KDE environment in the next major release of Fedora. We caught up
    | with a few members of the KDE SIG to talk about the work they're doing to get
    | it ready for release, their own opinions on the software and what they think
    | about the progress made by Fedora in getting over its GNOME centric
    | reputation.
    `----

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Interviews/KDE4

  2. Re: [News] KDE 4 Reviewed by Linux Planet

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > KDE 4: Wow Factor Fully Engaged

    >| KDE 4 is in a word, cool. You don't have to take my word for it, though. You
    >| can download your own test drive copy from KDE 4 Live CD. This is a live
    >| openSUSE 10.x CD with KDE 4.x on it. If you like what you see, you can
    >| install the live CD snapshot onto your hard drive by going to
    >| System->Administrator Settings->Miscellaneous->Live Installer. You can
    >| customize the installation by selecting the Change button or you can click
    >| Accept to use the default parameters and begin the install process
    >| immediately.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6464/1/

    As the mono problems are starting to bite into Gnome, I can see KDE
    coming out on top.

  3. Re: [News] Linux planet says KDE 4 is unstable garbage

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > KDE 4: Wow Factor Fully Engaged

    > | KDE 4 is in a word, cool. You don't have to take my word for it,
    > though. You
    > | can download your own test drive copy from KDE 4 Live CD. This is a
    > live
    > | openSUSE 10.x CD with KDE 4.x on it. If you like what you see, you can
    > | install the live CD snapshot onto your hard drive by going to
    > | System->Administrator Settings->Miscellaneous->Live Installer. You can
    > | customize the installation by selecting the Change button or you can
    > click
    > | Accept to use the default parameters and begin the install process
    > | immediately.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6464/1/

    I like how "Linux Planet" (unbiased I'm sure) tries to hide the fact that
    KDE 4 is a pile of **** by dropping this paragraph on the last page of the
    review.

    Although I really like KDE 4, I strongly suggest you wait until it has an
    opportunity to mature a bit more before using it on production-level
    systems or, for that matter, any system that requires stability. Currently,
    far too many applications and features don't completely work or are still
    in development. If you decide to use KDE 4, stay current with fixes and new
    releases as they become available. The 4.1 version is due out mid 2008 and
    will be well worth the wait.

  4. Re: [News] KDE 4 Reviewed by Linux Planet

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent

    wrote
    on Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:31:29 +0000
    <1cvc95-7ib.ln1@ellandroad.demon.co.uk>:
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> KDE 4: Wow Factor Fully Engaged

    >>| KDE 4 is in a word, cool. You don't have to take my word
    >>| for it, though. You can download your own test drive copy
    >>| from KDE 4 Live CD. This is a live openSUSE 10.x CD with
    >>| KDE 4.x on it. If you like what you see, you can install
    >>| the live CD snapshot onto your hard drive by going to
    >>| System->Administrator Settings->Miscellaneous->Live Installer.
    >>| You can customize the installation by selecting the Change
    >>| button or you can click Accept to use the default parameters
    >>| and begin the install process immediately.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6464/1/
    >>

    > As the mono problems are starting to bite into Gnome, I can see KDE
    > coming out on top.

    Highly debatable. I'll admit I'm not all that thrilled
    with Mono (though part of that is its Microsoft ties,
    part of it the bugginess of the monodevelop tool -- the
    latter will presumably work itself out over time), but
    KDE/Qt has some very weird quirks in its C++ dialect such
    as "private slots". These quirks are processed via moc,
    near as I can tell.

    I prefer Gnome's Gtk/Gdk system, as it's pure ANSI C.
    However, as worries go, there are higher priorities,
    of course, since one can download the source to moc.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.