[News] Mark Shuttleworth a Living Proof That GNU/Linux is Simply Better - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Mark Shuttleworth a Living Proof That GNU/Linux is Simply Better - Linux ; Ubuntu: Bridging the technology gap ,----[ Quote ] | "As a student I wanted to explore the internet and it turned out that Windows | and the other traditional operating systems did not have very good networking | technology at ...

  1. [News] Mark Shuttleworth a Living Proof That GNU/Linux is Simply Better

    Ubuntu: Bridging the technology gap

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "As a student I wanted to explore the internet and it turned out that Windows
    | and the other traditional operating systems did not have very good networking
    | technology at the time," said Shuttleworth. "A friend showed me Linux, and I
    | was amazed at its stability, reliability, and flexibility. In those days it
    | was really server-oriented and I used it to build the entire infrastructure
    | for Thawte. Over time I came to believe that the open, collaborative approach
    | of the free software community produces better quality software than the
    | traditional proprietary software approach."
    `----

    http://www.itpro.co.uk/servers/featu...ology-gap.html

    There are some other so-called (what trolls would call) 'linux luzers' like
    Page and Brin who did not so badly with GNU/Linux.

    Related:

    Linux for everyone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I found myself just enthralled by the breadth and depth of the tools that
    | were available from Linux, even in those very early days. It’s like going
    | from living in the desert to walking into an all-you-can-eat buffet. *
    `----

    http://www.cpilive.net/v3/inside.asp...20EAST&k=Linux
    %20Ubuntu
    http://tinyurl.com/2qt2v3

    Shuttleworth: Microsoft Fracturing the Open-Source Community

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "That's extortion and we should call it what it is," he said. "To say, as
    | [Microsoft CEO Steve] Ballmer did, that there is undisclosed balance sheet
    | liability, that's just extortion and we should refuse to get drawn into that
    | game. On the other side, if Microsoft is concerned about its intellectual
    | property, there is no one in the free software community that wants to
    | violate anyone's IP. Disclose the patents and we'll fix the code.
    | Alternatively, move on." * * *
    |
    | Microsoft has said it does disclose which patents are being violated, but
    | only in one-on-one conversations with vendors. To Shuttleworth, that is not
    | disclosure, because patents are public documents. *
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000616

    [Mark Shuttleworth Interview]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is asking people to pay them for patents, but they won't
    | say which ones. If a guy walks into a shop and says: "It's an
    | unsafe neighbourhood, why don't you pay me 20 bucks and I'll make
    | sure you're okay," that's illegal. It's racketeering. What Microsoft
    | is doing with intellectual property is exactly the same. It's a great
    | company and I have great admiration for it, but this was not a
    | well considered position.
    |
    | So you wouldn't do a deal?
    |
    | No, absolutely not. But the time will come when the folks at
    | Microsoft who have a clear vision for the company as a participant
    | in this community, rather than as a hostile antagonist, will win.
    `----

    http://mybroadband.co.za/nephp/?m=show&id=6672

  2. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth a Living Proof That GNU/Linux is Simply Better

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:35:25 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > http://www.itpro.co.uk/servers/featu...ology-gap.html
    >
    > There are some other so-called (what trolls would call) 'linux luzers' like
    > Page and Brin who did not so badly with GNU/Linux.

    So how much is Shuttleworth paying you to SPAm, Roy Schestowitz?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. flattie: if they're not paying you then you have to be nuts ..

    on 26/02/08 02:19 Moshe flatfish Goldfarb wrote:

    So how much is Shuttleworth paying you

    Microsoft the nosferatu of the IT industry, no matter how many stakes
    you put in it, it still won't die ..

    billg: listen to them, the developers of the night, what sweet music
    they make ...

  4. Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth a Living Proof That GNU/Linux is Simply Better

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:35:25 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> http://www.itpro.co.uk/servers/featu...ology-gap.html
    >>
    >> There are some other so-called (what trolls would call) 'linux luzers'
    >> like
    >> Page and Brin who did not so badly with GNU/Linux.

    > So how much is Shuttleworth paying you to SPAm, Roy Schestowitz?

    From the cite:

    "The Freedom Toaster is a kiosk for dispensing free software. Freedom
    Toasters are located in schools, shopping precincts and public libraries
    across South Africa. Anyone can take a blank CD or DVD to a Freedom Toaster,
    and select and burn any software they wish onto their blank disk. This is a
    specially valuable service in a country where broadband Internet access is a
    relatively rare commodity.

    ....They are a great draw in university locations and at conferences."

    I wonder how many of those broadband connections are being mostly made to
    Kazaa and such at those university locations. I can't see downloading OSS
    software as much of a thrill for most collegians, but being able to latch
    onto the tunes and videos might be a hit if you don't have a gigalan in your
    own room.

+ Reply to Thread