[News] One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web for Everyone - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web for Everyone - Linux ; Pakistan 'sparks YouTube outage' ,----[ Quote ] | Pakistan's attempts to block access to YouTube has been blamed for an almost | global blackout of the video website for more than an hour on Sunday. `---- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7262071.stm Pakistan YouTube ban ...

  1. [News] One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web for Everyone

    Pakistan 'sparks YouTube outage'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Pakistan's attempts to block access to YouTube has been blamed for an almost
    | global blackout of the video website for more than an hour on Sunday.
    `----

    Pakistan YouTube ban affected other nations

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | An attempt by Pakistan to block access to YouTube spilled outside its borders
    | and affected much of the world.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16832/1054/

    Related:

    Finland censors anti-censorship site

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Among the estimated 1,700 destinations on the secret block list is
    | lapsiporno.info, which has vocally criticized the Finnish censorship program,
    | according to Matti Nikki, the site's creator and a long-time activist. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...nsor_activist/

    Is Microsoft tinkering with Live Search results?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Is Microsoft filtering out from its Live Search results those it
    | considers ‚Äúundesirable‚ÄĚ for the company?
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1127

    AT&T admits it censored other bands

    | It looks like Pearl Jam isn't the only band that has had its politically
    | charged comments bleeped from concerts streamed from AT&T's Blue Room Web
    | site. ¬*
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | AT&T quickly apologized for the incident and blamed the company that handles
    | the Webcasting for performances on Blue Room.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-975...=2547-1_3-0-20

    Thailand shuts down political Web site

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Thai authorities have shut down a political Web site that spoke out against
    | the monarchy, the site's operator said Sunday, in another move to punish
    | critics of Thailand's most revered institution. ¬*
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080106/...d_web_site_ban

    China cracks down on 'vulgar' video

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | China is launching a nationwide crackdown on sexually suggestive video and
    | audio products, in the latest effort by government censors to curb content
    | considered to be in bad taste. ¬*
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080106/...ideo_crackdown

    NGO demands details of Saudi blogger's arrest

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A Saudi human rights group on Saturday demanded the interior ministry explain
    | why an Internet blogger who called for political reforms has been imprisoned.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080106...ternetpolitics

    Animal Rights Activists Forced to Hand Over Encryption Keys

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you remember, this was sold to the public as essential for fighting
    | terrorism. It's already being misused.
    `----

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive..._rights_a.html

    FBI screwed up, spied on entire email network

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The FBI on Friday revealed that human error led to surveillance of an entire
    | email network back in 2006, rather than the single email address approved by
    | the secretive court which approves domestic wiretaps and other forms of
    | e-surveillance.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02..._surveillance/

    Aussie Net Filtering Plans Challenged

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However, the filtering plan appears to involve blacklisting millions of
    | websites. A web browser hitting a blacklisted site should immediately hit a
    | message saying the site is unavailable, as is common in nations that practice
    | censorship. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...ans-challenged

    Saudi Blogger Still In Government Detention

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Fouad al-Farhan's criticism of the Saudi government earned him an
    | investigation by authorities, followed by his detention for questioning.
    `----

    http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...ment-detention

  2. Re: [News] One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web for Everyone

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    > Pakistan 'sparks YouTube outage'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Pakistan's attempts to block access to YouTube has been blamed for an almost
    > | global blackout of the video website for more than an hour on Sunday.
    > `----

    > Pakistan YouTube ban affected other nations
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | An attempt by Pakistan to block access to YouTube spilled outside its borders
    > | and affected much of the world.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16832/1054/
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > Finland censors anti-censorship site
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Among the estimated 1,700 destinations on the secret block list is
    > | lapsiporno.info, which has vocally criticized the Finnish censorship program,
    > | according to Matti Nikki, the site's creator and a long-time activist. ¬*
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...nsor_activist/

    Could someone tell me why that crazy loon Roy is posting this garbage?

    WTF has this to do with Linux?

  3. Re: One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web forEveryone

    On Feb 25, 6:15 am, Hadron wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz writes:
    > > Pakistan 'sparks YouTube outage'

    > >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7262071.stm

    > > Pakistan YouTube ban affected other nations

    > >http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16832/1054/

    > > Related:
    > > Finland censors anti-censorship site

    > >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...nsor_activist/

    > Could someone tell me why that crazy loon Roy is posting this garbage?
    > WTF has this to do with Linux?

    Interesting. "Hadron Quark" is presumably a Microsoft agent. No
    other
    entity has the motivation to continually attack GNU/Linux.

    An uncensored Internet is essential for the distribution of Linux, so
    the
    topic is quite relevant. Open-source software can overcome DRM
    censorship, as with DeCSS, thus another area of relevance.

    Microsoft uses censorship to try to kill Linux. It cuts its
    advertising
    spending to magazines that carry articles or ads about Linux.

    Microsoft created the "Palladium" software that would implement total
    government censorship of the Internet. All attempts to send or
    receive
    e-mail, or to access websites, would have to request permission from
    a government server. Connection to one's ISP would involve a
    cryptographic handshake that would ascertain that one's computer
    was running "Palladium". Open-source operating systems like Linux
    would be banned (not issued a registration ID), because they could
    fake the handshake and bypass the government server.

    So Microsoft wants Internet censorship as a way to kill Linux for
    good
    and maintain its monopoly forever. Microsoft would also make a
    profit
    by selling Palladium licenses and killing everyone's freedom.

    Thus Microsoft's presumptive agent "Hadron Quark" is well motivated
    to oppose discussions in COLA about Internet censorship.

  4. Re: One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web for Everyone

    Mark S Bilk writes:

    > On Feb 25, 6:15 am, Hadron wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >> > Pakistan 'sparks YouTube outage'

    >> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7262071.stm

    >> > Pakistan YouTube ban affected other nations

    >> >http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16832/1054/

    >> > Related:
    >> > Finland censors anti-censorship site

    >> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...nsor_activist/

    >> Could someone tell me why that crazy loon Roy is posting this garbage?
    >> WTF has this to do with Linux?

    > Interesting. "Hadron Quark" is presumably a Microsoft agent. No
    > other
    > entity has the motivation to continually attack GNU/Linux.

    How am I attacking Linux here? Trying to get Roy to stop posting garbage
    is better for Linux IMO.

    > An uncensored Internet is essential for the distribution of Linux, so
    > the
    > topic is quite relevant. Open-source software can overcome DRM
    > censorship, as with DeCSS, thus another area of relevance.
    >
    > Microsoft uses censorship to try to kill Linux. It cuts its
    > advertising
    > spending to magazines that carry articles or ads about Linux.

    Huh? You're lucky they fund those mags to start with.

    > Microsoft created the "Palladium" software that would implement total
    > government censorship of the Internet. All attempts to send or
    > receive
    > e-mail, or to access websites, would have to request permission from
    > a government server. Connection to one's ISP would involve a
    > cryptographic handshake that would ascertain that one's computer
    > was running "Palladium". Open-source operating systems like Linux
    > would be banned (not issued a registration ID), because they could
    > fake the handshake and bypass the government server.

    And wireshark runs on Linux. Does that mean all Linux users are
    eavesdroppers?

    > So Microsoft wants Internet censorship as a way to kill Linux for
    > good
    > and maintain its monopoly forever. Microsoft would also make a
    > profit
    > by selling Palladium licenses and killing everyone's freedom.

    You're quite mad.

    > Thus Microsoft's presumptive agent "Hadron Quark" is well motivated
    > to oppose discussions in COLA about Internet censorship.

    COLA is, or should be, about Linux advocacy.

    As for freedom, the fact that you are posting from google instantly sees
    you killfiled by the COLA faithful. ROTFLM.

    The irony is almost overbearing.

  5. Re: One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web for Everyone

    "Mark S Bilk" wrote in message
    > On Feb 25, 6:15 am, Hadron wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >> > Pakistan 'sparks YouTube outage'

    >> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7262071.stm

    >> > Pakistan YouTube ban affected other nations

    >> >http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16832/1054/

    >> > Related:
    >> > Finland censors anti-censorship site

    >> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...nsor_activist/

    >> Could someone tell me why that crazy loon Roy is posting this garbage?
    >> WTF has this to do with Linux?

    > Interesting. "Hadron Quark" is presumably a Microsoft agent. No
    > other
    > entity has the motivation to continually attack GNU/Linux.
    >
    > An uncensored Internet is essential for the distribution of Linux, so
    > the
    > topic is quite relevant. Open-source software can overcome DRM
    > censorship, as with DeCSS, thus another area of relevance.
    >
    > Microsoft uses censorship to try to kill Linux. It cuts its
    > advertising
    > spending to magazines that carry articles or ads about Linux.

    So when Microsoft decides where to advertise or not, in your tiny mind this
    is "censorship." GOD... And I didn't think that people this stupid
    existed.

    > Microsoft created the "Palladium" software that would implement total
    > government censorship of the Internet. All attempts to send or
    > receive
    > e-mail, or to access websites, would have to request permission from
    > a government server.

    Your tin-foil helmet is on way too tight. Loosen the helmet and pull your
    face out of your glue-bag. Your far fetched delusions are Schestowitz like
    in nature.

    > Connection to one's ISP would involve a
    > cryptographic handshake that would ascertain that one's computer
    > was running "Palladium". Open-source operating systems like Linux
    > would be banned (not issued a registration ID), because they could
    > fake the handshake and bypass the government server.

    Rexx... is that you?

    > So Microsoft wants Internet censorship as a way to kill Linux for
    > good
    > and maintain its monopoly forever. Microsoft would also make a
    > profit
    > by selling Palladium licenses and killing everyone's freedom.
    >
    > Thus Microsoft's presumptive agent "Hadron Quark" is well motivated
    > to oppose discussions in COLA about Internet censorship.

    Fool... you need to get a grip on reality.

  6. Re: One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web for Everyone

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 07:53:39 -0800 (PST), Mark S Bilk wrote:

    > On Feb 25, 6:15 am, Hadron wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >>> Pakistan 'sparks YouTube outage'

    >>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7262071.stm

    >>> Pakistan YouTube ban affected other nations

    >>>http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16832/1054/

    >>> Related:
    >>> Finland censors anti-censorship site

    >>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...nsor_activist/

    >> Could someone tell me why that crazy loon Roy is posting this garbage?
    >> WTF has this to do with Linux?

    > Interesting. "Hadron Quark" is presumably a Microsoft agent. No
    > other
    > entity has the motivation to continually attack GNU/Linux.
    >
    > An uncensored Internet is essential for the distribution of Linux, so
    > the
    > topic is quite relevant. Open-source software can overcome DRM
    > censorship, as with DeCSS, thus another area of relevance.
    >
    > Microsoft uses censorship to try to kill Linux. It cuts its
    > advertising
    > spending to magazines that carry articles or ads about Linux.
    >
    > Microsoft created the "Palladium" software that would implement total
    > government censorship of the Internet. All attempts to send or
    > receive
    > e-mail, or to access websites, would have to request permission from
    > a government server. Connection to one's ISP would involve a
    > cryptographic handshake that would ascertain that one's computer
    > was running "Palladium". Open-source operating systems like Linux
    > would be banned (not issued a registration ID), because they could
    > fake the handshake and bypass the government server.
    >
    > So Microsoft wants Internet censorship as a way to kill Linux for
    > good
    > and maintain its monopoly forever. Microsoft would also make a
    > profit
    > by selling Palladium licenses and killing everyone's freedom.
    >
    > Thus Microsoft's presumptive agent "Hadron Quark" is well motivated
    > to oppose discussions in COLA about Internet censorship.

    Just in case you don't know, Mark S. Bilk is a tinfoil suit type of the
    highest order.

    Some of his missions include proving the 9-11 attacks were an inside job
    and appearing on Pacifica Radio's left wing commie talk shows.

    http://www.radio4houston.org/Shows.html

    Mark is the one with the, ahem, highly effeminate voice.
    Oops, they all have effeminate voices.
    Oh well, you'll get the drift.

    http://bilksmears.blogspot.com/

    http://digg.com/politics/9_11_Truthl..._butter_planes

    Mark S. Bilk is also a Linux zealot and freedom fighter.

    No surprise there.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web for Everyone

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:03:34 -0500, Troy Kirkland wrote:

    > Your tin-foil helmet is on way too tight. Loosen the helmet and pull your
    > face out of your glue-bag. Your far fetched delusions are Schestowitz like
    > in nature.

    Schestowitz is a wack.
    Bilk is an entire can of nuts.

    See my reply to Hadron.

    >> Connection to one's ISP would involve a
    >> cryptographic handshake that would ascertain that one's computer
    >> was running "Palladium". Open-source operating systems like Linux
    >> would be banned (not issued a registration ID), because they could
    >> fake the handshake and bypass the government server.

    > Rexx... is that you?

    Nope.
    Bilk is a certified loony toon.

    >> So Microsoft wants Internet censorship as a way to kill Linux for
    >> good
    >> and maintain its monopoly forever. Microsoft would also make a
    >> profit
    >> by selling Palladium licenses and killing everyone's freedom.
    >>
    >> Thus Microsoft's presumptive agent "Hadron Quark" is well motivated
    >> to oppose discussions in COLA about Internet censorship.

    > Fool... you need to get a grip on reality.

    And in the worst way.

    See my other post.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [News] One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web for Everyone

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:15:00 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >
    >> Pakistan 'sparks YouTube outage'
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Pakistan's attempts to block access to YouTube has been blamed for an almost
    >>| global blackout of the video website for more than an hour on Sunday.
    >> `----

    >> Pakistan YouTube ban affected other nations
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| An attempt by Pakistan to block access to YouTube spilled outside its borders
    >>| and affected much of the world.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16832/1054/
    >>

    >> Related:
    >>
    >> Finland censors anti-censorship site
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Among the estimated 1,700 destinations on the secret block list is
    >>| lapsiporno.info, which has vocally criticized the Finnish censorship program,
    >>| according to Matti Nikki, the site's creator and a long-time activist. *
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...nsor_activist/
    >>

    > Could someone tell me why that crazy loon Roy is posting this garbage?
    >
    > WTF has this to do with Linux?

    Like many of Roy Schestowitz's posts, it has nothing to do with Linux but
    it is a subject line that people will most likely read and it will generate
    hits to his website.

    Unlike his boring so called advocacy posts which most people who know him
    ignore.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web for Everyone

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 07:53:39 -0800 (PST), Mark S Bilk wrote:

    >>> Could someone tell me why that crazy loon Roy is posting this garbage?
    >>> WTF has this to do with Linux?

    >> Interesting. "Hadron Quark" is presumably a Microsoft agent. No
    >> other
    >> entity has the motivation to continually attack GNU/Linux.
    >>
    >> An uncensored Internet is essential for the distribution of Linux, so
    >> the
    >> topic is quite relevant. Open-source software can overcome DRM
    >> censorship, as with DeCSS, thus another area of relevance.
    >>
    >> Microsoft uses censorship to try to kill Linux. It cuts its
    >> advertising
    >> spending to magazines that carry articles or ads about Linux.
    >>
    >> Microsoft created the "Palladium" software that would implement total
    >> government censorship of the Internet. All attempts to send or
    >> receive
    >> e-mail, or to access websites, would have to request permission from
    >> a government server. Connection to one's ISP would involve a
    >> cryptographic handshake that would ascertain that one's computer
    >> was running "Palladium". Open-source operating systems like Linux
    >> would be banned (not issued a registration ID), because they could
    >> fake the handshake and bypass the government server.
    >>
    >> So Microsoft wants Internet censorship as a way to kill Linux for
    >> good
    >> and maintain its monopoly forever. Microsoft would also make a
    >> profit
    >> by selling Palladium licenses and killing everyone's freedom.
    >>
    >> Thus Microsoft's presumptive agent "Hadron Quark" is well motivated
    >> to oppose discussions in COLA about Internet censorship.

    > Just in case you don't know, Mark S. Bilk is a tinfoil suit type of the
    > highest order.
    >
    > Some of his missions include proving the 9-11 attacks were an inside job
    > and appearing on Pacifica Radio's left wing commie talk shows.
    >
    > http://www.radio4houston.org/Shows.html
    >
    > Mark is the one with the, ahem, highly effeminate voice.
    > Oops, they all have effeminate voices.
    > Oh well, you'll get the drift.
    >
    > http://bilksmears.blogspot.com/
    >
    > http://digg.com/politics/9_11_Truthl..._butter_planes
    >
    > Mark S. Bilk is also a Linux zealot and freedom fighter.
    >
    > No surprise there.

    I wonder if he has asked his Mom for 200$ for that open source VGA PCI
    card that that freak at Waccoville has designed?

  10. Re: One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web for Everyone

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:36:36 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> Interesting. "Hadron Quark" is presumably a Microsoft agent. No
    >>> other
    >>> entity has the motivation to continually attack GNU/Linux.
    >>>
    >>> An uncensored Internet is essential for the distribution of Linux, so
    >>> the
    >>> topic is quite relevant. Open-source software can overcome DRM
    >>> censorship, as with DeCSS, thus another area of relevance.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft uses censorship to try to kill Linux. It cuts its
    >>> advertising
    >>> spending to magazines that carry articles or ads about Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft created the "Palladium" software that would implement total
    >>> government censorship of the Internet. All attempts to send or
    >>> receive
    >>> e-mail, or to access websites, would have to request permission from
    >>> a government server. Connection to one's ISP would involve a
    >>> cryptographic handshake that would ascertain that one's computer
    >>> was running "Palladium". Open-source operating systems like Linux
    >>> would be banned (not issued a registration ID), because they could
    >>> fake the handshake and bypass the government server.
    >>>
    >>> So Microsoft wants Internet censorship as a way to kill Linux for
    >>> good
    >>> and maintain its monopoly forever. Microsoft would also make a
    >>> profit
    >>> by selling Palladium licenses and killing everyone's freedom.
    >>>
    >>> Thus Microsoft's presumptive agent "Hadron Quark" is well motivated
    >>> to oppose discussions in COLA about Internet censorship.

    >> Just in case you don't know, Mark S. Bilk is a tinfoil suit type of the
    >> highest order.
    >>
    >> Some of his missions include proving the 9-11 attacks were an inside job
    >> and appearing on Pacifica Radio's left wing commie talk shows.
    >>
    >> http://www.radio4houston.org/Shows.html
    >>
    >> Mark is the one with the, ahem, highly effeminate voice.
    >> Oops, they all have effeminate voices.
    >> Oh well, you'll get the drift.
    >>
    >> http://bilksmears.blogspot.com/
    >>
    >> http://digg.com/politics/9_11_Truthl..._butter_planes
    >>
    >> Mark S. Bilk is also a Linux zealot and freedom fighter.
    >>
    >> No surprise there.

    > I wonder if he has asked his Mom for 200$ for that open source VGA PCI
    > card that that freak at Waccoville has designed?

    I thought that was a misprint until I read the entire article.
    Are they kidding?

    A VGA PCI card for $200.00?

    I can buy one of those for $10.00.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web for Everyone

    In article
    ,
    Mark S Bilk wrote:
    > An uncensored Internet is essential for the distribution of Linux, so
    > the topic is quite relevant. Open-source software can overcome DRM
    > censorship, as with DeCSS, thus another area of relevance.

    Such an internet is essential for Windows, too, for the distribution of
    updates, and for OS X. Hence, it has nothing to do with the topic of
    this newsgroup, which is for the discussion of the benefits of Linux
    compared to other systems.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  12. Re: One Nation's Web Censorship Goes Titsup and Ruins Web for Everyone

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:36:36 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> Just in case you don't know, Mark S. Bilk is a tinfoil suit type of the
    >>> highest order.
    >>>
    >>> Some of his missions include proving the 9-11 attacks were an inside job
    >>> and appearing on Pacifica Radio's left wing commie talk shows.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.radio4houston.org/Shows.html
    >>>
    >>> Mark is the one with the, ahem, highly effeminate voice.
    >>> Oops, they all have effeminate voices.
    >>> Oh well, you'll get the drift.
    >>>
    >>> http://bilksmears.blogspot.com/
    >>>
    >>> http://digg.com/politics/9_11_Truthl..._butter_planes
    >>>
    >>> Mark S. Bilk is also a Linux zealot and freedom fighter.
    >>>
    >>> No surprise there.

    >> I wonder if he has asked his Mom for 200$ for that open source VGA PCI
    >> card that that freak at Waccoville has designed?

    > I thought that was a misprint until I read the entire article.
    > Are they kidding?
    >
    > A VGA PCI card for $200.00?
    >
    > I can buy one of those for $10.00.

    I could get given 1000 of them along with a cheque for 1000 dollars to landfill
    them. Seriously.

+ Reply to Thread