[News] New GNU/Linux Users Express Satisfaction - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] New GNU/Linux Users Express Satisfaction - Linux ; Linux on a Dell Inspiron 1501 ,----[ Quote ] | At this point Linux was ahead of Windows, because I could get all my desired | software through apt-get. I use Firefox on both sides, synchronizing my | bookmarks with ...

  1. [News] New GNU/Linux Users Express Satisfaction

    Linux on a Dell Inspiron 1501

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At this point Linux was ahead of Windows, because I could get all my desired
    | software through apt-get. I use Firefox on both sides, synchronizing my
    | bookmarks with Foxmarks. In contrast, it took hours to get all my necessary
    | Windows programs installed, including all the little free or paid-for
    | shareware programs I use.
    |
    | To be honest, I haven’t explored Ubuntu very deeply yet. I don’t currently
    | have any programming projects, and I’m not setting up any special services.
    | Mainly I’m doing email, surfing the web, and writing. But since getting Linux
    | installed I don’t think I’ve booted into Windows once in the last two months
    | except to install software, just in case I need it.
    `----

    http://blog.genewilburn.com/archives/30

    My Review of Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ubuntu is an extremely popular Linux distribution. As usual, the servers got
    | clogged with traffic from all the users trying to download Ubuntu all at
    | once. After letting my Ubuntu installation sit for a while, I decide to write
    | a review of it now.
    `----

    http://www.thegreatbitbucket.com/200...sy-gibbon.html

    Related:

    Windows Vista, The best thing that ever happened to Linux?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Millions of these units have been ordered by Countries such as
    | Nigeria and Libya and pretty soon there will be millions of
    | children around the world with Linux as their first operating
    | system.
    |
    | In stark contrast Microsoft have just released Windows Vista,
    | probably the most resource hungry Operating System ever, for
    | the PC platform.
    `----

    http://www.otezz.net/windows-vista-t...ened-to-linux/

    Linux gains despite and because of Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Despite the heightened competition over the last two quarters from
    | Microsoft-Novell and a move by Oracle to undercut Red Hat on the cost of Red
    | Hat Linux support service, Red Hat has reported double-digit growth in
    | revenue and an increase in profit. *
    |
    | “The success of Red Hat has been able to validate the future potential for
    | open source software,” Szulik says.
    |
    | Emerging countries are also lucrative markets for Linux, says IDC’s Gillen,
    | because there isn’t as much of the legacy Windows technology to have to
    | displace. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...ns.html?page=3

    Open source and Linux looking better every day

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different
    | versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download
    | an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start program?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Added openSUSE - dual boot, so I can use both.
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/14993

    Vista Upgrade: Stuck in the Middle of Nowhere

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is just another reason (again, that is another post for another
    | time) why I am hoping to never upgrade my Windows XP laptop to Vista.
    | I am hedging my bets on Linux and Wine improving to where I can
    | abandon Windows before XP is no longer supported.
    `----

    http://www.imarc.net/blog/139/vista_...le_of_nowhere/

    Linux Says Bye-bye Windows XP!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's been one of those months! My computer crashed taking with it crucial
    | XP system files. This is the 3rd crash in the last year and I've finally
    | had enough with the Windows operating system!
    `----

    http://www.richtam123.com/wp/?p=20

  2. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Users Express frustration trying to get linux to work

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Linux on a Dell Inspiron 1501
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | At this point Linux was ahead of Windows, because I could get all my
    > desired
    > | software through apt-get. I use Firefox on both sides, synchronizing my
    > | bookmarks with Foxmarks. In contrast, it took hours to get all my
    > necessary
    > | Windows programs installed, including all the little free or paid-for
    > | shareware programs I use.
    > |
    > | To be honest, I haven't explored Ubuntu very deeply yet. I don't
    > currently
    > | have any programming projects, and I'm not setting up any special
    > services.
    > | Mainly I'm doing email, surfing the web, and writing. But since getting
    > Linux
    > | installed I don't think I've booted into Windows once in the last two
    > months
    > | except to install software, just in case I need it.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.genewilburn.com/archives/30

    -- "Then I searched out newsgroup and forum experiences on their usability
    with Linux. One laptop I'd been looking at, an Acer, got a major thumbs down
    from Linux users who ran into serious problems with drivers."
    Translation: Despite the COLA claims this is yet more hardware that doesn't
    work with Linux.

    -- "After I had Windows XP working - and it's always best to install Windows
    first on a dual-boot Linux computer - I turned to Linux. I've grown to like
    Ubuntu Linux and downloaded the latest ISO file and burned a boot CD. I've
    installed Ubuntu onto a few machines now with no problem, but when I
    attempted to boot it on the 1501 the video disappeared and the system hung.
    I had to remove the battery before I could get control of the system back."
    Translation: Yet more linux ubuntu hardware issues. So much for the "it
    works for me crowd" because clearly there are some major problems.

    -- "I rebooted, and lost the video again. Back to removing the battery to
    shut down the system."
    Translation: Yep. More amateur slopware that isn't ready for the masses.
    What good are the 20 different text editors if the video won't even work.

    -- "It turns out that the boot line in /boot/grub/menu.lst needs to have
    "splash" removed. I also removed the "quiet" attribute from the line because
    I like to watch the progress as my system boots."
    Translation: Tweak enough config files and maybe linux will work.

    -- "With this fix, Ubuntu booted up quite well, but looked like crap. The
    open-source video drivers for the video didn't do it justice. Perusing
    through the Ubuntu 1501 site indicated that it was possible to get a
    proprietary, non-open-source video driver."
    Translation: Once again propreitary closed source beats open source.

    -- "I still didn't have wireless working though... There were several
    entries on getting wireless to work on the 1501 but the one that sounded the
    cleanest was one involving ndiswrapper running the XP driver within Linux."
    Translation: Linux still has piss-poor support for wireless cards. Thank
    goodness that a MS-Windows driver was available otherwise he'd be without
    wireless.

  3. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Users Express frustration trying to get linux to work

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:31:00 -0500, Troy Kirkland wrote:

> [...]

    > I like to watch the progress as my system boots."
    > Translation: Tweak enough config files and maybe linux will work.
    >

    > -- "With this fix, Ubuntu booted up quite well, but looked like crap. The
    > open-source video drivers for the video didn't do it justice. Perusing
    > through the Ubuntu 1501 site indicated that it was possible to get a
    > proprietary, non-open-source video driver."
    > Translation: Once again propreitary closed source beats open source.
    >

    > -- "I still didn't have wireless working though... There were several
    > entries on getting wireless to work on the 1501 but the one that sounded the
    > cleanest was one involving ndiswrapper running the XP driver within Linux."
    > Translation: Linux still has piss-poor support for wireless cards. Thank
    > goodness that a MS-Windows driver was available otherwise he'd be without

    Yep..
    These Linux laptops are really turning out to be pieces of crap, not
    hardware wise but software wise.

    Tell me, how can something that bad be released?

    Oh I know, they expect the Linux community to debug the thing for them and
    contribute their findings back to the manufacturer.
    That must be it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Users Express Satisfaction

    Troy (Flatfish) Kirkland wrote:

    >> Hadron,
    >>
    >> If you had bothered to find out who wrote this 'review' you would have
    >> discovered its author is a 15 year old kid from Massachusetts.

    > A 15 year old kid!!! Sure bout that?
    >
    > From the very FIRST SENTENCE in the blog:
    >
    > ---- "Since I've retired from IT work, I don't have much chance to keep my
    > Unix skills fresh ..."
    >
    > So you're claiming that some 15 year old already retired from IT work.
    >

    >> He Dugg the
    >> article from his own blog. He may well be an awestruck fanboy, but give
    >> the
    >> kid a break, it will take him at least 5 lifetimes to work up to the
    >> level of perfection that you aspire to.

    > This retired person is an ex-Unix guy. What "kid" are you talking about?
    >

    >> And no, I am not HPT, whoever that is.

    Flatfish you twat.

    http://www.thegreatbitbucket.com/200...sy-gibbon.html

    Follow the correct link!

  5. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Users Express Satisfaction

    "SomeBloke" wrote in message
    > Troy (Flatfish) Kirkland wrote:
    >

    >>> Hadron,
    >>>
    >>> If you had bothered to find out who wrote this 'review' you would have
    >>> discovered its author is a 15 year old kid from Massachusetts.

    >> A 15 year old kid!!! Sure bout that?
    >>
    >> From the very FIRST SENTENCE in the blog:
    >>
    >> ---- "Since I've retired from IT work, I don't have much chance to keep
    >> my
    >> Unix skills fresh ..."
    >>
    >> So you're claiming that some 15 year old already retired from IT work.
    >>

    >>> He Dugg the
    >>> article from his own blog. He may well be an awestruck fanboy, but give
    >>> the
    >>> kid a break, it will take him at least 5 lifetimes to work up to the
    >>> level of perfection that you aspire to.

    >> This retired person is an ex-Unix guy. What "kid" are you talking about?
    >>

    >>> And no, I am not HPT, whoever that is.
    >>>

    > Flatfish you twat.
    >
    > http://www.thegreatbitbucket.com/200...sy-gibbon.html
    >
    > Follow the correct link!

    What's wrong with the first link. The one that is referenced by the SUBJECT
    of this thread? That's the link that I'm talking about.

    Perhaps the Spamowitz should just post one link to the story instead of his
    usual 38 links to **** that has nothing to do with the topic?

  6. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Users Express Satisfaction

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:41:58 -0500, Troy Kirkland wrote:

    > "SomeBloke" wrote in message

    >>> A 15 year old kid!!! Sure bout that?
    >>>
    >>> From the very FIRST SENTENCE in the blog:
    >>>
    >>> ---- "Since I've retired from IT work, I don't have much chance to keep
    >>> my
    >>> Unix skills fresh ..."
    >>>
    >>> So you're claiming that some 15 year old already retired from IT work.

    >>> This retired person is an ex-Unix guy. What "kid" are you talking about?

    >> Flatfish you twat.
    >>
    >> http://www.thegreatbitbucket.com/200...sy-gibbon.html
    >>
    >> Follow the correct link!

    > What's wrong with the first link. The one that is referenced by the SUBJECT
    > of this thread? That's the link that I'm talking about.
    >
    > Perhaps the Spamowitz should just post one link to the story instead of his
    > usual 38 links to **** that has nothing to do with the topic?

    With Schestowitz it's quantity, not quality.

    By his own admission, he doesn't proof read anything.
    Also by his own admission, he doesn't read what others post to digg.com.

    Further evidence that Schestowitz is a paid spammer who is not interested
    in discussing Linux but only in SPAMMING his own websites all over the
    place.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: