Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage - Linux

This is a discussion on Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage - Linux ; This is interesting: Google on Wednesday said it had seen 50 times more searches on AppleŒs iPhone than any other mobile handset, adding weight to the group¹s confidence at being able to generate significant revenues from the mobile internet. ³We ...

  1. Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    This is interesting:

    Google on Wednesday said it had seen 50 times more searches on
    AppleŒs iPhone than any other mobile handset, adding weight to the
    group¹s confidence at being able to generate significant revenues
    from the mobile internet.

    ³We thought it was a mistake and made our engineers check the logs
    again,² Vic Gundotra, head of Google¹s mobile operations told the
    Financial Times at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

    Speaking of the iPhone, there were some predictions here that it would
    not generate much interest in the UK, because UK users would not be
    interested in anything less than 3G networking. Apparently, that was
    not correct:

    The iPhone is generating "unheard-of levels of mobile Internet
    usage," according to Vivek Dev, COO of Telefónica O2 Europe, the
    sole carrier of the device in the United Kingdom. Web browsing and
    e-mail are two of the primary purposes of the iPhone, and O2
    customers have unlimited use under current plans. Traffic is said to
    be so high in fact that it is straining O2's network, and this is
    only expected to become worse as the company switches to flat data
    fees. Voice and SMS plans were recently upgraded.

    BTW, remember those "missing" iPhones? Some said that the difference
    between Apple's numbers and AT&T's numbers showed that a lot of iPhones
    were just sitting on the shelves in AT&T stores. Well, a big chunk of
    the difference has turned up. China Moblie says there are 400k unlocked
    iPhones on their network:

    <http://www.intomobile.com/2008/02/21...es-in-china.ht
    ml>

    --
    --Tim Smith

  2. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    Appil Crap Fraudster and Asstroturfer Tim Smith wrote on behalf of Appil
    Corporation:

    > This is interesting:

    Who cares about your appil crap?
    This is Linux advocacy group and appil asstroturfers
    are trying out their content spam techniques here?

    Here look lots of free Linux to try out
    on your expensive appil - or save the costs
    and go buy a decent PC to try all this out.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  3. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    > Speaking of the iPhone, there were some predictions here that it would
    > not generate much interest in the UK, because UK users would not be
    > interested in anything less than 3G networking. Apparently, that was
    > not correct:

    Would that advice be from the same COLA advocate that told us "when
    people realise what the PS3 can do with Linux is on it then the Windows
    PC is dead"?

    Hint:

    Znex Xrag

    (Rot-13d so as not to spoil it for the great unwashed)

  4. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    "7" stated in post
    pPowj.12921$XI.5249@text.news.virginmedia.com on 2/24/08 6:26 PM:

    > Appil Crap Fraudster and Asstroturfer Tim Smith wrote on behalf of Appil
    > Corporation:
    >

    >> This is interesting:

    > Who cares about your appil crap?
    > This is Linux advocacy group and appil asstroturfers
    > are trying out their content spam techniques here?
    >
    > Here look lots of free Linux to try out
    > on your expensive appil - or save the costs
    > and go buy a decent PC to try all this out.
    >
    > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > http://www.distrowatch.com

    Is English your first language?

    --
    What do you call people who are afraid of Santa Claus? Claustrophobic.

  5. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    > This is interesting:
    >
    > ³We thought it was a mistake and made our engineers check the logs
    > again,² Vic Gundotra, head of Google¹s mobile operations told the
    > Financial Times at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

    Sounds like people who feel they can afford an iPhone also feel they can
    afford the internet access fees!

    > The iPhone is generating "unheard-of levels of mobile Internet
    > usage," according to Vivek Dev, COO of Telefónica O2 Europe...

    "Vivek Dev?" Sounds like the name of a coder, not a COO!

    > BTW, remember those "missing" iPhones? Some said that the difference
    > between Apple's numbers and AT&T's numbers showed that a lot of iPhones
    > were just sitting on the shelves in AT&T stores. Well, a big chunk of
    > the difference has turned up. China Moblie says there are 400k unlocked
    > iPhones on their network:

    Ah, the ol' black market's got that ol' black magic!

    --
    Stolen's a strong word. It's copyrighted content that the owner wasn't paid
    for. So yes. -- Bill Gates, On his use of YouTube to watch videos. "Bill Gates

  6. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:
    > > BTW, remember those "missing" iPhones? Some said that the difference
    > > between Apple's numbers and AT&T's numbers showed that a lot of iPhones
    > > were just sitting on the shelves in AT&T stores. Well, a big chunk of
    > > the difference has turned up. China Moblie says there are 400k unlocked
    > > iPhones on their network:
    > >

    > Ah, the ol' black market's got that ol' black magic!

    It's kind of funny, as iPhones are assembled in China. So, they come
    from China to the US, and then sneak back to China!

    --
    --Tim Smith

  7. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    In article ,
    Snit wrote:

    > Is English your first language?

    Is it *any* of his languages?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:21:44 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:

    > This is interesting:
    >
    > Google on Wednesday said it had seen 50 times more searches on
    > AppleŒs iPhone than any other mobile handset, adding weight to the
    > group¹s confidence at being able to generate significant revenues
    > from the mobile internet.
    >
    > ³We thought it was a mistake and made our engineers check the logs
    > again,² Vic Gundotra, head of Google¹s mobile operations told the
    > Financial Times at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
    >

    > Speaking of the iPhone, there were some predictions here that it would
    > not generate much interest in the UK, because UK users would not be
    > interested in anything less than 3G networking. Apparently, that was
    > not correct:
    >
    > The iPhone is generating "unheard-of levels of mobile Internet
    > usage," according to Vivek Dev, COO of Telefónica O2 Europe, the
    > sole carrier of the device in the United Kingdom. Web browsing and
    > e-mail are two of the primary purposes of the iPhone, and O2
    > customers have unlimited use under current plans. Traffic is said to
    > be so high in fact that it is straining O2's network, and this is
    > only expected to become worse as the company switches to flat data
    > fees. Voice and SMS plans were recently upgraded.
    >

    > BTW, remember those "missing" iPhones? Some said that the difference
    > between Apple's numbers and AT&T's numbers showed that a lot of iPhones
    > were just sitting on the shelves in AT&T stores. Well, a big chunk of
    > the difference has turned up. China Moblie says there are 400k unlocked
    > iPhones on their network:
    >
    > <http://www.intomobile.com/2008/02/21...es-in-china.ht
    > ml>

    And remember the hate and venum spewed in COLA when the iPhone was
    released?
    Remember Kelsey's retarded remark about who needs a phonebook with 10,00
    entries or something like that.
    Remember the predictions by the COLA nuts that the iPhone was an overpriced
    fad and it would die.

    And so forth.

    Score another loss for COLA.

    BTW where are all of those Linux based iPhone killers we keep hearing
    about?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    "Tim Smith" stated in post
    reply_in_group-031E2F.19100724022008@news.supernews.com on 2/24/08 8:10 PM:

    > In article ,
    > Snit wrote:
    >>>

    >> Is English your first language?

    > Is it *any* of his languages?

    Good point!

    Seriously, if English is not his first language or if he has a learning
    disability or something I am willing to try to dig through his poor grammar
    an spelling to see if there is a message buried in his posts...

    --
    I am one of only .3% of people who have avoided becoming a statistic.

  10. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:33:25 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >
    >> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:21:44 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is interesting:
    >>>
    >>> Google on Wednesday said it had seen 50 times more searches on
    >>> Apple¼s iPhone than any other mobile handset, adding weight to the
    >>> group¹s confidence at being able to generate significant revenues
    >>> from the mobile internet.
    >>>
    >>> ³We thought it was a mistake and made our engineers check the logs
    >>> again,² Vic Gundotra, head of Google¹s mobile operations told the
    >>> Financial Times at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
    >>>

    >>> Speaking of the iPhone, there were some predictions here that it would
    >>> not generate much interest in the UK, because UK users would not be
    >>> interested in anything less than 3G networking. Apparently, that was
    >>> not correct:
    >>>
    >>> The iPhone is generating "unheard-of levels of mobile Internet
    >>> usage," according to Vivek Dev, COO of Telefónica O2 Europe, the
    >>> sole carrier of the device in the United Kingdom. Web browsing and
    >>> e-mail are two of the primary purposes of the iPhone, and O2
    >>> customers have unlimited use under current plans. Traffic is said to
    >>> be so high in fact that it is straining O2's network, and this is
    >>> only expected to become worse as the company switches to flat data
    >>> fees. Voice and SMS plans were recently upgraded.
    >>>

    >>> BTW, remember those "missing" iPhones? Some said that the difference
    >>> between Apple's numbers and AT&T's numbers showed that a lot of iPhones
    >>> were just sitting on the shelves in AT&T stores. Well, a big chunk of
    >>> the difference has turned up. China Moblie says there are 400k unlocked
    >>> iPhones on their network:
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.intomobile.com/2008/02/21...es-in-china.ht
    >>> ml>

    >> And remember the hate and venum spewed in COLA when the iPhone was
    >> released?
    >> Remember Kelsey's retarded remark about who needs a phonebook with 10,00
    >> entries or something like that.

    > Seriously : he wondered who needed 10000000000 phone numbers and acted
    > all "typical bloatware". I was genuinely shocked. He really didn't have
    > a CLUE what the iPhone could do. Played with one the other day. The UI
    > really is something to behold - it is beautifully done. And works.

    My neighbor has one and I gave it a whirl the day it was released.
    Very impressive indeed and it works just like the TV commercials suggest.

    Like snit says, the UI is EVERYTHING.
    You can have the greatest programs, but if they look ugly and are difficult
    to use, people will not use them and go elsewhere.

    Except true geeks of course.
    They like the command line.

    I've always wondered how they do graphics design or music or video...
    Oh well, those things aren't important to a geek.
    It's all about vi vs emacs and compilers.

    > The best comment was when that degree kid who apparently supports SW
    > piracy suggested that its better to have all different devices "in case"
    > ... (I have to stop here to chuckle ).... "In case, you get
    > mugged"........
    >
    > ROTFLM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    That was hysterical!
    All I could see was a chain with 8 different devices tethered to it
    rattling around.

    >> Remember the predictions by the COLA nuts that the iPhone was an overpriced
    >> fad and it would die.
    >> *snip*
    >> BTW where are all of those Linux based iPhone killers we keep hearing
    >> about?

    > YOu mean this?
    >
    > http://englishrussia.com/images/cellular1.jpg
    >
    > I believe it was part of Roy's third year project.
    >
    > (hurting with laughter at this point)

    You're killing me!!
    Cafe almost hit the keyboard on that one!

    Do you think Mark Kent might have helped Roy Schestowitz out with that one?

    It sure looks like a Linux powered device to me.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    news:1w8fq8e8fd0w6$.10i34gaphscjx$.dlg@40tude.net. ..
    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:33:25 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> And remember the hate and venum spewed in COLA when the iPhone was
    >>> released?
    >>> Remember Kelsey's retarded remark about who needs a phonebook with 10,00
    >>> entries or something like that.

    >> Seriously : he wondered who needed 10000000000 phone numbers and acted
    >> all "typical bloatware". I was genuinely shocked. He really didn't have
    >> a CLUE what the iPhone could do. Played with one the other day. The UI
    >> really is something to behold - it is beautifully done. And works.

    > My neighbor has one and I gave it a whirl the day it was released.
    > Very impressive indeed and it works just like the TV commercials suggest.
    >
    > Like snit says, the UI is EVERYTHING.
    > You can have the greatest programs, but if they look ugly and are
    > difficult
    > to use, people will not use them and go elsewhere.
    >
    > Except true geeks of course.
    > They like the command line.
    >
    > I've always wondered how they do graphics design or music or video...
    > Oh well, those things aren't important to a geek.
    > It's all about vi vs emacs and compilers.
    >

    >> The best comment was when that degree kid who apparently supports SW
    >> piracy suggested that its better to have all different devices "in case"
    >> ... (I have to stop here to chuckle ).... "In case, you get
    >> mugged"........
    >>
    >> ROTFLM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > That was hysterical!
    > All I could see was a chain with 8 different devices tethered to it
    > rattling around.
    >

    >>> Remember the predictions by the COLA nuts that the iPhone was an
    >>> overpriced
    >>> fad and it would die.
    >>> *snip*
    >>> BTW where are all of those Linux based iPhone killers we keep hearing
    >>> about?

    >> YOu mean this?
    >>
    >> http://englishrussia.com/images/cellular1.jpg
    >>
    >> I believe it was part of Roy's third year project.
    >>
    >> (hurting with laughter at this point)

    > You're killing me!!
    > Cafe almost hit the keyboard on that one!
    >
    > Do you think Mark Kent might have helped Roy Schestowitz out with that
    > one?
    >
    > It sure looks like a Linux powered device to me.

    I posted last week to Eric F. that I have (and love) an iPod touch. It's
    basically the same thing as the iPhone but without the phone or the camera.
    It's also much thinner and lighter than the iPhone.

    I absolutely love it. I bought it because a friend at work got one and after
    I saw how slick/cool/awesome/amazing the UI is on it I just had to get one.
    I didn't need the phone so I bought the iPod touch. No regrets or looking
    back at what else I 'could have bought' because this is one amazing device.

    EVERYONE who's seen it is blown away by the UI. Apple certainly knows how to
    make products that appeal to customers. Linux folk on the other hand seem to
    be more interested in making products that appeal to people who like having
    20 different editors or to idiots... like the $200 VGA card with 16-megs of
    memory.

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    "Moshe Goldfarb" stated in post
    1w8fq8e8fd0w6$.10i34gaphscjx$.dlg@40tude.net on 2/25/08 10:00 AM:

    >>> And remember the hate and venum spewed in COLA when the iPhone was
    >>> released?
    >>> Remember Kelsey's retarded remark about who needs a phonebook with 10,00
    >>> entries or something like that.

    >> Seriously : he wondered who needed 10000000000 phone numbers and acted
    >> all "typical bloatware". I was genuinely shocked. He really didn't have
    >> a CLUE what the iPhone could do. Played with one the other day. The UI
    >> really is something to behold - it is beautifully done. And works.

    > My neighbor has one and I gave it a whirl the day it was released.
    > Very impressive indeed and it works just like the TV commercials suggest.
    >
    > Like snit says, the UI is EVERYTHING.

    Well, a bit of an exaggeration... even if you have the best UI in the world
    if the system, for example, crashes a lot then you have a big problem...
    and, compared to modern computers, the old Mac did crash a lot. Apple took
    a while to fix this problem.

    But your comment is, of course, hyperbole: there is no doubt the UI and the
    rest of the user experience are the most important things about a tool.
    The feature set is a *subset* of the user experience... something many in
    COLA (and many outside of it, too), miss. Apple - for the most part - gets
    that.

    > You can have the greatest programs, but if they look ugly and are difficult
    > to use, people will not use them and go elsewhere.

    Exactly... if there is an option to have an easier to use or even just more
    attractive option people will generally use it instead of a system that is
    grossly inconsistent (like PCLOS) or looks like it was designed by blind sea
    monkeys (Ubuntu).

    > Except true geeks of course.
    > They like the command line.

    And value freedom and configurability and the philosophy behind the software
    more than actually getting work done.

    > I've always wondered how they do graphics design or music or video...
    > Oh well, those things aren't important to a geek.
    > It's all about vi vs emacs and compilers.

    I prefer vi.

    --
    Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all

  13. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:33:25 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >> YOu mean this?
    >>
    >> http://englishrussia.com/images/cellular1.jpg
    >>
    >> I believe it was part of Roy's third year project.
    >>
    >> (hurting with laughter at this point)

    > You're killing me!!
    > Cafe almost hit the keyboard on that one!

    LOL. I just looked again. Tears of laughter streaming down my cheeks.

    > Do you think Mark Kent might have helped Roy Schestowitz out with that
    > one?

    I can imagine Mark would think this "practical" (less likely to lose I
    daresay).

    > It sure looks like a Linux powered device to me.

    ROTFLM.

    Must ... get ... tissues .....

  14. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:05:33 -0500, Troy Kirkland wrote:

    > I posted last week to Eric F. that I have (and love) an iPod touch. It's
    > basically the same thing as the iPhone but without the phone or the camera.
    > It's also much thinner and lighter than the iPhone.
    >
    > I absolutely love it. I bought it because a friend at work got one and after
    > I saw how slick/cool/awesome/amazing the UI is on it I just had to get one.
    > I didn't need the phone so I bought the iPod touch. No regrets or looking
    > back at what else I 'could have bought' because this is one amazing device.
    >
    > EVERYONE who's seen it is blown away by the UI. Apple certainly knows how to
    > make products that appeal to customers. Linux folk on the other hand seem to
    > be more interested in making products that appeal to people who like having
    > 20 different editors or to idiots... like the $200 VGA card with 16-megs of
    > memory.

    I'm thinking of buying one of those myself.
    My Creative Zen Vision M is a POS.

    Have you had any troubles with it?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    news:gob2q0ij6oo6$.1dfdfiqfzpk9f$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:05:33 -0500, Troy Kirkland wrote:
    >

    >> I posted last week to Eric F. that I have (and love) an iPod touch. It's
    >> basically the same thing as the iPhone but without the phone or the
    >> camera.
    >> It's also much thinner and lighter than the iPhone.
    >>
    >> I absolutely love it. I bought it because a friend at work got one and
    >> after
    >> I saw how slick/cool/awesome/amazing the UI is on it I just had to get
    >> one.
    >> I didn't need the phone so I bought the iPod touch. No regrets or looking
    >> back at what else I 'could have bought' because this is one amazing
    >> device.
    >>
    >> EVERYONE who's seen it is blown away by the UI. Apple certainly knows how
    >> make products that appeal to customers. Linux folk on the other hand seem
    >> be more interested in making products that appeal to people who like
    >> having
    >> 20 different editors or to idiots... like the $200 VGA card with 16-megs
    >> of
    >> memory.

    > I'm thinking of buying one of those myself.
    > My Creative Zen Vision M is a POS.

    Go for it and make the plunge. I was never an "Apple Guy" but the iPod touch
    is the coolest gadget I've ever seen.

    > Have you had any troubles with it?

    None. My girlfriend thought the touch-screen might scratch easily but check
    YouTube for some of the insane things that people do to the screen and it
    resists everything.

    The wireless utility connects to my secure router very quickly. I wish my
    laptop could connect that fast.

    Apple is supposed to release the SDK to the iPod Touch/iPhone this month
    which should create a HUGE amount of 3rd party software.

    My only complaint is that it'll only play QuickTime videos. Not a problem
    since I can easily transcode to this format but it would be nice if it could
    play different formats natively. I imagine this will happen in the next few
    months.

    Otherwise it is an absolutely gorgeous unit. I think it looks better than
    the iPhone because it's thinner and doesn't have the silver metal band
    around the edge. I was on the train last weekend and pulled it out to listen
    to some music (it is an iPod after all) and the person next to me wanted to
    see it. Then the person next to them had to see it too. Before long there
    were like 5-6 people all around me saying "Cool" and "Whoaa". One of the
    guys looked like an NFL linebacker. I was somewhat relieved that I didn't
    get mugged when I finally had to get off the train. He was one big dude that
    was definitely impressed by the thing.

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Wow...interesting stats on mobile internet usage

    Thanks for the review!
    It's on my short list..

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb