Web services via httpd - Linux

This is a discussion on Web services via httpd - Linux ; Can it be done _without_ Java?...

  1. Web services via httpd

    Can it be done _without_ Java?

  2. Re: Web services via httpd

    nostradumbass77@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Can it be done _without_ Java?

    Do you mean: Can you run a web server without Java?
    If so, then yes of course you can.

    I recommend thttpd.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  3. Re: Web services via httpd

    Yes, I use Hunchentoot ( http://www.weitz.de/hunchentoot/ ).

    --
    Lars Rune Nøstdal
    http://nostdal.org/

  4. Re: Web services via httpd

    On Feb 26, 1:53 am, "Lars Rune Nøstdal" wrote:
    > On Feb 24, 2:13 pm, nostradumbas...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > Can it be done _without_ Java?

    > Yes, I use Hunchentoot (http://www.weitz.de/hunchentoot/).
    >
    > --
    > Lars Rune Nøstdalhttp://nostdal.org/

    I really meant 'web service' and not 'web server', that is a web
    application that runs on a web server and services requests to clients
    - which may be either other web services or binary applications.

    Look at:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/we...ces/standards/
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-wsif.html
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/we...rary/ws-wsif2/

    I need to build a web service application, I am wondering if PHP can
    be used reliably because I have good familiarity with that language
    (as opposed to Java). Again, I am talking about the architecture on
    the server side.

    I just need an overall picture of the solution if anyone has done
    something like this before.

  5. Re: Web services via httpd

    Hi,

    > I need to build a web service application, I am wondering if PHP can
    > be used reliably because I have good familiarity with that language
    > (as opposed to Java). Again, I am talking about the architecture on
    > the server side.

    "Web services" are not a new concept, nor are they linked in any way to
    Java - although many (even competent) people think so.

    Just search for unix man pages on the web - there are several servers.
    The viewing is not static html but usually a CGI application with web
    frontend.

    Have a look at the "CGI-BIN" concept, you can link any application into
    classical web-servers, no matter what language they're written in.

    > I just need an overall picture of the solution if anyone has done
    > something like this before.

    Example:

    Network -> Apache Web Server (not Tomcat) -> CGI interface -> your program

    Your program communicates with Apache using stdin and stdout as well as
    environment vaiables. It's all documented ;-)

    PHP is just a variant of that system, although it bypasses the CGI
    interface by linking directly into Apache and thus providing more
    comfort and performance (which it sacrifices to the scripting engine).

    Before everybody started writing "Web apps", PHP+Apache+MySQL was "THE
    WAY", so there is nothing wrong with it, it's just not "trendy"...

    I hope to have answered your questions ;-)

  6. Re: Web services via httpd

    On Feb 26, 3:18 pm, Bernhard Agthe wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > > I need to build a web service application, I am wondering if PHP can
    > > be used reliably because I have good familiarity with that language
    > > (as opposed to Java). Again, I am talking about the architecture on
    > > the server side.

    > "Web services" are not a new concept, nor are they linked in any way to
    > Java - although many (even competent) people think so.
    >
    > Just search for unix man pages on the web - there are several servers.
    > The viewing is not static html but usually a CGI application with web
    > frontend.
    >
    > Have a look at the "CGI-BIN" concept, you can link any application into
    > classical web-servers, no matter what language they're written in.
    >
    > > I just need an overall picture of the solution if anyone has done
    > > something like this before.

    > Example:
    >
    > Network -> Apache Web Server (not Tomcat) -> CGI interface -> your program
    >
    > Your program communicates with Apache using stdin and stdout as well as
    > environment vaiables. It's all documented ;-)
    >
    > PHP is just a variant of that system, although it bypasses the CGI
    > interface by linking directly into Apache and thus providing more
    > comfort and performance (which it sacrifices to the scripting engine).
    >
    > Before everybody started writing "Web apps", PHP+Apache+MySQL was "THE
    > WAY", so there is nothing wrong with it, it's just not "trendy"...
    >
    > I hope to have answered your questions ;-)

    Yes, that was very helpful. Thank you. Indeed I did a Google search
    for "web services with php" and got a lot of helpful links relating
    exactly to what you mention and that I need.

    I discovered the XML-RPC extension of PHP at http://www.xmlrpc.com/.
    Now to get started developing some web enabled apps ;-)

+ Reply to Thread