Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing...... - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing...... - Linux ; In article , Charlie Wilkes wrote: > > Well, the fact that Asus sells a Windows version right now in Japan, and > > has stated that they will release it in the US, are some big clues. > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

  1. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing......

    In article ,
    Charlie Wilkes wrote:
    > > Well, the fact that Asus sells a Windows version right now in Japan, and
    > > has stated that they will release it in the US, are some big clues.
    > >
    > > XP easily fits on a 4 gig system.
    > >

    > Sure... get rid of the hibernation file, minimize restore points, make
    > sure you delete all the crap generated by Windows update... it can be
    > made to work with a bit of effort. Or you can run a Linux distro

    Nonsense. I checked my XP SP2 machine that I use for testing, and it is
    using under 2 gig for Windows. I put no special effort into making it
    small.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  2. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing......

    When you pay $900 for a hammer, all your problems start to look like nails.

  3. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes?A Pattern Is Developing......

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 04:18:21 GMT, Charlie Wilkes wrote:

    >>> It is.
    >>> Most people are wiping Linux and installing Windows on it though and
    >>> Asus is releasing a Windows version shortly.

    >> Bah. Where do you get this information? What version of Windows fits on
    >> a 4gb flash drive? And what is the payoff?
    >>
    >> Charlie

    > It's all over the net.
    > Open your mind and you might find it.
    >
    > http://www.mahalo.com/Installing_Win...on_Asus_Eee_PC
    >
    > http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/ins...usb-thumb.html
    >
    > and so forth....

    Did you actually read the procedure? It might be a bit daunting for a
    windows user used to point and click. Also, considering the original
    cost of the unit and then adding in the cost of xp, one might as well
    buy a low end laptop from best buy. I just find it highly doubtful that
    it is "most people" wiping linux and installing xp. ymmv.

    --
    norm

  4. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing......

    "Jim Richardson" wrote in message

    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:32:30 -0800,
    > Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> Sure... get rid of the hibernation file, minimize restore points, make
    >>> sure you delete all the crap generated by Windows update... it can be
    >>> made to work with a bit of effort. Or you can run a Linux distro

    >> Nonsense. I checked my XP SP2 machine that I use for testing, and it is
    >> using under 2 gig for Windows. I put no special effort into making it
    >> small.
    >>

    > Does that include office?

    Do you have any idea how big office even is? I have Office 2K on this
    machine.

    248 files. 20 folders for a total of 83,729,875 bytes.

    Office XP is a little bigger:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285342

    Available Hard Disk Space
    The following table shows the default amount of space required for each
    edition of Office.
    Edition Approximate Disk Space Requirements*
    Standard 191 MB

    Professional 230 MB

    Professional 276 MB
    with FrontPage
    So yeah... with the 4-Gigs of free space installing 200-Megs of Office
    software isn't going to break the bank.Still better than the bloatware of
    OpenOffice:http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/s..._20.htmlSystem
    Requirements for OpenOffice.org 2At least 800 Mbytes available disk space
    for a default install (including a JRE) via download. After installation and
    deletion of temporary installation files, OpenOffice.org will use
    approximately 440 Mbytes disk space.

    > --
    > Jim Richardson http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
    > When you pay $900 for a hammer, all your problems start to look like
    > nails.

  5. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing......

    "Troy Kirkland" writes:

    > "Jim Richardson" wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:32:30 -0800,
    >> Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> Nonsense. I checked my XP SP2 machine that I use for testing, and it is
    >>> using under 2 gig for Windows. I put no special effort into making it
    >>> small.
    >>>

    >> Does that include office?

    > Do you have any idea how big office even is? I have Office 2K on this
    > machine.
    >
    > 248 files. 20 folders for a total of 83,729,875 bytes.
    >
    > Office XP is a little bigger:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285342
    >
    > Available Hard Disk Space
    > The following table shows the default amount of space required for each
    > edition of Office.
    > Edition Approximate Disk Space Requirements*
    > Standard 191 MB
    >
    > Professional 230 MB
    >
    > Professional 276 MB
    > with FrontPage
    > So yeah... with the 4-Gigs of free space installing 200-Megs of Office
    > software isn't going to break the bank.Still better than the bloatware of
    > OpenOffice:http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/s..._20.htmlSystem
    > Requirements for OpenOffice.org 2At least 800 Mbytes available disk space
    > for a default install (including a JRE) via download. After installation and
    > deletion of temporary installation files, OpenOffice.org will use
    > approximately 440 Mbytes disk space.

    Wow. Where's Jim and Liarnut now? I wont bother to post the msgid of
    Liarnut's "shrug, I dont think so buddy", but as usual he was making
    things up with little, if any, knowledge of the subject OR the thread in
    hand. A typical "new" Liarnut tactic.

  6. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing......

    norm wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Bah. Where do you get this information? What version of Windows fits
    >>> on
    >>> a 4gb flash drive? And what is the payoff?
    >>>
    >>> Charlie

    >> It's all over the net.
    >> Open your mind and you might find it.
    >>
    >> http://www.mahalo.com/Installing_Win...on_Asus_Eee_PC

    http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/ins...usb-thumb.html

    >> and so forth....
    >>

    > Did you actually read the procedure? It might be a bit daunting for a
    > windows user used to point and click. Also, considering the original
    > cost of the unit and then adding in the cost of xp, one might as well
    > buy a low end laptop from best buy. I just find it highly doubtful that
    > it is "most people" wiping linux and installing xp. ymmv.

    All my friends that have laptops have done just the opposite. They've wiped
    Windoze off and installed Linux. That isn't a big sampling of course, but I
    would find it hard to believe that there would be that many people running
    the EeePC who'd want to do anything with it, other than installing a
    different Linux distro on it, then the one that it comes with. Even those
    folks running the old Jornada 720's are putting Linux on them and that is
    certainly the distant prelude to the EeePC. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.

    Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

    Frank, hard at work on his Vista computer all day:
    http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...tm/compost.htm

  7. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing......

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:20:51 -0500, Troy Kirkland wrote:

    > "Jim Richardson" wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:32:30 -0800,
    >> Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> Nonsense. I checked my XP SP2 machine that I use for testing, and it is
    >>> using under 2 gig for Windows. I put no special effort into making it
    >>> small.
    >>>

    >> Does that include office?

    > Do you have any idea how big office even is? I have Office 2K on this
    > machine.
    >
    > 248 files. 20 folders for a total of 83,729,875 bytes.
    >
    > Office XP is a little bigger:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285342
    >
    > Available Hard Disk Space
    > The following table shows the default amount of space required for each
    > edition of Office.
    > Edition Approximate Disk Space Requirements*
    > Standard 191 MB
    >
    > Professional 230 MB
    >
    > Professional 276 MB
    > with FrontPage

    On my system I have Microsoft Office XP Professional installed, no
    Frontpage but Word, Excel, Powerpoint, MSOffice Tools and according to
    Control Panel it is a whopping 147MB.

    Seeing as my hard disk is over 400GB I'm not worried.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing......

    * norm peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.mahalo.com/Installing_Win...on_Asus_Eee_PC
    >>
    >> and so forth....
    >>

    > Did you actually read the procedure? It might be a bit daunting for a
    > windows user used to point and click. Also, considering the original
    > cost of the unit and then adding in the cost of xp, one might as well
    > buy a low end laptop from best buy. I just find it highly doubtful that
    > it is "most people" wiping linux and installing xp. ymmv.

    Not on the Eee PC. Some have done it; Tom Shelton here saw one.

    I wouldn't waste my time on installing XP on it.

    --
    As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower
    others.

  9. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing......

    In article ,
    Jim Richardson wrote:
    > > Nonsense. I checked my XP SP2 machine that I use for testing, and it is
    > > using under 2 gig for Windows. I put no special effort into making it
    > > small.
    > >

    > Does that include office?

    I don't have Office on there. OpenOffice, though, takes up around 300
    MB, so XP + OpenOffice would easily fit in well under 4 gig. From what
    others have said here, and on the web, Office and OpenOffice are not too
    far apart in size, so I'd expect Office + XP to fit.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  10. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? APattern Is Developing......

    On Feb 25, 4:32 pm, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Charlie Wilkes wrote:
    >
    > > > Well, the fact that Asus sells a Windows version right now in Japan, and
    > > > has stated that they will release it in the US, are some big clues.

    > > > XP easily fits on a 4 gig system.

    > > Sure... get rid of the hibernation file, minimize restore points, make
    > > sure you delete all the crap generated by Windows update... it can be
    > > made to work with a bit of effort. Or you can run a Linux distro

    > Nonsense. I checked my XP SP2 machine that I use for testing, and it is
    > using under 2 gig for Windows. I put no special effort into making it
    > small.
    >
    > --
    > --Tim Smith

    Are you going just by the size of the windows directory and its
    subdirectories, or are you also including your restore points and the
    hibernation file if you use one?

    I accept that it's possible, but it's enough of a project so I don't
    see it as something the average consumer will do because he wets his
    pants when he hears the word Linux. I also suspect that use of this
    altered machine might present performance and stability issues with
    500mb of RAM and < 2gb of drive available for temp files.

    Charlie

  11. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing......

    In article
    ,
    charlie_wilkes@users.easynews.com wrote:
    > Are you going just by the size of the windows directory and its
    > subdirectories, or are you also including your restore points and the
    > hibernation file if you use one?
    >
    > I accept that it's possible, but it's enough of a project so I don't
    > see it as something the average consumer will do because he wets his
    > pants when he hears the word Linux. I also suspect that use of this
    > altered machine might present performance and stability issues with
    > 500mb of RAM and < 2gb of drive available for temp files.

    Installing XP SP2 on a machine with a single 4 GB drive, rebooting once
    after install, and then using Internet Explorer to browse a web page (to
    make sure that the internet access is working), and then checking the
    disk space, shows that 2.12 GB are used.

    During the install, I let everything take its default value.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  12. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing......

    > In article
    > ,
    > charlie_wilkes@users.easynews.com wrote:
    >> Are you going just by the size of the windows directory and its
    >> subdirectories, or are you also including your restore points and the
    >> hibernation file if you use one?
    >>
    >> I accept that it's possible, but it's enough of a project so I don't
    >> see it as something the average consumer will do because he wets his
    >> pants when he hears the word Linux. I also suspect that use of this
    >> altered machine might present performance and stability issues with
    >> 500mb of RAM and < 2gb of drive available for temp files.

    > Installing XP SP2 on a machine with a single 4 GB drive, rebooting once
    > after install, and then using Internet Explorer to browse a web page (to
    > make sure that the internet access is working), and then checking the
    > disk space, shows that 2.12 GB are used.
    >
    > During the install, I let everything take its default value.

    You might be able to pare down your Visual Studio .NET install to fit,
    and have some room for a "Hello World" project, then.

    Competition is good!

    --
    Microsoft has had clear competitors in the past. It's a good thing we have
    museums to document that.

  13. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing......

    Linonut writes:

    > * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In article
    >> ,
    >> charlie_wilkes@users.easynews.com wrote:
    >>> Are you going just by the size of the windows directory and its
    >>> subdirectories, or are you also including your restore points and the
    >>> hibernation file if you use one?
    >>>
    >>> I accept that it's possible, but it's enough of a project so I don't
    >>> see it as something the average consumer will do because he wets his
    >>> pants when he hears the word Linux. I also suspect that use of this
    >>> altered machine might present performance and stability issues with
    >>> 500mb of RAM and < 2gb of drive available for temp files.

    >> Installing XP SP2 on a machine with a single 4 GB drive, rebooting once
    >> after install, and then using Internet Explorer to browse a web page (to
    >> make sure that the internet access is working), and then checking the
    >> disk space, shows that 2.12 GB are used.
    >>
    >> During the install, I let everything take its default value.

    > You might be able to pare down your Visual Studio .NET install to fit,
    > and have some room for a "Hello World" project, then.
    >
    > Competition is good!

    Err, a while ago this was a machine for doing email and browsing the
    web. Nice strawman Liarnut.

  14. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing......

    Troy Kirkland wrote:

    > "Jim Richardson" wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:32:30 -0800,
    >> Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> Nonsense. I checked my XP SP2 machine that I use for testing, and it is
    >>> using under 2 gig for Windows. I put no special effort into making it
    >>> small.
    >>>

    >> Does that include office?

    > Do you have any idea how big office even is? I have Office 2K on this
    > machine.

    No I don't. Hence the question. I don't need, or use MS-Office.

    > 248 files. 20 folders for a total of 83,729,875 bytes.
    >
    > Office XP is a little bigger:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285342
    >
    > Available Hard Disk Space
    > The following table shows the default amount of space required for each
    > edition of Office.
    > Edition Approximate Disk Space Requirements*
    > Standard 191 MB
    >
    > Professional 230 MB
    >
    > Professional 276 MB
    > with FrontPage
    > So yeah... with the 4-Gigs of free space installing 200-Megs of Office
    > software isn't going to break the bank.Still better than the bloatware of
    > OpenOffice:http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/s..._20.htmlSystem
    > Requirements for OpenOffice.org 2At least 800 Mbytes available disk space
    > for a default install (including a JRE) via download. After installation and
    > deletion of temporary installation files, OpenOffice.org will use
    > approximately 440 Mbytes disk space.

    You don't have 4GB of free space,you have maybe 2.

    Unless you think XP takes up Zero bytes of room?

    "We have captured lightning and used it to teach sand how to think."

  15. Re: Everex Cloudbook...Another Linux Laptop Gone Down the Tubes? A Pattern Is Developing......

    * Jim Richardson peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Does that include office?

    >> Do you have any idea how big office even is? I have Office 2K on this
    >> machine.

    > No I don't. Hence the question. I don't need, or use MS-Office.
    >
    >> 248 files. 20 folders for a total of 83,729,875 bytes.
    >>
    >> Office XP is a little bigger:
    >> The following table shows the default amount of space required for each
    >> edition of Office.
    >> Edition Approximate Disk Space Requirements*
    >> Standard 191 MB
    >> Professional 230 MB
    >> Professional 276 MB
    >> with FrontPage

    >> After installation and
    >> deletion of temporary installation files, OpenOffice.org will use
    >> approximately 440 Mbytes disk space.

    $ du -ms /usr/lib/openoffice
    239 /usr/lib/openoffice/

    That's for OpenOffice 2.4 on Debian 32-bit.

    --
    Until we're educating every kid in a fantastic way, until every inner city
    is cleaned up, there is no shortage of things to do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2