PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS? - Linux

This is a discussion on PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS? - Linux ; I am looking for an everything-just-works non-purist distro that includes proprietary drivers (nvidia etc.), browser plugins (flash, java, pdf, movie playing), dvd and mp3 codecs etc. in their repositories. It would be nice if it has a large community and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    I am looking for an everything-just-works non-purist distro that
    includes proprietary drivers (nvidia etc.), browser plugins (flash,
    java, pdf, movie playing), dvd and mp3 codecs etc. in their
    repositories.

    It would be nice if it has a large community and if it uses (or could
    easily use) the package repository of some major distro (e.g. Ubuntu
    or Debian).

    Which should I choose?
    PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS? Something else?

    /David

  2. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 02:59:57 -0700, pinkfloydhomer@gmail.com wrote:

    > I am looking for an everything-just-works non-purist distro that
    > includes proprietary drivers (nvidia etc.), browser plugins (flash,
    > java, pdf, movie playing), dvd and mp3 codecs etc. in their
    > repositories.
    >
    > It would be nice if it has a large community and if it uses (or could
    > easily use) the package repository of some major distro (e.g. Ubuntu
    > or Debian).
    >
    > Which should I choose?
    > PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS? Something else?
    >
    > /David

    How much hard disk space do you have? You could quite easily install them
    all. Or try one at a time - possibly in concert with what you're using
    now. Dual/multi boots are quite easy to set up. And, what 'just works' for
    you may not 'just work' for someone else with different needs or different
    hardware. I'd really encourage you to try them all. It should not take
    more than a day or two to assess the feasibility of each one.

  3. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 02:59:57 -0700, pinkfloydhomer@gmail.com wrote:

    > I am looking for an everything-just-works non-purist distro that
    > includes proprietary drivers (nvidia etc.), browser plugins (flash,
    > java, pdf, movie playing), dvd and mp3 codecs etc. in their
    > repositories.
    >
    > It would be nice if it has a large community and if it uses (or could
    > easily use) the package repository of some major distro (e.g. Ubuntu
    > or Debian).
    >
    > Which should I choose?
    > PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS? Something else?

    Linux Mint is probably the best choose, IMO. It's basically Ubuntu with
    enhancements.

    --
    Kier

  4. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    wrote in message
    news:1189936797.749324.257770@n39g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    >I am looking for an everything-just-works non-purist distro that
    > includes proprietary drivers (nvidia etc.), browser plugins (flash,
    > java, pdf, movie playing), dvd and mp3 codecs etc. in their
    > repositories.
    >
    > It would be nice if it has a large community and if it uses (or could
    > easily use) the package repository of some major distro (e.g. Ubuntu
    > or Debian).
    >
    > Which should I choose?
    > PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS? Something else?
    >
    > /David

    It's a matter of opinion, of course, but I find that PCLOS is the bee's
    knees. It does all that you ask and is an easy install from the desktop of
    the live cd. You could download each as a live cd and try them out to see
    which suits you and your hardware best. JG

  5. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 02:59:57 -0700, pinkfloydhomer@gmail.com wrote:

    > I am looking for an everything-just-works non-purist distro that
    > includes proprietary drivers (nvidia etc.), browser plugins (flash,
    > java, pdf, movie playing), dvd and mp3 codecs etc. in their
    > repositories.
    >
    > It would be nice if it has a large community and if it uses (or could
    > easily use) the package repository of some major distro (e.g. Ubuntu or
    > Debian).
    >
    > Which should I choose?
    > PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS? Something else?
    >
    > /David

    Of the above, I have only used PCLinuxOS, but I have used Suse, Red Hat,
    Fedora and Mandrake (not Mandriva). I find PCLinuxOS to be extremely user
    friendly. My one big nit is the placement of the DNS designator in the
    Control Panel. But then, nothing's perfect :-)

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 02:59:57 -0700, pinkfloydhomer@gmail.com wrote:

    > I am looking for an everything-just-works non-purist distro that
    > includes proprietary drivers (nvidia etc.), browser plugins (flash,
    > java, pdf, movie playing), dvd and mp3 codecs etc. in their
    > repositories.
    >
    > It would be nice if it has a large community and if it uses (or could
    > easily use) the package repository of some major distro (e.g. Ubuntu or
    > Debian).
    >
    > Which should I choose?
    > PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS? Something else?

    I'm not sure, but isn't Ubuntu with universe and multiverse repositories
    enabled just that?

    --
    Krzysztof Lubanski

  7. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    Kier wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 02:59:57 -0700, pinkfloydhomer@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for an everything-just-works non-purist distro that
    >> includes proprietary drivers (nvidia etc.), browser plugins (flash,
    >> java, pdf, movie playing), dvd and mp3 codecs etc. in their
    >> repositories.
    >>
    >> It would be nice if it has a large community and if it uses (or could
    >> easily use) the package repository of some major distro (e.g. Ubuntu
    >> or Debian).
    >>
    >> Which should I choose?
    >> PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS? Something else?

    > Linux Mint is probably the best choose, IMO. It's basically Ubuntu with
    > enhancements.

    The SimplyMepis 6.5 is using many repositories, including Ubuntu ones,
    and is a Debian based distro, also. Talk on it's home page is that it
    might migrate in a future release.

    I avoided FreeSpire so far, because of the controversy Linspire caused
    during the starting years, locking up it's repositories, not
    distributing it's source...

    So those are all things to consider, in your choice. Also, look at
    longevity, or not. Else, you might find it necessary to change distros.

    That has been my experience. Started with TurboLinux, then RH,
    Mandrake, Bearops, libranet, lycoris, Slack, slax, Whax, Frenzy,
    FreeBSD, Kubuntu, Debian Sarge, dozens of others, then PCLinuxos, all on
    AMD systems,

    On my Intel P4, it was FC6, then, FC7.

    Running Mepis 64 bit, on my AMD AM2, here.

    Reason for switches were sometimes that the newer kernel was offered in
    another distro, or a major new update was created that handled hardware
    better, like, over in *BSD. Or, a certain distro repository offered
    more goodies.

    As a tool user, I tend to jump to the OS that manages the tool set the
    best. YMMV. I have dozens of systems of all vintages, and different
    hardware platforms, from ARM9, PowerPC, DEC Alpha, to IntelX86 (i386 of
    1986, to i686 32bit, plus 64 bit).

    If you use lots of gadgets, tablets, graphics pads, wifi, USB, network
    tools, you might do similarly.

    Once you learn the 'Nix file system, comprehend a kernel, and are able a
    using most added features and control commands, they are all similar,
    and the desktop environment features are the things that are different.

    It becomes easy to jump from FreeBSD over to Mepis, and back to Frenzy,
    and over to FrieSBIE, and then, to full Debian. Why limit the choices?
    Learn about them all.

    All are available at http://livecdlist.com or http://distrowatch.com

  8. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:17:41 -0400, LinuxUser wrote:

    > The SimplyMepis 6.5 is using many repositories, including Ubuntu ones,
    > and is a Debian based distro, also. Talk on it's home page is that it
    > might migrate in a future release.

    It's gone back to Debian in the latest beta release.

    --
    Kier

  9. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    LinuxUser writes:

    > Kier wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 02:59:57 -0700, pinkfloydhomer@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am looking for an everything-just-works non-purist distro that
    >>> includes proprietary drivers (nvidia etc.), browser plugins (flash,
    >>> java, pdf, movie playing), dvd and mp3 codecs etc. in their
    >>> repositories.
    >>>
    >>> It would be nice if it has a large community and if it uses (or could
    >>> easily use) the package repository of some major distro (e.g. Ubuntu
    >>> or Debian).
    >>>
    >>> Which should I choose?
    >>> PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS? Something else?

    >> Linux Mint is probably the best choose, IMO. It's basically Ubuntu with
    >> enhancements.

    Linux Mint is a minority distro which sooner rather than later will be
    history. Go with Ubuntu feisty 7.04. It features the latest kernel,
    great support for video drivers and other proprietary drivers and has a
    wonderful help/support infrastructure. Having just jumped through hoops
    getting Debian Etch installed, i can really appreciate how much work the
    Ubuntu team has put in to dislodge the grumpy old mean of Linux who used
    to say "RTFM" and "works for me" when challenged about their ****ty
    installers.

  10. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 20:30:35 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > LinuxUser writes:
    >
    >> Kier wrote:

    >>> Linux Mint is probably the best choose, IMO. It's basically Ubuntu with
    >>> enhancements.
    >>>

    > Linux Mint is a minority distro which sooner rather than later will be
    > history. Go with Ubuntu feisty 7.04. It features the latest kernel,

    So, taking it upon yourself to pronounce on the fate of a distro you not
    only don't use, but have no knowledge of... I'm sure the developers of
    Linux Mint will be so glad to hear you diss their work and commitment.

    > great support for video drivers and other proprietary drivers and has a
    > wonderful help/support infrastructure. Having just jumped through hoops
    > getting Debian Etch installed, i can really appreciate how much work the
    > Ubuntu team has put in to dislodge the grumpy old mean of Linux who used
    > to say "RTFM" and "works for me" when challenged about their ****ty
    > installers.

    Debian's installer isn't '****ty'.

    And Ubuntu, briliant though it is, doesn't do what Mint does directly 'out
    of the box'.

    --
    Kier

  11. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    JFG wrote:

    >> Which should I choose?
    >> PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS? Something else?

    > It's a matter of opinion, of course, but I find that PCLOS is the bee's
    > knees.

    PCLOS is the best desktop OS on the planet!!!!@!@!@!@!@!12211Q

  12. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 16:14:01 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > JFG wrote:
    >
    >>> Which should I choose?
    >>> PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS? Something else?

    >> It's a matter of opinion, of course, but I find that PCLOS is the
    >> bee's knees.

    > PCLOS is the best desktop OS on the planet!!!!@!@!@!@!@!12211Q

    It is an excellent distro. I've installed it on several desktop PC's
    and laptops and HW detection has been perfect. Compiz / beryl support
    is fantastic.

    I've always liked the 3D effects but thought they were kind of
    gimmicky. Now I just love it. When I've a cluttered desktop just
    moving the pointer to the top right corner scales all windows so that
    they are all visible and clicking on the one I want brings it to the
    front.

    Switching desktops with the middle mouse button is just very cool
    and for me very productive.

    I prefer KDE and never got compiz/beryl working properly with it under
    kubuntu. With PCLOS it just works.

  13. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    "p5000011" wrote in message

    > >> It's a matter of opinion, of course, but I find that PCLOS is the
    > >> bee's knees.

    > > PCLOS is the best desktop OS on the planet!!!!@!@!@!@!@!12211Q

    > It is an excellent distro. I've installed it on several desktop PC's
    > and laptops and HW detection has been perfect. Compiz / beryl support
    > is fantastic.
    >
    > I've always liked the 3D effects but thought they were kind of
    > gimmicky. Now I just love it. When I've a cluttered desktop just
    > moving the pointer to the top right corner scales all windows so that
    > they are all visible and clicking on the one I want brings it to the
    > front.
    >
    > Switching desktops with the middle mouse button is just very cool
    > and for me very productive.
    >
    > I prefer KDE and never got compiz/beryl working properly with it under
    > kubuntu. With PCLOS it just works.

    I agree
    I recently wiped out my Vista installion and replaced it with PCLOS...
    though I still use win2k for quite a bit...
    PCLinuxOS is the best Linux distro I've ever used...
    and I've been using Linux (at least some of the time) since about 2000 or
    so.

  14. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    p5000011 writes:

    >>> It's a matter of opinion, of course, but I find that PCLOS is the
    >>> bee's knees.

    >> PCLOS is the best desktop OS on the planet!!!!@!@!@!@!@!12211Q

    > It is an excellent distro. I've installed it on several desktop PC's
    > and laptops and HW detection has been perfect. Compiz / beryl support
    > is fantastic.
    >
    > I've always liked the 3D effects but thought they were kind of
    > gimmicky. Now I just love it. When I've a cluttered desktop just
    > moving the pointer to the top right corner scales all windows so that
    > they are all visible and clicking on the one I want brings it to the
    > front.

    All this is available on all Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu too. Nothing PCLos
    about it at all.

    > Switching desktops with the middle mouse button is just very cool
    > and for me very productive.
    >
    > I prefer KDE and never got compiz/beryl working properly with it under
    > kubuntu. With PCLOS it just works.

    When was "never"? It works out of the box now. Another example of distro
    hell I guess.

    --
    For adult education nothing beats children.

  15. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    Hadron wrote:

    > All this is available on all Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu too. Nothing PCLos
    > about it at all.

    Did he was it was exclusive to PCLOS? Are you running out of trolling
    material?

  16. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    It was on, or about, Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:08:28 -0400, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> All this is available on all Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu too. Nothing PCLos
    >> about it at all.

    > Did he was it was exclusive to PCLOS? Are you running out of trolling
    > material?

    Bit lame wasn't it. However as Quack has reading & comprehension
    problems, it was hardly surprising.
    In another thread, I'll bet the idiot didn't even realise he'd *admitted*
    to trolling.

    --
    Quack admits to trolling: "Or are you trolling me back here?"
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:15:07

  17. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    On Sep 16, 5:59 am, "pinkfloydho...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > I am looking for an everything-just-works non-purist distro that
    > includes proprietary drivers (nvidia etc.), browser plugins (flash,
    > java, pdf, movie playing), dvd and mp3 codecs etc. in their
    > repositories.
    >
    > It would be nice if it has a large community and if it uses (or could
    > easily use) the package repository of some major distro (e.g. Ubuntu
    > or Debian).
    >
    > Which should I choose?
    > PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS? Something else?
    >
    > /David

    PCLinuxOS

  18. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> All this is available on all Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu too. Nothing PCLos
    >> about it at all.

    > Did he was it was exclusive to PCLOS? Are you running out of trolling
    > material?

    I am interested why he thinks it gives PCLOS an advantage. I keep asking
    "why this distro over that one" when some fanboi gets all moist over
    "what a great distro" x,y or z is and I never get an answer. A "feature"
    shared by ALL other distros is not, IMO, an advantage.

    You know the craic, "oh my god, DevilsSpawn 0.01x (alpha) REALLY
    rocks. It is SO snappy" etc. etc. etc. When asked to compare and contrast
    against, say, Ubuntu with XFCE they realise they are lost and wobble off
    to plot their next bit of "advocacy". Meanwhile the Linux distro
    situation becomes more and more fragmented and potential end users more
    and more confused.

    So, no. Just interested.

    --
    There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

  19. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    Hadron wrote:

    > I am interested why he thinks it gives PCLOS an advantage.

    He didn't say it did.

    Now comes the part where you say he "implied it" or whatever.

  20. Re: PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, FreeSpire or MEPIS?

    William Poaster wrote:

    > In another thread, I'll bet the idiot didn't even realise he'd admitted
    > to trolling.

    Oh, yeah. The bit about "are you trolling me back here?" LOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast