Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable - Linux ; "Microsoft's "significant" announcement on February 21 turns out to be not so significant at all. Microsoft is promising -- for the umpteenth time -- that it will share all the protocols and programming interfaces needed to allow interoperability between its ...

  1. Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable

    "Microsoft's "significant" announcement on February 21 turns out to be
    not so significant at all. Microsoft is promising -- for the umpteenth
    time -- that it will share all the protocols and programming interfaces
    needed to allow interoperability between its products and others."

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1207

    How can you tell that Microsoft is lying?

    -RFH

  2. Re: Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable

    ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Friday 22 February 2008 17:52 : \____

    > "Microsoft's "significant" announcement on February 21 turns out to be
    > not so significant at all. Microsoft is promising -- for the umpteenth
    > time -- that it will share all the protocols and programming interfaces
    > needed to allow interoperability between its products and others."
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1207
    >
    > How can you tell that Microsoft is lying?
    >
    > -RFH

    It's the media blitz on the eve of the BRM that discusses OOXML. They hyped it
    all up. A big, huge stinkin' heap of absolutely nothing at all...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    18:00:06 up 29 days, 3:54, 3 users, load average: 2.52, 1.51, 1.89

  3. Re: Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable

    * Ramon F Herrera peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "Microsoft's "significant" announcement on February 21 turns out to be
    > not so significant at all. Microsoft is promising -- for the umpteenth
    > time -- that it will share all the protocols and programming interfaces
    > needed to allow interoperability between its products and others."
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1207
    >
    > How can you tell that Microsoft is lying?

    Nobody is buying it. Well. Employees, maybe. Microsoft is once again
    promising interoperability and adherence to standards, but its own
    version of each. Interoperability that is safe only for noncommercial
    software excludes Microsoft's number one competitor, Linux. It is
    noncommercial and commercial, depending on who is using it. So, right
    there it tells you that this is a promise to do nothing that matters.

    Microsoft is currently being investigated by the EU Commission
    regarding the same two issues, interoperability and its behavior
    pushing MSOOXML as a "standard". This is a promise to remain
    incompatible with the GPL, as far as I can make out.

    Here's the response from the EU Commission. They totally get that
    this promise is insufficient. They've heard it before, at least four
    times. And it doesn't wipe the slate clean regarding past violations,
    even if they meant it. . . .

    --
    The Internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow.
    -- Bill Gates

  4. Re: Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:52:10 -0800, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > How can you tell that Microsoft is lying?

    Is this a trick question?

  5. Re: Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt

    wrote
    on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:15:42 -0600
    :
    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:52:10 -0800, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >
    >> How can you tell that Microsoft is lying?

    > Is this a trick question?

    Possible responses:

    A1: When Bill Gates opens his mouth.
    A2: One can't get down from a duck. One gets down from a goose.
    A3: To get to the other side.
    A4: When they declare a standard.
    A5: Next time, try five of them!
    A6: Silverlight? No, too stupid a fad. I put soot on th' Gilrev, Lis.
    A7: When Steve Ballmer opens *his* mouth.
    A8: Who?
    A9: And just where did you think you wanted to go today, young man/lady?
    A10: When it INNOVA~1.

    :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;

  6. Re: Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:13:56 UTC, Linonut
    wrote:

    -> * Ramon F Herrera peremptorily fired off this memo:
    ->
    -> > "Microsoft's "significant" announcement on February 21 turns out to be
    -> > not so significant at all. Microsoft is promising -- for the umpteenth
    -> > time -- that it will share all the protocols and programming interfaces
    -> > needed to allow interoperability between its products and others."
    -> >
    -> > http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1207
    -> >
    -> > How can you tell that Microsoft is lying?
    ->
    -> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...80221184924826
    ->
[...]

    Maybe m$ft is hoping that bush will be made king of the EC and then
    all these pesky investigations will go away like they did when he was
    made king of the USA.

    The only good micro$oft is a dead one.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.warpstock.eu

  7. Re: Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable

    alt did eloquently scribble:
    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:52:10 -0800, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    >> How can you tell that Microsoft is lying?

    > Is this a trick question?

    No, the answer is "They make a press release"
    for an individual it might be "they open their mouth" but for a company,
    press release it is.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  8. Re: Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable

    The Ghost In The Machine did eloquently scribble:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt
    >
    > wrote
    > on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:15:42 -0600
    > :
    >> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:52:10 -0800, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>
    >>> How can you tell that Microsoft is lying?

    >> Is this a trick question?

    > Possible responses:

    > A1: When Bill Gates opens his mouth.
    > A2: One can't get down from a duck. One gets down from a goose.

    Or a horse.

  9. Re: Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:52:10 -0800, Ramon F Herrera scribbled down:

    > "Microsoft's "significant" announcement on February 21 turns out to be
    > not so significant at all. Microsoft is promising -- for the umpteenth
    > time -- that it will share all the protocols and programming interfaces
    > needed to allow interoperability between its products and others."
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1207
    >
    > How can you tell that Microsoft is lying?
    >
    > -RFH

    Microsoft needs to do less "pledging" and do more steps to actually become
    interoperable. Actually adhering to web standards would be a good start.

    --
    Ubuntu Linux
    13:15:05 up 5 days, 15:42, 3 users, load average: 0.44, 0.25, 0.18

    You're a card which will have to be dealt with.

  10. Re: Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable

    Jon Nesbit writes:

    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:52:10 -0800, Ramon F Herrera scribbled down:
    >

    >> "Microsoft's "significant" announcement on February 21 turns out to be
    >> not so significant at all. Microsoft is promising -- for the umpteenth
    >> time -- that it will share all the protocols and programming interfaces
    >> needed to allow interoperability between its products and others."
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1207
    >>
    >> How can you tell that Microsoft is lying?
    >>
    >> -RFH

    > Microsoft needs to do less "pledging" and do more steps to actually become
    > interoperable. Actually adhering to web standards would be a good start.
    >

    > --
    > Ubuntu Linux
    > 13:15:05 up 5 days, 15:42, 3 users, load average: 0.44, 0.25, 0.18
    >
    > You're a card which will have to be dealt with.

    You're posting with a double signature. Also be aware that most COLA
    "advocates" filter out teranews since they see it as a source of idiots.

  11. Re: Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 19:54:20 +0100, Hadron scribbled down:

    > Jon Nesbit writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:52:10 -0800, Ramon F Herrera scribbled down:
    >>

    >>> "Microsoft's "significant" announcement on February 21 turns out to be
    >>> not so significant at all. Microsoft is promising -- for the umpteenth
    >>> time -- that it will share all the protocols and programming interfaces
    >>> needed to allow interoperability between its products and others."
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1207
    >>>
    >>> How can you tell that Microsoft is lying?
    >>>
    >>> -RFH

    >> Microsoft needs to do less "pledging" and do more steps to actually become
    >> interoperable. Actually adhering to web standards would be a good start.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ubuntu Linux
    >> 13:15:05 up 5 days, 15:42, 3 users, load average: 0.44, 0.25, 0.18
    >>
    >> You're a card which will have to be dealt with.

    > You're posting with a double signature.

    It happens. Teranews insists on adding their little advertisement to
    my real sig. I think that if I pay them more they'll stop doing this.

    > Also be aware that most COLA "advocates" filter out
    > teranews since they see it as a source of idiots.

    I'm not overly concerned with what these people see or don't see. They are
    free to filter out any person or any source they want to filter. I'm more
    interested in people what people who browse the web see. I doubt these
    people will have any filters (certainly true if they view newsgroups
    through Google as most people do). It's more important that these people
    get a chance to read the whole story.

    --
    Ubuntu Linux
    14:01:25 up 5 days, 16:28, 3 users, load average: 0.38, 0.15, 0.13

    Q: Who cuts the grass on Walton's Mountain?
    A: Lawn Boy.

  12. Re: Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, spike1@freenet.co.uk

    wrote
    on Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:05:32 +0000
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine did eloquently scribble:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:15:42 -0600
    >> :

    >>> Is this a trick question?

    >> Possible responses:

    >> A1: When Bill Gates opens his mouth.
    >> A2: One can't get down from a duck. One gets down from a goose.

    > Or a horse.

    Well, I *have* heard the expression "horsefeathers"... ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. An OS which actually, unlike certain other offerings, works.

  13. Re: Microsoft pledges (yet again) that it wants to be interoperable

    The Ghost In The Machine did eloquently scribble:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, spike1@freenet.co.uk
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:05:32 +0000
    > :
    >> The Ghost In The Machine did eloquently scribble:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:15:42 -0600
    >>> :

    >>> Possible responses:

    >>> A1: When Bill Gates opens his mouth.
    >>> A2: One can't get down from a duck. One gets down from a goose.

    >> Or a horse.
    >>

    > Well, I *have* heard the expression "horsefeathers"... ;-)

    /me resists the urge to explain the joke and therefore, kill it.

    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |