Why Intellectual Property Does Not Exist, Part 3502

,----[ Quote ]
| Those who insist that copyright is the same as real property break their own
| rule by also insisting that they retain perpetual rights to the good, even
| after it's been sold. If copyright were like real property, after the creator
| sold it, the buyer could do whatever they want with it, including giving it
| out for free.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080219/014250290.shtml

Here is the remark from Microsoft's ambassador at Novell (MSFT: News, Reports).

Open-source fans mixed on Microsoft move

,----[ Quote ]
| Miguel de Icaza, founder of the GNOME project and a Novell programmer working
| on Mono, an open-source implementation of Microsoft's .Net software: "As a
| chess move, it is a fascinating one...On the surface it looks very good.
| (There are) lots of things that we want to interoperate with--Office, SQL
| Server, SharePoint. Getting the documentation to everyone sounds great, and
| it seems like they are serious about doing more interoperability work...When
| the full list for patents becomes available, the question is what will
| open-source vendors do if they find pieces that have historically infringed:
| will they choose to license and be the recipients of the community wrath, or
| will they hold their grounds and risk a lawsuit?"
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-987...ml?tag=newsmap

Surely they will mind the .NET ripoffs.

Related:

Miguel de Icaza talks to the INQ

,----[ Quote ]
| Inq: Why did you name your biggest project after an infectious disease?
|
| Miguel: Because I am Mexican and in Spanish, Mono means monkey.
|
| Inq: Thank you for your time.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...caza-talks-inq

OpenSolaris, Gobuntu, and be careful who you kiss

,----[ Quote ]
| I read the agreement between Xandros and Microsoft, and one of the excluded
| products was Mono, so Microsoft promises to not sue Xandros over their
| distribution but excluding Mono and a few other products, i.e. they reserve
| the right to sue over Mono. I wonder if this is an interesting preview of on
| what basis they want to fight the free world. * *
|
| Interestingly, the Novell deal seems to be different, Mono is not excluded
| from the Novell deal. So Microsoft seems to be promising not to sue Novell
| over Mono, but keeps the option open for Xandros. Weird but true. *
`----

http://commandline.org.uk/2007/be-careful-who-you-kiss/

Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]