Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound forMicrosoft's Dying Empire - Linux

This is a discussion on Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound forMicrosoft's Dying Empire - Linux ; [Death of HD-DVD was predictable.] Here's why HD-DVD's end should not have been a surprise, what lessons can be learned from its death, and what its demise means for Microsoft. [HD-DVD--Bluray format war, Microsoft vs Sony...]] In the new HD ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

  1. Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound forMicrosoft's Dying Empire

    [Death of HD-DVD was predictable.] Here's why HD-DVD's end should not
    have been a surprise, what lessons can be learned from its death, and
    what its demise means for Microsoft.

    [HD-DVD--Bluray format war, Microsoft vs Sony...]] In the new HD video
    market, Microsoft again wanted to push its Windows Media codecs while
    Sony wanted to establish its blue-violet laser technology.

    [Origins of format war...HD-DVD had early lead...Disney's Eisner
    converted to Microsoft HDi and Windows DRM...started to look like
    Betamax all over again...]

    [But then Sony bought MGM, Eisner left Disney, studios shifted to Blu-
    Ray, Toshiba late on HD-DVD, Sony made many hardware partnerships,
    Toshiba's HD-DVD expensive, they wanted to jump ship...]

    ....By the end of that year [2006], Microsoft began selling an external
    $200 HD-DVD player for the Xbox 360, just as Sony introduced its
    PlayStation 3 with an integrated Blu-Ray player....

    By the end of 2006, Microsoft had shipped ten million Xbox 360s to
    stores, while Sony had only sold a few hundred thousand units of the
    new PS3. However, Microsoft only sold a limited number of its optional
    HD-DVD drives to Xbox users, while every PS3 shipped with Blu-Ray
    capabilities.

    Compared to standalone HD disc players, Sony's PS3 not only offered
    the cheapest Blu-Ray system, but also did a variety of other things,
    including media downloads and of course games. Throughout 2007, Sony
    shipped nearly as many PS3 units (6.5 million) as Microsoft sold Xbox
    360s (7.3 million). Again, every PS3 played Blu-Ray, while only a
    small number of Microsoft's console buyers opted for the HD-DVD
    option.

    Many PS3 buyers were buying them, not as game machines, but on the
    recommendation of sales people because it was the most economical Blu-
    Ray player. That surge of Blu-Ray players began creating a market for
    HD discs that greatly outnumbered the few hundred thousand HD disc
    players sold outside of the PS3.

    The War on Microsoft.
    While the PS3 pushed the Blu-Ray format over the goal line, the entire
    industry outside of Microsoft, Intel, and Toshiba was lined up behind
    Blu-Ray. There simply wasn't any realistic chance that HD-DVD would
    prevail. This wasn't a simple physical format war like the old VHS and
    Betamax rivalry; also at stake were the future of video codecs and
    embedded interactivity development. This was a battle for software and
    open markets that went far beyond HD disc movie playback.

    Companies like Apple and Sun, neither of which had expressed any
    interest in building or selling HD discs, were unitedly opposed to HD-
    DVD because it meant Microsoft would expand its proprietary control
    over video codecs and the embedded software runtime used for
    interactivity. The industry in general has actively been pushing to
    rid itself of dependance upon Microsoft controlled standards.

    [10 years earlier, other companies backed QuickTime against Microsoft
    ASF...]

    Since then, Microsoft tried hard to push ASF, derail MPEG-4, and even
    created its own bastard version of MPEG-4 codecs under the name
    Windows Media 9. It also worked hard to establish its proprietary
    audio codecs in the field of portable media players. When those
    efforts all failed, Microsoft ran WM9 though a sham standards process
    that rebranded it as VC-1, and set up a satellite group of "partners"
    to advocate it, all of which were owned or directly controlled by
    Microsoft.

    None of these efforts hid the reality that Microsoft wanted to simply
    duplicate in media what it had done to the PC desktop: copy existing
    technology, add proprietary hooks, and then sit back and tax the
    industry with software fees without adding any value. After having
    been burned repeatedly, the rest of the industry is now ready to shoot
    down every effort Microsoft makes to enslave innovation and progress.

    Misinformation Wars.
    Added to the strong showing of studios and manufacturers already
    supporting Blu-Ray since 2005, the impact of Sony's integration of Blu-
    Ray on the PS3 left little room for the HD-DVD camp to maneuver.
    Microsoft's efforts to support HD-DVD in Windows Vista and on the Xbox
    360 had a limited effect because Vista turned out a commercial
    failure, and 360 sales were in a precipitous free fall, dropping 33%
    year over year in 2007. Sony had attached Blu-Ray to its PS3 rocket at
    launch while Microsoft tied two sandbags to HD-DVD: Vista and the Xbox
    360.

    Apple, Nintendo, and Sony were all working to push OpenGL against
    Microsoft's proprietary DirectX. The video industry was pushing behind
    the ISO's MPEG-4 H.264 and AAC, aided by the popularity of Apple's
    iTunes, rather than the proprietary WMA and WMV/VC-1 codecs Microsoft
    was working to advance. The embedded industry favored Java over
    Microsoft's latest proprietary efforts to own interactivity. HD-DVD
    died because the industry collectively worked to kill it as a
    proprietary monster that would enslave users, studios, and developers
    to Microsoft's software. It wasn't a simple disc format struggle.

    The public wasn't aware of what was going on behind the scenes because
    Microsoft worked diligently to spin a misinformation campaign that
    suggested that HD-DVD would be cheaper, more open, and deliver more
    content. Backers were fed talking points that insisted that HD-DVD
    discs were cheaper to create, that the Chinese would pump out ultra
    cheap players to support Microsoft, and that HD-DVD's DRM was somehow
    easier to get around than Blu-Ray. This was all false.

    When charged with the reality that Microsoft is nothing more than a
    marketing organization pushing inferior technology tied to proprietary
    standards that will later be leveraged to extort higher prices, the
    company responds with a smoke screen that declares that its products
    will be first-to-market and supported by lowballing Chinese
    manufacturers. At the same time however, Microsoft has only ever
    delivered late, inferior products that have a higher total cost of
    ownership. Its supporters have worked hard to bury this reality even
    as Microsoft continues to raise prices on poor products that have
    limited competition, such as Windows Vista.

    Reality Distortion.
    Despite the industry's widespread backing of Blu-Ray, Microsoft
    similarly worked hard to create the illusion that HD-DVD was a viable
    product. This was critical because HD-DVD was Microsoft's last effort
    to force the adoption of VC-1 and HDi. It had already failed to
    successfully use WinCE in any other embedded market, from smartphones
    to music players to handheld computers, and had similarly failed to
    establish Windows Media as a download format against the ISO's AAC and
    H.264, widely popularized by Apple's iTunes.

    In a final act of desperation, the HD-DVD camp signed up Paramount and
    DreamWorks as new exclusive movie studios for HD-DVD. This pitted
    roughly half of the studios behind each of the two rival formats, with
    Warner Bros. being unique in offering titles in both formats.
    Microsoft's efforts to prolong the format war had nothing to do with
    players or media, and everything to do with forwarding its proprietary
    software.

    However, consumers were confused by the format uncertainty, which
    helped to slow sales across the board. Irritated by Microsoft's
    refusal to cooperate, Warner Bros. announced a pullout of HD-DVD
    support right before CES, yanking the plug on Microsoft's HD-DVD
    marketing push planned for the show. That signaled an enthusiastic
    redrawing of the watershed of support behind Blu-Ray, from retailers
    like WalMart to movie rental groups including Blockbuster and Netflix,
    and ultimately to Toshiba as HD-DVD's hardware producer.

    What the Death of HD-DVD Means.
    HD-DVD is dead, and with it dies Microsoft's aspirations to inject its
    proprietary software in media development. This is also a big strike
    against VC-1; despite being written into the Blu-Ray standard along
    with the ISO's H.264, most Blu-Ray developers are moving toward H.264,
    which not only allows them to master HD discs, but also deliver mobile
    and downloadable versions using the same codec for playback on devices
    such as the PSP and iPod.

    The death of HD-DVD also presents further evidence that Microsoft is
    increasingly incapable of pushing its own proprietary standards using
    its Windows monopoly. Building support for HD-DVD into Windows Vista
    did almost nothing to shore up support for the format, and tying it to
    the Xbox 360 similarly did little to push things toward the outcome
    Microsoft wanted.

    In the 90s, Microsoft maintained an invincible aura praised by loyal
    pundits; it defeated small companies, bought up rivals and destroyed
    them, slit its partners' throats, and put startups out of business. It
    only ever gave the appearance of maintaining strong relationships with
    its partner companies. However, in the last ten years, that strong
    facade has been destroyed by a series of very public failures:

    WinCE helped to destroy Palm, but did nothing to advance the state of
    the art and has since fallen into a distant and increasingly
    irrelevant third place in smartphones. It has become similarly
    irrelevant in the small handheld computer market for which it was
    created, and has failed as an embedded system. Microsoft moved its
    UMPC plans to use its desktop Windows, dropped any hope of using WinCE
    as the basis for game consoles, and most recently bought up Java-based
    Danger to replace WinCE as its mobile strategy. If Microsoft is fully
    abandoning WinCE, why should partners stick around?

    Windows XP has floated along as the default choice for PC consumers,
    but when Microsoft tried to raise the price and tack on fluff features
    with the Vista rebranding, buyers demanded to upgrade to the previous
    version. Microsoft is still shipping Vista to manufacturers, but
    corporations and end users are frequently reverting to Windows XP,
    killing Microsoft's ability to leverage its market position to push
    new proprietary standards and raise prices for features that were once
    included for free, such as standard networking.

    The Xbox 360 had a strong showing in its first year, but was still
    unable to match the sales of Sony's PS2. In its second year, it not
    only fell behind sales of the original Xbox [correction: 360 unit
    shipments were up 30% over the original Xbox after the first year],
    but 360 shipments also fell 33% year over year as buyers shifted their
    attention to the newer Nintendo Wii and PS3. The Wii outsold the 360
    in 2007 and the PS3 came within a stones throw of matching its sales
    [update: the PS3 has also eclipsed 360 unit sales as it enters its
    second year]. Going forward, there is no reason for thinking 360 sales
    will dramatically turn around, as sales growth fell this year despite
    the arrival of major hit new games.

    In contrast, after a slow initial start in its first year, Sony's PS2
    grew dramatically year over year back to back in 2001 and 2002, and
    maintained annual sales well above the Xbox 360's 2006 peak for over
    six years, selling an average of 16.8 million per year over its seven
    year lifespan. Sony has similar long term plans for the PS3, while
    Microsoft has been unable to sell a game console with a lifespan over
    four years. The 360 is having a late life crisis just as the PS3 is
    beginning to sell in adolescent volume.

    Microsoft's monopoly power is dissolving, and its ability to create
    anti-competitive partnerships and exclusive alliances is also falling
    apart. Its hardware partners have been led on wild goose chases with
    WinCE, desktop Windows, PlaysForSure, and now HD-DVD, leaving
    alliances with Microsoft looking more like charity exercises than
    business decisions.

    Misinformation Is and Misinformation Does.
    With the mask pulled off the bluffing, blustering HD-DVD, it becomes
    clearer that the talking points generated by Microsoft's supporters
    all have the same source. As new promises are made about the imminent
    arrival of cheap new hardware from Chinese dumping, new partnerships
    just around the corner, and the power of Microsoft's monopoly to make
    the improbable happen, it will now be increasingly difficult for the
    public to swallow them.

    Those assurances applied not only to the failure of HD-DVD but also
    the failure of the Zune, which was similarly supposed to take on the
    world with Toshiba and turn into a Chinese mass production established
    in place by the influence of Windows and the Xbox. Instead, MTV's Urge
    defected from its Zune store partnership with Microsoft to join Real's
    rival Rhapsody music store, and Microsoft never even built any
    significant integration between the Zune and Xbox.

    The Xbox itself was also supposed to rapidly turn around in price, but
    it soon be came clear that the Xbox 360 was actually more expensive to
    buy compared to the PS3 for users who get a hard drive, HD disc
    player, wireless networking, and other features left off Xbox models.
    In order to hide the fact that Xbox sales are dramatically tapering
    off, pundits only ever counted the 360, PS3, and Wii in cumulative
    numbers. No other market uses installed base to compare sales.
    Microsoft certainly doesn't talk about installed base when comparing
    the Zune to the iPod.

    If the Zune had sold a respectable number of units, it would be
    praised for its achievement rather than compared to the total number
    of iPods sold in previous years. Instead, Microsoft gerrymandered a
    market for "30GB hard drive based music players" in order to briefly
    claim a slice approaching 10% of weekly sales numbers.

    The End of A Great Illusion.
    The reality is that Microsoft is forced to falsify reports and color
    numbers because reality doesn't support the illusion of Microsoft's
    unquestionable market power. The company is failing in consumer
    electronics, and every year that passes makes its losses greater and
    its accomplishments less impressive.

    With shrinking sales, the 360 isn't going to hold off expansion of the
    PS3. With the death of HD-DVD, Microsoft isn't going to push into
    media sales and production. With fire sales of the Zune, Apple is not
    going to lose its iPod business to the same company that already
    failed to take it on with its PlaysForSure partners.

    The death of HD-DVD says more about Microsoft and its future than the
    general media seems to recognize. It's not a format war, its a culture
    war between industry players working to advance the state of the art
    collectively in partnerships, and one company working to own
    everything while contributing very little. It's not hard to see why
    Microsoft's bruised and abused former partners are working to align
    themselves with open solutions rather than buy into more pain with
    technology tied to Microsoft. That's very bad news for a company that
    exists solely as a licensee of third rate product ideas.

    The death of HD-DVD is another lethal wound for Microsoft's dying
    empire.

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/

  2. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu

    wrote
    on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:05:16 -0800 (PST)
    <02584918-9341-4abe-bb8d-be47664b4d75@k2g2000hse.googlegroups.com>:

    > [Death of HD-DVD was predictable.] Here's why HD-DVD's end should not
    > have been a surprise, what lessons can be learned from its death, and
    > what its demise means for Microsoft.
    >
    > [HD-DVD--Bluray format war, Microsoft vs Sony...]] In the new HD video
    > market, Microsoft again wanted to push its Windows Media codecs while
    > Sony wanted to establish its blue-violet laser technology.

    [massive snip for brevity]

    > http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/

    I'm not sure about the "lethal" part. It's not like
    they're dead yet, though I'll admit I wonder how long this
    sort of nonsense can continue.

    However, the imminent demise of Usenet has been repeatedly
    predicted, for example, and it's yet to happen (though I
    can't say its state is all that good).

    On a more relevant (and less happy) note: the Year of
    the Linux Desktop has also been proudly proclaimed for
    many years -- and has yet to happen, though as far as
    *my* desktops are concerned it's the default option,
    and presumably for a number of others posting here.

    And Microsoft continues to be hugely profitable.

    So we'll see.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #2239120:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = p; strcpy(p,q); }

  3. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

> [...]

    > media sales and production. With fire sales of the Zune, Apple is not
    > going to lose its iPod business to the same company that already
    > failed to take it on with its PlaysForSure partners.
    >
    > The death of HD-DVD says more about Microsoft and its future than the
    > general media seems to recognize. It's not a format war, its a culture
    > war between industry players working to advance the state of the art
    > collectively in partnerships, and one company working to own
    > everything while contributing very little. It's not hard to see why
    > Microsoft's bruised and abused former partners are working to align
    > themselves with open solutions rather than buy into more pain with
    > technology tied to Microsoft. That's very bad news for a company that
    > exists solely as a licensee of third rate product ideas.
    >
    > The death of HD-DVD is another lethal wound for Microsoft's dying

    This is one of the nicest post and articles that I have ever read,
    concerning the plight of msft.

    Thank you for posting it.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  4. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >
    > wrote
    > on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:05:16 -0800 (PST)
    > <02584918-9341-4abe-bb8d-be47664b4d75@k2g2000hse.googlegroups.com>:
    >>
    >> [Death of HD-DVD was predictable.] Here's why HD-DVD's end should not
    >> have been a surprise, what lessons can be learned from its death, and
    >> what its demise means for Microsoft.
    >>
    >> [HD-DVD--Bluray format war, Microsoft vs Sony...]] In the new HD video
    >> market, Microsoft again wanted to push its Windows Media codecs while
    >> Sony wanted to establish its blue-violet laser technology.

    > [massive snip for brevity]

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/

    > I'm not sure about the "lethal" part. It's not like
    > they're dead yet, though I'll admit I wonder how long this
    > sort of nonsense can continue.

    Theres always hope and the penguin to carry us through. :')

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  5. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    * Jerry McBride peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/

    > This is one of the nicest post and articles that I have ever read,
    > concerning the plight of msft.
    >
    > Thank you for posting it.

    I've got that site on RSS. I don't always agree with what he says, and
    he's Apple-tilted, but he's often thorough, often logical, and often
    funny.

    --
    Men rise from one ambition to another: first, they seek to secure themselves
    against attack, and then they attack others.

  6. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride

    wrote
    on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:42:16 -0500
    <07s395xr9g.ln2@supertux.my.domain>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:05:16 -0800 (PST)
    >> <02584918-9341-4abe-bb8d-be47664b4d75@k2g2000hse.googlegroups.com>:
    >>>
    >>> [Death of HD-DVD was predictable.] Here's why HD-DVD's end should not
    >>> have been a surprise, what lessons can be learned from its death, and
    >>> what its demise means for Microsoft.
    >>>
    >>> [HD-DVD--Bluray format war, Microsoft vs Sony...]] In the new HD video
    >>> market, Microsoft again wanted to push its Windows Media codecs while
    >>> Sony wanted to establish its blue-violet laser technology.

    >> [massive snip for brevity]
    >>

    > http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/
    >>>

    >> I'm not sure about the "lethal" part. It's not like
    >> they're dead yet, though I'll admit I wonder how long this
    >> sort of nonsense can continue.
    >>

    > Theres always hope and the penguin to carry us through. :')

    And a certain sense of humor...

    http://www.penguincomputing.com/inde...253&Itemid=377

    ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  7. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    ____/ Linonut on Friday 22 February 2008 22:29 : \____

    > * Jerry McBride peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/

    >> This is one of the nicest post and articles that I have ever read,
    >> concerning the plight of msft.
    >>
    >> Thank you for posting it.

    > I've got that site on RSS. I don't always agree with what he says, and
    > he's Apple-tilted, but he's often thorough, often logical, and often
    > funny.

    He covers a lot of the same stuff that I do and he also sees beyond
    the 'press', which is bombarded by the Microsoft PR proxies, which bend
    journalists' arms to spread the hypnotic power. Did you know that if you write
    an article that criticises Microsoft, a Microsoft PR agent is likely to
    contact you for a correction, offer you a gift and/or ask for another more
    flattering artice? I'd give evidence to show this (needs some digging).

    Microsoft's great empire was very much an illusion, especially after Gates had
    quit his role as CEO (loss of $18,000,000,000 that year). Linux forced
    Microsoft to behave -- soon it will have it defeated, but not as a platform,
    but more as an enabler for companies like Amazon, Google, even Yahoo (yes,
    they began using GNU/Linux also).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "We have increased our prices over the last 10 years (while) other component
    prices have come down and continue to come down."
    --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft

  8. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 22 February 2008 19:20 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >
    > wrote
    > on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:05:16 -0800 (PST)
    > <02584918-9341-4abe-bb8d-be47664b4d75@k2g2000hse.googlegroups.com>:
    >>
    >> [Death of HD-DVD was predictable.] Here's why HD-DVD's end should not
    >> have been a surprise, what lessons can be learned from its death, and
    >> what its demise means for Microsoft.
    >>
    >> [HD-DVD--Bluray format war, Microsoft vs Sony...]] In the new HD video
    >> market, Microsoft again wanted to push its Windows Media codecs while
    >> Sony wanted to establish its blue-violet laser technology.

    > [massive snip for brevity]
    >
    >> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/
    >>

    > I'm not sure about the "lethal" part. It's not like
    > they're dead yet, though I'll admit I wonder how long this
    > sort of nonsense can continue.
    >
    > However, the imminent demise of Usenet has been repeatedly
    > predicted, for example, and it's yet to happen (though I
    > can't say its state is all that good).
    >
    > On a more relevant (and less happy) note: the Year of
    > the Linux Desktop has also been proudly proclaimed for
    > many years -- and has yet to happen, though as far as
    > *my* desktops are concerned it's the default option,
    > and presumably for a number of others posting here.
    >
    > And Microsoft continues to be hugely profitable.
    >
    > So we'll see.

    Ghost,

    One theme that I see recurring in your posts is that Microsoft has deep
    pockets. It does not.

    Steve Ballmer has deep pockets. Bill Gates has deep pockets. Many ex-Softies
    are millionaires. But they won't donate their assets and saving to Microsoft
    if it operated at a loss and buys its own stock.

    SEC filings are tricky. Novell claims that it has wealth, but at the same time
    it's documented that it had trouble with the bank and the Finance Heads over
    their admitted financial misconduct (cooking the book). You know what they say
    about this? "Everyone is doing it". Welcome to the US of A. Shades of Worldcom
    and Enron...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Wintendo O/S: which virus do fancy today?
    Tasks: 128 total, 1 running, 127 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  9. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu espoused:

    > The End of A Great Illusion.
    > The reality is that Microsoft is forced to falsify reports and color
    > numbers because reality doesn't support the illusion of Microsoft's
    > unquestionable market power. The company is failing in consumer
    > electronics, and every year that passes makes its losses greater and
    > its accomplishments less impressive.
    >
    > With shrinking sales, the 360 isn't going to hold off expansion of the
    > PS3. With the death of HD-DVD, Microsoft isn't going to push into
    > media sales and production. With fire sales of the Zune, Apple is not
    > going to lose its iPod business to the same company that already
    > failed to take it on with its PlaysForSure partners.
    >
    > The death of HD-DVD says more about Microsoft and its future than the
    > general media seems to recognize. It's not a format war, its a culture
    > war between industry players working to advance the state of the art
    > collectively in partnerships, and one company working to own
    > everything while contributing very little. It's not hard to see why
    > Microsoft's bruised and abused former partners are working to align
    > themselves with open solutions rather than buy into more pain with
    > technology tied to Microsoft. That's very bad news for a company that
    > exists solely as a licensee of third rate product ideas.
    >
    > The death of HD-DVD is another lethal wound for Microsoft's dying
    > empire.
    >

    > http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/

    The demise of Microsoft looks like it's getting closer all the time!
    This article is extremely well written, excellent.

  10. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 22 February 2008 19:20 : \____
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:05:16 -0800 (PST)
    >> <02584918-9341-4abe-bb8d-be47664b4d75@k2g2000hse.googlegroups.com>:
    >>>
    >>> [Death of HD-DVD was predictable.] Here's why HD-DVD's end should not
    >>> have been a surprise, what lessons can be learned from its death, and
    >>> what its demise means for Microsoft.
    >>>
    >>> [HD-DVD--Bluray format war, Microsoft vs Sony...]] In the new HD video
    >>> market, Microsoft again wanted to push its Windows Media codecs while
    >>> Sony wanted to establish its blue-violet laser technology.

    >> [massive snip for brevity]
    >>
    >>> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/
    >>>

    >> I'm not sure about the "lethal" part. It's not like
    >> they're dead yet, though I'll admit I wonder how long this
    >> sort of nonsense can continue.
    >>
    >> However, the imminent demise of Usenet has been repeatedly
    >> predicted, for example, and it's yet to happen (though I
    >> can't say its state is all that good).
    >>
    >> On a more relevant (and less happy) note: the Year of
    >> the Linux Desktop has also been proudly proclaimed for
    >> many years -- and has yet to happen, though as far as
    >> *my* desktops are concerned it's the default option,
    >> and presumably for a number of others posting here.
    >>
    >> And Microsoft continues to be hugely profitable.
    >>
    >> So we'll see.

    > Ghost,
    >
    > One theme that I see recurring in your posts is that Microsoft has deep
    > pockets. It does not.
    >
    > Steve Ballmer has deep pockets. Bill Gates has deep pockets. Many ex-Softies
    > are millionaires. But they won't donate their assets and saving to Microsoft
    > if it operated at a loss and buys its own stock.
    >
    > SEC filings are tricky. Novell claims that it has wealth, but at the same time
    > it's documented that it had trouble with the bank and the Finance Heads over
    > their admitted financial misconduct (cooking the book). You know what they say
    > about this? "Everyone is doing it". Welcome to the US of A. Shades of Worldcom
    > and Enron...

    Microsoft is in very poor shape for a company of its size. The plan to
    purchase Yahoo was wonderfully misconceived, merely serving to see
    Microsoft's shares discounted by the value of Yahoo. Oddly, they don't
    seem to have recovered, either. I think that the stock markets are
    beginning to see that the only "asset" Microsoft had was its monopoly,
    and it is losing that rapidly. It is, in my opinion, massively
    over-valued for its prospects, but I don't expect the less technical
    traders to recognise this for some time. They will, in the end, though.

    Microsoft could be turned around with new management, breaking the
    company up into smaller bits, and perhaps buying something in with
    value, but anything which is a software house is unlikely to help
    Microsoft, as their own culture will destroy any value in that purchase,
    as the stock markets have already recognised, hence the reaction to the
    Yahoo plan.

    I'd suggest that Microsoft's best route to survival would be a merger
    with Oracle... that would keep both of them going for another ten
    years...

  11. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 23 February 2008 09:12 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 22 February 2008 19:20 : \____
    >>
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:05:16 -0800 (PST)

    >>> [massive snip for brevity]

    >>> I'm not sure about the "lethal" part. It's not like
    >>> they're dead yet, though I'll admit I wonder how long this
    >>> sort of nonsense can continue.
    >>>
    >>> However, the imminent demise of Usenet has been repeatedly
    >>> predicted, for example, and it's yet to happen (though I
    >>> can't say its state is all that good).
    >>>
    >>> On a more relevant (and less happy) note: the Year of
    >>> the Linux Desktop has also been proudly proclaimed for
    >>> many years -- and has yet to happen, though as far as
    >>> *my* desktops are concerned it's the default option,
    >>> and presumably for a number of others posting here.
    >>>
    >>> And Microsoft continues to be hugely profitable.
    >>>
    >>> So we'll see.

    >> Ghost,
    >>
    >> One theme that I see recurring in your posts is that Microsoft has deep
    >> pockets. It does not.
    >>
    >> Steve Ballmer has deep pockets. Bill Gates has deep pockets. Many ex-Softies
    >> are millionaires. But they won't donate their assets and saving to Microsoft
    >> if it operated at a loss and buys its own stock.
    >>
    >> SEC filings are tricky. Novell claims that it has wealth, but at the same
    >> time it's documented that it had trouble with the bank and the Finance Heads
    >> over their admitted financial misconduct (cooking the book). You know what
    >> they say about this? "Everyone is doing it". Welcome to the US of A. Shades
    >> of Worldcom and Enron...
    >>

    > Microsoft is in very poor shape for a company of its size. The plan to
    > purchase Yahoo was wonderfully misconceived, merely serving to see
    > Microsoft's shares discounted by the value of Yahoo. Oddly, they don't
    > seem to have recovered, either. I think that the stock markets are
    > beginning to see that the only "asset" Microsoft had was its monopoly,
    > and it is losing that rapidly.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnFj2_yFb7M

    Mind the first few minutes. He doesn't mention Microsoft by name.

    > It is, in my opinion, massively
    > over-valued for its prospects, but I don't expect the less technical
    > traders to recognise this for some time. They will, in the end, though.
    >
    > Microsoft could be turned around with new management, breaking the
    > company up into smaller bits, and perhaps buying something in with
    > value, but anything which is a software house is unlikely to help
    > Microsoft, as their own culture will destroy any value in that purchase,
    > as the stock markets have already recognised, hence the reaction to the
    > Yahoo plan.

    Smaller chunks a la Lenovo? Either way, Microsoft will stick around, but like
    IBM it will become something altogether different. Like Novell with NetWare,
    Windows will stay around and float for quite a while.

    > I'd suggest that Microsoft's best route to survival would be a merger
    > with Oracle... that would keep both of them going for another ten
    > years...

    Oracle uses Linux. That would not work.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open the Gate$ to Hell
    11:05:02 up 29 days, 20:59, 3 users, load average: 0.77, 1.04, 1.24

  12. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > I'd suggest that Microsoft's best route to survival would be a merger
    > with Oracle... that would keep both of them going for another ten
    > years...

    Well, maybe now that Bill's out of the way, Larry might be tempted to
    become "the richest man in the world"

    --
    640K ought to be enough for anybody.
    -- Bill Gates

  13. Re: Roy Schestowitz - Is he simply stupid or a liar?

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 22 February 2008 19:20 : \____
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:05:16 -0800 (PST)
    >> <02584918-9341-4abe-bb8d-be47664b4d75@k2g2000hse.googlegroups.com>:
    >>>
    >>> [Death of HD-DVD was predictable.] Here's why HD-DVD's end should not
    >>> have been a surprise, what lessons can be learned from its death, and
    >>> what its demise means for Microsoft.
    >>>
    >>> [HD-DVD--Bluray format war, Microsoft vs Sony...]] In the new HD video
    >>> market, Microsoft again wanted to push its Windows Media codecs while
    >>> Sony wanted to establish its blue-violet laser technology.

    >> [massive snip for brevity]
    >>
    >>> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/
    >>>

    >> I'm not sure about the "lethal" part. It's not like
    >> they're dead yet, though I'll admit I wonder how long this
    >> sort of nonsense can continue.
    >>
    >> However, the imminent demise of Usenet has been repeatedly
    >> predicted, for example, and it's yet to happen (though I
    >> can't say its state is all that good).
    >>
    >> On a more relevant (and less happy) note: the Year of
    >> the Linux Desktop has also been proudly proclaimed for
    >> many years -- and has yet to happen, though as far as
    >> *my* desktops are concerned it's the default option,
    >> and presumably for a number of others posting here.
    >>
    >> And Microsoft continues to be hugely profitable.
    >>
    >> So we'll see.

    > Ghost,
    >
    > One theme that I see recurring in your posts is that Microsoft has deep
    > pockets. It does not.

    Don't let facts get in the way of your FUD.

    Microsoft
    Total Cash (mrq): $19.09B

    Google
    Total Cash (mrq): $14.22B

    Redhat
    Total Cash (mrq): $1.04B

    IBM
    Total Cash (mrq): $16.15B

    Hewlett Packard
    Total Cash (mrq): $11.45B

    > Steve Ballmer has deep pockets. Bill Gates has deep pockets. Many
    > ex-Softies
    > are millionaires. But they won't donate their assets and saving to
    > Microsoft
    > if it operated at a loss and buys its own stock.

    Microsoft operate at a loss? You really are scraping the bottom of the
    barrel here.

    Microsoft makes a PROFT of over $13 BILLION dollars a year. That's over a
    BILLION dollars in profit each and every month.

    > SEC filings are tricky. Novell claims that it has wealth, but at the same
    > time
    > it's documented that it had trouble with the bank and the Finance Heads
    > over
    > their admitted financial misconduct (cooking the book). You know what
    > they say
    > about this? "Everyone is doing it". Welcome to the US of A. Shades of
    > Worldcom
    > and Enron...
    >
    > --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | Wintendo O/S: which virus do fancy today?
    > http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    > Tasks: 128 total, 1 running, 127 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    > http://iuron.com - knowledge engine, not a search engine

  14. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    Linonut writes:

    > * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> I'd suggest that Microsoft's best route to survival would be a merger
    >> with Oracle... that would keep both of them going for another ten
    >> years...

    > Well, maybe now that Bill's out of the way, Larry might be tempted to
    > become "the richest man in the world"

    Err, another good one.

    ,----
    | --
    | 640K ought to be enough for anybody.
    | -- Bill Gates
    `----

    And it was at the time. Your point being? Or can non one ever make a
    practical statement without the wrath of Liarnut 20 years later with the
    benefit of hindsight?

  15. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:
    > * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
    > >> if it operated at a loss and buys its own stock.

    > > You seem to be competely lost about what a stock buyback is for.

    > He never mentioned stock buyback in the previous post.

    "buys its own stock".

    --
    --Tim Smith

  16. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    Erik Funkenbusch writes:

    > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:04:35 -0500, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> You seem to be competely lost about what a stock buyback is for.

    >> He never mentioned stock buyback in the previous post.

    > Are you blind? "operated at a loss and BUYS ITS OWN STOCK".

    Liarnut rarely, if ever, reads the posts to which he replies. He makes
    things up as he goes along.

  17. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound forMicrosoft's Dying Empire

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    fpqa6p$6qn$00$1@news.t-online.com on 2/23/08 4:28 PM:

    >> Tell me, does your 64 bit system take
    >>
    >> (a) the same memory
    >> (b) less memory
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> (c) more memory
    >>
    >> to store that garbage you keep posting?

    > It uses the same memory, garbage or not
    > And if you had *any* idea about memory usage, you would not have asked such
    > a stupid question
    >

    >> LOL Hey, maybe it even does contiguous files and anti-aliasing properly?

    > Well, you still have not explained how to set up garanteed contiguous files.
    > And this after you have "explained" to us how it is impossible for
    > the "tools" to set up a non-contiguous swap file in the first place
    >
    >> Does it make your network safe when you give away your WPA key?

    > You might show a Msg-ID where I claim such a thing
    >
    > After all, you might look the idiot liar you are if you are unable to

    Care to dare me to point to specific posts where you outright lie?

    Tee hee..

    Peter runs in 3... 2... 1...

    --
    Satan lives for my sins... now *that* is dedication!

  18. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    In article ,
    Peter Kohlmann wrote:
    > Another fine "true linux advocacy" and "me too" post from the
    > "true linux advocate", "kernel hacker", "emacs user", "swapfile expert", "X
    > specialist", "CUPS guru", "USB-disk server admin", "defragger
    > professional", "newsreader magician", "hardware maven", "time
    > coordinator", "email sage" and "OSS culling committee chairman" Hadron
    > Quark, aka Hans Schneider, aka Richard, aka Damian O'Leary

    What did your post add to the threaa, "swap file master", "antialiasing
    guru", "hash security expert", "64-bit golem", "KDE on Windows genius",
    "WPA security maven" Peter Kohlmann?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  19. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    In article ,
    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > > Does it make your network safe when you give away your WPA key?

    > You might show a Msg-ID where I claim such a thing

    Hadron claimed it was unsafe. You said Hadron was wrong. Do you stand
    by your claim that he was wrong (in which case that is equivalent to you
    claiming that it is safe to publish your WPA key), or do you admit that
    Hadron is in fact right sometimes?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  20. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article ,
    > Peter Kohlmann wrote:
    >> Another fine "true linux advocacy" and "me too" post from the
    >> "true linux advocate", "kernel hacker", "emacs user", "swapfile expert", "X
    >> specialist", "CUPS guru", "USB-disk server admin", "defragger
    >> professional", "newsreader magician", "hardware maven", "time
    >> coordinator", "email sage" and "OSS culling committee chairman" Hadron
    >> Quark, aka Hans Schneider, aka Richard, aka Damian O'Leary

    > What did your post add to the threaa, "swap file master", "antialiasing
    > guru", "hash security expert", "64-bit golem", "KDE on Windows genius",
    > "WPA security maven" Peter Kohlmann?

    No, you have to tell lies to do this - the only thing he has wrong are
    the names and the "OSS culling committee". All the other things mentioned
    are relatively familiar to me. I don't know, maybe it impresses
    Peter. Like Roy Lapdog Colly, maybe he wishes he was more knowledgable
    about a wide range of things. He certainly doesn't seem to know much
    about most of the tings mentioned above. It's intriguing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast