Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 46 of 46

  1. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    On 2008-02-24, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> > Problem is: *You* claimed it would not even be possible to create a
    >> > non-contiguous file

    >> I said it was nigh on impossible on a new install. You on the other hand
    >> didn't know that swapfiles were as efficient now. You got caught out
    >> lying and bluffing again. Sometimes I wonder if you might be dimmer than
    >> WronG and more dishonest than Liarnut.

    > BTW, it is useful to recall how the whole swapfile thing got started in
    > the first place. Peter claimed that Macs where inherently slower at
    > virtual memory than Linux, because they use swap files, not swap
    > partitions.
    >
    > I pointed out that Apple gives instructions for creating a swap
    > partition if you want one. Peter was not satisfied with that, because

    ....that should be some trick.

    Creating a swap partition on an already configured disk without
    blowing away what you've already got. For something like this
    to be useful it needs to be present and obvious in the OS install
    process or just done automagically.

    Neither of these are the case.

    What partition type is a MacOS swap partition?

    [deletia]

    --
    On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

    When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were |||
    meant to be computationally convenient rather than just / | \
    arbitrarily assigned.

    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    In article ,
    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > What partition type is a MacOS swap partition?

    It's just a normal partition, same as you use for a filesystem. A swap
    partition on OS X is simply a partition that you are only using for swap
    files.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  3. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    On 2008-02-27, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>
    >> What partition type is a MacOS swap partition?
    >>

    > It's just a normal partition, same as you use for a filesystem. A swap
    > partition on OS X is simply a partition that you are only using for swap
    > files.

    ...and what is a "normal partition" tagged as in MacOS?

    --
    OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop. |||
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    In article ,
    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > > It's just a normal partition, same as you use for a filesystem. A swap
    > > partition on OS X is simply a partition that you are only using for swap
    > > files.

    > ...and what is a "normal partition" tagged as in MacOS?

    See the OS X section in the table here:

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound forMicrosoft's Dying Empire

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > ...and what is a "normal partition" tagged as in MacOS?

    ID: "af" HFS

    Here's a handy list of partition IDs:

    http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partition...n_types-1.html

    Also, you may wish to read this:

    http://www.math.columbia.edu/~bayer/...her/index.html

    It's quite an illuminating piece. Apparently moving a Mac's swapfile to
    a dedicated partition is fraught with difficulties, associated with the
    Mac's rather "unique" way of doing things.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    14:25:22 up 70 days, 12:01, 5 users, load average: 0.20, 0.22, 0.12

  6. Re: Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD: Another Lethal Wound for Microsoft's Dying Empire

    ____/ Linonut on Sunday 24 February 2008 21:16 : \____

    > * nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> I'm not sure about the "lethal" part. *It's not like
    >>> they're dead yet, though I'll admit I wonder how long this
    >>> sort of nonsense can continue....

    >>> And Microsoft continues to be hugely profitable.

    >> I agree, but the profits come from Windows and Office, not consumer
    >> electronics, which is what the article was concerned with. *I agree,
    >> too, that it remains to be seen how big a wound this (and these)
    >> defeats in consumer electronics space will be for Microsoft in the
    >> end. *But an interesting point of the article was that the Microsoft
    >> way of business, ie using Windows' monopoly position to lock in
    >> markets, has failed in consumer electronics. *And a number of
    >> commentaries on the Yahoo deal say that Microsoft is betting the farm
    >> on it, they're doing it because they know they can't go on forever
    >> like they have been (coasting on Windows and Office, which may be
    >> doing very well now but which also face credible threats).

    > I wonder who the next museum lecturer will be? *(See the sig).
    >
    > "Microsoft has had competitors in the past. It's a good thing we have
    > museums to document this stuff."
    > -- Bill Gates, in a talk at the Computer History Museum
    > in Mountain View, Calif.

    Yes, I wondered about that recently as well. It's amusing when one's ego is so
    big that he can envision omnipotence for a period of like what... 30 years
    ahead? Even IBM didn't make it. Like IBM, it's in trouble, but I couldn't care
    much less. Both companies could use some toppling and both have abused in the
    past. The same goes for Siemens, which thrives in endless briberies. Hopefully
    the honest and transparent ones can replace the Boiler Room Companies.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows all-in-one: Word, IE (for E-mail) & iTunes
    16:20:02 up 36 days, 2:14, 3 users, load average: 1.65, 1.56, 1.45

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3