WOOT! Mediadefender's internal emails leaked - via BitTorrent - Linux

This is a discussion on WOOT! Mediadefender's internal emails leaked - via BitTorrent - Linux ; ----- http://torrentfreak.com/mediadefende...leaked-070915/ "The Biggest Ever BitTorrent Leak: MediaDefender Internal Emails Go Public" "...Over 700mb of their own internal emails, dating back over 6 months have been leaked to the internet in what will be a devastating blow to the company. ...

  1. WOOT! Mediadefender's internal emails leaked - via BitTorrent

    -----

    http://torrentfreak.com/mediadefende...leaked-070915/

    "The Biggest Ever BitTorrent Leak: MediaDefender Internal Emails Go Public"

    "...Over 700mb of their own internal emails, dating back over 6 months
    have been leaked to the internet in what will be a devastating blow to the
    company. Many are very recent, having September 2007 dates and the
    majority involve the most senior people in the company..."

    "...According to the .nfo file posted with the Mbox file the emails were
    obtained by a group called 'MediaDefender-Defenders'. It states: 'By
    releasing these emails we hope to secure the privacy and personal
    integrity of all peer-to-peer users. The emails contains information about
    the various tactics and technical solutions for tracking p2p users, and
    disrupt p2p services,' and 'A special thanks to Jay Maris, for
    circumventing there entire email-security by forwarding all your emails to
    your gmail account'"

    -----

    From comments there and elsewhere, it appears that the collection also
    contains some emails that will affect current file-sharing cases and may
    even prompt some big class-action lawsuits. However, those are the legal
    opinions of techs, not lawyers. Perhaps Groklaw will enlighten us once PJ
    has a chance to digest it all?

  2. Re: WOOT! Mediadefender's internal emails leaked - via BitTorrent

    yakety yak wrote:

    > -----
    >
    > http://torrentfreak.com/mediadefende...leaked-070915/
    >
    > "The Biggest Ever BitTorrent Leak: MediaDefender Internal Emails Go
    > Public"
    >
    > "...Over 700mb of their own internal emails, dating back over 6 months
    > have been leaked to the internet in what will be a devastating blow to the
    > company. Many are very recent, having September 2007 dates and the
    > majority involve the most senior people in the company..."
    >
    > "...According to the .nfo file posted with the Mbox file the emails were
    > obtained by a group called 'MediaDefender-Defenders'. It states: 'By
    > releasing these emails we hope to secure the privacy and personal
    > integrity of all peer-to-peer users. The emails contains information about
    > the various tactics and technical solutions for tracking p2p users, and
    > disrupt p2p services,' and 'A special thanks to Jay Maris, for
    > circumventing there entire email-security by forwarding all your emails to
    > your gmail account'"
    >
    > -----
    >
    > From comments there and elsewhere, it appears that the collection also
    > contains some emails that will affect current file-sharing cases and may
    > even prompt some big class-action lawsuits. However, those are the legal
    > opinions of techs, not lawyers. Perhaps Groklaw will enlighten us once PJ
    > has a chance to digest it all?

    Makes for great reading... It's hard to believe that there's an actual
    business in filling bittorrent with bogus files... Amazing.

    --

    Jerry McBride

  3. Re: WOOT! Mediadefender's internal emails leaked - via BitTorrent

    ____/ Jerry McBride on Sunday 16 September 2007 03:20 : \____

    > yakety yak wrote:
    >

    >> -----
    >>
    >> http://torrentfreak.com/mediadefende...leaked-070915/
    >>
    >> "The Biggest Ever BitTorrent Leak: MediaDefender Internal Emails Go
    >> Public"
    >>
    >> "...Over 700mb of their own internal emails, dating back over 6 months
    >> have been leaked to the internet in what will be a devastating blow to the
    >> company. Many are very recent, having September 2007 dates and the
    >> majority involve the most senior people in the company..."
    >>
    >> "...According to the .nfo file posted with the Mbox file the emails were
    >> obtained by a group called 'MediaDefender-Defenders'. It states: 'By
    >> releasing these emails we hope to secure the privacy and personal
    >> integrity of all peer-to-peer users. The emails contains information about
    >> the various tactics and technical solutions for tracking p2p users, and
    >> disrupt p2p services,' and 'A special thanks to Jay Maris, for
    >> circumventing there entire email-security by forwarding all your emails to
    >> your gmail account'"
    >>
    >> -----
    >>
    >> From comments there and elsewhere, it appears that the collection also
    >> contains some emails that will affect current file-sharing cases and may
    >> even prompt some big class-action lawsuits. However, those are the legal
    >> opinions of techs, not lawyers. Perhaps Groklaw will enlighten us once PJ
    >> has a chance to digest it all?

    > Makes for great reading... It's hard to believe that there's an actual
    > business in filling bittorrent with bogus files... Amazing.

    How about 2.2 GB of Comes vs Microsoft exhibits? Many of these 3,000 items
    (some of which as large as hundreds of pages) give you enough to go away
    with... _for a while_.

    Here's a fun one, which someone whom I know is gradually extracting all the
    text from (for indexing):

    http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX03096.pdf

    In years to come, transparency will increase, whether corporations and
    governments like it or not. China has already complained that its
    national 'secrets' have been leaked and P2P in the US surely lets those
    sensitive files get around. Not to mention many millions of Windows zombies
    (in businesses, not just in home) whose hard-drive content are accessible to
    merely /anyone/ around the world....

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Ping this IP, see if it responds the second time"
    Tasks: 129 total, 1 running, 127 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie

  4. Re: WOOT! Mediadefender's internal emails leaked - via BitTorrent

    > Here's a fun one, which someone whom I know is gradually extracting
    > all the text from (for indexing):
    >
    > http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX03096.pdf

    Looks like I've got another project to work on now.

    It seems that Media Defender is not just using entrapment, but they're
    even tracking /unsigned/ (non-RIAA) bands to speculate on their possible
    lucrative potential for the Media Defender protection racket. Al Capone
    would be proud.

    Here's a sample:

    ######