[News] Novell Looks Foolish, EU Yawns at Microsoft's Fake 'Openness' (Taxoperability) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Novell Looks Foolish, EU Yawns at Microsoft's Fake 'Openness' (Taxoperability) - Linux ; Red Hat was right, Novell was wrong ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft's pledge to truly interoperate with the rest of the planet, | including open-source developers (both commercial and community), leaves two | clear victors in the Linux camp: Red ...

  1. [News] Novell Looks Foolish, EU Yawns at Microsoft's Fake 'Openness' (Taxoperability)

    Red Hat was right, Novell was wrong

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's pledge to truly interoperate with the rest of the planet,
    | including open-source developers (both commercial and community), leaves two
    | clear victors in the Linux camp: Red Hat and Ubuntu. While Novell capitulated
    | to Microsoft's early demands for a patent stooge, Red Hat and Ubuntu stood
    | firm.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Well, Novell gained a few quarters of "coupon cash" from the deal (though my
    | sources at Novell say that customers aren't renewing their subscriptions at a
    | rate that Novell would like), but I hope it recognizes the value in standing
    | firm for openness. What little wind it got puffed into its sails from its
    | interoperability lock-up with Microsoft just dissipated.
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Microsoft tries to appease EU by sharing secrets

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft, reacting to the rejection of its antitrust appeal in Europe last
    | year, said this morning that it's giving outside software developers new
    | levels of access to its biggest programs.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Antitrust regulators in Europe were emboldened by last September's ruling
    | against the company by the European Court of First Instance, opening two new
    | antitrust investigations into Microsoft's activities last month.
    `----

    http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss

    The EU is not foolish and it's not impressed.

    EU skeptical on Microsoft sharing plan

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | European Union regulators are expressing skepticism over Microsoft's latest
    | offer to share more information about its products and technology.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080221/...rosoft_sharing

    What Microsoft’s open APIs mean for open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It is worth noting that the new strategy will see Microsoft providing a list
    | of the patents and patent applications that relate to the protocols and
    | formats it uses for the named products. This should mean that open source
    | developers are able to identify some of the 235 patents Microsoft previously
    | claimed were infringed by free and open source software and will be able to
    | license them (on RAND terms), attempt to develop around them, or challenge
    | their legitimacy.
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...r-open-source/

    Supposedly 'big news' made short: nothing has changed. Microsoft says "Free
    softare will win, so we try to establish a mooching (taxing) factor on it."

  2. Re: [News] Novell Looks Foolish, EU Yawns at Microsoft's Fake 'Openness' (Taxoperability)

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Red Hat was right, Novell was wrong
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Microsoft's pledge to truly interoperate with the rest of the planet,
    >| including open-source developers (both commercial and community), leaves two
    >| clear victors in the Linux camp: Red Hat and Ubuntu. While Novell capitulated
    >| to Microsoft's early demands for a patent stooge, Red Hat and Ubuntu stood
    >| firm.
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| Well, Novell gained a few quarters of "coupon cash" from the deal (though my
    >| sources at Novell say that customers aren't renewing their subscriptions at a
    >| rate that Novell would like), but I hope it recognizes the value in standing
    >| firm for openness. What little wind it got puffed into its sails from its
    >| interoperability lock-up with Microsoft just dissipated.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Why would they renew subscriptions? They weren't getting anything...
    other than, perhaps, a lot of bad publicity.

    > Microsoft tries to appease EU by sharing secrets
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Microsoft, reacting to the rejection of its antitrust appeal in Europe last
    >| year, said this morning that it's giving outside software developers new
    >| levels of access to its biggest programs.
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| Antitrust regulators in Europe were emboldened by last September's ruling
    >| against the company by the European Court of First Instance, opening two new
    >| antitrust investigations into Microsoft's activities last month.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss
    >
    > The EU is not foolish and it's not impressed.
    >
    > EU skeptical on Microsoft sharing plan
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| European Union regulators are expressing skepticism over Microsoft's latest
    >| offer to share more information about its products and technology.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080221/...rosoft_sharing
    >
    > What Microsoft?s open APIs mean for open source
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| It is worth noting that the new strategy will see Microsoft providing a list
    >| of the patents and patent applications that relate to the protocols and
    >| formats it uses for the named products. This should mean that open source
    >| developers are able to identify some of the 235 patents Microsoft previously
    >| claimed were infringed by free and open source software and will be able to
    >| license them (on RAND terms), attempt to develop around them, or challenge
    >| their legitimacy.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...r-open-source/
    >
    > Supposedly 'big news' made short: nothing has changed. Microsoft says "Free
    > softare will win, so we try to establish a mooching (taxing) factor on it."

  3. Re: [News] Novell Looks Foolish, EU Yawns at Microsoft's Fake 'Openness' (Taxoperability)

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 22 February 2008 14:43 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Red Hat was right, Novell was wrong
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Microsoft's pledge to truly interoperate with the rest of the planet,
    >>| including open-source developers (both commercial and community), leaves
    >>| two clear victors in the Linux camp: Red Hat and Ubuntu. While Novell
    >>| capitulated to Microsoft's early demands for a patent stooge, Red Hat and
    >>| Ubuntu stood firm.
    >>|
    >>| [...]
    >>|
    >>| Well, Novell gained a few quarters of "coupon cash" from the deal (though
    >>| my sources at Novell say that customers aren't renewing their subscriptions
    >>| at a rate that Novell would like), but I hope it recognizes the value in
    >>| standing firm for openness. What little wind it got puffed into its sails
    >>| from its interoperability lock-up with Microsoft just dissipated.
    >> `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    > Why would they renew subscriptions? Â*They weren't getting anything...
    > other than, perhaps, a lot of bad publicity.

    That was a very good leak from him. He has ex-coworkers at Novell. Previous he
    spoke about the stuff exodus, Novell cooking the book, and more.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Falsity implies anything